Start by marking “The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)

The Fearing: Fire and Rain

(The Fearing #1)

John F.D. Taff's highly-anticipated epic supernatural thriller, The Fearing, begins with Book One: Fire & Rain where humanity faces a series of catastrophes spawned by a worldwide event that unleashes all of mankind's greatest fears.

In the American high desert, vacationers returning from a road trip are thrust into a heart-stopping flight from death as they try to
Published July 9th 2019 by Grey Matter Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fearing

Start your review of The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cemetery-dance
I'm really looking forward to writing up my review for Cemetery Dance. I have so many feelings! So many thoughts! I'm actually dying inside that this book is scheduled to be released in 3 more parts after this one--trust me, when you finish book one, there will be a book-sized hole in your heart where the rest of the story should be.
Anyhoodles,
Recommending for fans of epic, apocalyptic horror like The Stand and Swan Song. Also people who love characters you can latch on to--stories that ignite
Mindi
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So yeah, you need this book. And you're going to need all the books that follow. Because this is the kind of horror I'm always looking for and hoping to find. This is the kind of horror I'm constantly seeking, nay the kind of writing, period.

This is a book event that I'm so excited about. And yes, this is an event. Many of us remember when Stephen King released The Green Mile series as a serial. King wrote the book, and then the publisher serialized the story, releasing only a few chapters at a
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Fire & Rain
#2 Water & Wind ?

He was too much of the world, and the world was too much of him.

Holy crap, that was such a fun little ride! This was my first time reading anything by John F.D. Taff, but a lot of my friends have raved about his works to me, so I had high hopes — and I definitely wasn't disappointed. The first chapter comes in with a bang, and it's a constant series of twists and turns and suspense from there until the last page.

The story switches perspectives between a
Michael Hicks
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My review of THE FEARING: FIRE AND RAIN can be found at High Fever Books.

In May, I was fortunate enough to hear John F.D. Taff read the opening chapter from book one of his serialized novel, The Fearing, at StokerCon 2019. It clearly establishes the character of Adam Sigel and his plethora of fears, and hinges on a remarkable twist that sets the trajectory for what follows. As Taff read the final words of chapter one, you could feel the momentous nature of the work itself and he left those of us
Emily
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
"He was too much of the world, and the world was too much of him."

The Fearing: Fire & Rain was my introduction to John FD Taff. Sometimes I have a hard time getting invested in post-apocalyptic stories, but this one grabbed my attention. I think this is the first time I've checked out a serial novel, and I'm definitely interested in seeing how it turns out. I'm very curious to know what is going on, and I can't wait for the next installment!
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"He was too much of the world, and the world was too much of him."

Well, goddamn.

WHY MUST WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR PART TWO?! I NEED THE REST IMMEDIATELY! Ahhh!

Indeed, The Fearing is a serialized release! It's comprised of four parts - this first installment is Fire and Rain, part two will be called Water and Wind, part three is Air and Dust, and the final part? Earth & Ember! I can't help but immediately love those titles. I mean.. COME ON!

Being a serial, this of course made me think of King's
Scott Kemper
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, let’s talk about the end of the world. Apocalyptic fiction has always existed. We can go back to Mary Shelley with her novel The Last Man. Even in religion, we often create an apocalyptic narrative of how our society and our achievements will crumble and fall. But, apocalyptic fiction differs from religious stories. Apocalyptic fiction deals with mankind and how mankind faces death. In most apocalyptic stories, mankind doesn’t give up, at least not without a fight. Even when the planet is in ...more
Jamie Stewart
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book encouraged by Sadie Hartmann’s fantastic review. Boy am I glad I did. There is a publishing event happening this year and that is the four book series called The Fearing. An event that is not unlike when Stephen King was publishing The Green Mile in segments.

The Fearing Book One: Fire and Rain is an end of the world story told from multiple character perspectives in various different locations in the USA. Despite, its short length of less than a hundred pages you are
Tracy Robinson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m definitely a fan of Taff’s writing, and this installment of his new serial novel is no exception. So far it’s meeting all of the things I enjoy in a post-apocalyptic read: engaging characters, a large territory to cover, and unusual happenings.

I really like where the author is headed with this one in regards to “the problem” and I’m curious to see how the character of Adam develops as well as what happens to the group of teens...except Carli, ha.
Tim
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Man can John F D Taff write. I was hooked from the first page. This is the first part of a serial that will be at least four parts. This book introduced the main characters and set events in motion. Not all of the characters are likeable but the author has made them all interesting and compelling. The pace was just about perfect. The action has just started but I read this in one day. The writing just flowed as well as could be expected. This is the first thing I have read by the author but I ...more
Toni | Dark Reads
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Fearing so far is fast paced and has left me with a creeping sense of dread for what is yet to come!

The Fear is coming. All of it.

You are going to need to get yourself a copy of this book!

Read My full review here

D. Ward
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
John F.D. Taff and the clever folks at Grey Matter Press have concocted this nefarious plan to drive readers insane by releasing this great big post-apocalyptic story as little novellas. Just enough to whet one's appetite and get you asking a thousand questions. But that's okay. I'm on the hook for the remaining books in the series because this is some compelling storytelling. I would expect nothing less than pitch-perfect writing from the "King of Pain" and in FIRE AND RAIN he does not ...more
The Grim Reader
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Grim Reader loves a good apocalypse, especially when the world's end is in the more than capable hands of my favourite horror writer, John F D Taff. So what does John do in The Fearing (Fire and Rain, #1) that hasn't been done a million times already? Well the formula John employs is tried and tested: we follow various characters as they navigate the world's end. Oceans rise, grounds quake etc, etc. It's early days but I already feel pretty invested in the outcomes of the cast so that's ...more
Jamie
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of meeting John F.D. Taff at this year's StokerCon, where he was generously gifting copies to readers. I was so excited to read this, especially after hearing all the buzz from other attendees, telling me all about his wonderful writing skill. This story did not disappoint.

From the first chapter, I was drawn in, and the adventure never let up. I'll be honest in sharing that apocalyptic horror is typically lower on my list than other sub-genres, but this series has me
Gavin
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full Review To Follow On Kendall Reviews

98 pages of engaging, epic, apocalyptic horror.

How John F.D. Taff has created strong characters and set up an epic horror of near biblical proportions in so few pages is testament to his skill as a writer.

Superb.

I can't wait for Part 2.
Kim Napolitano
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted the ARC and I want more immediately!! I’m holding back full review until release because any reviews now is a spoiler! I’m blown away and apocalyptic horror is some of my favorite kind and this one grabbed me! Adding Mr. Taff to my must read list and you should too! Book one of The Fearing not even out and I need book two, yesterday!
D.K. Hundt
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author, John F.D. Taff, lives in the wilds of Illinois with his wife, two cats, and three pugs, and has been writing for nearly thirty years, with more than ninety short stories and five novels in print. Taff’s work also appears in Dark Visions I, Ominous Realities, Death’s Realm, Savage Beasts, Gutted, Behold and Shadows Over Main Street 2, The Seven Deadliest, among many others. In 2012, Taff’s collection Little Deaths was named the best horror fiction collection by HorrorTalk. I just finished ...more
BookLoversLife
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
I. NEED. THE. REST!!! This is my first book by this author, but it definitely won't be my last. This was everything I wanted in an apocalyptic horror book, and what impressed me more was that the story is only just starting.

The plot was compelling, unique and terrifying! This is being released as a serial and the author did an amazing job of setting the scene for what seems to be an amazing book. We meet quite a few different people but each is setting the scene to a much larger picture. We get
Kevin Jones
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you fear most?

This was a wild ride following three different storylines as the world comes to an apocalyptic end. I liked the alternating narrative from a group of teenagers grappling with the aftermath of a devastating tornado, to a group of senior citizens trying to return home to Phoenix on a tour bus, to the mysterious Adam Sigel releasing his fears on the world and peering into people's deepest fears. The pacing of the story was perfect as the the horrors unfold quickly following
Armand Rosamilia
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Only John FD Taff could create a cast of surprising characters and dump them into a mysterious landscape. The first part keeps you guessing as to what is coming next... and I need to read what comes next!
Jonathan Tripp
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was hella good! Can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series! This is my first read by Taff and I'm an instant fan!
James Sabata
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I was a little boy, I’ve believed that Hell is completely individualized to each soul unfortunate enough to go there…. John FD Taff may have just proven me correct.

The Fearing is John FD Taff’s new serialized novel and I’m loving the concept. I remember when Stephen King serialized with The Green Mile and at that point, I wondered why more authors didn’t do this… well, it’s been 23 years since then and I still wonder why more authors don’t serialize novels. In this crazy busy world,
David
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
I loved this story from the get go. My review to coming soon.
Becca
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Grey Matter Press for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review!

All that fear, all that glorious, wonderful, unnecessary fear.

My fear? That I’m not going to give The Fearing the amount of credit it deserves in this review.

The Fearing: Fire and Rain is the first book in John F.D. Taff’s serial. & my introduction to the man, himself. As we speak, I’m placing two of his other books on my Goodreads TBR, because I need more of Taff’s work. & I need it ASAP.

This entry in
David Burnham
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not a fan of spoiler-ridden book reviews, so I’m going to try to give you my thoughts on this title without giving too much away to detract from your reading pleasure.

First of all, let me say a big “thank you” to Anthony Rivera and Grey Matter Press for the advanced reader copy. I read “The Fearing - Book One – Fire & Rain” by John F.D. Taff over the course of a couple of evenings and loved it. I was hooked from the first word to the last.

I’ve read several of Taff’s titles and enjoy his
Adam House
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing I can write here that hasn't been said in another review already. But, I will add: you can't go wrong if it's written by John F.D. Taff. He always brings his A-game.

Read 'The Fearing.'
5/5 Stars
Stephen Combs
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Fearing: Book 1 Fire and Rain
By John F. D. Taff

“I will show fear in a handful of dust”
-T. S. Eliot

The Fearing opens with Adam Siegel, a man that is scared of everything. What follows is the opening book in a serial novel that is going to be epic. Taff drops us into a world that is in chaos. This has the feeling of a tremendous apocalyptic tale in the vein of Swan Song and The Stand. When we meet Adam Siegel he seems weak and fragile but we learn that he is much more. The vacationers in
R D Doan
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taff exploits your fears effortlessly in this book as the apocalypse arrives. The characters feel so real and likable (or unlikable when needed). The story jumps right into action and leaves you on the edge of your seat! The story reminds me of The Stand in some ways, and I can’t wait to read the next installment!
Michael
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5.5 stars. The story hooked me immediately. Waiting for the next installment is going to drive me crazy.
Aina
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, review-copies
The Fearing is an apocalyptic tale which will be released in four parts over the next four months. This is the first time I'm reading a book in a serialised format so I'm excited to participate! And this is a fantastic opening to the book, full of tension and chaos and horror. There are three points of views, and I'm drawn to all the characters. I'm afraid for them and whatever's in store. I was particularly surprised by the turn of the character Adam but in a good way!

I thought that the
« previous 1 3 next »

• Remains
  • The Pale White
  • The Resurrectionists (Salem Hawley, #1)
  • The Dark Game
  • Slash
  • Walk The Darkness Down
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • Dear Laura
  • In the Scrape
  • Spicy Constellation & Other Recipes
  • Rites of Extinction
  • We Live Inside Your Eyes
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • Ritual

The Fearing (4 books)
  • The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
  • The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)
  • The Fearing: Earth and Ember (The Fearing #4)