Start by marking “Manifesto for a Moral Revolution: Practices to Build a Better World” as Want to Read:
Manifesto for a Moral Revolution: Practices to Build a Better World

Manifesto for a Moral Revolution: Practices to Build a Better World

Jacqueline Novogratz, author of the New York Times bestseller The Blue Sweater and founder and CEO of Acumen, shares an original short-list of essential leadership tools for the 21st century.

In 2001, when Jacqueline Novogratz founded Acumen, a global community of socially and environmentally responsible partners dedicated to changing the way the world tackles poverty, few
Published May 5th 2020 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Manifesto for a Moral Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manifesto for a Moral Revolution

Start your review of Manifesto for a Moral Revolution: Practices to Build a Better World
Katie Erickson
Jun 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
I started listening to this audiobook because of a review that said that it gave concrete ways to rebuild the world to promote social and environmental justice. I was very misled about how radical this book was. I kept up listening because I hoped it would get better and more radical as it went on, but it didn’t and I just had to stop about halfway. Jacqueline grossly tried to equate identities like “book lover” to “black trans women” in terms of their ability to make one feel like an outsider o ...more
william charnock
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am lucky enough to receive an advance copy of this book and in the spirit of full disclosure, work with Jacqueline. Despite my obvious bias to the topic, and the author, I want to share why this book was so meaningful to me, in this moment.

All around us we see the gap between government and market provision get wider and wider. Politics on one side and maximized corporate profits on the other, making this gap bigger and bigger. And as they move wider apart, so more and more people fall into t
John Stepper
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book. After reading and loving The Blue Sweater years ago, I wanted to learn about what she learned since then. (I'm grateful to Seth Godin fro recommending it in his blog.)

I had assumed from the title that it might be a more abstract presentation of principles, but it is much, much more than that. Rather than just telling what should be done, she shows what can be accomplished and how through many examples of change agents around the world.

Reading it you can't help but be inspi
Margo
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this unsettled and anxious time, we have endless questions about the shape of our future. I am especially interested in two aspects of the economic future. One, how will millions of people find productive work in the changing world. Two, how do we improve lives of the poor now that we see even more clearly their struggle within the narrow confines of our modern world.

As if on cue, Jacqueline Novogratz’s new book Manifesto for a Moral Revolution provides some of the answers and it is a perfect
Emily Close
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
12 principles every leader, friend, person should consider when moving through life. Practices often deemed as “soft skills,” but are becoming essential as we find ways to build more inclusive, sustainable systems that serve us all. This book offers wisdom about how each of us can start in small ways, telling incredible stories of people across the world who did just that!

This book is not self-help, blind optimism or idealism. The author offers lived examples, with an understanding of the danger
Jeanie Honey
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book spoke to me so powerfully about how each and every one of us can be part of the rebuilding of our world in a way that will serve the needs of all and care for our planet. It is packed with personal, compelling true stories which inspire and illuminate, showing how to grow a business for human flourishing rather than one which exploits. I was particularly touched by the call to tell stories that matter as the stories we tell shape who we become. Jacqueline Novogratz's narrative from twe ...more
Michael Austin
Never before have I finished a book and immediately wanted to start it again, quite as much as now.

I want it to remain pristine, but also want to highlight and scribble throughout. This is a book for life, and so I will scribble as I wish, and simply buy friends copies rather than lend it.

Get it now, read it now, hold it dear.
Jill Iscol
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this practical, inspiring, and perhaps even spiritual book, Manifesto for a Moral Revolution: Practices to Build a Better World, Jacqueline Novogratz provides a guide of how to “see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be.” Through beautiful, exquisitely readable stories of honesty, partnership, success, and also failure, this book is infused with moral imagination: “start by listening to the poor with the understanding that we can solve our problems if we beg ...more
Gwen
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I heard Jacqueline on an episode of On Being where she talked to Krista Tippett about moral imagination and the need for a big shift in how we use markets to better serve the most vulnerable in the world. The idea they discussed that really struck me, and prompted me to read this book, was that we know our current system of capitalism doesn’t work. And yet we are living in a moment where we don’t know what comes next. We are actively searching and iterating a new way of circulating and providing ...more
meghan
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You might be surprised to find that Novogratz's revolution isn't about what is 'right' overthrowing what is 'wrong.' Instead, it's about choosing and fighting for - in ways that are both beautiful and difficult - our collective well-being, a replacement for today's model, where only a fraction of us wins, at the incredible expense of the rest.

In one of many artful pleas for nuance, Novogratz writes: "A modern moral revolution demands that all of us hold contradictions...For each of us, the first
Randy Kaufman
This is an exceptional book, written by an exceptional woman, Jacqueline Novogratz. It could not be more timely--her manifesto is a call to action, and a reminder that hope resides in the darkest of times and in the darkest of places, and yet, reasons for hope exist all around us.
Barb Cherem
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a fresh book in that it married such high minded change in developing societies with the idea of justice and compassion, as opposed to mercy and philanthropy.
Unlike many who have the smarts, interest and hard work in making money in banking of various sorts, Jacqueline Novogratz's story is different from her Stanford grad. beginnings with the typical money-making bank. She has wider purposes and motives than sheer greed and personal comfort, though doesn't dismiss any of these mot
Polina
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book I wanted to write while quarantining but found out its already here ;) Its not only a book for changemakers of all sorts but for all people who want to live fulfilling happy lifes and dont want to go to therapy ;) This book is a story of everyone who knows that values driven life is a life worth living.

I felt like Jacqueline has been inside my brain and now is putting everything out of it on paper in a beautiful way. I was like yess oh yess, of course! yes! so true! omg i know that fee
Hope Cutchins
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so appreciate Jacqueline Novogratz's voice, both in the economic development space and more generally in thinking about moral leadership and building systems that reflect what we truly value. I am grateful for how much of herself she shared in this book and admire her openness in sharing both successes and failures that led to growth in her life and career. I really identify with her idea of hard-edged hope: without ignoring present reality we have to be able to see and hold onto possibility.

I
Charlotte
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s easy to see what needs changing (extreme inequality, climate change, etc), and all too common to feel stuck when it comes to actually making that change happen. I love this book because it puts forward a productive, solutions-oriented response for how we can make the world a better place from someone who knows how its done.

Jacqueline Novogratz has witnessed and accompanied the most successful leaders and companies who have seen what needs changing and successfully built solutions. Their st
Emily Shearer
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Novogratz is an inspiration! She is accomplished without being boastful, modest and humble with a wealth of experience, and a guiding light for the next generation of do-gooders who are out to save the world. I would recommend this to anyone whose job is in philanthropy or serving the underserved, or who just wants to know how they can make their mark in an economy where it seems good people with best intentions get overlooked. Reading this book teaches you that that just isn't true. It IS possi ...more
Mandy
Feb 03, 2021 rated it liked it
I’ve known about and admired the author since I read her book The Blue Sweater over 10 years ago. While this book didn’t have any revolutionary ideas in it, I enjoyed hearing about Jacqueline’s and various other people’s experiences trying to run ethical businesses. I think the values this book promotes are so needed in today’s world: honesty, kindness, caring for others, and putting people before profits.
Joe Kurtek
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most inspiring and best books I have read this year. The Acumen Fund has really changed the fight against global poverty for the better and Jacqueline Novogratz truly is an inspiration to me. This was a great book.
Nicole DePace
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
If this were really how capitalism and market driven solutions worked, I could support it. This book provides grace, humanity and the necessary conversation about morality being a guiding principle of economic development. I would have liked to see more introspection, analysis and critique of colonization and imperialism as she defended capitalism.

Ietrio
Jun 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
People are too stupid to rule their own lives, somehow we need prophets coming out of nowhere, like Novogratz to tell the poor idiots how they should be ruled.
Amber Smith
Beautifully told stories that challenge assumptions about how to do good in a complicated world - and a reflective guide for how to shape your own path to doing good.
Paul Triller
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can I possibly grant this beautiful work 7 or 8 stars?

It delves so deep and offers so many great examples of how we CAN change this world-shared by us all.
Star
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is a good reminder of how each of us can fight against the hopelessness and apathy, guided by the ideas of a more equal world. It tells stories about real people that are supporting voices that are usually not heard and challenges us to do the same. It aims to be inspirational and at times seems like it’s doing quite a bit of sugarcoating, however it is definitely worth reading
Sonya
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As someone early in her career who hopes to help build a better world, I found this book incredibly insightful and empowering. If you're looking for a book to make you smile, this may not be the one for you. Rather, it's a book for those who are ready to acknowledge and be challenged to take on the work we must all do to build a world in which all beings are accounted for and valued. Each chapter provides a practice that can be readily incorporated into your daily work, regardless of which secto ...more
Ravish
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A ready reckoner for anyone who wishes to see a positive change possible in world, helping people realize the best within themselves. Accepting the harsh realities of present, holding opposite tensions and still having an audacity to imagine what the world could be. If you want to get those muscles to persevere, this book could be a great help. Real examples, real experiences of acumen fellows shared by the author makes all the heavy ideas palatable. It is all indeed possible and urgently needed ...more
Faheem Ahmed
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a testament, coming from accompanying moral leaders having the humility to understand the world and the audacity to change it. I happen to also do the course linked to this book, Path of Moral Leadership on Acumen Academy which will transform the way you will perceive and practice some of the hard-edged skills described in the book.

Would highly recommend both the book and the course if you plan to balance both understanding and practicing a path to reimagine this world :)
Carolien
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
I am so glad I used the opportunity to join the Acumen course - The Path of Moral Leadership - which accompanies the book. Jacqueline distills the lessons she learned while changing the world in 14 chapters. Each chapter contains interesting examples and practical ideas to implement. Most of the chapters challenged my perspective on the subject. I expect to come back to this book often as the ideas resonate.
Cory Jones
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite book. Novogratz has an insane amount of wisdom and experience, but every chapter has two or three stories that loosely tie to the chapter topic, and after a while it gets hard to bounce from story to story to story to story.
Christiane Hile
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Game changing read! So delighted to be able to borrow Novogratz's exquisite vocabulary on how to help evolve our mindsets and cultures towards broader & more meaningful inclusion and equality. ...more
Katarina Janoskova
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m afraid this will be far from eloquent.
But. I just loved this book. I love Jacqueline and what she does. I’m beyond impressed by her audacity to describe failures as well as successes and her clear eyed outlook of the world. We are all broken, no one a clear cut success with no mistakes behind them and we are all stronger for that.

The same humanity in us that sent us to the Moon is the same one that urges us to not to ruffle any feathers and keep the status quo. It’s good to be aware of all
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lunch with Lucy: Maximize Profits by Investing in Your People
  • Thin Air
  • The Little Brand Book
  • Things in Jars
  • Together: Why Social Connection Holds the Key to Better Health, Higher Performance, and Greater Happiness
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
  • Long Walk to Freedom
  • Uncharted: How to Map the Future
  • Otro fin del mundo es posible
  • Leading Without Authority: How Every One of Us Can Build Trust, Create Candor, Energize Our Teams, and Make a Difference
  • Reimagining Capitalism in a World on Fire
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • Hard Rain
  • Life

News & Interviews

“Rather than being rewarded for what we give, we’re too often affirmed by what we take.” 2 likes
“This is the secret of accompaniment. I will hold a mirror to you and show you your value, bear witness to your suffering, and to your light. And over time, you will do the same for me, for within the relationship lies the promise of our shared dignity and the mutual encouragement needed to do the hard things.
Whatever you aim to do, whatever problem you hope to address, remember to accompany those who are struggling, those who are left out, who lack the capabilities needed to solve their own problems. We are each other’s destiny. Beneath the hard skills and firm strategic priorities needed to resolve our greatest challenges lies the soft, fertile ground of our shared humanity. In that place of hard and soft is sustenance enough to nourish the entire human family.”
2 likes