Start by marking “She-Merchants, Buccaneers and Gentlewomen: British women in India 1600 – 1900” as Want to Read:
She-Merchants, Buccaneers and Gentlewomen: British women in India 1600 – 1900

She-Merchants, Buccaneers and Gentlewomen: British women in India 1600 – 1900

Published May 31st 2019 by Virago

To ask other readers questions about She-Merchants, Buccaneers and Gentlewomen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She-Merchants, Buccaneers and Gentlewomen

Start your review of She-Merchants, Buccaneers and Gentlewomen: British women in India 1600 – 1900
Nijah Khan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Reading this book as a native of the subcontinent was equal parts fascinating and infuriating- whilst I felt sympathy for the British women who immigrated to India the book documents, I also felt appalled at the level of racism and superiority that was so casually assumed by these women. Though in places the writer Katie Hickman tries to counter such tendencies that emerge from the historical texts she relied on to write this account, at other times I felt she gave undue credit and importance to ...more
Val Bond
Very interesting book. The enjoyment was lessened for me as I read it on my Kindle, as it has a lot of footnotes and references it makes it a little difficult. However, if you are interested in history and India, and are able to read it in book form, I would recommend.
Molly
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a good, comprehensive history of British women in India. I saw some negative reviews that it didnt include Indian voices as much, and it doesnt, but that isnt what it set out to do. I think it is definitely skewed to favor the British a bit, which can be somewhat unsavory at times, but it was never too blatant. It was well-researched, but there were a fair amount of typos which doesnt really instill confidence. Overall, it was educational and I think it offers a good perspective on ...more
Lenore .
THE BUTTERFLI PINNERS
(for henrietta clive)

one must admire the precision of their craft.
how deliberately theyve caught
the chitin-winged state of being
and stoppered it in a brain-chamber
until it could be papered with such care
that even in a hundred years upon display the i-
spot still appears to twitch.

*note: the purpose of the eye-spot is to make the self seem greater to the spectator.

my poems: instagram | tumblr
At the beginning I was incredibly bored, to the point I almost just stopped reading. It did become more interesting and absorbing as I went on. Even then, it was hit-or-miss, and not all of the women's lives resonated with me. I also didn't feel like there was a satisfactory conclusion.
PJ Ebbrell
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book for both the beginnings and the end. The middle bit meandered but was interesting. I need to read more about the early period of EIC.
Marianna
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good research and a very readable text. It is a page-turner.
Amanda
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Covers three centuries of the lives of British women in India and how they got there. Accessible and well-researched. Disappointingly, fewer buccaneers than I would have liked.
Smita Yadav
Aug 01, 2019
Susie
Jul 28, 2019

• Wakenhyrst
  • Salt Lane (DS Alexandra Cupidi #1)
  • Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Lady in the Cellar: Murder, Scandal and Insanity in Victorian Bloomsbury
  • The Dean's Watch
  • Things in Jars
  • Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • Writing Self, Writing Empire: Chandar Bhan Brahman and the Cultural World of the Indo-Persian State Secretary
  • In the Mouth of the Wolf
  • Culture of Encounters: Sanskrit at the Mughal Court
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire
  • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
  • Sex and the Family in Colonial India: The Making of Empire
  • Mudlark: In Search of London's Past Along the River Thames
  • Uncrowned Queen: The Fateful Life of Margaret Beaufort, Tudor Matriarch
  • The New Cambridge History of India, Volume 4, Part 2: Women in Modern India
Katie Hickman was born into a diplomatic family in 1960 and has spent more than twenty-five years living abroad in Europe, the Far East and Latin America. She is featured in the Oxford University Press guide to women travellers, Wayward Women.