Start by marking “Love, Splat” as Want to Read:
Love, Splat

Love, Splat

(Splat the Cat #2)

It's Valentine's Day and Splat has a special valentine for a certain someone in his class. Her name is Kitten, and Splat likes her even more than fish sticks and ice cream. But Kitten doesn't seem to like him at all—she always ties his tail and pokes his belly when she sees him. And then there's Splat's rival, Spike, who also likes Kitten. Will Splat's heartfelt valentine ...more
Published November 25th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Love, Splat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Splat

Start your review of Love, Splat
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Splat has drawn homemade valentines for his class... but he especially wants to give a special valentine to a female cat in his class named Kitten. He's really nervous as she doesn't seem to like him much poking him in the belly and tying his tail in a knot. Will Splat give his valentine to Kitten?

This book seemed really mean to me at first. My eyes opened wider at some points where I wondered if this is even appropriate to teach
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius" for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

I absolutely adore Splat. If you haven't read SPLAT THE CAT, I highly recommend doing so, even though you don't have to do it before enjoying LOVE, SPLAT.

Splat is determined that today will be perfect. After all, it's Valentine's Day, and he's got a certain someone on his mind - a snowy white cat, with pea green eyes, named Kitten.

But when he runs into Kitten on the way to school (literally), he's too nervous to give her
Maggie Mattmiller
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This one has a bit of the, teasing/mean to someone whom you like. I'm sure I could get criticism for saying this of a picture book, but I really believe we need to get away from the habit of teaching/telling kids that we pick on those we like, as if that's ok. We shouldn't normalize or condone mean behavior, whether it's toward someone we dislike, someone we like, or someone we like like.
Kathryn
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Angie--thank you!
I truly enjoyed meeting Splat! The illustrations are adorable and quirky and cuddly and fun--and it features cats, so what's not to love!? The story is nice, too. I am not overly fond of Valentine's stories set in kiddie classrooms but managed to overcome my aversion and enjoy this one. It's pretty typical (boy likes girl, boy thinks girl hates him, but girl actually likes boy, rival boy appears, first boy gets scared, but true love wins in the end) but the illustrations make this version ...more
Lori
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of Splat, the Cat, mainly because Splat is a cat! In this one, Splat wants to give a Valentine to Kitten but is a little intimidated especially when another cat vows his love for Kitten too. It's a cute story! (3.5 stars)
Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Splat the Cat Fans
Oddly enough, given the fact that I was indifferent to Rob Scotton's first picture-book devoted to the adventures of Splat the Cat, I found Love, Splat quite endearing. Hoping to communicate his affections to Kitten, a "certain cat" with snowy white fur and pea-green eyes, Splat has created a special valentine. Will it win the mischievous minx over? Or will Splat's rival, Spike, win her paw?

Attentive readers will probably have guessed the ending ahead of time, given Kitten's penchant for poking
Feb 20, 2009 rated it liked it
The next time you're frantically looking for Valentine's Day Books, check out Love, Splat. First of all, there's the title. I mean really, who can resist the title? Secondly, it's this cute little story about a cat who feels like his valentine isn't good enough for the cute little cat he has his eye on-really-it's enough to make you vomit, but it is -word of the day-cute. The illustrations make all the "cuteness" bearable-and really-who doesn't enjoy a story about the underdog on Valentine's ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Splat the cat is back for another school-related story. It's Valentine's Day and he likes Kitten, a fluffy white cat with beautiful pea colored eyes, but she keeps poking him and tying his tail in a knot. To make matters worse another cat adores Kitten just as much as Splat.

I enjoy the round fluffy illustrations and warm colored illustrations, as well as, the meekness of Splat. Not cheesy like most Valentine's stories. Great book.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebook, fiction
While the story was a little inane, at least it had a decent moral, although I don't know if it's too mushy-gushy for kids or not. I like the fuzziness of the cats in the illustrations but found it weird that Splat is the only black cat in a white cat world. Perhaps I should have read the first Splat book first- maybe then it would make more sense.
Jenny
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, animals
I love the illustrations in the Splat books. He looks so soft, and he reminds me of my two little black cats.
Annette Taylor-james
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-reads
Good to read on Valentine's day it shows some range of emotions and attitude be ready to answers questions from inquisitive minds.
Jenny Hinojosa
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very cute. read it to the Toddlers at storytime.
Dorothea
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, valentines
Oh, I love the illustrations in the Splat books. They have so much personality. My 7 yo daughter loved the story line, too. I would add this one to my Valentine collection.
Laurie
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Erin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My daughter enjoys reading about Splat, but the two messages I took away from this story were terrible and prompted some good discussion about how we treat people - all people, but specifically those we love - and how "bigger" doesn't always mean "better."

Terrible Lesson #1: Abuse those you love!

Splat has a crush on Kitten, who isn't very nice to him. She pulls and pokes and generally tortures him, but it's OK because she likes him. It's her way of expressing affection. She justifies her
Ryan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This might be the only Splat book I don't love. Splat really like Kitten and wants to give her a valentine. But he is not sure. When ever he sees kitten she pulls his hears, pokes his belly, and tells him he smells. When I was growing up you were told that the boy picking on you, did it because they liked you. Well that was a few decades ago. And while in the end of this book you find out that Kitten was petting his fur, and like the sound Splat made when you touched his belly, I still think it ...more
Jennie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh dear. Kitten (a lady cat) regularly beats the shit out of Splat (a boy cat) because she likes him. Of course! Ughghghgh. I'm grateful it wasn't the other way around, but normalizing relationship violence is not cute or funny. Also there's a long sequence where the two male cats one up each other with displays of their love for Kitten - during this exchange neither bothers to ask Kitten what she thinks of all this "love." Stahhhhpp.

Also when I asked the kids why they thought Kitten didn't seem
Lara
I always love Splat's illustrations - he's so fuzzy!

With this one, there are some good and bad lessons/stereotypes in the story. On the positive, bigger isn't always better. Just because Splat's valentine wasn't the biggest, it didn't mean that his feelings were any less. On the downside, as many others have pointed out, Kitten isn't very nice to him - and it's because she likes him?! That old idea of teasing the one you like. C'mon, Kitten, use your words!

For a storytime, this could be a good
Sheri Howard
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, kiddoes
Received this as a Valentines Day present a few years ago and just read it again. It's four-star adorable, but I decided to add an extra star in a meager attempt to balance out the absurd one- and two-star alt-left reviews. (Or maybe alt-right? It's hard to be sure...not easy to tell the whiny-ass babies apart anymore. It all starts sounding like waa waa waa...! to me.)
Julian
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: niños
Come on, Splat! If she's mean to you, it's not because she likes you, it's because she's mean. Imagine her behavior if she didn't like you! Stay away from her and find a kitty that will be nice to you, just like you are with everyone.

The message was terrible, but in that way it led to a productive discussion with my 6yo.
Jenn Swanson
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, quickie, fiction
This was an adorable book that I read to my daughter before pre-school while we were waiting for the doors to open. She loved this book and kept her occupied. The illustrations were adorable too. Would recommend.
Viviane Elbee
Fun book for Splat the Cat fans.

He loves Kitten, but will he be able to work up the courage to give her the card he made for her?
A.E. Fuhrman
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a warm and fuzzy feelings book. It is adorable, albeit predictable. The illustrations are fun and endearing. A great Valentine's read for preK-2nd grade.
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really fun read, Splat has us giggling the whole way through!
Esther
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cute
Anthony
Splat is crushing on Kitten, but so is Spike, and it's Valentine's Day, and Splat has a special valentine for a special someone, but so does Spike - What will happen next, and who will Kitten choose?
Amanda
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Splat the cat wants to give Kitten a very special Valentine! A very sweet book about sharing a Valentine card with a friend!
Bari
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This a good choice for Valentine's Day read aloud. I love all the books in the SPLAT the Cat series.

Always a good choice.
Molly Ritterbeck
Splat books are by far my favorite. They are funny, they are cute, and my kids love them. He is a great character and always has a great book. This is no exception!
Jeannine
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute Valentine story. Loved the illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Pete the Cat: Valentine's Day Is Cool
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
  • Small Saul
  • Pete the Cat: Construction Destruction
  • The Most Magnificent Thing
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • I Hear a Pickle: and Smell, See, Touch, & Taste It, Too!
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • Pete the Cat's Groovy Guide to Love
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • A Bad Kitty Christmas: Includes Three Ready-to-Hang Ornaments!
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
  • Pete the Cat: The Wheels on the Bus
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now ...more

Splat the Cat (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Splat the Cat
  • Merry Christmas, Splat
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Splat the Cat: Where's the Easter Bunny? (Splat the Cat)
  • Back to School, Splat!