Start by marking “Shadows of Lancaster County” as Want to Read:

Shadows of Lancaster County

Following up on her extremely popular Gothic thriller, Whispers of the Bayou, Mindy Starns Clark offers another suspenseful stand?alone mystery full of Amish simplicity, dark shadows, and the light of God?s amazing grace.Anna thought she left the tragedies of the past behind when she moved from Pennsylvania to California, but when her brother vanishes from the genetics lab ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Lancaster County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Lancaster County

Start your review of Shadows of Lancaster County
T
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was not a typical Amish Book nor was it an Amish romance.
Michelle
About the book:

Anna thought she left the tragedies of the past behind when she moved from Pennsylvania to California, but when her brother vanishes from the genetics lab where he works, Anna has no choice but to head back home. Using skills well-honed in Silicon Valley, she follows the high-tech trail her brother left behind, a trail that leads from the simple world of Amish farming to the cutting edge of DNA research and gene mapping.

Anna knows she must depend on her instincts, her faith in G
 Barb Bailey
This is a mystery story set in Amish country , Lancaster PA. It is about the Amish people and their customs as well as Genetic DNA testing and research. I liked this story a lot . Although I had at one point or another chosen one " English" after another; I did not figure out "who done it" until the end. 3.5 stars from me
Kari Anderson
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
From Goodreads:
Anna Bailey thought she left the tragedies of the past behind when she took on a new identity and moved from Pennsylvania to California. But now that her brother has vanished and his wife is crying out for help, Anna knows she has no choice but to come out of hiding, go home, and find him. Back in Lancaster County, Anna follows the high-tech trail her brother left behind, a trail that leads from the simple world of Amish farming to the cutting edge of DNA research and gene therapy
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Annalise Jensen has a past she'd rather leave behind. Now living in California as Anna Bailey, she is lising a far cry from the Pennsylvania Dutch Country she grew up in. But, after a frantic call from her sister-in-law which alerts her to her brother's disappearance, Anna is sucked back into the past as well as thrust into a brand new mystery - where is her brother?

I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I enjoyed this. This was not my first foray into Christian Fiction, but it was the first time
Beverly
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, the second day of reading I picked up the book and just couldn't put it down, finishing well after midnight! I would be giving this book 4 1/2 out of 5 if I could. Such a wonderful blend of personal journey for Anna, mystery of missing and murdered persons, historical quests for missing jewels and for ones DNA roots due to possible genetically transmitted disease. So many stories that dovetail in a week of fear, travel, searching, hiding, discovering, grief and relief.
I couldn't quite giv
Rachel
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh. It was OK. Not typically a book I would choose to read, but my mother-in-law insisted that I borrow and read it. The first half was unbelievably slow. Then it picked up and got a little more interesting.

The story line was decent, It kept me interested. I didn't expect the outcome or the true identity of the murderer.

The whole religious aspect annoyed me through the whole book. Not the parts about the Amish and their religion, but the parts with Anna praying or going on about God for one r
Carol
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is set in Pennsylvania in Amish country and the story revolves around the Amish. It was a good story and I love the Amish philosophy on life that is brought out in telling the story. And it's a scary tale of what is happening right on in DNA research and how it can get really out of hand and scary.
Mary Hamilton
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a writer, I was amazed at the intricacies of the plot for this story. I can't imagine keeping all the different threads straight. Writing a story like this would drive me bonkers. But it's well-written and kept my interest all the way through. It offered interesting background from WWII and the setting in Amish country provided a nice contrast with the historical events.
Chrystal
Incredible book. Full of mystery, suspense, humor, heartache. Kept me guessing on each page. I loved it because it included my favorite topics of genealogy and family history, small town groups, as well as what can be learned from dna research of families. It was extremely clean, Amish and English characters commingling, and an occasional Christian message inserted felt natural.
Debra
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the characters and the romance. But, while some of the DNA detail was well researched, not all of it was. The same goes for the mystery the lead character has to solve. Enough details were either inaccurate or not fully explained to make it hard for me to buy into the story.
Abby Breuklander
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book, I couldn't put it down!!
Amy Beyrle
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting, but good. I really enjoyed all of the science/DNA story.
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Title: SHADOWS OF LANCASTER COUNTY
Author: Mindy Starns Clark
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
January 2009
ISBN: 978-0-7369-2447-4
Genre: Inspirational/suspense

What shadows darken the quiet valleys of Amish County?

Anna Bailey has worked hard to put the tragedies of the past behind her when she took on a new identity. She moved from Pennsylvania to California. Anna is caught off-guard when her sister-in-law calls her saying that Anna’s brother, Bobby, has disappeared and she needs help. Not only t
Stacy
Aug 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another good mystery from Mindy Starns Clark. I've read her Trouble with Tulip books and enjoyed them, and I also liked "Whispers of the Bayou". This one is similar to Whispers of the Bayou in that it's a good plot, and even though it can be a bit far-fetched in places, it's hard (for me) to figure and therefore a good page-turner.

I had expected a lot of Amish aspects to this book, based on the title. However, it's not overly "Amish", but merely set in that area with a bit of their history and h
Joianne D. Pettigrove
Intrigue and a bit or terror

Anna just wanted to get lost and live quietly. Her brother went missing and pulled her out of her self imposed exile. She returns to the last place she wants to be, her home town. Every turn brings the unexpected. Loved it.
Sandy
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shadows of Lancaster County was my first Mindy Starns Clark book and I really enjoyed it. It is full of twisting plots and unexpected discoveries.Just when I thought I had it all figured out, something else would happen that took me in an entirely different direction.

When Anne Bailey's brother, Bobby, disappears leaving behind his pregnant wife, Lydia, and his son, Isaac, she begins a search to find him. Leaving California where she had created a new life for herself far away from the crime that
Carla
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent book - very suspenseful, lots of plot turns and twists that were unexpected but not unbelievable. The ending seemed a little too contrived, almost with a rush to wrap things up quickly. I was surprised when it suddenly turned to a fast ending rather than building with slow momentum (like most suspense novels). This is Christian fiction, and I loved the way it portrayed the positives and negatives of various faiths (Amish, traditional Protestant, faith movements, etc.). There wasn't so ...more
Christy Lockstein
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shadows of Lancaster County by Mindy Starns Clark if a suspense novel chockfull of twisting plots and unexpected discoveries. Anne Bailey has created a new life for herself in California. Far away from her childhood home in Lancaster County,Pennsylvania and from the crime that destroyed her future. When her brother Bobby disappears leaving behind pregnant wife Lydia and son Isaac, Anne sets out to find him. That quest sets her on a course that will unearth secrets about DNA, long-lost gems, and ...more
Jenna Moore
You won't go wrong with Mindy Starns Clark's triple wrapped mystery. Definitely the most enjoyable in Grandame's stack of books so far, Shadows of Lancaster County is engaging and well paced. The characters had a good balance of mystery and development. My one objection is the unfortunate whodunit plot twist.

(view spoiler)
Carrie Garza
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anna Bailey left her Pennsylvania home and reinvented her life years ago. After being convicted of manslaughter along with her brother and three best friends as a teenager, she needed a new start away from the media that stalked her and the guilt that haunted her.
When her sister.in-law calls her, frantic because her brother Bobby has gone missing, she knows she has to go back. She reconnects with family and friends and Reed Thornton, the only man she has ever loved.
This is a mystery in every sen
Nomski
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm in a weird book book club at work, and this was our first book: an "Amish mystery" is the way it was described to me. It's got some Amish bits and pieces, mostly as the setting of the main story, but it's generally a modern story. It's not written especially well, and there were times I just rolled my eyes and skipped ahead a paragraph or two... Or three... All in all, though, it kept me generally interested enough to finish the book. Not really the sort of thing I'd read for my own pleasure ...more
Lyn
Aug 31, 2010 added it
Recommends it for: anybody who enjoys a mystery
Shadows of Lancaster County was the 2nd book I've read by Mindy Starns Clark. In both, she has woven a thread from the past with the mystery in the present. She also infuses her characters with life and vulnerability. She made me care very much about her characters. I enjoyed the surprise reveal at the end. I'm not one of those people who want to guess ahead of time who the villain is. I like surprises and Mindy Starns Clark wowwed me. I highly recommend this intriguing story.
Ellen White
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A teenage mishap, changed five lives. This story begins with Anna, a new name and now in Calif, working as a skip tracer. A call saying her brother is missing, and if that ever happened to call her. She reluctantly returns to the town and people of her past,with intruders, murder, and no answer.this was a complex plot, giving one the in site to Amish, DNA and hidden history of her family. Readers will wonder how this will get solved, with surprises along the way
K. dusty Roberson
Shadows of Lancaster County

A delightful mystery full of potential romance, suspicions, suspended trust and unwavering belief and loyalty in Anna’s fellow characters. Includes exposure to topics unknown and current shedding light in areas once dim. Just as you think the mystery is solved, new twists and turns emerge leaving you wanting more! I can’t wait to read another of her books, leaving sleep for later!!
Ragan Balzer
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
While enjoyable, I think there were a couple too many story lines going on in this book. would have been great to stick with 1 story line, like the genealogy or the unlawful dna stuff, but to mix them together was a little bit much. I did enjoy the book, but would have enjoyed it a little more with one story line.
Ruth
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing mystery

Mindy Starns Clark held her reader captive with a developing mystery that at first seemed like a nice story about two roommates living in a beach home in California. The story blossomed with an Amish history of their family and a current day murder mystery. I loved it!
Lee
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book challenged me to not assume that because someone is found guilty in the courts that they were guilty of a crime. It showed me that judgine someone from what appears as truth is wrong. It gave me hope for justice sometimes not waiting for heaven, but sometimes gifted on earth.
Cheryl-Lynn
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It's been a while since I've read a Christian suspense novel. Of course, it has some romance too. It's interesting to read a bit more about the Amish culture. Seeing how the mystery unfolded was entertaining.
Kelly
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I enjoyed the history, the science and the mystery. I just read about Stephanie de Beauharnaise on the internet and she was a real person. I love when an author works history into their novel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Timepiece
  • The Secret (Seasons of Grace, #1)
  • The Tinderbox
  • Two Suitors for Anna (Keepsake Pocket Quilt #3)
  • Anna's Crossing (Amish Beginnings #1)
  • Mending Fences (The Deacon's Family, #1)
  • The Teacher's Bride (Amish Brides of Birch Creek #1)
  • Unspoken
  • Amish Outsider (River Haven #1)
  • The Ebb Tide
  • Christmas at Rose Hill Farm: An Amish Love Story (Stoney Ridge Seasons, #4)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • Treasured Grace (Heart of the Frontier, #1)
  • The Missing (Seasons of Grace, #2)
  • A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction, #2)
  • The First Love
  • Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly, #2)
  • A Plain Leaving (The Sisters of Lancaster County #1)
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

News & Interviews