Start by marking “The Fractured Empire (The World Apart Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Fractured Empire (The World Apart Series Book 1)

The Fractured Empire

(World Apart #1)

Clark and Adelaide think their lives can’t get any worse. Until they meet each other.

Adelaide — heiress to the wealthiest man in the Ceithren Empire — has felt a void since her sister’s death. Just as she’s resigned herself to the empty life her father chose for her, a relic from a world that shouldn’t exist plunges her into chaos.

Clark — son of the greatest terrorist th
Published April 2019 by Amazon Digital Services (first published October 19th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Fractured Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fractured Empire

Start your review of The Fractured Empire (The World Apart Series Book 1)
NAT.orious reads ☽
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
4.5 steampunky ★★★★✬
This book is for you if… you have wasted hours searching for young adult novels that feature mature characters that are eye-rolling for exactly the right reasons. Be prepared for some serious steampunk and a lovely enemies-to-lovers-romance.

Overall.

Yep. This is me, I'm also preggo because Gunther. Gunther. Gun-ther. I love him so much.

I just. Y'all. I love this book. I really do. I
Laura A. Grace
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun story! Had a tad bit of language then I usually care for, but the story was just simply awesome.

Addie and Clark are my new ship couple and totally need to find out what that ship name is! They complimented each other so well, but at the same time were like putting a cat and dog together sometimes! LOL! I definitely loved both of their characters for different reasons but was never disappointed with the POV changes each chapter. (Unless, you know, someone does something dumb
Lissa Hawley
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Ok I admit, the slow start had me putting this one down for far too long. But after a nudge from a friend I picked it back up and once I got to chapter 10 I didn't want to put it back down until I finished. (So I didn't!) I am about to start the next and to heck with sleep.

So here's my heads up, it starts slow, but it picks up and it is soooo worth it!
Demi Sharpe
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have no idea where to start. There were so many things that I loved about this book, and it was nothing like I was expecting. The characters were easy to relate to, and each had their own little moments where you loved them or hated them.
I think my favourite thing about this book was the fact that assumed it was in medieval times - with the ruling monarchs, princes and princess, swords, etc - but then you're surprised
Michelle
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start. This book was so good. Robin D. Mahle is a new author to me so I wasn't sure what to expect, but lordy, she blew me away.

The story takes place years after the "silent explosion" that took the lives of Addie's mother and sister. Left in a world with only her father to look after her, she becomes another tool for the empire to use. Until she becomes the unwitting wearer of a necklace originating from a place of myth that shouldn't exist.
The only people who could
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal writing and gripping storyline. I couldn’t help but love the characters more and more with every chapter! Looking forward to the next book, simply couldn’t get enough of Clark and Addie’s adventures!
Jackie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a story. Adelaide and Clark make quite a couple. They don’t always see eye to eye, but makes for an intriguing story. Enjoyable read.
Elle
Nov 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Received an ebook copy of this book for an honest review

DNF at 50%

Maybe this just wasn't my cup of tea because to be honest there wasn't a ton of wrong things in this book, I just wasn't as invested in it as I wanted to. I read tons of book where there were a lot of things I could rant about and this had a few but forgiveable ones. First of all, this book is really, really slow. I've read half of the book and it still feels like the first 3 chapters. The characters felt a bit distant to me. I
Blaire Hammond
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle Spoiler Free Review.

*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review.*

Wow. I am speechless. This story... this story was just incredible. What a fantastic beginning to an epic, exciting adventure. The writing was addictive and had me hooked from the get go. I hated having to put the book down, and every time I did I was thinking about it. It was so fantastic.

I gave this a 4.5 put of 5 stars. The ch
Deekay
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know what to expect before I started reading this book. But, I’m glad that I ended up enjoying it. It was a very intriguing story, full of surprises, betrayal, and secrets.

The story started off a bit slow, but it picks up right in the middle, and that’s where the fun started, and the ending was quite intense. There was a lot of great actions in the story, especially swords fighting. I really loved books that have swords fighting/battle in it. The actions was written very wel
Emma
A guy with an uncertain past, a girl with shattered dreams, and a conspiracy that goes far deeper than they (or you) can begin to comprehend. Can I get a 4.5 stars please? This is one of those series openers that, while not exactly my personal perfect read, is a darn solid piece of YA writing that should be shouted about.

First things first: read The Silent Explosion. This will be important, your memory will be tested upon knowledge imparted by this prequel. That's both a blessing (in that we g
Colleen Kidder
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun book to read! I couldn't put it down! I loved the chemistry between Addie and the fact that we got the story from both of their points of view.
Ken Lee
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about a teenage girl who inadvertently ends up in an adventure involving rebels, mysterious bad guys, intrigue and new friends made under duress. The story moves along at a nice pace and the interplay between the main characters is believable and entertaining. The book ends with a very nice lead in for book 2 and I am looking for to reading it as well.
Sandra Singleton
This is a must read by this author. I volunteered to read an advance copy for an honest review.
Jenn
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is intimidated by the heaviness of fantasy, this was such a wonderful story to introduce me to YA dieselpunk as a genre. Fast paced, action packed, love and secrets.. this book had it all.
I am so enamoured with these characters. Addie is a strong willed woman with whom I’m so excited to read more of. The brothers, Clark, Xavier and Gunther are a wonderful trio. Clark is cocky and desperate for answers on their father’s death. Xavier is frustrated and protective of his brothers. G
Tanya
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her sister is dead and she is grieving badly so she decides to take the only piece left of her to the place they were to go together. He knows his dad was innocent but to prove it he needs to question them but that would only happen if he can steal the amulet. Suddenly they are lush together and they must prevent killing each other while staying one step ahead of others who want them dead. What is going on? Will they do it? See if they can

I received a free copy of this book via Books
Linda
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book started out slow but I think that's because I haven't read the short story prequel. However when Addie and Clark come together, well what can I say, the movie in my head became Technicolor. I immediately disliked Adelaide's father. He's a very cold bastard. Without Nell and her private security Locke her life would be totally unlivable. I loved Gunther with his sweet personality and genus IQ. Of course you have level headed Xavier to try to keep Clark out of trouble, but that was befor ...more
Alyssa Danielson
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars - This book hovered between "I liked it" and "I loved it," so I'm rounding to 4 stars. I joined a Facebook group that provides ARCs in exchange for honest reviews. The author is releasing book 3 and wanted readers, but she offered to give us the beginning of the series to catch up with the story. I'm totally nerding out on the fact that authors are emailing me books!

Anyway, The Fractured Empire was a fast-paced, enjoyable read. There were elements of the world that I had definitely ex
Olivia Wolfertz
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed reading this book overall, I would give this book a solid 4 stars (a solid B). I really didn't get into this book as much as I hoped I would. I found the flashback scenes that started each chapter confusing at times and felt that the multi-character narration interrupted the overall flow of the story. I believe the author tried to make Adelaide and Clark more complicated characters, but I found them to be pretty predictable overall. As a result, I wasn't terribly invested in thei ...more
Erin Gossman
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I massively struggled getting into this book for some reason. I really couldn't tell you why, but I really like other work from this author and the writing is good. I just could not connect to the story. About 3/4 through I finally connected with this little tiny bit. It's the relationship dynamic between the "brothers" and Addie. I recognize bits of it from the Wicked series by Paula Black. I was hooked enough by the end of the book that I'll be reading the second.

One thing I did fi
Lacie Jones
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Laetitia
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I expected. In a really good way.
I had expected something set in medieval times like most YA fantasy but the technology in this novel took me by surprise.
I can definitely relate to Addie.
it was one of those nights where every mistake I had ever made was at the forefront of my mind
That and her inability to read people's intentions.
There was great humor and banter. I also loved that the relationships weren't easy or instant.
The expert writing helped convey so many emo
Jill Urbanek Gauger
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Adelaide has everything but her mother and sister. Her grief will not go away even after 3 years after the explosion. Clark has only hid adopted brothers or so he thinks until he finds out his adoptive father is still alive. One fateful night their paths cross and neither will be the same again.
Clark and Addie are forced together because of a strange necklace that is put on Addie’s neck by her friend Nell that now can’t be removed. Numerous people are after the
Katharina
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Fractured Empire written by the author duo Robin D. Mahle is an incredible story with a suspenseful storyline and a writing style I absolutely loved.
Its about Addie, a rich girl close to the monarchy and Clark and his brothers, who were brought up by the most feared terrorist in the country. It's a story full of myths of the old country Levelia. Which one of them are true? That's up them to find out by dealing with an arthefact of great power from Levelia.

I really enjoyed reading this
Erin Kearby
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Was hooked from the very beginning! Quick and easy read! Liked getting to create a new world in my mind from the descriptions of all the different places we get to go on this adventure and all of the characters we get to meet along the way! Big fan of Addie and her snarky, heiress attitude! Also love Clark and his pompous personality 😂 (Becoming a real big fan of these enemies to love interests kind of books!) If you like adventure, snark, a little romance, and a lot of fun read ...more
Stephanie
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I LOVE the author's writing, especially their dialogue. I don't often find books that are written this well (stylistically). The characters were fun to follow, and they had dynamic personalities. My only issue with this book was that I never really got hooked, and I ended up being bored with the storyline. Unfortunately this impacted how much I enjoyed the book. Regardless, i'd encourage other readers to pick this up, be
Brianna Schierenbeck
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

I’m not sure how to feel. I liked the story but I did find it a little confusing at times. I think if I would have read this book with no distractions I would have had a better time reading it. Overall I really did enjoy the story. I found it cute and interesting. Gunther is by far my favorite character in this story.
Christy Hancock
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting read to be sure. Action packed to the hilt with twists and turns everywhere. This book kept me guessing. I'm not sure what to believe at this point or whose side I'm pulling for except Addie's. I love the bickering between the main characters, as well as the brothers. All characters are well developed. If you like excitement, action and worlds unlike the one in which we live this book is for you. Loved the hint of steampunk also. Can't wait to read the next.
Heather Bane
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. This genre is out of my normal and this is a new author for me as well. I was not disappointed. I loved the characters and the storyline. Both are well written and developed. I cannot wait for the next book and am looking forward to reading more from this author. I recommend reading to not just teens and young adults but any adult as well. (I received this book as an arc and am leaving a voluntary honest review)
Scott
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This not my typical type of fantasy , but I was so plesantly suprised by this book . I found myself enjoying the characters at times and other time's not so much because of something they did , lol . That's a good way to know if your vested in the story and I was definitely hooked . The story line moves along well and chapters fly by and before you know your up past your bedtime and your not stopping mid chapter lol. So go ahead and buy this book you will definitely enjoy it . 😆😆😆
Goodreads Librari...: Please add series to my book 4 24 Aug 06, 2018 06:16PM

• Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes #1)
  • Summer's Rebellion
  • Winter (Evermore Academy, #1)
  • Scarlet Huntress
  • Dark Fae (Ruthless Boys of the Zodiac, #1)
  • Zodiac Academy: The Awakening (Supernatural Bullies and Beasts, #1)
  • Zodiac Academy: Ruthless Fae: An Academy Bully Romance (Supernatural Bullies and Beasts, #2)
  • Zodiac Academy: The Reckoning (Supernatural Beasts and Bullies #3)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes #2)
  • Girl at Heart
  • The Vampire Trap (City of Wishes #2)
  • Daughter of Shades (The Venatrix Chronicles, #1)
  • Remnants of Ash
  • The Moonlight Masquerade (City of Wishes #3)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The First Wave
  • Stolen by Darkness
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)

World Apart (3 books)
  • The Tempest Sea (The World Apart Series Book 2)
  • The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)