Start by marking “The Fractured Empire (World Apart, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fractured Empire (World Apart, #1)

The Fractured Empire

(World Apart #1)

Clark and Adelaide think their lives can’t get any worse. Until they meet each other.

Adelaide — heiress to the wealthiest man in the Ceithren Empire — has felt a void since her sister’s death. Just as she’s resigned herself to the empty life her father chose for her, a relic from a world that shouldn’t exist plunges her into chaos.

Clark — son of the greatest terrorist th
Published April 2019 by Amazon Digital Services (first published October 19th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Fractured Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fractured Empire

Start your review of The Fractured Empire (World Apart, #1)
NAT.orious reads ☾
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, arcs
4.5 steampunky ★★★★✬
This book is for you if… you have wasted hours searching for young adult novels that feature mature characters that are eye-rolling for exactly the right reasons. Be prepared for some serious steampunk and a lovely enemies-to-lovers-romance.

Preface.
I suppose it's best if I admit this right away...

commentary 20/04/2020: I miss Gunther so much. Soft bois all the way, people.

Overall.

Yep. This is me, I'm also preggo because Gunther. Gunther. Gun-ther. I love him
Laura Grace
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun story! Had a tad bit of language then I usually care for, but the story was just simply awesome.

Addie and Clark are my new ship couple and totally need to find out what that ship name is! They complimented each other so well, but at the same time were like putting a cat and dog together sometimes! LOL! I definitely loved both of their characters for different reasons but was never disappointed with the POV changes each chapter. (Unless, you know, someone does something dumb
Madison Terwilliger ♥
*Thank you to BookSirens and Amazon for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3.5 out of 5 stars
So! I am not used to reading steampunk books. I wasn't sure how I felt about it in the beginning, but I ended up enjoying the vibe and atmosphere of this story! The plot felt very original and it was overall very intriguing. I loved the characters. I loved the constant bickering and banter between the boys/brothers and Addie.

As soon as I saw the words "enemies-to-lovers" in the blu
Lissa Hawley
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Ok I admit, the slow start had me putting this one down for far too long. But after a nudge from a friend I picked it back up and once I got to chapter 10 I didn't want to put it back down until I finished. (So I didn't!) I am about to start the next and to heck with sleep.

So here's my heads up, it starts slow, but it picks up and it is soooo worth it!
Elle
Nov 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Received an ebook copy of this book for an honest review

DNF at 50%

Maybe this just wasn't my cup of tea because to be honest there wasn't a ton of wrong things in this book, I just wasn't as invested in it as I wanted to. I read tons of book where there were a lot of things I could rant about and this had a few but forgiveable ones. First of all, this book is really, really slow. I've read half of the book and it still feels like the first 3 chapters. The characters felt a bit distant to me. I
Demi Sharpe
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have no idea where to start. There were so many things that I loved about this book, and it was nothing like I was expecting. The characters were easy to relate to, and each had their own little moments where you loved them or hated them.
I think my favourite thing about this book was the fact that assumed it was in medieval times - with the ruling monarchs, princes and princess, swords, etc - but then you're surprised to find tha
SheReads
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start. This book was so good. Robin D. Mahle is a new author to me so I wasn't sure what to expect, but lordy, she blew me away.

The story takes place years after the "silent explosion" that took the lives of Addie's mother and sister. Left in a world with only her father to look after her, she becomes another tool for the empire to use. Until she becomes the unwitting wearer of a necklace originating from a place of myth that shouldn't exist.
The only people who could
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal writing and gripping storyline. I couldn’t help but love the characters more and more with every chapter! Looking forward to the next book, simply couldn’t get enough of Clark and Addie’s adventures!
Jackie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a story. Adelaide and Clark make quite a couple. They don’t always see eye to eye, but makes for an intriguing story. Enjoyable read.
Space Cowgirl
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Leather🐺, Lace💃, and Swords🔪

ADULT Fantasy Human Empire Romance💕 with Political Elements. 💘Love In the shape of a teardrop....

In this very interesting fantasy, it's all politics, all the time, except when it's romance💕 and treason.
Forced into a political marriage by her ruthless father, Adelaide💃💋💔, the heiress, is marrying Prince Perry👑. The two are great friends, but not lovers.

Adelaide💃💋💔 thinks she is immune to love after losing her mother and sister to a terrorist explosion. Perry👑 is a pl
Blaire Hammond
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle Spoiler Free Review.

*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review.*

Wow. I am speechless. This story... this story was just incredible. What a fantastic beginning to an epic, exciting adventure. The writing was addictive and had me hooked from the get go. I hated having to put the book down, and every time I did I was thinking about it. It was so fantastic.

I gave this a 4.5 put of 5 stars. The characters were wonderful explored, an
Deekay
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know what to expect before I started reading this book. But, I’m glad that I ended up enjoying it. It was a very intriguing story, full of surprises, betrayal, and secrets.

The story started off a bit slow, but it picks up right in the middle, and that’s where the fun started, and the ending was quite intense. There was a lot of great actions in the story, especially swords fighting. I really loved books that have swords fighting/battle in it. The actions was written very well, it was sm
OldBird
A guy with an uncertain past, a girl with shattered dreams, and a conspiracy that goes far deeper than they (or you) can begin to comprehend. Can I get a 4.5 stars please? This is one of those series openers that, while not exactly my personal perfect read, is a darn solid piece of YA writing that should be shouted about.

First things first: read The Silent Explosion. This will be important, your memory will be tested upon knowledge imparted by this prequel. That's both a blessing (in that we get
Colleen Kidder
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun book to read! I couldn't put it down! I loved the chemistry between Addie and the fact that we got the story from both of their points of view.
Ken Lee
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about a teenage girl who inadvertently ends up in an adventure involving rebels, mysterious bad guys, intrigue and new friends made under duress. The story moves along at a nice pace and the interplay between the main characters is believable and entertaining. The book ends with a very nice lead in for book 2 and I am looking for to reading it as well.
Sarah Cnossen
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
{I was provided a copy thanks to BookSirens, in exchange for my honest review.}

{The Basics}
I honestly had no idea what to expect in digging into this novel. The story had a fun steampunk, early 20th-century feel to it mixed with a fantastical side of magic. Having never really read much steampunk in the first place, I found myself truly enjoying the genre in this one.

Were it not for the amazing amount of language & open sensuality, this would be a great 5-star review. But alas, it must be too mu
Sandra Singleton
This is a must read by this author. I volunteered to read an advance copy for an honest review.
Jennifer [she/her]
As someone who is intimidated by the heaviness of fantasy, this was such a wonderful story to introduce me to YA dieselpunk as a genre. Fast paced, action packed, love and secrets.. this book had it all.
I am so enamoured with these characters. Addie is a strong willed woman with whom I’m so excited to read more of. The brothers, Clark, Xavier and Gunther are a wonderful trio. Clark is cocky and desperate for answers on their father’s death. Xavier is frustrated and protective of his brothers. G
Tanya
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her sister is dead and she is grieving badly so she decides to take the only piece left of her to the place they were to go together. He knows his dad was innocent but to prove it he needs to question them but that would only happen if he can steal the amulet. Suddenly they are lush together and they must prevent killing each other while staying one step ahead of others who want them dead. What is going on? Will they do it? See if they can

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am
Linda
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book started out slow but I think that's because I haven't read the short story prequel. However when Addie and Clark come together, well what can I say, the movie in my head became Technicolor. I immediately disliked Adelaide's father. He's a very cold bastard. Without Nell and her private security Locke her life would be totally unlivable. I loved Gunther with his sweet personality and genus IQ. Of course you have level headed Xavier to try to keep Clark out of trouble, but that was befor ...more
Scott
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This not my typical type of fantasy , but I was so plesantly suprised by this book . I found myself enjoying the characters at times and other time's not so much because of something they did , lol . That's a good way to know if your vested in the story and I was definitely hooked . The story line moves along well and chapters fly by and before you know your up past your bedtime and your not stopping mid chapter lol. So go ahead and buy this book you will definitely enjoy it . 😆😆😆
Taylor
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
“I had discovered I liked keeping myself in pieces, and I never handed them all out to one person.”

Kidnapped heiress. Mystical object of unknown power. Enemies to lovers romance. Need I say more? Honestly though, this book hit all the right notes and then some I wasn’t even expecting. Such a spectacular hidden gem.

I loved Clark & Addie so much. These two were so broken at the start of this book, closed off in their grief from losing the ones they loved but as they come together thro
Nicole Courtney
Disclaimer : I was given an advanced copy of this book by booksirens in exchange for an honest review

I really liked the Fractured Empire. When I read the summary, the thought of two characters joining together on an adventure was appealing and the enemies to friends was an added bonus. I must say this book was different in a good way to what I expected. Here is a short summary :

The setting : The setting is steampunk with Victorian vibes. It really made me think of a mixture of the Shadowhunters
Rachel
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
The Fractured Empire was an interesting book. I rated it 3 stars, but in honesty it was more like 3.5 for me.

The setting of the story is very interesting. It's steampunk, or some variation thereof (I've seen people say dieselpunk) and I don't nearly read enough of that genre. It is a post-war empire, and a few years earlier there had been a devastating silent explosion in which the mother and sister of Addie (one of the main characters) die. At first the book had a medieval feel to it, especiall
Alyssa Small
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked up The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle. Kindle told me I’d like it, and I’d needed something new. It piqued my interest — steampunk feel, a clear ‘ship, a peculiar world — and after a few chapters, it had sucked me in. I didn’t want to put it down, and blew through it on the weekend and then picking it up every chance I could the next day, on my lunch break and immediately after work, not stopping until I’d finished the book at midnight. It ...more
Alyssa Danielson
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars - This book hovered between "I liked it" and "I loved it," so I'm rounding to 4 stars. I joined a Facebook group that provides ARCs in exchange for honest reviews. The author is releasing book 3 and wanted readers, but she offered to give us the beginning of the series to catch up with the story. I'm totally nerding out on the fact that authors are emailing me books!

Anyway, The Fractured Empire was a fast-paced, enjoyable read. There were elements of the world that I had definitely ex
NoNo JoJo
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Preface: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Actual rating: 4.25 stars
Explicit content: Sexual activity is alluded to, pretty PG violence
Recommended for: Romance/fantasy lovers, anyone interested in steam/dieselpunk

I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me a lot of "Princess of Death," another YA romance featuring a hate/love romance in a tropical setting that I read earlier this year. It also gives me vague Atlantis (Disney version) vibes, probably because of t
Anais (atrailofpages)
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh this book! I honestly don’t know how to explain how much I enjoyed this book! I received an advance review copy for free(thank you Booksirens!), and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

I had read a previous book by Robin D Mahle and loved it and I knew I had to read another by them. This book definitely met my expectations and more.

This story follows Adelaide(Addie) who comes into possession of an ancient artifact(reluctantly) and then proceeds to be hunted by literally everyone who
Joanna E.Lopez
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fine romance.My dear this is. Review of Fractured Empire.

Adeline is a princess who's lost her mother, sister and best friend to a terrorist act. Now she is left with her father to have to reign over the kingdom. Adeline is set to marry a Prince to gain the throne however she runs away and eventually gets kidnapped by Clark and his two brothers, Xavior and Gunther who are from the other side of the kingdom. (the poorer side) are looking to steal the most valuable necklace they know the princes
Billy Buttons
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: The Fractured Empire

Writing Style: 8/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 8/10
Of the 17 readers:
16 would read another book by this author.
14 thought the cover was good or excellent.
17 felt it was easy to follow.
17 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
Of all the readers, 6 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add series to my book 4 24 Aug 06, 2018 06:16PM

• Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages #1)
  • Summer's Rebellion (The Lochlann Treaty, #3)
  • Throne of Sand (Desert Nights Novels, #1)
  • The Queen of Cursed Things (The Serpents and Kings Trilogy #1)
  • Princess of Smoke (Desert Nights Novels, #3)
  • Palace of Wishes (Desert Nights Novels, #2)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
  • Sea of Starlight (The Riven Kingdoms #2)
  • Stealing Embers (Fallen Legacies, #1)
  • Forest of Firelight (The Riven Kingdoms, #1)
  • Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)
  • Shadow Ruin (Shadow Fall, #3)
  • Of Dreams and Sorcery (Royal Fae Guardians, #1)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Daughter of No Worlds (The War of Lost Hearts, #1)
  • To Carve a Fae Heart (The Fair Isle Trilogy, #1)
  • Fae's Defiance (Queens of the Fae Book 2)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
Robin D. Mahle started out as a pen name I shared with my husband for The World Apart Series, but since then, I've absconded with it to delve into the wonderful world of fairy tale retellings and fantasy romances with my partner in crime, Elle Madison.

When I'm not writing, you can find me spending time with my seven hundred cats and drinking wine by the barrel.

World Apart (4 books)
  • The Tempest Sea (World Apart, #2)
  • The Forgotten World (The World Apart, #3)
  • The Ever Falls (World Apart, #4)