Start by marking “The Friend Who Lied” as Want to Read:
The Friend Who Lied

The Friend Who Lied

Five entered the escape room. Only four came out alive.

Lisa Ashton receives a last-minute reprieve from death two weeks before her birthday. Regaining consciousness, she is horrified to learn one of her friends has been killed – and saved her life.

As she recovers, she uncovers a trail of carefully guarded reputations, disturbing rumours, and lies. Soon, Lisa begins to wond
Published June 9th 2019 by Saxon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Friend Who Lied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friend Who Lied

Start your review of The Friend Who Lied
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am thrilled to share my first Rachel Amphlett book! This was a super quick thrill ride!

Two weeks before her birthday, Lisa regains consciousness to find out a friend of hers has passed away but also saved her life. This all happened while the five friends were in an escape room.

Lisa slowly recovers and learns of a massive amount of secrets and lies. She thinks a friend of hers is hiding something big.

Lisa wants to figure out what happened to her friend, even though she struggles to remember
Brenda
Lisa Ashton’s health had been deteriorating rapidly – the five friends decided to do the fun activities at the escape room as a last group activity with Lisa. When Lisa woke in the hospital, she couldn’t remember much of what happened that day – what she knew though, was that she was alive and one of her friends was dead.

Bec, David, Hayley, Simon and Lisa had been friends for a long time. Even when a couple of them went their own way, they invariably ended up back together again. But something s
Amy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imagine needing a kidney transplant or you’ll die. Then imagine you find a donor just in the nick of time but that donor is actually a close friend and they pass away in order for you to live. Intense stuff and that’s exactly what happens to Lisa. Throw in a good old fashioned whodunnit and I’m hooked!

I love a locked room mystery and this had a clever twist as it takes place when a group of friends visits an escape room, which gave the whole thing a really modern vibe. Having a small pool of sus
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Lisa who was nearly at death’s door, wakes up in hospital having miraculously had a life saving transplant but at the cost of one of her friends lives. You can feel the emotional turmoil that she is going through at being grateful that she is alive but the guilt that surrounds it as she would never want for any of her friends to pay such a price.

This is a group of friends that have been together since their school days. There is obviously a bond there but yet all seem to be very guarded when it
Tracy Fenton
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Rachel Amphlett and is a standalone psychological thriller.

Lisa Ashton wakes up in hospital with the horrific realisation that in order for her to be alive someone has died. Her last memories before waking in hospital is celebrating her birthday with her best friends in an Escape Room and now one of them is dead and the others seem to be avoiding her.

Determined to work out how her friend died and what happened in the Escape Room, Lisa starts to dig deeper in
Meggy - Chocolate'n'Waffles
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love amazing crime fiction or spy novels, you probably know Rachel Amphlett. If you don’t… Where have you been????

Now, Rachel Amphlett steps into another genre, the psychological thriller. Some think a writer can master one genre, be good at a second, but that the chances of succeeding at a third are slim. Let me laugh and offer them a copy of The Friend Who Lied!

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer… But how close is too close?

Lisa wakes up in a hospital room. Her last memories
Els
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Take a group of very close friends, add a dramatic incident and suddenly you don’t know who to trust anymore because everybody seems to hide something. Nobody is to be trusted anymore and trying to find out the truth is turning into a true nightmare.

The author really has the ability to nail you to your chair and the book comes with a very strong glue so it’s impossible to put it down.

I loved the atmosphere she created and she kept you guessing who did what and why.

Honestly if I have to read ever
Nicki
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The panic room was supposed to be a exciting final get together,a early birthday present arranged for Lisa by her long time friends David,Bec,Hayley and Simon.

But something went terribly wrong,five people entered the panic room and only four came out.

Lisa has no recollection of what happened that night and once she leaves hospital is determined to uncover the truth. But the more questions she asks,the more confused she becomes. And as time passes,she begins to wonder if one of her friends is hid
Eva
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most of you are probably familiar with Rachel Amphlett and her outstanding crime fiction series featuring Kay Hunter. But now, Rachel Amphlett has come up with something a little different and has crossed over into the physological thriller genre.

Lisa Ashton wakes up in hospital. Soon Lisa realises that if she is alive, that means someone else is dead. As it turns out, that someone was a friend, Simon. Their little group of five was last together enjoying an escape room experience. Five entered
Caroline Mitchell
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed The Friend Who Lied, my first Rachel Amphlett book. This story revolved around a fascinating premise and galloped along at breakneck speed. With a cast of complex characters, you don't know who to believe. A belting thriller that I could not put down.
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
This is a new to me author and after reading this I’m excited to,read more of her books as I really enjoyed this story.

Lisa wakens up in hospital and finds out her life has changed forever. She goes from the joy of finding out she’s got a new lease of life after a transplant to the sorrow that one of her friends has died.

As her last memory was enjoying her birthday with her friends in an escape room so she needs answers to what’s happened.

Really great read. From start to finish I felt I was i
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Friend Who Lies is psychological thriller centres around Lisa Ashton and her friends Simon, David, Bec and Hayley. As a last hurrah Lisa and her friends go to an escape room but not all of them come out. She wakes up to find she’s had a life saving kidney transplant but the terrible news that one of her friends has died.

Unable to remember what happened, she tries to find out what happened but what will she do once she finds out the truth?

So this is my first Rachel Amphlett book, I’m late to
Rubina Gomes
Another amazing book from the magical pen of Rachel Amphlett!

Lisa, Hayley, Bec, David and Simon are five friends who are celebrating Lisa's supposed last birthday, who only has a couple of weeks left to live. All five of them enter the Escape Room but only four come out alive. Simon doesn't make it out alive but his kidney give life to Lisa. Lisa is horrified to learn about Simon's fate but she doesn't understand what exactly happened in the escape room. Since she has no recollection of what ha
Misfits farm
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: June 11th 2019

"Not one of them thought to ask if what was printed was the truth. They never do."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Lel Budge
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY REVIEW

This starts with Lisa waking up in hospital, her first thought is that someone must have died. She has been very ill and needed a kidney transplant to stay alive and was only a short while from dying…..

She has no memory of the night she collapsed, other than a night out with her four friends to an escape room…one last chance to have fun together before she became too ill.

The story is told from multiple perspectives, Lisa being the main character, but David, Bec and Hayley also tell thei
Donna Maguire

I thought that this book was excellent!!

I loved the suspense that the author built up as you are guessing throughout the book about what happened, who was responsible, and I found that to be thoroughly enjoyable, I love a book that keeps me on my toes right to the end!

I thought that the characters were excellent, very well developed and I loved seeing their personalities and backstories being revealed as the book progressed.

The plot was excellent and it ha
Ellen
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Amphlett is one of my favourite authors, I love her Kay Hunter series, so I couldn't wait to read this standalone psychological thriller.

Lisa Ashton receives a last-minute reprieve from death two weeks before her birthday. On her recovery she is horrified to learn one of her friends has been killed and saved her life. As she recovers, she uncovers a trail of carefully guarded reputations, disturbing rumours, and lies. Lisa begins to wonder if one or more of her friends is hiding a terrib
Carol Peace
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I loved my first foray into Rachel Amphlett books as this was a great book.
Lisa needs a kidney transplant and for her birthday celebrations her four friends decide to have one last blow out and they experienced went along to the Escape room, but things didn't quite go to plan and one of the friends is now dead. Lisa realises that she has had he transplant but she has no recollection of what happened in the room or in the aftermath, it is pieced back together bit by bit by each friend telling the
Janine
I didn’t enjoy this as much as her Kay Hunter books as it jumped around and none of the characters were particularly likeable.
Kerry
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow
Claire Stibbe
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a tangled web of intrigue Rachel Amphlett has created. This is a book about terrible secrets that can thrive in the most intimate of relationships, and deftly tackles unreliable narrators. It's not often that I devour a work of fiction, buttressed with great writing, but I was catapulted into the first 16 chapters before I realised what page I was on.

Disorientated and anxious Lisa Ashton, wakes up in hospital after having an operation. Devastated to learn of Simon Granger’s death, she has n
Kerry Bridges
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Lisa and four of her friends go out to "celebrate"; she needs a kidney transplant and she's running out of time so they need to do something fairly sedate, like go to an Escape Room perhaps. Then Lisa wakes up in hospital and it turns out that the Escape Room wasn't such a good idea, particularly since not everyone managed to escape!

This is a fairly predictable thriller told from multiple points of view - mostly Lisa who doesn't really know what happened, but also David, Hayley and Bec who were
Jen
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-challenge
The Friend Who Lied is Rachel Amphlett’s first foray into the world of the psychological thriller, and I have to say that if this is the first, I can’t wait to see if there will be a repeat performance.

From the start of the book we are introduced to Lisa, a young woman who wakes to find her whole life has changed, to the better for her, but with devastating consequences for her friends. She receives a life saving transplant but at a great personal cost, but what she doesn’t know, and what her fr
Michelle Ryles
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-read
I've had my eye on Rachel Amphlett's books for a while now but I had never got around to reading one until now. What a book to start with; The Friend Who Lied is so tense and compelling that I could hardly tear my eyes away from the pages. I definitely have the Rachel Amphlett bug now.

I was hooked right from the start when Lisa wakes up in hospital after a kidney transplant, only to find out that she is alive because one of her friends has died. This close knit group of five have been friends si
Karen
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
When Lisa Ashton awakes in hospital after a lifesaving operation she has no recollection of events immediately before. All she remembers is being with her four friends at an escape room event celebrating what may have been her last birthday and then …. nothing. One person didn’t make it out of that room. That person has saved Lisa’s life.

This is the first standalone thriller from Rachel Amphlett and is a suspenseful and intriguing read filled with unreliable narrators. Told from multiple poi
Mandie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every now and again I feel that I just collect books, fully intending to read them but not being one of the quickest readers and with life sometimes getting in the way they just seem to pile up leaving me feeling guilty. Having finally found a bit of time to myself I jumped at the chance to read the Friend Who Lied. This book not only helped restore my real love of reading but kept me so intrigued by it that I devoured it in one day.
We meet Lisa who has been handed a gift that will mean that sh
Grace J Reviewerlady
Another riveting read from the pen (laptop?) of Rachel Amphlett, an author I have followed for quite some time – and I won’t be giving up any time soon!

Lisa was badly in need of a new kidney; with her health failing fast and no signs of a suitable donor, she heads out with her friends to celebrate her soon-to-be birthday; will she ever reach her next milestone? We join Lisa as she wakes up in hospital, in pain, and in recovery after her transplant. How did this miracle come about? Due to a very
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Why oh why have I not read this author before? Where have I been?

From page one the story had me hooked.  Lisa needs a kidney transplant and the only known match has refused to go through with it.  Wanting to spend time with her four close friends for the last time, they arrange to visit an escape room but only four survive. Waking in a hospital room with distorted and limited memories of what had happened, Lisa finds herself confused and unsure of what really happened in there and who to trust.
Kristin's Novel Cafe
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five friends join in for some Escape Room fun, but only four come out alive. As soon as I read this, I knew I had to read The Friend Who Lied. Stories of this caliber have always interested me. What happened in there? Why can’t everyone remember? What exactly is the truth and who can you trust???

The story starts out with Lisa in the hospital after enduring a kidney transplant. As she is recovering she learns the kidney donor is none other than her friend, Simon. The last she remembers is enterin

• Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • A Face in the Crowd
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • Bold Lies (DI Kelly Porter, #5)
  • Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)
  • The Babysitter
  • The Silent Ones
  • The School Friend
  • Now You See Me
  • The Closer I Get
  • Truth or Die (D.S. Imogen Grey, #5)
  • Whisper in the Night (Detectives Kane and Alton #6)
  • The Dare (Detective Natalie Ward #3)
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • Familiar Strangers
  • The Marriage Betrayal
  • The Essence of Evil (D.I. Dani Stephens, #1)
Before turning to writing, Rachel Amphlett played guitar in bands, worked as a film extra and freelanced in radio as a presenter and producer for the BBC.

She now wields a pen instead of a plectrum and is a bestselling author of crime fiction and spy thrillers, many of which have been translated worldwide.

Her novels are available in eBook, print, large print and audiobook formats from libraries and