Start by marking “Laura's Big Break (London Books, #2)” as Want to Read:
Laura's Big Break (London Books, #2)

Laura's Big Break

(London Girls #2)

*Winner of the 2013 RWA Gulf Coast, Silken Sands Star Award for contemporary romance*

Laura needs to interview the hero of the moment to keep her new job with a women's magazine. She'd rather stick a fork in her eye. Twelve years have passed since her disastrous one night stand with Charlie and they've barely exchanged two civil words in that time. She calls him the Neander
Published (first published October 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Laura's Big Break, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laura's Big Break

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Laura's Big Break is a steamy, quirky, funny, friends to lovers story. Okay, "friends" might be stretching it a bit. Laura and Charlie can hardly stand to be in the same room (or tent, or country) together.

I enjoyed this story and read it in a day. The author has such a great way with dialog and creating characters we can relate to. It's a bit on the shorter side and some of the relationship building suffered for the lesser page count, but all in all, a very entertaining read!

3.5/5 stars

Many t
Lisa Kay
★★★★☆ My first time reading this author and I really, really enjoyed it. (Extra "really" for Dhes and Pamela.) There may have been a few bumps, but some parts were perfect, too. I'll definitely pick one of hers up again.

I'll just post some pics from our "buddy read."

Charlie's tent? Sorry, I couldn't find one that was all black.

This is a good picture to show how the bikes are loaded/packed.

biking in Holland, canal

You can see how flat Holland is; that's why Laura chose it! LOL!

Photo by Ton le Jeu
Pamela(AllHoney)
Laura Prentice is told by her boss to get an interview with hero, Charlie Lewis, or forget about having a job. But Laura's relationship with Charlie isn't ideal for said interview. Charlie is Laura's best friend Maddie's brother. And twelve years ago Laura managed to seduce Charlie but things didn't end well. Now Charlie is a doctor and was caught on camera saving a little girl's life in Afghanistan. But Laura's boss is serious and Laura will do what is needed to keep her job. So she ends up fin ...more
Kari Kaz
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, humor
This is a fun, quirky romance between Laura aka The Iron Maiden and Charlie aka Neanderthal . Charlie and Laura were neighbors and she was also his sister's best friend. After a disastrous quickie, where Laura loses her virginity, they go their separate ways.
12 years later, Charlie has left the army and is considered a hero. Laura's new boss asks (commands) her to write up an interview with the hottie hero and Laura meets up with Charlie. Charlie agrees to help her out, but she must go with h
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★★Laura's Big Break by Janet Elizabeth Henderson

I was given this R2R in exchange for my honest opinion.

So after reading The Davina Code and Lingerie Wars, I wanted more from this author. So when I got a hold of Laura's Big Break I was thrilled. And I was not disappointed.

Laura is an aspiring journalist, stuck writing for a teen magazine. When she get's her big break, a position at a woman's magazine. The only problem, she must get an interview with the moron, neanderthal, screw up, Mr. Scar
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Really enjoyed this book!
Laura was one balsy mad ass frank chick! Loved her, so very refreshing and nice her character was.
Liked Charlie's character too! Total hunk! Brave, hot, caring and an idiot!

The story was amazing, nicely written, the book was witty and had amazingly funny lines~
The book made me tingle throughout! :D I giggled, smiled and blushed.
Cute, small read.

Any minute now there would be violence - that was something she’d learnt from his sister. Hit first, ask questions later. LMFAO!
Kathy Davie
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A cute and reluctant romance.

My Take
This was great! A sweet read of two people discovering all that they didn't know about each other. I envy their trip around Holland, even if I don't lust for the bike/camping trip.
I loved this one, LOL: "Under the heading of 'other abilities' she could write 'scarier than armed conflict'."
Her boss does have a point about her being in the more adult leagues; I just can't agree with her moral decisions. It's one of those things I dislike about journalists. Yes,
Paige  Bookdragon
"I'm here because I love you."

The crowd gasped. Charlie felt sick.

"I am in love with you, Charlie Lewis." she said. Charlie felt light headed and bent over to restore the flow of blood.

"Great," Laura said." Someone get the idiot a glass of water. I think he's going to vomit.

You know what I'm thinking while I'm reading this book?

This:
description

When I searched "romantic comedy" in Tumblr, this is what I found and I think it's safe to say that this gif and this book is perfect for each other.

A biking trip
Stacy
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an easy read - perfect in-between book for when you've been reading a lot of serious novels! It's like MIND CANDY.
Laura Prentice just got her first big girl job with a women's magazine, and her first assignment is to interview philanthropist hottie doctor Charlie Lewis. Problem is, she and Charlie go waaaay back....and it wasn't exactly happy memories for either of them. Can she suck it up to get the interview and save her job, or will Dr Hottie refuse to play nice? I think we all
Izzie d
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-comedy
It was funny.
The Hero and heroine are enemies.
Not too keen on the Hero and his attitude to relationships, she feels any woman that is available is okay with him.
No intimate scenes with anyone other than the Hero and heroine.
HEA.
Mel
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

"He was the source of her adventures and the strength that kept her safe"

Laura must interview Charlie, the hot YouTube hero sensation in order to keep her job. It isn't an easy task considering she thinks sleeping with Charlie was the biggest mistake of her life. Charlie wants no part of this interview but Laura agrees to do whatever it takes to get the story. Charlie decides it might be helpful along with entertaining to have her with him for the next 2 weeks. Now having to deal with e
Suzanne Williams
I LOVED this story. The blunt, crass humor captured me from the first page and kept me laughing. Charlie and Laura's love/hate relationship was priceless and precious at the same time. But more than that was how much they needed each other. That is what made this a love story I will not forget. The heartbreaking story of Charlies time in the service was a touching bonus. A super, fun read that brightened my day. Story does have sexual innuendo and situations.
Gisela
The humor didn't work for me it felt contrived and over-the-top. Both main characters do things that left me scratching my head wondering Do sane people really do that?! If one of my brothers was in a relationship with someone resembling the main characters I'd probably tell him to run! If you enjoy slapstick humor in your romances or are in the mood for a silly romance, give this one a try otherwise skip it, there are better books out there.
Luisa Rivas
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a riot! So funny and entertaining. Laura and Charlie leave on a cycling trip to Holland where Laura hopes to get an interview from Charlie about his Afghanistan war experience. So many funny things happen that you laugh out loud and can't help but love Laura's feistiness. Hugely entertaining!
Elisabeth
Nov 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I did did regret even the small amount of money I paid for it on amazon. The characters felt very stupid and the author over-explained every insignificant thought and doubt and immature worries of the characters.
Maggie Le Page
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was laugh out loud funny, and kept me turning the pages right to the last, desperate for Laura to have her happy ending. I can't wait to read more from this author. :)
Lara
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2013
This book was very, very funny and a quick read. Laura is a frank and straightforward young woman who can really bear a grudge. Her hijinks and stubbornness lead to some very funny situations. The sex takes place "off scree" as it were, so it is all about the interaction between the two leads.
ShoSho
This was a funny and easy read .I will read more from this author.
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
this was a wonderful read i couldnt put it down.
Nefise
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
It was nice, light and quick read, enjoyable book.
K3in
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had high expectations getting into the book but it quickly became apparent that they were not going to be met. The blurb promises a hilarious ride but, in my opinion, it wasn't funny at all. Most of the situational comedy was clichéd and too over the top.
Coming to the romance part, I couldn't connect with the characters or feel the chemistry between them.
Over all it was an average read that served to while away time
Jennifer Johnson
An addictive read

Once I started I couldn't stop reading. This story just keeps you hooked wanting to find out what's going to happen next. I loved it and anyone who loves a good romance should definitely read this book as well as all of Janet Elizabeth Henderson's books.
Eva
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the funniest books I have ever read. It was almost impossible not to laugh loudly during the reading. Especially sports muffles will come at their expense :).
Jane Stewart
This was okay but not entertaining. It was forgettable.

There was a happy ending and it qualifies as a romance.

Right after this book I read “Exclusively Yours” by Shannon Stacey. As a coincidence it was the same plot, but EY was more fun and more enjoyable. The difference was how the guy felt and treated the girl. So here’s the comparison.

In LBB Laura liked her neighbor Charlie. In her late teens, Laura went to Charlie and asked to have sex. They did. Afterwards he left without saying a word. She
Kate
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, ugh
I couldn't even get pass the first sentence.

Laura Prentice gave away her cherry to her best friend’s brother in the shed they called a summer house, at the bottom of his parent’s garden. In fact, she gave away the whole sundae. He licked it up without so much as a thank you. Sure, he’d whispered sweet nothings as he’d peeled her pants down her legs and he’d gushed over her beauty as he reached for a condom, but as soon as the deed was done, he was gone. He ran faster than a fake hare on a rail
Bobbye Hudspeth
Nice chick lit book. The romance was predictable, but the story was well-written and executed. Nicely done.

As a side note, there were a few errors that spell check wouldn't catch. I had to read the sentence "Charlie helped himself to a pink frilly piny and tied it round his waist" several times before I realized the author likely meant pinny, as in "pinafore." Maybe "apron" would have been a better choice of words, to avoid confusing silly readers such as myself. :)

It was a fun read and I enjo
MommaNeena
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not captured by this books title, it sounded way too simplistic for me...I need titles that lure me into the story. This didn't sound like a romantic story. But, it was, and after reading the first few pages I was hooked. It was well written and funny, the characters were very likable, the settings and situations were well described...the hero was very muscly and good looking, the countryside was well described...their relationship was interesting too. Some things were definitely unbelieva ...more
Stephen Walton
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be easy to sit back and say this was mindless trivia but you would have missed the point of Janet's writing. She tells a good, uncomplicated story with, always, a quaint and quirky plot. It's absolutely full of fun, romance , angst and remedy. Her writing is fluid and being a novella not full of padding. I've read all this authors books now and recommended her to half a dozen "book buddies" for light reading and great entertainment. Most enjoyable and well worth it's 4* rating.
LaVerne Clark
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book cemented to me why Janet Elizabeth Henderson is one of my most favourite authors. Her characters are slightly off the wall, but so easy to relate to - and they are FUN! I loved watching the growth of these characters, and laughed along as they bumbled their way towards their happy ending.
Hilarious, feel-good and sexy romance. I'm off to find my next JEH book :)
Helen Manning
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She has done it to me again. I finished this in a day. Couldn't stop reading. Wonderfully flawed leads; Laura and Charlie, with enough backstory to choke a horse. Great writing. Full of the witty, LOL funny dialogue I have come to expect from this author. At the core of the story is a warm beating heart. Great read.

• Your Gift to Me
  • Love Today
  • Bonded by Need (Shifting Bonds, #2)
  • Minding Amy
  • The Hollow Heart (The Heartfelt Series, #1)
  • Caught on Camera
  • Tony's Haven (Sherman Family #2)
  • Yvonne Goes to York (The Traveling Matchmaker, #6)
  • Crazy Love (Looking for Love, #2)
  • Can't Live Without
  • Santa Wore Combat Boots
  • Hate Me
  • Grace Unexpected
  • Jingle This!
  • The Best Man
  • Accidents Make the Heart Grow Fonder
  • Hearts Afire
  • The Last Warrior (Lost Colony #1)

I grew up in Scotland, but after I met my Dutch husband in America we decided to move to New Zealand and that's where we've settled. We bought a patch of land that we've filled with other people's unwanted animals - we didn't advertise for them, they found us! So far we have three miniature horses (we took in two and were surprised 11 months later when a third appeared - yep, we know nothing about

London Girls (2 books)
  • Mad Love (London Books, #1)