Start by marking “Turbulent (Days of Want #1)” as Want to Read:
Turbulent (Days of Want #1)

Turbulent

(Days of Want #1)

In an instant, everything stops. No lights. No phones. No transportation.

When coordinated EMP and Cyber attacks wipe out the nation’s power grid and communications, ultra-marathon runner, Maddie Langston, is forced to run for her life.

Stranded in a Chicago airport when the lights go out, Maddie is in a race against time. According to her father, she doesn’t have long
Published May 14th 2019 by Shaky Rock Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Turbulent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turbulent

Start your review of Turbulent (Days of Want #1)
Diana Gioia
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too much back and forth between charade for my liking
Rebbekka-Mae Swan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
It was ok

I've read better than this , these all seem to follow the exact same pattern... far fetched, they start out good but rapidly turn rubbish
Guy Waukcinebar
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read what seems like a hundred post apocalyptic novels from various authors. Some of them seem to be aimed at younger teenagers and this is one of them.
Pam Dutcher
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Compelling read.

Kept my attention throughout, with well crafted characters and a snappy pace. Has a unique plot that doesn't copy other EMP disaster novels and I've read dozens of these. Altogether an enjoyable book. I'm looking forward to the next installment and can't believe I'll have to wait until 2019 for the third. My thanks to the author!
Shanna Tidwell
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While there’s not a whole lot of new ideas here the story is still really good. I read and listen to a ton of SHTF and post apocalyptic type books. One sure way to get me interested in listening to your book is have Kevin Pierce narrate it. I am on of his voice groupies.
People say oh it’s awfully convenient how the characters have survival skills. Well yes it is! That’s what the book is about. People who were somewhat prepared by a loved one to survive in this type of situation. People who aren
Jeff
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story fits the formula for dystopian fiction, including the cliffhanger ending. Kevin Pierce performs as expected, but I simply cannot evaluate an unfinished story.

Note: I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Bernie
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Turbulent review

Turbulent is the first excellent post apocalyptic survival book in the Days of Want series written by author T. L. Payne.
RJ
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another apocalypse/survival tale brought on by an EMP attack by coordinated enemies. Our heroine Maddie Langston is stuck at the Chicago airport on her way home to Ohio from a marathon run challenge. As the lights go out, electronics fail, and planes fall from the sky Maddie must find a way home. Initially, Maddie joins up with the Andrews family to make it out of the airport, but this group does not last long. The violence in the streets is inescapable and immediate. Maddie winds up in custody ...more
Chris Wells
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What would people do if the unthinkable happened? That’s what TL Payne tries to answer with this book about an EMP attack over the United States. Unlike a lot of apocalypse stories that focus on one character, or one group, this one covers many people in different situations including those in authority. I enjoyed this take on things and it was interesting to see how their decisions affected people ‘on the street’. Things deteriorate very quickly for those people ‘on the street’ and we follow ...more
Jane Balke Andersen
End of the world scenario books are very popular and there is an abundance of them. I feel this is a Young Adult novel, but there are some acts of violence in here that are awful.

This was not terrible, but not good. There was nothing unusual or particularly interesting or different here for me. It felt very derivative and I have read others in a similar vein that were more original or interesting in some way.

Many readers will find the constant shifting of perspective as seen through multiple
Fiona Chislett
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The scary part of this book is that the concept behind the storyline has the potential or possibility of actually occurring given the state of the worlds politics. This book will keep you avidly turning the pages as the suspense, tension and ongoing action unfolds. There are parts where it is graphically written with gut churning realism. However, the government and their disaster planning sections of the book I could take or leave as I felt it detracted from the real story of the characters ...more
Candy Robosky
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Turbulent shares the stories of multitude of people trying to survive in the first days of an EMP apocalypse. While some of them are actually related they are all intertwined in their stories. I enjoyed the style of writing going in between the different stories. There was a bit of a jump at the end that felt rushed but overall I found it realistic as unfortunately there are many reasons in today's society why the bad will often come out in this situation while there will still be a few that ...more
Jean Labrador
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great Post Apocalyptic Book

This is the first book I have read by T. L. Payne, bit it will not be the last by any means. This book was a pleasure to read even though some would think the subject horrifying. It was a pleasure to read a well thought out narrative. It was a pleasure to read about relatable characters, and the pace was fastens to the point without being confusing or overwhelming. I stayed up until four o'clock in the morning finishing this first book in the series as quickly as
Jinnie Lettkeman
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Story But Why Knock FEMA

Spoiler Alert!! The storyline was pretty interesting, though I cannot understand why Maddie’s mom would marry such a douche. Also, it’s unrealistic to think Maddie and Emma could travel that far, and that fast, each day. Lastly, I hope you don’t really believe FEMA is interested in turning any camps into internment camps. I work for FEMA, and we aren’t interested in running any detainee camp, ever. We may not be capable of helping the way people expect us to, but we
Bekah B
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popsugar, golden-trio
I was given an advanced readers copy of this book by the author in return for an honest review.
I'll start by saying that if you enjoy reading post apocalyptic survival fiction then you will definitely enjoy this one. The thing that stood out to me was that the protagonist neither already had military experience/training or quickly met up with someone who was military/ex-military and this made a refreshing change. The events that happened in the book are believable which made it more relatable
Charles Leslie Breeding
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

The book was decently written, although there were numerous grammatical errors, which did not dramatically affect the story. What distracted me was when the brothers attacked Maddie the author totally lost the young girl, which was accompanying her. The girl was there before the attack but when the brothers searched the house no mention of her was made, even though the older brother saw her arrive with Maddie. Other than that I found the story interesting and captivating.
Hilary Whatley
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
"This audiobook was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review."

Solid story, you won't be disappointed. Narration is good. The pacing is great, although I would like a little more slow spots to learn more about the characters and see them develop their relationships to each other more. I am not sure if a crisis like this would lead to the extent of violence portrayed in this book, but either way, I would prefer less in a story I am reading. Regardless, I'll want to
Susan C. O'Neal
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Eye Opener

What will you and your family do if faced with an attack on U.S. soil again. A far reaching attack could cripple
our country leaving everyone to survive on their own. This book gives a glimpse of what it could be like for family
members caught away from home after an attack. Good food for thought. Be Prepared as the Scout motto
dictates. This story is about one such family and how they prepared for the worse situation possible. I am anxious to read the next book in this series.
Nathan  Farley
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
EMP for the times now.

I did not know why I wanted to read a EMP book right now. With everything that is going on right now. I read a lot of different descriptions of other books. But I knew that this was the best. A totally different perspective then all of the others. Instead of a business man stuck in a big city. Or a single parent. This is a story that has some of that. But a deeper story. Also the end of this book is like no other. Good end but a whole new way of writing.
Beatrice Followill
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Siblings Maddie and Zach two of the main characters in this post apocalyptic story are miles apart from each other when the unthinkable happens, their father had taught them both how to survive in case something like this occurs which helps both of them during the crisis ahead. Realistic view of what could take place , good and bad ,theft, violence's, among other things you would see in a story like this . Though there are many stories about this event , I felt this story was unique and not what ...more
Susan
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
America Attacked

An EMP set off by NK has wreaked havoc in most of middle America. So Maddie a marathon runner and a 10 year old girl struggle to escape Chicago which is just a little more dangerous than normal. Somehow this 10 year old keeps up with Maddie as they deal with some dangerous situations. That was harder to believe than the EMP. But it is a well written story and I’m sure others will enjoy it. I hope the US nukes the enemy in book two.
Coralee Malinich
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nicely different EMP story

I’m pleased with the storyline being different than most of the other apocalyptic series. As usual I have to complain about the language used by main characters. I understand it’s usefulness in describing characters like Carl, but most normal people don’t use the “f” word in regular conversation. I just wish that good writers like Ms. Payne didn’t feel the need to use it.
Tracey
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Makes you think!

As I read this book it really made me stop and think. I wondered if I could be as strong as Maddie.
Maddie is a young woman caught in a terrible situation. That because of the trading she recited from her father, is able to survive. Although her skills are rusty, she persevered. .
I won't say more, as I don't want to spoil it for yall. But I will say this, Turbulent is a great read that is hard to put down!
Dknees
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this but not surprised with my love of apocalypse/survival books.

What a lovely book to start 2020 with. I found I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. Was maddie and her family going to reunite? Would they all survive? There were also parts I found funny surrounding Carl and Kelly and Zach’s storylines.

I truly did love this short and fast-paced book. It definetly didn’t drag and was all about survival which I love. I can’t wait to carry on the series.

4.5*
Shirley Fedorak
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How would you react if the lights went out? Forever. This is the story of one young woman's struggle to reach her family and safety while the world around her descends into chaos. T.L. Payne's new dystopian novel takes us to street level and forces us to examine our own preparedness for a major disaster. A very enjoyable read, full of tension and excitement. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Patricia
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riveting

This story caught my attention right from the very beginning and didn't let go until the very end. Eye opening and disturbing in many ways. When society falls and there are no consequences for bad deeds, when fear and chaos reign, what will become of humanity and the world as we know it? How far will you go to survive and reunite with your loved ones? Excellent book! I completely loved it!
David Taylor
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This first book of T. L. Payne’s Days of Want series is a very good lead-in to the series. If the action and intrigue stay at this level this series is a must read for Dystopian/post-apocalyptical thriller fans. The character development, inclusion of very plausible sceneries, and the addition of what many might consider common conspiracy theories regarding FEMA are what make this story worth the time to read.
Rhonda Terrell
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story line and thought proving situations and characters. Once I started reading, I didn’t want to stop. Only gave 4 stars because every now and then I had to read back to try and determine who was speaking or who’s perspective the paragraph was from. Otherwise I loved the entire series and waiting for the one to be released.
Jessie Mckissick
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down!

The storyline is intriguing. The first thing Maggie faced were airplanes falling from the sky since they could only fly till they ran out of fuel. Zach is on a school trip and the bus just stops while they were at McDonalds. I loved all the twists in the plot and now going on to Book Two. A great book and a great author.
Jennifer Jensen
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Better books out there

I enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction, but this one didn’t live up to its hype, especially being labeled as YA. Choppy writing and way too much foul language even from the youngish main character. She was college age but seemed like a high schooler. Won’t go on with the series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lights Out (Surviving the EMP #1)
  • Survive the Chaos (Small Town EMP #1)
  • All That Survives (Lone Survivor #2)
  • All That Escapes (Lone Survivor #3)
  • All That Remains (Lone Survivor #1)
  • Survive the Aftermath (Small Town EMP #2)
  • After the Fall (Surviving the EMP #2)
  • Survive the Conflict (Small Town EMP #3)
  • Bear the Brunt (Nuclear Survival Saga #7; Nuclear Survival: Western Strength #1)
  • Shelter In Place (Nuclear Survival Saga #8; Nuclear Survival: Western Strength #2)
  • Escape the Virus (Last Pandemic #1)
  • The Last Fight (Surviving the EMP #3)
  • Minus America (Minus America #1)
  • Ride it Out (Nuclear Survival Saga #6; Nuclear Survival: Northern Exposure #3)
  • Instant Darkness: A Post Apocalyptic Survival Thriller (EMP Crisis Series Book 1)
  • Surviving the Blackout (Surviving the EMP #4)
  • The Last Cabin
  • Last Light (The Last Light #1)

Days of Want (5 books)
  • Hunted (Days of Want #2)
  • Turmoil (Days of Want #3)
  • Uprising (Days of Want #4)
  • Upheaval (Days of Want #5)