Jump to ratings and reviews

Butterfly in Frost

From #1 New York Times bestselling phenomenon Sylvia Day comes a hotly anticipated and passionate new love story.

Once, I would never have imagined myself here. But I’m settled now. In a place I love, in a home I renovated, spending time with new friends I adore, and working a job that fulfills me. I am reconciling the past and laying the groundwork for the future.

Then Garrett Frost moves in next door.

He’s obstinate and too bold, a raging force of nature that disrupts the careful order of my life. I recognize the ghosts that haunt him, the torment driving him. Garrett would be risky in any form, but wounded, he’s far more dangerous. I fear I’m too fragile for the storm raging inside him, too delicate to withstand the pain that buffets him. But he’s too determined…and too tempting.

And sometimes hope soars above even the iciest desolation.

Emotional and heartrending, Butterfly in Frost marks a brilliant return by global sensation Sylvia Day, the #1 international multimillion bestselling author of the Crossfire saga.

199 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 27, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sylvia Day is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today, #1 Sunday Times, #1 Globe and Mail, #1 Der Spiegel, and #1 international bestselling author of over twenty award-winning novels, including ten New York Times bestsellers and thirteen USA Today bestsellers. She is a number one bestselling author in twenty-nine countries, with translations in forty-one languages and over twenty million copies of her books in print. Visit the author at sylviaday.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2,307 (12%)
1 star
1,079 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,161 reviews
Profile Image for Sophia Triad.
2,239 reviews3,456 followers
December 8, 2019
After Gideon Cross, let's meet Garrett Frost!
New book and new alpha male from Sylvia Day, August 2019.

5 “wait for the twist!” stars

“You’re broken. I’m broken. We don’t throw the pieces away. We fit them together until they make something new.”

I always appreciate a good twist and this book has been such a treat for me. I highly anticipated it and it did not let me down. An unbelievably fulfilling story and an out of the blue ending. A story that leaks desperation and darkness but at the same time it hides so much hope and light.

Teagan is a butterfly hidden in her cocoon, ready to immerse into the light when the right opportunity comes. She is hopeless and lonely but she will not hesitate to grab the opportunity to feel alive again when larger than life Garrett storms like a bull her life and demands her attention.

We all wear armor in different ways.
Mine is reinvention.

I have to mention here what great Alpha males Sylvia Day can create! Garrett is so attractive, so fuckable, so Male and at the same time so considerate and so vulnerable that you cannot help falling in love with him.

Teagan will find life and hope because she will not be alone in her agony and pain. Garrett has his own deep dark secrets and emotional pain. He is the only one who can get her, who can understand her and help her. His pretty butterfly. His muse. His only hope.

The time they spend together is explosive and untamed. Like two flames that become more vibrant, more intense, more unstoppable when they touch each other. Their first time will make you breathless.

I loved that the writing style concentrates more on the feelings and the emotions and less on the descriptions of the surroundings and the protagonists’ characters. The truth is that you can understand so much about the characters without being spoon-fed the way the author thinks about them.
It was a trip, a game, a treat for me trying to understand their actions.

I couldn't put this book down when I started it and this does not happen often lately for me. So happy that I was not let down. On the contrary it was one of the best books I have read so far this year.

The story takes place in the Crossfire universe, so expect cameo appearances by our favourite Gideon and Eva. Short appearances but sweet.

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

“I’m a hopeless romantic—what can I say?”
Profile Image for Corina.
759 reviews2,127 followers
March 25, 2023
What can I say, the author’s CrossFire novels were some of my favorites 7 years ago. I devoured book 1-3 and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. That’s now many years ago, but I was still extremely interested and excited to get my hands on her latest release, even if it’s only a novella.

___________________________________

But with 199 pages, it’s a good length novella. Great for in between heavier books, for a sunny afternoon, a few hours of easy reading.

One thing is for sure the author knows how to write sexy and sensual imagery that are incredibly hot. That’s something that hasn’t changed since Eva and Gideon. The sexiness wasn’t OTT either, it was well placed and kept to a minimum for the amount of pages. But there was enough teasing and sexual tension to turn this novella into a sexy read.

The way the novella was structured would have done well in a full length novel, the twist alone was a great one, and could have done even better in a more fleshed out, and suspenseful storyline.

What bothered me a little is that the heroine is half asian but we only find out about it at the 75% mark and it was only mentioned two times within two sentences in the same paragraph. That felt a bit lackluster and more like an afterthought or just something to add, since diversity is such a hot topic lately, it didn’t fee genuine at all.

I must admit I wasn’t impressed by this novella, but it wasn’t a bad one either. All in all it’s a perfectly quick and easy read that will agree with most SD fans.

___________________________________
I received a copy of this book from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. My opinions have not been influenced by the publisher or the author.

Profile Image for Stanella.
39 reviews
October 10, 2022
Well. That was interesting--AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY.

Lots of spoilers ahead.

I have lots of opinions, but FUNDAMENTALLY, if you would like to see how narrative choice can really fuck up a book, here you go.

So Teagan is a grieving mother and presumably the first person present narration is a way of capturing how she's just soldiering through moment by moment. Okay, I could see how that might work.

But, having first person present totally undermines the entire plot twist. It literally doesn't make a lick of fucking sense. So, let's see, she OFTEN thinks about her disastrous first marriage and divorce, but never once about the fact that Garrett is also the ex-husband in question. NEVER ONCE?

Authors can't really have it both ways, they are either using first person present to capture the now, characters learn things as readers do, but that is a narrative choice that is really at odds with a big plot twist that is based on the fact that "these characters know something readers don't."

There's literally no way, structurally to have this work unless we are supposed to believe that Teagan is *completely disassociated* from her literal entire past? And listen, if that's the case, she needs real fucking help, not this dumbass ex husband moving in next door and buying her the couch she really wanted. Sure, Jan.

This book was a fucking mess.
Profile Image for Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾.
2,018 reviews12k followers
August 29, 2019
3 STARS
We don’t talk about next week. We exist only in the now and tomorrow, right here.

I've missed Sylvia Day's writing immensely. So when I saw she has a book coming out, I jumped on it quicker than you can blink. I barely spared the blurb a glimpse, if I'm being perfectly honest here.

I was immediately enraptured in Day's words and the quick paced story line. This is tied in the Crossfire world, and you get come cameos of Eva here. I don't remember much of the series beyond the first book, and I didn't read 3-5, so I can't say how much of this heroine is introduced in those books. I will say, with the way the heroine and some of the secondary characters are introduced and written, it felt like we should already know who they are.

Unfortunately, right around the 40% mark I began to find myself disengaging more and more. The character development felt lacking. I struggled to truly connect to the heroine. There were also just one too many plot holes. And then the plot twist hits you right over the head I was at a complete loss. Granted, the plot twist is what saved the story for me. I was fairly bored right up until that point and the twist revived it for me. But, and this is a big BUT, it simply wasn't fleshed out enough to truly pack the punch it was meant to.

This should have been a full length novel. As it was, with the page count, there just wasn't enough to truly give that amazing twist justice. The ending was too sudden and completely glossed over. This was a story meant for a full length novel. As a novella, it felt lackluster and unfinished.

ARC courtesy of publisher in exchange for an honest review

Find me on:
Follow me on facebook Follow Me on Twitter blog
Profile Image for Sentranced Jem.
1,090 reviews572 followers
November 25, 2020
It’s the year 2013… I got my first taste of Bared to You. I was hooked with Gideon and Eva story. Crossfire series was one of those series that pushed my limit and gave me a taste of a genre that was completely different. Though I have to say that Fifty Shades of Grey was also one such book.

Fast forward the year 2019…When I found out that Sylvia Day was releasing a book, I wanted it ASAP! Plus, that cover was the completely opposite of the Crossfire series so yes, I was intrigued.

Now I have to be honest, I had a hard time reading this book. I felt like it took me ages to complete it. I stuck around only because it was a Sylvia Day book. Perhaps it’s wrong of me to have had such a high expectation of the book but I loved the crossfire series and Day is one of the OG’s of that genre and trope.

Now, getting back to the story there were a few things that made it difficult for me to tarry on.
I feel like a hypocrite when I say this considering I have loved other books by other others where characters fall instantaneously in love with each other. I don’t mind love/lust/attraction at first sight but everything happened between them too quickly for my liking in this book. It’s not even a question of playing hard to get, Garret and Teagan’s relationship just didn’t add up.

As a reader, Garret and Teagan’s attraction isn’t attractive to read.
Garret is over the top, pushy and has no respect for boundaries! I kept wanting to knock some sense into Teagan because I couldn’t understand why she’d let him (a man she met just a few hours ago) just reign over her like that…letting him trample.
Garrett pissed me off to no end by getting way into her space. He was never disrespectful to her by being mean but his pushiness and stalkerish ability gave me a headache.I wanted to shout at him and say “Privacy is a vital factor dude! Learn it! “.
I felt like wagging my finger at him and saying “Respectfulness is an important character to have yound man”. hahaha

But we do FINALLY find out what’s really going on towards the end of the book but I still think it was such a…hmm… I don’t want to say convenient end but that is the one word that popped into my head. Sorry but that wasn’t worth it.

Don’t even me started on Teagan’s friend Roxy. What a stupid woman! Apparently she feels uncomfortable to be around people who are going through grief? What a load of crap! She says she doesn’t know how to be there for a person who is suffering since it’s such a “personal thing”.What kind of friend is that?! Someone who’s uncomfortable during times of need. Teagan should have dropped her! No one needs friends like that- friends who are only there during the good times.

I am sorry but Butterfly in Frost disappointed me so much! My copy of the book is outlined left and right, I marked everything and wrote notes after notes of all the things I hated about the entire thing.

Don’t even get me started again on the fact that Sylvia Day gave a revalation about the fact that Teagan is Half Asian only at the 75th % of the the book. If you blink, you’ll miss that line.

If you can, skip this book. Just remember the good old ‘Crossfire‘ days because this book will burst the ‘I am Sylvia Day’s Fan’ bubble.
Profile Image for Geri Reads.
1,232 reviews2,040 followers
DNF

This was by far the blandest book I've read this year. I couldn't muster any interest in the two leads and their romance is as exciting as watching paint dry.

ARC provided by Montlake Romance
Profile Image for Jonetta.
2,205 reviews921 followers
October 10, 2019
Teagan Ransom is reinventing herself. She’s a plastic surgeon and former reality TV star now living in Seattle, transplanted from New York. She’s made new friends and is living in a butterfly-roofed house with a view of Puget Sound and working from home developing skin care products. Her tranquil existence is disrupted when her next door neighbors suddenly sell their home to Garrett Frost, a successful photographer. Their attraction is instant but it’s clear that both have some tragedy in their pasts.

Butterfly Roof Home
79CAD2B9-5B41-4FFF-BB12-A432B460C1A7

This was a puzzling story for most of the book as there was an intimacy between Garrett and Teagan that ramped up at lightening speed. I wasn’t feeling it and kept looking for the why. Teagan’s story was revealed so slowly but I knew it was still incomplete because it didn’t provide meaningful insights. Garrett’s was equally slow but much more enlightening. There was always enough to keep me in the story but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was missing something, like I’d been dropped into the middle of the book. My instincts were dead on as there’s a bombshell dropped late into the party. I’m still trying to sort out if it would have been better to have this revealed earlier. I’m thinking not because I blew through this, trying to GET these characters and what they were about. I liked both of them, though Garrett could come on strong at times. No matter, though as I rooted for them to work.

Fans of Crossfire will be delighted to see characters from that series make brief appearances. You don’t have to have read those books to follow what’s going on but insiders will appreciate the updates.

I listened to this story and the narrators were very good, especially Emma Wilder who carries most of the weight. Her male voice was excellent, making me think that it was an actual male narrator! I’m very glad I chose this format as it really helped me enjoy the book, despite my frustration with the delay in figuring things out. 3.5 stars

(Thanks to Brilliance Audio for me complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.)
August 28, 2019
Highly advertised book every where but why? I expected something out of the world but then I remembered that this is the author who wrote Gideon and Eva and we all know how that went.

Actual review..

I feel like I’ve read this book before. You know, the book where the MCs are married, lost a kid, hero instead of growing a pair and fight for his wife and marriage gives in and gives the heroine a divorced because she’s ridden with guilt and depression that she thinks he has given up on their marriage? Yeah, that book.
This was a mess. I’m not going to explain it. It was just a mess. A confusing mess. I should have never bother reading it.
For me it was like it was my job to figured everything out. The heroine didn’t even go to a therapist for her depression nope, she went to a psychic! She said that a therapist wasn’t working for her but a psychic was her own way of dealing. Why the hell did they pretended that they haven’t met when they saw each other again?

Safety: at this point I know the heroine has been celibate because she had depression. Hero, well that’s up to debate. Although he does mention it’s been a while that he has had sex. I’ll assume it’s been 1 year?. That’s how long it has been since their kid died. A couple of months since they have gotten a divorce.
Overall this book it’s not worth 3.99$
Thank god for KU!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
July 30, 2022

Heat/Steam: 🔥🔥🔥🔥
Story/Plot: 📕📗📙
World building: 🌏🌍🌎🌍
Character development: 😤😥😊🤩😘

The heroine: Dr. Teagan Ransome - a reality TV surgeon who recently moved to Washington from New York City where she also worked for Gideon and Eva Cross on Cross industries new skincare line. She restored her mid century home while flying back and forth, but now is home for the most part and is trying to recover and change her life after her marriage broke up.

The Hero: Garrett Frost - a “visual feast of deeply tanned skin, intricate sleeves of tattooed art and sweat slicked flexing musculature…brutally, breathlessly handsome”, he is a photographer and a painter and he moved to Puget Sound in a rush after picking out a house and offering the owners a large cash payment to vacate the home within weeks.

The Story: Teagan first sees Garrett while she is out walking dogs with her neighbor and he is jogging, when she is nearly hit by a car, he saves her in the nick of time. While he is growling at her, she is gawking at him. Suffice it to say, that first meeting doesn’t go well at all. The second is explosive.

This is the first Sylvia Day book I have read other than the Crossfire series, which is one of my favorite series. I have to admit just the mention of Gideon Cross in the beginning of the book had me wanting to re-read that series which I read years ago before I was doing reviews. I read mixed reviews of this one, but went in with an open mind.

The book was told in dual points of view via dual narration. The narration was done by Emma Wilder and Joe Arden both of whom I really enjoy. Emma Wilder has a soft clear voice that sounds age appropriate for Teagan who must be in her early thirties or so and Joe Arden is one of my favorite male narrators and always does a great job.

This is a shorter book (200 pages) and it gets steamy pretty fast. I really liked the hot, sexy alpha male that was Garrett Frost who goes after what he wants and makes no bones about it. There is a ton of chemistry between Garrett and Teagan from the very beginning. Though it did seem to move too fast. There was definitely insta-lust which isn’t a problem, but they seemed to go from not knowing each other to in a serious relationship within a few days.

Both Teagan and Garrett were damaged and suffering from depression. I liked how they dealt with their respective issues together. The storyline did get a bit ‘depressing’ at times, which is par for the course when dealing with the subject, so that was expected, though I didn’t like the big secret that was revealed at the end of the book. I usually like surprises that I can’t predict but this one kind of ruined things for me.

Blog|Goodreads|Facebook|Instagram|Twitter|BookBub
Profile Image for Beatrice Masaluñga.
1,137 reviews1,662 followers
August 28, 2019
Thank you Montlake Romance for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review. 💙

Butterfly in Frost is Sylvia Day's comeback novel. Though it's a short book, I'm excited to see what's in store for her since Crossfire series.

The story is about Dr. Teagan Ransom, a cosmetic surgeon and she's divorced from her husband. Being brokenhearted led her to depression and she isn't ready to fall in love again. When a new guy moves in their neighborhood, it shook Teagan and she never thought she'll find someone whom she can connect with. Garrett Frost is an enigma. A mysterious, hot painter who's quite arrogant at first but damn.. the guy is sexy!

I don't want to give much away what happened in the book. The best part was the plot twist on the last chapter. It never crossed my mind THAT happened. I was too engrossed with the premised and I have to backtrack if I missed something. I think Ms. Sylvia Day is evil laughing right now as she fooled us. That was well played.
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,901 reviews634 followers
September 8, 2019
Nope. I do not like this book at all. Its very confusing. And the twist at the end, its very bizzare. Thankfully this book is short.

The twist is suppose to heighten the climax/ mystery. But to m its very confusing and turns off. The sex scenes are mediocore.

2 stars
Profile Image for Optimist ♰King's Wench♰.
1,765 reviews3,851 followers
Disappointing

Take this review with this grain of salt: I'm a YUGE fan of her Crossfire series so I had high expectations for the first book Day has written since that unforgettable series three years ago. Maybe too high.

Almost immediately I found the the similarities between this narrative and even these characters eerily similar to Eva and Gideon. Too similar.

• Both have mental health issues.
• Garrett is über possessive and comes on like a freight train just like Gideon. Also, both names start with "G". Coincidence?
• Garrett also shares many of the same physical attributes as Gideon. He's maybe slightly less wealthy. Just as broody and forget your name hot.
• Teagan is perhaps somewhat more fragile than Eva but still eerily similar in temperament as well as physique.
• Even some of the same verbiage is used. I'm looking at you "brutally" and you "masculine" and you "intense sexuality".

I did enjoy how much they are into each other but it all happens so fast with no character development to make me invest in them. The twist at the end didn't help in that regard either, though I know it was supposed to but it just seemed like an easy out for not developing either of them or their relationship, a contrivance if you will.

I appreciate the feel good nature of this story but the bottom line is it felt like a whitewashed and recycled version of Crossfire only without the incredible sexy times.
Profile Image for Maria Clara.
995 reviews506 followers
February 22, 2020
Admito que me encanta la idea del libro y que sorprende, pero no me ha convencido el modo en que está narrado. Ojo, sólo es una opinión. Una manera diferente de percibir lo escrito. A parte de esto, creo que más adelante probaré a leer otra novela de la Day 😋
Profile Image for Anne.
10 reviews1 follower
May 1, 2019
Just saw that this book is supposed to be published in August this year.
Since I was drinking coffee when I read that, I literally snorted said coffee all over my computer screen 😂
This has to be a joke, right?

I have previously enjoyed reading some of miss Days books, but she will hardly go down in history as a reliable author.
Her first book in the Blacklist Series; So Close was originally scheduled to be published in 2017 and it has yet to actually see the light of day.
Seriously; a 2,5 year delay - that has to be some kind of record!

In fact most, if not all of the previous books I have read by Sylvia Day have had seriously delayed publish dates (including Afterburn/Aftershock and the Crossfire Series)

I am not holding my breath for this one to be released on time either.
Profile Image for Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile.
1,658 reviews330 followers
August 28, 2019
I find it difficult to do spoilers free reviews but this one is definitely better when one goes in blind, the plot twist was well done with hints of the situation only coming out in the late half of the book. My problem is that for all that it was sexy, emotional and interesting it felt like half of a book! So much of the story was left hanging I wanted to scream! Seriously I love you, I've always loved you ........and that's it???? I want to know how??? I want to know why???? I wanted to Know the timeline??? I wanted to know what happened in between??? How did the H move in there???? Why???what the situation with her ex? How did their relationship develop???? Like seriously wtf!!!!!! The abrupt ending spoiled what could've been a really good book!

The h was celibate
It appeared the H was too( no actual confirmation but because of the way he was with her I'm choosing to believe he was)
No OM/OW drama, there was mention of an OW but she was just a friend
Death of a child is mentioned
Profile Image for Brooke — brooklynnnnereads.
1,004 reviews246 followers
December 23, 2019
As a fan of the Crossfire series that was written by the same author, I was really anticipating this novel. That anticipation did somewhat decrease when I heard about the length of this novel (or novella) but I still had some hope.

Well. That hope was lost. Quickly.

I spent the majority of the time while reading this book thinking, 'what the heck am I reading'. I have to tread carefully to avoid spoilers but this story was very odd and uncomfortable to read. I will say that the ending (and explanation) made the overall story LESS odd and uncomfortable but....it was still weird. Very, very weird.

I can guarantee that many people went into reading this based on the excitement from the Crossfire series but if I could give anyone a warning, let it be that this is a VERY different story that in no way resembles that series. Keep your expectations at a minimum.
Profile Image for Geo Marcovici.
1,241 reviews296 followers
January 29, 2020
Translation widget on the blog!!! 🌺🌺🌺

O lectură care se joacă cu emoțiile cititorului, puternică și intensă, o disecție pe viu a sufletului.
Teagan și Garrett sunt două personaje care intrigă și cuceresc!
Fiecare are un bagaj emoțional de dus, le este frică să-și mai riște sufletul, dar cel mai mult se tem de suferință. Fie că vine în urma acțiunilor, faptelor sau cuvintelor unuia din ei.
Superbă!!!!
Recenzia mea completă o găsiți aici:
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,150 reviews1,206 followers
description

Sylvia Day. Back after years of ... whatever she was doing or going through. And I'm so happy she's back! I LOVED the Crossfire series! And I loved this one. First of all ... the cover! Isn't it pretty????
I'm not really sure where butterflys are to be found in the book, but pffft - it's so pretty! And Frost is obviously our hero's last name!
OK ... I have SO much to say about the story. But I will have to put most of it in a spoiler thingy! And please don't read my spoiler before reading the book because it will destroy your reading pleasure - DESTROY IT!!!! Come back after reading the book and tell me if you're on the same page as I am! ☺
But before you read the book, I can tell you the following:
It's a sweet and sexy and heartbreaking and beautiful love story. Beautiful people. Beautiful places. Some might say that it's way too short. Sylvia explains and describes things in too much detail for such a short book. It should've been a real long novel. There's SO much story here. So much. I really don't know why Sylvia didn't do a long book. I'm a bit sad about it. BUT - it's kinda amazing the way it is, because .... and here I have to go into spoiler-mode - so please - DO NOT KEEP ON READING MY REVIEW! I WILL SPOIL. HARD!!!!!

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Profile Image for Jacqueline.
1,628 reviews148 followers
Bizarre twist

This started so well but got crazier. I wondered few times if I'd accidentally skipped forward a few pages because the story seemed to move faster than I was seeing. While the tension and the smut were fab, I'd actually forgotten how irritating all of the navel gazing and talk of therapy is in her books. That was the thing that I really disliked about the Crossfire series and unfortunately it's a recurring and annoyingly frequent theme in this too, despite it's short novella length. Not my favourite from this author I'm afraid.
Complete story, available in ku.
Profile Image for Maria.
716 reviews53 followers
February 10, 2020
Doamne fereste!
De mult nu am mai citit o carte atât de prost scrisă. Știam că autoarea are tendința de a se grăbi și de a fi superficială în creionarea personajelor și scoaterea acestora în evidență, dar nu mă așteptam ca după atâta timp să nu evolueze deloc. Băi, dar deloc.
Povestea este, cum să zic, nu cliseică neapărat, dar neverosimilă. Adică, merg eu așa pe stradă cu prietena mea și văd un Adonis, si mă emoționez și scap câinele din lesă și o iau la fugă și cât să dea masina peste mine dar, vai... îmi urlă gargaunii în cap și mă gandesc la o partida sex cu Adonis. Și nu e așa că atunci când întâlniți o persoană pe stradă si aveti contact vizual, persoana aia vine la voi la ușă și dă cu voi de toți pereții, trezind bestia sexuală care dormea adânc? Nu? Serios? A, credeam că așa se întâmplă. Ce proastă sunt! Și lista poate continua la nesfârșit, jur.
Adică să-mi arătați mie femeia aia care dă drumul în viața ei, unui străin, doar așa că arată bine și e sexy. Una e să te lasi agățată în bar, ai o aventură... sfârșit, și alta e sa-i permiți să intre în casa ta, în viața ta, și să mai ai si accese de gelozie că nu a venit nush unde în ziua în care l-ai cunoscut. Pe bune?
Personaje mai plate și mai superficiale n-am mai descoperit de mult...dar am avut parte aici cu vârf și îndesat. Hai, poate că subiectul în sine n-ar fi fost atât de rău, dar cum a fost scris... Doamne...
Nu, nu, nu!
Câteodată simt nevoia să citesc cărți din astea prostești, dar astăzi nu a fost acel moment. Am avut tendința de vreo 3 ori să renunț la ea și acu că am terminat-o, mă cert că nu am facut-o. Am pierdut câteva ore în care aș fi putut citi ceva interesant, dar na... mai fac și greșeli.
Nu știu dacă sunt eu de vină sau cartea e chiar proastă, așa că nu ma erijez în a da verdicte, dacă trebuie sau nu să fie citită... ci doar o notez pur si simplu. De la mine nu vede mai mult de 1 stea. De aici, trageți voi concluzia.
Profile Image for Zoe.
1,821 reviews172 followers
August 29, 2019
3.5 Stars.

Quick, fervent, and surprising!

Butterfly in Frost is an emotionally-charged, erotic novella that takes you on a journey into the life of Teagan Ransom, a fragile, hesitant, plastic surgeon who finds herself inadvertently in the crosshairs of her sexy, secretive, new neighbour, Garrett Frost whose determined to sweep her off her feet.

The prose is seductive and tight. The characters are wounded, lonely, and hopeful. And the plot is a dramatic tale with a sliver of mystery that’s full of heartache, loss, guilt, grief, relationship dynamics, friendship, community, romance, explosive chemistry, and enduring love.

Overall, Butterfly in Frost is a sensual, emotive, uplifting tale that highlights the importance of letting go of the past, forgiving one’s self, taking chances, and moving on. And even though the plot seemed to move quite fast at times and could have been a bit longer to allow for some more depth in the characterization and storyline there’s a fantastic little twist that will almost certainly have you eager to start it all over again.

Thank you to Midas PR and Montlake Romance for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lost In My Own World Of Books.
563 reviews176 followers
September 11, 2020
Estava mesmo a precisar de um romance assim. A premissa do livro nada faz prever o seu fim.

Neste livro ficamos a conhecer uma médica que vive na casa e no lugar onde ama. Tem a sua amiga fiel que lhe anima os dias. E os seus vizinhos unidos.

Uma mulher que gosta de estar sozinha no seu espaço. Isto muda quando um homem muda-se para a casa do lado. Um homem solteiro, ao que parece, numa casa gigante. O que será que ele esconde? Fica ela a pensar.

O primeiro encontro deles é eletrizante e tudo começa a conhecer muito rápido. Começa a paixão, a intensidade e o amor. Mas porque que será tudo tão intenso com aquele homem? O que que ele tem de diferente?

Aos poucos e poucos vão revelando pormenores da vida um do outro que os fazem aproximar mais. Há uma compreensão mútua.

Senti mesmo que tudo estava a acontecer tão rápido e de forma muito intensa, até que chega ao final.

O final que não esperava de todo. O final que me fez ficar de boca aberta. O final que me fez perceber tudo, o porque de tanta intensidade, de tanta paixão e de tanta compreensão.
Profile Image for Tracy *To the point Reviews*.
647 reviews161 followers
I DNF this.

From the get go, it felt choppy and bizarre. The logic of the Hero and heroine's actions right from the get go made no sense. I felt some sort of super reveal coming but the beginning just didn't hold my interest enough to make me want to go there.
Profile Image for Lu Bielefeld .
4,040 reviews447 followers
March 20, 2020
2 ⭐⭐ - Meh!
===========
I read the book to the end to see if anything would happen, but nothing happened. It was very boring.
She remained celibate and drowned in depression; he gave up their marriage very easily. It is not clear whether he was celibate or not. That blonde with him at first helping him move home leaves us in doubt.
The story is full of holes and leaves us not really knowing what happened and when it happened. So much that went unanswered that frustrated me with reading.
I was disappointed and dissatisfied.

“The blonde with him was a looker. Supermodel skinny with legs for days.”

“Since you didn’t seem too happy about running into me,” I say finally, “I’m wondering why you’re here.”

On top of the dresser is a shiny black dish holding a single ring: a gold band.

“I know her,” Roxy says, snapping her fingers as she racks her brain. “Tatiana Cherlin.”

Roxy catches my eye. “She’s the blonde I saw at Garrett’s house just after he moved in. I thought she looked familiar, but I didn’t place her until just now.”

“He’s not our son, Teagan. He’s not our David. David’s dead.”

She frowns. “When you didn’t put up a fight, I figured you were done.”

Profile Image for Three Chicks.
2,598 reviews416 followers
Review by Lisa Kane

I wanted so badly to like this book. After all it's by the woman who created Gideon Cross. But it just went down too many paths and lost it's way.

The main character, Teagan, is a plastic surgeon who is working on a beauty product for a famous company. If she mentioned the word ECRA+ one more time...I really started to wonder if the product truly existed and the author was somehow connected to it.

She has some kind of tragedy in her recent past, but it's murky and mysterious. Her best friend Roxy wants her to get out more and keeps referring to her divorce from a famous celebrity. She's intrigued by the new neighbor who's just moved in. Rumor has it that he's rich, and famous.

But there's more to the neighbor than Teagan is letting on. That's when I really started to get confused. Why all this cloak and dagger stuff? Even at the end, I never felt any real connection between these two, just tons of sex and hints at a secret. I had so many questions that remained unanswered. I call it Swiss Cheese Syndrome. Too many holes left open.

There is a twist in the characters but I don't want to spoil the plot. Even this twist couldn't save this story line for me.
Profile Image for Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews .
1,394 reviews184 followers
August 26, 2019
This was such a joyful surprise, having been a fan of Sylvia Day since I first discovered her over 5 years ago with Gideon, I was absolutely over the moon to get an ARC.

Butterfly is Frost is an insta-sexy and captivating read that threw me for a loop. It's heart racing, surprising, and at times, stunningly heartbreaking. I want more.

~Tanja

*ARC via publisher

TwitterFacebookPinterestBookBabblersInstagram
Profile Image for Ari .
928 reviews306 followers
August 27, 2019
*I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

SYLVIA DAY IS BACK!

description

As a huge fan of Sylvia Day’s Crossfire series, I was over the moon to hear that she was finally releasing a new book. It’s been years since I’ve read a book by Day and I was low key starting to get anxious that maybe we weren’t going to get another book at all but I’m happy to say that I was wrong and I couldn’t wait to dive into Butterfly in Frost to see what it was all about.

After a public divorce leaves her in pieces, Teagan Ransom decides to move across country hoping that a change in scenery will help mend her broken heart. What she doesn’t anticipate is her hot new neighbor, Garrett Frost. Despite her best efforts at keeping Garrett at arms-length, Teagan finds herself quickly falling for the artist who also knows the struggle of heartache. Teagan doesn’t want to risk losing herself again but the heart wants what it wants and sometimes giving into temptation is just too hard to resist.

My review for this book might be all over the place because I feel like this story is a little bit all over the place and I also don’t want to spoil anything but enough rambling, let’s get to this review. Butterfly in Frost is a novella that is set in the Crossfire world and if you’re wondering if we get to see any of the characters from the Crossfire series, I’m happy to report that we do! Back to the story, we’re introduced to Teagan, a hot-shot celebrity doctor who moves to Washington to get away from the public eye after her divorce. She ends up running into Garrett (literally) and there’s an instant attraction between the pair. Now, if you don’t like insta-lust then this may not be the book for you because things get pretty hot and heavy between Garrett and Teagan very quickly. I was a little taken aback by it because I wasn’t expecting the sexy times to happen so soon but they were happening and there was no slowing down. I think that’s why I wasn’t so invested in the actual romance because it felt so rushed and I didn’t get a chance to enjoy it as much.

While I can’t say that I connected with either of our main characters, I can say that I was curious enough that I needed to know how their story would end. At first, I wasn’t sure how I felt about Garrett. He definitely had Day’s signature alpha-male persona down pat as he was doing his damnedest to make Teagan his and he had no problem taking the lead. But as the story went on, we got more bits and pieces of Garrett’s past and we also got to see a sweeter side to Garrett and he started to win me over a bit. Teagan was super guarded at the beginning of this story and she also struggles with depression and has moments where she can’t get out of bed or leave her house. But with Garrett’s help, we start to see her open up more and more with each new chapter and she starts lettings herself experience life and be happy again.

As I was nearing the end of this story, I was getting ready to write it off as being just another quick sexy romance, but then we get to the twist. Let me tell y’all, THE TWIST IS WHAT MAKES THIS STORY! When the plot twist was revealed, it was like the final piece in the puzzle was put in its place and everything started to make sense. Sylvia Day said in an interview that Butterfly in Frost is a story that is meant to be be read twice and she’s totally right because once I got to the plot twist, I just wanted to go back to the beginning and reread this story to see how I could’ve missed all these clues in the first place. The twist is definitely the saving grace for this story and I kind of wish the story didn’t wrap up as soon as the twist was reveal because I wanted a chapter or two more to just savor things a little bit.

Butterfly in Frost was a sexy read with an unexpected twist and I hope that this new release means that I won’t have to wait much longer for Day’s next book because I need more of her words now!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,161 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.