Start by marking “Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law” as Want to Read:
Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law

Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law

In her own words, Ruth Bader Ginsburg offers an intimate look at her life and career, through an extraordinary series of conversations with the head of the National Constitution Center.

This remarkable book presents a unique portrait of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, drawing on more than twenty years of conversations with Jeffrey Rosen, starting in the 1990s and continuing
Published November 5th 2019 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Conversations with RBG, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conversations with RBG

Start your review of Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law
Barbara
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it

Ruth Bader Ginsberg

The book's author, Jeffrey Rosen, is an American scholar and law professor who's been called "the nation's most widely read and influential legal commentator."

Jeffrey Rosen

Rosen first met Ruth Bader Ginsberg in an elevator in 1991, when he was a law clerk and she was a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Not knowing what to say, Rosen blurted out a question about what opera Ginsburg had seen recently, and they immediately bonded over their mutual
Toni
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
An interesting introduction to work and life of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I liked the way the author chose to let the reader discover the opinions and hopes of this remarkable woman through her cases and her own words.

Thank you to Edelweiss and Henry Holt Co. for the review copy provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Moonkiszt
Ruth Bader Ginsberg IS a treasure to this country, and a personal hero of mine, and all the millions of other roles she plays in the lives of strangers she doesn't even know - that's a spectacular mantle to wear, and she does it with panache!

Conversations with RGB is a treat. Each is introduced with the background to place the conversation in context, and then the recorded session transcribed for readers now and forever to slide our benches close in, lean forward and listen, or eavesdrop maybe.
Donna Davis
This is the RBG book I’ve been waiting for. My huge thanks go to Net Galley and Henry Holt Publishers for the review copy. This book will be publicly available November 5, 2019.

Justice Ginsburg wants us to know that the sky is not falling. Though progressive thinkers see great cause for concern, primarily within the executive branch of the federal government, the U.S. Constitution hasn’t changed, and the Supreme Court, she insists, is made up entirely of strong legal minds that revere it.
Sarah-Hope
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
I'm going to open by saying I was disappointed by this book—but I'm hoping you'll keep reading this review and still consider it as a book you might enjoy.

The good news
• It's a delight to hear stories from Ruth Bader Ginsburg's life and career in her own words.
• The fact that this book is based on conversations makes the prose reader-friendly.
• The book offers a great introduction to the development of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's legal thinking over time.

The not so good news
• If you've followed Ruth
Rachel Noel
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Free copy for an honest review

Like many people, I only really started paying attention to politics in the past few years. I knew that Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG) was an important figure, but never really looked further into it. When she needed surgery and people were clamoring to offer their blood and organs, whatever she needed, I figured I should read up on her. Fortunately this book became available and I took the opportunity to educate myself. I'm very glad I did.

This is neither a full
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-rrdecember
The way the data is formatted makes the chapters very repetitive but I love hearing all about RBG and her cases. I enjoyed it a ton.
Jackie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ruth Bader Ginsberg has become a very popular figure in our culture in the past few years. This book by Jeffrey Rosen has information, background and, most importantly, interviews with RBG. Justice Ginsberg reveals herself as a brilliant, thoughtful, and amazing person. She shows herself to be worthy of all the attention.
Preeti
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a great introduction to Ruth Bader Ginsburg but it may not provide any new information for fans that have followed her career since the beginning. I only recently watched her documentaries on Netflix so I had some knowledge of RBG already and this book served as a great addition.

In the book we get a rundown of her landmark cases, her thoughts on marriage, the cases she would overturn as well as her thoughts on the #metoo movement and so much more. It reads like a biography with
Wendy
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy from Henry Holt and Co. through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jeffrey Rosen's interviews with Ruth Bader Ginsburg are captured in Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law and provide a sense of who Ginsburg is both inside and outside of the court. Considering that Rosen and Ginsburg have known each other since 1991, their friendship and deep respect come through in the text. Organized by theme, the reader gets a sense of how
Jeimy
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because I love reading about RBG, I enjoyed reading this book. However, because I have read so many books about RBG, this one offered no new insights to the Supreme Court Justice's life and work. The reason why I gave the book 4 stars is because it is a bit repetitive--the introductions give away key moments of each interview so that by the time you read the interview it is almost as if you have read the same thing twice.
Tzipora
I adore Ruth Bader Ginsburg and wanted to love this book. In fact, I thought I wanted to buy it but am glad I ended up getting access to it through Net Galley because I would’ve been upset to have spent my money on this. I think it would’ve been a nice coffee table type book of RBG interviews and quotes. Or it could’ve been a nice introduction to her, her gender discrimination cases, experiences on the Supreme Court, and thoughts and views. Unfortunately, this book is a bit of a mess that needed ...more
Jessica
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
Jeffrey Rosen had a chance encounter with Ruth Bader Ginsburg when they were both working on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. That encounter turned into a genuine friendship and over the years Rosen and Ginsburg discussed all kinds of personal and professional issues. This book is a collection of their conversations divided into topics like "Her Landmark Cases" and "Marriage Between Equals." The book is unique in that these conversations are between friends and ...more
Cozy Cat Reviews
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you with gratitude to the publisher, the author and to Net Galley for this extraordinary opportunity to review this exemplary body of work. My review opinion is my own.
I highly recommend this book for your reading enjoyment of one of America's most brilliant legal minds.

I appreciate that the author has known RBG for several years and that this was a mutual agreed upon project by both of them. The author has complied a series of conversations with her that vary from Patriotism, to the
Mary
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, finished
This book is made up of interviews between Justice Ginsburg and Jeffrey Rosen. The conversations between the two cover her personal life, lifetime of work, hopes for the future of The Court, as well as her love of music.

Reading the back and forth between RBG and Rosen, one can sense the friendship and mutual respect the two have for each other. This book feels like you are sitting in a coffee catchup with two old friends.
Basic B's Guide
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Conversations with RBG @henryholtbooks #partner

Grab a cup of coffee and settle in for a little chat with one of the most remarkable women of our time.

This book is not merely for liberals or supporters of RBG and her dissents. This book is for EVERYONE. I thoroughly enjoyed this insight into her life and career. What an extraordinary woman filled with compassion, love, wit, respectfulness and a passion to strive for equality. RBG gives me great hope for the future and is an amazing inspiration.

“I
Nicole
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
DNF at 64% Too much repetition between the interviews and the author's notes about the interviews. The material and presentation was too dry.
BookDrunkard
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a little dry in my opinion. I wouldn't be running out to but it, even though I have a great fondness for RBG. It is well researched, but not my style.
Cassie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I was excited by the concept, and it was nice to have things in the Justice's own words, but it was quite repetitive--especially for such a short book.
Kathy
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Informative, well-written mix of background and conversation.
Cheyenne
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
#NonfictionNovember2019
Mary Gearing
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
As other reviewers have mentioned, there's not much new information in this book. It also gets very repetitive towards the end.
Karolyn
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very repetitive
Margot
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so worth reading! I appreciated hearing from this former ACLU lawyer particularly about the history of the women’s movement. I’ll be reading (listening to) this book many times.
Missy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Thank you dad!
Kortnee
Olivia Harrington
Nov 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience
  • The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off!: Thoughts on Life, Love, and Rebellion
  • Poisoner in Chief: Sidney Gottlieb and the CIA Search for Mind Control
  • Leadership in War: Essential Lessons from Those Who Made History
  • The Curious Heart of Ailsa Rae
  • Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse
  • Plastic Sucks!: How You Can Reduce Single-Use Plastic and Save Our Planet
  • Plastic: past, present, and future
“Jeffrey, you may kiss the bride. and Lauren, you may embrace each other for the first kiss of your marriage. The” 0 likes