Start by marking “The Bootlace Magician (Circus Mirandus, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Bootlace Magician (Circus Mirandus, #2)

The Bootlace Magician

(Circus Mirandus #2)

Fans of Cassie Beasley's New York Times best-selling novel Circus Mirandus will finally get to return to the circus in this magical, long-awaited sequel.

Micah Tuttle--magician in training--lives and works at Circus Mirandus alongside his guardian, the ancient and powerful Lightbender.

The circus is a place filled with dazzling fire shows, stubborn unicorns, and magicians
Published October 1st 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bootlace Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bootlace Magician

Start your review of The Bootlace Magician (Circus Mirandus, #2)
Cassie Beasley
Oct 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the sequel to Circus Mirandus. I wrote it. I really love it. It's the book of mine that best matches my readerly tastes, so I hope you don't mind if I tell you my three favorite things about it? After I'm through, I promise to disappear into the night and make more stories.

Spoiler tagged just in case you don't want to hear from the author!

(view spoiler)
Alex  Baugh
As we learned in the first book, once you have visited Circus Mirandus, you usually can't return. That's the rule. Mostly. But some lucky people do get to return, and for us, the lucky ones, the cost of the ticket is reading the book...oh, yes, and believing in magic.

Micah Tuttle, 11, returned and has been traveling with the Circus Mirandus for several months now, and living with his guardian, the Lightbender. Basically happy, living a peaceful life with the circus, Micah is still painfully
Eileen
I absolutely loved this follow-up to Circus Mirandus as Micah settles into circus life and tries to learn more about how his magic of tying knots can be of any use to anyone. You learn more about his friends in the circus and are introduced to new characters (including the Strongwomen, who are awesome). While I could have been happy with the first book as a standalone, I loved this follow-up as it addressed many things left open-ended in the first, including more about his grandmother. I really ...more
Jane Potter
Thank you to Cassie Beasley for the ARC copy of the novel in exchange for a review.

Loved this books start to finish. Full review on my blog here: https://greenishbookshelf.com/2019/10...

A few highlights:
*Micah’s journey towards understanding his magic and finding his place in the circus is a compelling center to this story.
*One of the most intriguing characters in this novel is Fish.
*Overall, the characters in this novel are dynamic and intriguing; it’s especially fun to get to know many
Darla
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A worthy successor to "The Circus Mirandus." This magical, symmetrical sequel will most certainly satisfy all the fans who have been waiting to see more about Micah and the fantastic circus he became a part of at the end of the first book. Young Harry Potter fans will appreciate the variety of talents behind all of the principal magicians in the circus. They will also love having a front row seat as Micah discovers just what he can do with the knot-tying skills passed down to him by Grandpa ...more
Bonnie Grover
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: student, fantasy
WOW! I didn’t think I could love a book more than I loved Circus Mirandus, but this book is a beautiful, magical story. My quotes are from an uncorrected text. “Sometimes difficult, painful things happen and there is no satisfying explanation for us.” Throughout this story we get to watch Micah a -magician in training- untangle his own potent magic. As an enemy from his past is threatening the Circus, his home. “When something big needed doing, you had to try and get ready for it. “ I loved the ...more
Melanie
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a delightful, magical story. So many good takeaways for young readers about the meaning of family and what really constitutes magic. I love the main characters and I love the set up for the next book. I haven’t read Circus Mirandus, which may be why this was only three stars for me, but I enjoyed it and certainly recommend it.
Loni
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this up randomly at the library, not knowing beforehand that it was a sequel until after I had started reading. So knowing later that it was a sequel I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it and how it felt complete as a novel by itself. Maybe I'll go back and read the first. Lol.

I was a little concerned at first. The prologue almost stopped me from reading the novel. It was so cheesy and I hated how all of these words with emphasis were capitalized, like "Moment" and "Idea".
Joan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Micah Tuttle lives with his guardian, Lightbender, at Circus Mirandus. He believes that knot-tying is his magic, but when a horrific danger threatens the existence of the Circus itself, he may learn something unexpected about himself and his Circus Mirandus family.

Picking up where Circus Mirandus ended, this second story in the series revolves around Micah’s efforts to identify his magic and to prove he belongs with the Circus. All the familiar characters, along with some new ones, are in place
Lenoire
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Magician in training, Micah Tuttle is still learning the ropes while he is living and working at the Circus Mirandus. The circus is filled with magical acts like fire and light shows, strong men performing amazing feats, magical animals, and magicians from every corner of the world. Micah feels like he needs to prove he belongs here.

Everything seems to be going well when a dangerous enemy from the past is threatening the circus. Micah has to work to figure out his own magic while trying to help
Katie Seehusen
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, middle-grade
Kelly Meenaghan
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Abby
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is definitely my favorite book of the year! I accidentally started this one before I knew it was the 2nd in the set, but the 1st story was so strategically placed within that I knew what was going on the whole time. Micah was one of the characters that will stay with me for a long time. I loved the story, the characters, everything about the ending, and the performer of the audiobook. The friendship and love were palpable through this book. This is my forst book by this author, but I will ...more
Emily Wallace
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow. Another exciting Circus Mirandus book! I loved the first book. I was nervous about a follow up and I shouldn't have been. This book is very good! I think the author did a great job continuing the story of Micah and his magic. My only issue with the book was the audience.... I think only 4-6 graders would read this book. It would be a great series to start building reading stamina.

FYI: I met the author at AASL in Louisville and she was delightful! She was giving away and signing copies of
Engel Dreizehn
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not know there was going to be a sequel! It was awesome and nice to see the inner workings of the circus which follows like dream, especially in regards to different magicians of their abilities. It was also interesting to see how magic could be used whether its for good or bad. All the magicians have great abilities on an equal level but its their character and ethics that makes the magician themselves good or bad.
Shendel Haimes
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My name is Shendel aka Mrsreadforfun. I create 1 minute cliff hanger reviews on my Youtube channel of outstanding children's books. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEDi...
This is a sequel to Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley. I thought this fantasy book was exciting, dangerous and heartwarming. I particularly liked Micah the Magician in training, Terpsichore the defiant Unicorn and the Lightbender who creates illusions.
Debbie Tanner
This is a completely fitting sequel to one of my favorite books, ever. The story picks up where Circus Mirandus left off-Micah is living in the Circus Mirandus with his guardian, the Lightbender, practicing his magic, which is knot tying. This is a completely amazing adventure with themes of love, loyalty, and figuring out your own identity. I LOVED this one.
Alicia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I thought it was so fun to learn about the different magicians’ magical specialities. The author tied pieces of the story together in beautiful ways.

My two favorite quotes were:
“When evil asks us to bow before it, it is our job to stand taller.”

“Putting something beautiful and good into the world always [matters].”

Can’t wait to have it on my own bookshelf!
Megan Mann
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god. I loved this so much. It’s about magic and love and family and how you have to find the magic within yourself instead of hoping to be like others. There’s a unicorn and a dragon and a vengeful bird lady. I mean, what’s not intriguing here?

Absolutely incredible sequel to Circus Mirandus. Cried through the last twenty pages. I want more!
Lauren Watts
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, truly magical children’s book. Micah was a well-developed character who grew immensely throughout the book. Can’t wait to meet the author this weekend :) Thank you to my friend Kelly for the recommendation!
Traci
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Micah and his new circus family must face Victoria Starling, her flock of magical birds, and an even bigger foe in this follow up to Circus Mirandus. In this book the reader gets to know the Lightbender and his fellow magicians better.
Deborah Likens
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cassie has done it again! Though this was written for YA, as was Circus Mirandus, I found it to be a real pleasure to read. So fun to visit the Circus again!
Wendy MacKnight
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Oh Cassie Beasley, I love you, Micah, Lightbender, Chintzy, and everyone else at circus Mirandus, even Geoffrey. This book is a thriller, but it’s also about family. And it is wonderful!
Bridget Neace
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
SOLID 4-star rating. This sequel did not disappoint and I'm grateful to Cassie Beasley for this world, these characters, and their adventures.
Brooke Dilling
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this aloud to the kids. Cassie Beasley has done it again. I really hope there will be a third book to reunite us with Circus Mirandus, Micah, and Jenny.
Carolyn
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who have read and enjoyed the first book.
An amazing book, and a worthy successor to the fantastic first book.
Gina
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story and lessons.
Stefanie Moser
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Micah's story keeps me wanting to visit Circus Mirandus and keep my ear free to find that music.
Abby
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is pretty much everything I want in a book. Cassie Beasley continues to deliver.
Megan Truax
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Every bit as good as I’d hoped it would be. I really hope we get to read more about Circus Mirandus in the future!!

• Some Places More Than Others
  • All the Impossible Things
  • Allies
  • Words on Fire
  • Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • Stargazing
  • White Bird
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
  • The Scarecrow
  • Roll with It
  • Guts
Author of Circus Mirandus, Tumble & Blue, and The Bootlace Magician .

Hi there! And thanks for reading!

Exciting news:

The Bootlace Magician is coming on October 1! I'm so, so, so happy about this story. It's the sequel to Circus Mirandus, and I feel like this one is for readers who finished that book and thought, "Okay, I'm ready for more of the circus, more of Micah learning about his talent,

Circus Mirandus (2 books)
  • Circus Mirandus