Start by marking “Darkwood (The Darkwood Series)” as Want to Read:
Darkwood (The Darkwood Series)

Darkwood

(The Darkwood Series #1)

Magic is forbidden in Myrsina, along with various other abominations, such as girls doing maths. This is bad news for Gretel Mudd, who doesn’t perform magic, but does know a lot of maths. When the sinister masked Huntsmen accuse Gretel of witchcraft, she is forced to flee into the neighbouring Darkwood, where witches and monsters dwell.

There, she happens upon B
Published June 13th 2019 by Farrago

To ask other readers questions about Darkwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkwood

Schizanthus
This book was so much fun! I can’t wait for the sequel!
Do not go into the Darkwood, children. It’s a cursed place, and so big and so dangerous that once you go in you’ll never come out again. You’ll become just another lost creature, aimlessly wandering amongst those black and twisted trees forever. Even the dead aren’t safe in the Darkwood. Nobody is safe.
Gretel lives in Nearby Village with her twin, Hansel, and their stepparents. Unfortunately for Gretel, she’s female so she must be very c
Stephanie
I picked up Darkwood when I heard that it was a funny, twisted fairytale adventure written by one of the writers of the Horrible Histories TV show (which I love) - and it did turn out to be very funny (I laughed out loud so many times!) but also sweet and full of heart, with fabulously lovable characters as well as some very creepy ones, and a sharp (and topical) look at the ways in which scary authoritarian movements can take hold in society.

Mostly, though, I just loved all the char
Erika
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thanks to Netgalley for the chance to read early for an honest review.

This book is hilarious! The Afterward mentioned the author was inspired by Shrek and the Discworld novels and I can really see that.

When I saw the cover, I immediately thought of the Black Knight from Monty Python and I think that was intentional - this story is very satirical.

It's everything you love about fairy tales, but is very aware of itself. I loved these versions of Hansel & Gretel, Jack, S
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Darkwood by Gabby Hutchinson Crouch may be perfect for you if you're looking for a funny MG fantasy adventure story. It took me a minute to get into the writing style (it's in present tense), but once you do you'll be hooked. I loved all of the fairy tale elements that the author managed to tie together so seamlessly from Hansel and Gretel, Snow, Jack and everyone. Even better is the sense of humor - it's very self aware, by the way, whic/>
Soup
This is an excellent and humorous riff on common fairy tale lore. Gretel and her brother Hansel live with their stepmother and stepfather (yes, both are "step," no-one knows why) at the edge of cursed forest (it's dangerous, but the housing prices cannot be beat!) and within the confines of a kingdom under the sway of the Huntsmen who outlaw nearly everything they find personally offensive like witches, magic, and girls knowing math. Gretel can't quite contain her cleverness however and she soon ...more
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
**this was sent to me by the publishers through netgalley, all thoughts are my own**

omfg guys this was amazing.

this is a middle grade fairytale retelling of hansel & gretal, snow white, and others as witches who have been banished by the power-hungry huntsmen and it was everything I could ever ask for.

this gives me ALL the monty python and shrek vibes and it SO DAMN GOOD.

the humor, the characters, the story, the MESSAGE of corruption and perceptions of truth was breathtaking.
Anjana
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a retelling of many fairy tales rolled into one quirky story. It is along the lines of the drama 'Once upon a time' in terms of its content. There is a flippancy in the conversation and the humour lies in the delivery and the situation that we are witnessing.
Hansel and Gretel live with their step-parents in a little village where they get orders from power at the citadel on how to conduct their daily lives and how things are supposed to work. When Gretel is suspected of being a wi
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley.

"We make out that witches aren’t real people, but we pretend that we aren’t people, either. Because, if we can convince others and ourselves that we’re not really people, then we can let ourselves get away with committing some really inhuman acts."

This was hilarious and also surprisingly deep towards the end. It starts out as a satire of many common fairy tales [Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc] as well as a c/>"We
Bojana
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I must wonder why people (better say adults) are skeptical about middle grade books. I read a lot of middle grade books and enjoyed them. If book is written properly there should not be this sort of classification. Also, since this story is some kind of satire (it explores themes of authoritarianism and intolerance), I'm not even sure that it should be placed into the group of middle grade books.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. As I am a huge fan of fairy tales and at the same time very skeptical about
Stephanie
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
A dark, sarcastic, and freaking hilarious retelling of Hansel and Gretel, with a few other fairy tales thrown in.
Gretel bites off a whole lot more than she can chew when she escapes into the Darkwood and accidentally joins a gang of witches. But she can handle it, she can do maths.
It reminds me a bit of Discworld and it was nice to see that the author did get inspiration from that among other sarcastic magical stories.
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kristin Boes
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gretel Mudd is cast out of her village by the sinister Huntsmen, who label her an abomination for enjoying math and engineering. She seeks sanctuary in the mysterious Darkwood, and falls in with an adorably motley crew of misfits, including a talking spider, a witch who is the Midas of baked goods, and a White Night whose backstory was a fun surprise I won't spoil.

This book was an absolute delight from start to finish. It's a fairy tale satire, yes, but pokes fun at the genre without being mean
Jay Harley
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superbly funny, brilliant storytelling

Absolutely loved this book, some gorgeous warm characters and a gripping story - I can't wait for part two. Has a touch of Terry Pratchett to the humour - and I absolutely adored the chapter titles. Massive five stars.
Lisa
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a romp of a read this was! Fabulously funny fairy tale mash up with lots of familiar names appearing, and some brilliant original characters - may have to start a fan club for Trevor the talking spider ❤
Witty, wise, and wonderfully weird. Will look forward to the next adventure into the Darkwood, as long as it's not on a Monday....
Claire O-P
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s been a real trend for grimdark in fantasy fiction over the last few years, and it has produced some amazing work, but with the final Discworld novel published in 2015, it does leave one wondering where the lighter side of fantasy fiction is going to head next. Of course, to live up to Pratchett’s name is a tall order indeed, but I feel that any author who looks to bring some humour to the genre should be encouraged – because, as with any genre, there’s a lot of fun in lovingly pointing o ...more
Steph Warren
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free ARC of this book, with thanks to the author, NetGalley and Farrago. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

I absolutely love this book. It is perfection!

Darkwood is suitable for anyone from middle-grade to adult, as there is plenty of peril and adventure, but the strongest word (used in the direst situations) is ‘trousers’!

The plot takes classic fairytale characters such as Hansel and Gretel, or Jack of beanstalk fame, and tumble
Jess
Check out this review and more on my blog!

I received an eARC of Darkwood from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

One of my favourite tropes in fantasy is the banned/outlawed magic trope, so as soon as I came across this Middle Grade novel on NetGalley, which not only includes that trope but also follows a girl with an interest in STEM, I knew I wanted to give it a try.

Darkwood is the first book in a new fantasy MG series following Gretel Mudd, who ends up chased away from her home of Nea/>
Romy
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"Do not go into the Darkwood, children. It's a cursed place, and so big and so dangerous that once you go in you'll never come out again. You'll become just another lost creature, aimlessly wandering amongst those black and twisted trees forever. Even the dead aren't safe in the Darkwood. Nobody is safe."

I adored this book and without a doubt, I can say this book is one of the favorite books I've read in 2019. This book was/>"Do
Rini Budihartati
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I got the eARC from the publisher through Netgalley. All of the comments are mine and what I feel about the book.
Darkwood is a retelling book of various fairy tales like Hansel & Gretel, Snow White, Jack and the beanstalk, etc. It is a story of Hansel and Gretel who lives in Nearby village of Myrsina. Magic and science are forbidden in that place especially for girls. Everyone who has magic or good at science are banished or recruited to join the huntsmen. Gretel is suspected to
Elysian Fields
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
What caught my eye about this story was the fact that it had the feel of olden fairy tales (like Grimm’s) yet was modern and fresh. I loved the idea of a magical “forest” filled with darkness, beasts and witches. Gretel and her adventures called to me. I very much enjoyed this YA story and would love to read more in this world. A mixture of classic fairy tales mix together seamlessly, and they create a magical world for any reader to get lost in.

No one is safe in Deadwood, not even the dead, bu
Amanda B
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-reads
I received this eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The only reason I requested this book was because Heathur @ Aphrodite Reads raved about it. I sadly, do not share that opinion. When adding this to my ‘currently reading’ shelf on GoodReads, I was very surprised to see that it’s a middle grade fantasy. I’d only gotten about 10% into it before adding it on GoodReads, but it didn’t seem like a middle grade story to me.
My first issue with this being middle grade is the language.
Aly
I don't read middle grade books very often, but this one was actually quite a fun read. I did have some issues which I'll get into in a bit. I'm mostly rating this more as overall enjoyment and not so much the actual plot, as it's a bit weird to describe.

Darkwood is a place that no mortal should enter due to monsters and witches. Living in her village with her brother Hansel and stepparents, they learn literacy and defend the village folk from any monsters that emerge from the Darkwo
Annie
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Darkwood is the first book in a presumptive series by Gabby Hutchinson Crouch. Due out 13th June 2019 from Prelude on their Farrago! imprint, it's 320 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

This is a very funny book and well written into the bargain. Ostensibly aimed at middle grade readers, it nevertheless has an awful lot to offer adults also. Written as a sort of 'fractured fairy tales' mash-up of Snow White and the huntsmen, there are cameos from an amazing arrayReader.
Annette Jordan
A Terry Pratchett inspired middle grade fairy tale adventure featuring favourites like Jack ( of the Beanstalk fame) , Snow White, and our main protagonists Hansel and Gretel, this book was a sheer satirical delight from the very first page.
Hansel and Gretel live in the village of Nearby in the kingdom of Myrsina, a land where magic is forbidden along with abominations such as women who do sums, and where the Huntsmen scour the country looking for witches. Right beside the village is the Darkwo
Heather
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Magic is forbidden in the land of Myrsina, along with other abominations such as girls doing math and science. This doesn't bode well for Gretel Mudd, who isn't technically a witch, but does do a lot of math. When her inventions catch the attention of the sinister Huntsmen who want to try her for witchcraft, she has no choice but to flee her town into the Darkwood, the terrifying forest where all sorts of evil and be
Staci Campbell
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
The Darkwood by Gabby Hutchinson Crouch
4/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Synopsis:

Magic is forbidden in Myrsina, along with various other abominations, such as girls doing maths. This is bad news for Gretel Mudd, who doesn't perform magic, but does know a lot of maths. When the sinister masked Huntsmen accuse Gretel of witchcraft, she is forced to flee into the neighbouring Darkwood, where witches and monsters dwell. There, she happens upon Buttercup, a witch who can't help turning things into gingerbread,
Mikaela
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
A copy has been provided to me by Farrago through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I started this one evening over my cup of tea, and then stayed up until well past my bedtime to finish it, and now to write this review. I’d also like to point out that I’m totally counting this for my adaptation quest for the Magical Read-a-Thon OWLS - since this was definitely an adaptation (view spoiler) ...more
Micha Sevier
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen year old Gretel Mudd is very clever in a place where this trait in girls leads to suspicions of witchcraft. As a result, Gretel is banished to the terrifying Darkwood where she meets an assortment of witches and fairy-tale creatures. Alongside her new companions, she must save her family and home from the dangerous Huntsmen.

Darkwood is a wonderfully humorous tale, suitable for middle grade to adult. The narrative tone is an incredibly witty and readable way of dealing with some deeper
Alexa
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, as always, a big thank you to Netgalley and Farrago for allowing me to be the first to read this delightful book before it hits the shelves in mid June of this year.

The first in the Darkwood series, the story follows Hansel and Gretel in a village where witchcraft and maths are forbidden and a misunderstanding forces Gretel to flee into the feared Darkwood. There she meets a gang of colorful characters and together, they’ll save her village from those who foster fear and r
Lauren Woodward
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You mustn’t go into the Darkwood, Children...

As a keen follower of Gabby Hutchinson Crouch on Twitter, and a fan of all things witchy, when I saw Darkwood available to read I jumped at the chance. Set in the fictional land of Myrsina, this novel takes what you think you know of fairy tales and turns it on its head.

A very humorous retelling of Grimm stories, interwoven to build up a magical community, there are many laughs to be had along the journey of Gretel - accused of
Ioanna
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You mustn't go into the Darkwood. Dangerous creatures lurk there. And whoever walks in, never comes back. You're in danger.

But are you, really?

In the land of Myrsina, magic is forbidden. Witches are hunted by the huntsmen. And by witches, we mean women who are clever or can do... math. When Gretel is uncovered as a woman clever enough to keep ogres away from her village, a huntsman will come for her. She has to go into Darkwood to save her life. But will she ever come bac
« previous 1 3 next »

The Darkwood Series (2 books)
  • Such Big Teeth
“Wait, hang on,' says Trevor. 'How do you know they're on their way to the village? You're not even a witch.' He ponders this for a moment. 'It's not going to turn out that you are secretly a witch after turning out to secretly not being a witch after the Huntsmen thought it turned out you were secretly a with, is it?'
'No.'
'Oh. That's a shame. That would have been quite the plot twist.”
0 likes
“That'll all be down to Snow's princessly training, Gretel supposes. Is one generally taught to handle a blade with utmost stealth and precision at princess school?” 0 likes