Start by marking “Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1)” as Want to Read:
Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1)

Shockwave

(Star Kingdom #1)

What if being a hero was encoded in your genes?

And nobody told you?

Casmir Dabrowski would laugh if someone asked him that. After all, he had to build a robot to protect himself from bullies when he was in school.

Fortunately, life is a little better these days. He's an accomplished robotics engineer, a respected professor, and he almost never gets picked on in the lunchroom
Published May 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Shockwave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shockwave

Lynn
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing start to the series.

Casmir is a mostly normal, nerdy guy next door except for the fact that he is incredibly smart and gifted with robots. His life is pretty normal until one day when killer robots give chase. His roommate and friend Kim gets wrapped up in his escape. He ends up in outer space trying to figure out why the killer robots are after him and also trying to stay alive. There are some mysteries that are hinted at, action and adventure galore.
Marvelous Morgan
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book and will definitely be reading the next one in the series.

However, I don't think I would recommend as your first Lindsay Buroker book. She's one of my top 3 favorite authors so personally, I feel like I hold her to a higher level of standard. If I was recommending a book it would be her Emperor's Edge and/or her Fallen Empire series.

Don't get me wrong the book was still great and I loved the adventure it took me on I just liked some of her other book series better. And if you
Frances Law
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The rise of an anti hero.

Casmir is a nerd. He lives on a planet where no gene therapy or manipulation is allowed. Because of this he has had to live with genetic problems, including seizures, that could have been rectified. He is not tall and has never taken up sports or exercise. He has, however, developed a quick wit to deal with all the bullies he has met in his life. His love of robots has led to him gaining the position of head of robotics in his university. He has also worked for the gover
Kelly
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*rubs hands together* Okay. A new adventure with bounty hunters, mercenaries (who could possibly be considered pirates), sweetly awkward professors who happen to be wicked smart, and genetically engineered bio-weapons that aren't going to be doing anyone any favors in the long run.

And the mystery of why Casmir Dabrowski (our aforementioned sweetly awkward professor) is suddenly the man everybody wants to get their hands on is...well, we get a few answers, but certainly not all of them. Yep, the
Cali
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. I love Lindsay Buroker’s books, but lately it feels like every thing is over explained and too cheesy? I’m not really sure what’s different. Overall, Shockwave was pretty decent. It just doesn’t compare with her earlier works. This one in particular felt like it took forever for the story to get anywhere.
Another thing. I love character quirks, I do not love when every single character gets 2-3 super unique quirks that completely define the character. Quirks shouldn’t define people, they sh
Barbara Comiskey
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Star Trek meets guardians of the Galaxy and the Rebel alliance.

Nice characterization of all players. Casmir has great humor ala Han Solo and Kim is quite the Spock. Laser is a female version of Quill and Qin similar to a Wookiee. I do not perceive Rache as a typical villain in the order of a Darth Vadar. however, his mystery will serve as a wonderful sub plot. I must keep reading.
subzero
Thoroughly enjoyable tiny-novel. As always the characters are cute, interesting and slightly weird.
Kristy Maitz
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The start was pulling and interesting. Story plot was fun to read until Casmir Dabrowski met his clone brother or his twin. From that on I did not like the character Casmir Dabrowski presented.
margaret4
*Gulp*...DNF☹
Veronica Reinhardt.e
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun Read

Well written, with interesting characters! Qin is essential to this story...a genetic mutation well suited to space and the conscience of Capt "Laser" Lopez. Without revealing anything, the twists are there, along with a great plot! Cassie is just geeky enough to keep you wondering, and his room-mate/alter ego Kim are perfect! Loved it, and cannot wait for the next episode. All in all a perfect Space Adventure for a rainy day.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Shockwave blends the stories of several different characters who are located at very different places. As the story progresses events are bringing them together. This is heavy on world building, back story and character introduction. Nothing is really solved but a lot is set up for future books in the series. A very good start to a new series.
John Clark
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Silly

The book just didn't grab me. It seemed silly. Maybe YA, don't know as I didn't get far. Sorry to author but it not for me.
Marti
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this tale, but I am disappointed that it ended with a cliffhanger. I HATE cliffhangers. While they came together at the end, the two different story lines seemed a bit choppy and difficult to keep straight for the first two-thirds of the book. The plot is (plots are) interesting and the characters are well fleshed out and realistic. I like the science fiction and am buying the next book in series because this IS Lindsay Buroker; it’s bound to get better!
Pamela
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay, not bad

It's just ok for me. The main character is likeable. I did not feel the spark I normally have when reading Lindsay's book. I'll see if the character arc and world grow on me from the second in the series.
Gerald Barber
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Star Kingdom

A bit different from typical Buroker but worth the read. I always enjoy her stories. This one is a fun romp. Unique characters and a goofy protagonist. I liked it. You will too.
Diane
May 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: syfi
It was disappointing, and not what I've come to expect from Lindsay's other books. I've really enjoyed most of her other series, but not this one.
Jim
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new author to me and a very good one. We start off being mis-directed by reading about Dr. Yas Peshlakai who is treating President Sophia Bakas. He seems to have done a good job and she appears to be well on her way to recover. The Doctor leaves to go home when he’s accosted by some various serious security forces who now claim he killed that same President. Fortunately or maybe not, he’s saved from an immediate execution by none other than Captain Tenebris Rache. Captain Rache is know through ...more
Riley
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A heroine (Captain Bonita) well past her youth, a brainy hero (Casmir Dabrowski) and a cleaning-obsessed AI ship (Viggo). What more could I ask for in a science fiction novel?

Bonita is jaded, but ever hopeful, taking on the modified young woman, Qin, who becomes the brawn of the crew. Bonita, otherwise known as Laser, has left her bounty hunting days behind and become a smuggler, a much tamer occupation. Well, that’s the theory. Things are not going to go that smoothly. Don’t you love it when a
Kara Prem
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book took a long time for me to get into. It was an interesting story, and I followed it easy enough, but there were a lot of characters to get familiar with, and I didn't see the tie in between the two main sets of characters until it was right up in my face. When everything meshed together it got better for me and I tore through the rest of the book pretty quickly, and am looking forward to reading more.

Casmir is a university professor on the planet of Odin, which is ruled by King Jager.
Marc Yergin
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Casimer Dabrowski is a quiet, mild-mannered university AI and robotics researcher. His quiet life is upended when a Star Kingdom knight, Sir Daniel Friedrich, arrives and warns Casimer to get out of town, even off the planet, and disappear in Star Kingdom Book 1: Crossfire.
At first he is hesitant and doesn’t want to but when two impregnable AI robots he helped develop in a secret military program and begin to chase him, he bolts. Along the way to a space port he picks up his roommate, Kim Sato.
Tan
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

4.5/5

GIVE ME MORE!

Oh how I fell in love with this book and in such away that I haven't in years. The characters, the story, the world. Everything seems so... great.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this as it was a spontaneous Amazon Kindle purchase but boy am I glad I did. As I said, I loved the story and the characters. It is the beginning of the series and does a mighty good job at that. Lindsay Buroker's Shockwave sucks you into the world of Odin and the Star Kingdom in s
Ziggy Nixon
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people looking for free scifi
Recommended to Ziggy by: Free Kindle offer
2 1/2 stars that I'll round up to 3 because reasons. One of the blandest sci-fi tales I've ever read but let's be honest, it was free. The next chapters fall under my Kindle Unlimited subscription but if Book 2 is even vaguely as unenticing as this first chapter, my 'Star Kingdom' journey will end pronto.

The book is not poorly written in a very basic, unchallenging way but it is extremely put-down-able and imho best digested in small portions. The characters are developed primarily through their
Fox
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 4-stars, 2019
4 star out of 5
A very good first book, about a nerdy robotics professor named Casimir Dabrowski who is is forced to run for his life when killer robots that he helped build show up to kill him.he is accompanied by his best friend and roommate Kim Sato, Bonita the captain of a space ship called dragon wit an AI called Viggo who used to be a human and Qin a Big cat girl who was made by the order of pirates.
Somebody wants Casimir dead and when he escapes with Bonita help who was smuggling some ille
Anna gillam
Aug 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read for enjoyment not moral lectures

We start off with a utopian society that has conquered aging, disease, etc, based on reason and logic, where the bad guys are a religious group. With such an sjw start, you know you're in for a rocky ride.

Our hero is a super genius, perfect in every way, who chose not to be a world-class athlete, specialized in rare fields, and a skilled warrior. Can you say "Mary sue"?

So we start the story with the fact that the president has been poisoned by the bad guts
Denise
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Did somebody say space pirates? Count me in!
It's always fun to delve into a new Lindsay Buroker universe, and it's been a while since her last sci-fi series. Shockwave introduces hapless robotics professor Casmir Dabrowski, who finds his workday interrupted by a cryptic warning - apparently sent by the mother whose identity he has never known - that he is in grave danger and needs to get off the planet ASAP. With said warning promptly confirmed by two killer robots trying to chase him down, he h
Shae
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a really fun book, I definitely enjoyed it and plan to read the whole series. This one kept me up until midnight, that's how much I loved reading it.
I did take away a star for the really fantasy name. Let's see... this story has knights, kingdoms, pirates, bounty hunters, mercenaries, and noble blood. Reread that sentence and tell me if you still expect this to be sci-fi. To be fair, the author did make up for the fantasy confusion by having a lot to say about genetic mutations, hybrids,
Rick Rider
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is a fun, funny, at times, and very entertaining story. The characters develop nicely; organically evolving into the basis for the further development of the story line. While the twists and turns that develop are almost predictable, they aren't. It is only after reading that they seem obvious, as if it should have been possible to know just what would happen. I take that as a sign that the story was well crafted, and not thrown together. I also very much appreciated the level of attention ...more
Patrick
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun, light

This is straight fun Space Opera. The universe is built with a lot of possibilities and only the parts needed for the story have much detail. That works out well for building it out as the story goes along.

The characters are Opera flat and it's written to pour as much depth as possible into the major characters. The balance makes it easy to care about the outcomes for some of these goofy or demented souls. The two major characters are clueless and you just know that reality is going t
Barbara
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Casmir Dabrowski is on the run from killer robots and his roommate Kim has been carried along with him in all the chaos. It’s a good thing because Casmir needs a friend about now, as he tries to figure out who’s trying to kill him. He’s a mild mannered professor and robotics engineer, so he is at a loss as to who would want to harm him. He catches the first ship into space, which is captained by Bonita “Laser” Lopez, with genetically modified co-pilot Qin and the former human turned ship’s compu ...more
The Mysterious Reader
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be it fantasy, steam punk, sci-fi or anything in between, Lindsay Buroker consistently pits out fantastic books. That’s no less true with Shockwave, first in her new Star Kingdom series. Casmir Dabrowski May not have been looking fir adventure or the need for heroics, but they found them nonetheless. If you live exciting adventure and books filled with bounty hunters, mercenaries, and pirates, (never mind Captain Tenebris Rache, the most feared criminal in the Star Kingdom) then this wonderfully ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.

Star Kingdom (5 books)
  • Ship of Ruin (Star Kingdom #2)
  • Hero Code (Star Kingdom #3)
  • Crossfire (Star Kingdom #4)
  • Gate Quest (Star Kingdom #5)