Start by marking “Oh, Henry (Henry Houdini Dog Detective #1)” as Want to Read:
Oh, Henry (Henry Houdini Dog Detective #1)

Oh, Henry (Henry Houdini Dog Detective #1)

Henry, a talking Jack Russell, is part of a small team researching a cure for Multiple Sclerosis. He is the target of several dognappers but can he use his wit or guile to outwit them and, with the help of laboratory assistant Gwynne, find the proof needed to convict the criminals. Thus begins a series of adventures for the unlikely pair. There have been amateur sleuths, ...more
Published April 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Oh, Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, Henry

Start your review of Oh, Henry (Henry Houdini Dog Detective #1)
Shalini
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Henry, a Jack Russell, was the part of a research team trying to find a cure for MS. The drug injected in him caused a miracle of sorts. HE COULD TALK. Gywnnie Davies and Dr Moss were overjoyed, the first talking dog in this world. Then Henry got kidnapped...err...dognapped!

My first book by author Morgen Bailey, this was one heck of an adventure. Henry was simply the cutest. I loved the way the author had characterized him, giving him intelligence and mannerisms of a human. His life away from
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Oh, Henry is the first book and great start to the Henry Houdini Do Detective Series.

We first meet Henry when he is living in a cage in a lab. Even though he is well looked after, being fed, watered and walked, I did feel sorry for him being cooped up inside the majority of the time. Gwynne who looks after him, as well as making observations, does a good job in taking care of him and you can see a certain bond growing between the two as they spend so much time together.

Henry is obviously not
Mark Tilbury
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Henry is a Jack Russell who is helping a team of scientists, and having a few injections of something, he is able to talk. This is an entertaining light-hearted read. Henry is a clever dog with a great sense of humour. Anyone who has ever owned a dog will wonder what their pet would say if they had the ability to talk.

I enjoyed the story but felt as though the investigation Henry helps with seemed a little rushed, and in certain parts of dialogue in the lab (Greek myths,) the pace of the story
Krystyna
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful but not a cozy you might expect

What a wonderful read. Okay it is a mystery of sorts - who dognapped Henry - but it is a so much more. A great read for most ages (okay some swearing but mostly very low key) and with wonderful warm, captivating characters. From the 'baddies' who really aren't too bright to Henry himself. A Jack Russell with impeccable manners, hyperthymesia and who by virtue of drugs administered at the lab where he is kept - can Talk. However the story ends with the
Amanda
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the synopsis for ‘Oh, Henry’ and I just knew that this was the book for me. I have two gorgeous but loopy Labradors and I often imagine what they would say if they were able to talk. My elder Labrador has such an expressive face and you can tell what she is thinking. Anyway, I hope you can appreciate why this book screamed or should that be woofed ‘Read me’ at me. I hope that makes sense? Anyway I couldn’t wait to dive in and start reading. I opened the book not really knowing what to ...more
B.R. Maycock
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is indeed for the young in all of us! This is the story of Henry, a Jack Russell who has spent his 19 months to date as a happy enough participant in a laboratory. As a result of the experiment, Henry can speak and is navigating a human's world; trying to figure out what people mean by certain sayings, sarcasm etc.

So from the start the book kind of reminded me of my favourite character-Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, with his witticisms and attempts at humour. I also felt like saying (in the
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
One of the reasons that Morgen Bailey is one of my favourite authors is because you never know what you're going to discover in the pages of her novels. Her writer's voice is so quirky and is never to be predicted. I can honestly say she can turn her hand to a variety of genres and never looses that magic touch.

Oh Henry is just another fabulous example of this talent. Henry is a 19 month old Jack Russell who lives in a lab and is part of researching MS with Dr Moss and his assistant Gwynne. One
Misfits farm
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Henri is a dog- a Jack Russell who lives in a lab. He has developed the ability to talk as a side effect of a medication he was given. He has learnt English from watching TV. Gwynne looks after him and he is almost never on his own. He is walked within the grounds but longs to go to the outside world in order to learn more.. Oh and to eat alligator steak. One night the lab is broken into and Henri fools the burglars into thinking his voice is CGI and gets some information from them. When he is ...more
Alex  Jones
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Sarah at Book on the Brightside Tours and Morgen Bailey for my copy of the absolutely charming, Oh Henry! The first in the Henry Houdini series.

Henry as you may have guessed, is a Jack Russell , Who after being tested as a lab animal gains the ability to talk, and not just talk, he’s really rather clever and quick-witted with it to.

Burglary, dim-witted dognappers, and also at times quite emotional, especially when Harry, sorry Henry met Sally, and a clever mystery all make for an
Els
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a huge doglover so needless to say that this book was something that I was really looking forward to.

Henry is a very clever dog. He knows a lot but he struggles with proverbs. He takes them literally and that’s what creates some funny situations.

But there is also a crime involved and the culprits have to be brought to justice. That’s something that was tailor-made for Henry and his partner.

Maybe their modus operandi is not really playing by the rules, but it’s the result that counts, right?
Caroline Venables
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that will appeal to all age ranges. A talking dog story may be thought of as a child’s book, but this book works well on all levels.
I was looking forward to reading more of Morgen’s work after reviewing other titles of hers, The Fifty 5pm Fictions Collection and A Story A Day May Collection.
This book follows Henry, a Jack Russell who finds himself in a research laboratory as part of a project. Apart from being alone at night, he likes his surroundings and likes being
Brad
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slow Start with a Great Finish

The story is a lot of dialogue narrated by the Henry, our four-footed protagonist. The dialogue makes sense since Henry is all talking dog.

The story riffs on the English language, cultural references (Henry learned a lot from TV), and human folly. The beginning is a bit slow as we learn about Henry’s background, how he came to talk, and Gwynne (his primary interface with the world).

It picks up the pace when Henry gets dog-napped. Without spoiling the story, this
William Bentrim
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

A woman and a talking dog walked into a bar… Nope but there is a talking dog and a woman. The plot centers on Henry, a talking dog. Gwynne his keeper and best friend and Dr. Moss are responsible for Henry and his talking.

The interplay between Henry and various humans is the main focus of the story. The interplay and Henry’s thoughts and responses are quite humorous. Bailey does a nice job presenting the world from a dog’s point of view.

Gwynne and Henry team up as detectives and that teaming
Kathy Foens
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly Delightful

I wasn't sure if I would like this e-book, since I don't read a lot of mysteries but tired it anyway. Loved the premise of a talking dog in a lab. Won't spoil it with any of details. Just wonderful.
Rose English
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Book 84 of my Goodreads Challenge 2019

I thought I would really love this book but at the time I started it the book just did not keep my attention will return to it later.
Linda Collister
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dog napped

Henry was a rescue dog, experimented on so now he can talk. Read about his adventures with Gwynne as they track down the dog nappers and solve the case.
Sean Talbot
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely not what I expected. It was strange which of course I always like. Strange person that I am.

This book has some science fiction and fantasy elements as simple dogs don't talk. I do love the premise of this book and saw a lot of great potential in this type of book.

The only thing I would change was the dog breed as not fond of jack russels. I would have loved to see more of this including more novels with this style.

The author is so strong in her writing and can write so
Joyce Nelson
Dec 24, 2019
Dan
Apr 28, 2019
Morgen Bailey
Jul 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Rich
Aug 06, 2019

• The Grave Digger's Boy
  • The Bistro by Watersmeet Bridge
  • Heathcliff: The Unanswered Questions Finally Answered?
  • No-one Ever Has Sex on Holiday
  • Hunter's Force (The Edinburgh Crime Mysteries #3)
  • The Empty Nest
  • The Other Daughter
  • Left For Dead (Morecambe Bay Trilogy #1)
  • The Wish List of Albie Young
  • The Fifth Grave (DCI Jacob Mysteries #1)
  • Justice Gone
  • The Last Stage
  • Moonshine & Murder (Moonshine Hollow #1)
  • Where the Snow Bleeds (Dean Matheson #2)
  • The Dog That Couldn't Come Home (Dogs Around the Dragon Book 1)
  • The Upper Hand: A Chilling British Crime Thriller (A DC O'Connell Crime Thriller, #1)
  • The Art of Sherlock Holmes: West Palm Beach - Standard Edition
  • Daisy and Bernard (A Blind Sleuth Mystery #2)
Morgen Bailey – Morgen with an E – is a freelance editor, writing tutor (in person and online), blogger (helping other authors, sharing tips etc.), Writers’ Forum magazine ‘Competitive Edge’ columnist, speaker, author of several novels (at various stages), 400+ short stories, a series of writer’s block workbooks, an editing guide, articles, and has dabbled with poetry. She is an avid supporter of ...more