Start by marking “Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)” as Want to Read:
Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)

Misfit Mage

(Fledgling God #1)

He went searching for a fresh start. He didn’t expect to find unusual friends, fierce enemies, and primal powers.

Jason thought that it was the end of his life after being attacked and hunted by a band of ruthless thugs. Instead, he tapped into the source of creation and emerged from his Death Experience with magical powers.

Rescued by a mountain troll and a battle mage,
Published April 26th 2019

Win a Copy of This Book

• Misfit Mage by Michael    Taggart
    Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
    Release date: Apr 26, 2019

Jason thought that it was

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 329 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 08 - Nov 20, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Misfit Mage, please sign up.
    Agnese Šteinberga Not really. The focus is on the MC's character development. There is a hope for it in the next books, but quite slight.

Start your review of Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
    Duncan Husky
    Rating: 3.4 out of 5

I wanted to like this book so much! I am a complete sucker for the Undiscovered Hero trope (aka "Yer a wizard, Harry!") and that's definitely in play here. The world it is set in is interesting, the characters engaging and funny, and the plot is a fun one. So why didn't it wow me?

The problem here is entirely in the writing. The author spends way, way too much time telling, not showing. As an example: early on, the main character is injured and must spe
    Wende
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wonderful

This is a new author for me and I loved this book. I read it in one setting and enjoyed it so much. My only gripe is the next book is not out yet. I hate waiting. I also returned it and then bought it. I am not giving up this book. It is mine!
    Tamara
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
    A decent beginning of the series. The writing style wasn’t consistent but I liked the characters & it has potential.
    Carolyn Elias
    Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Solid fantasy world, MC and other characters are well rounded personalities!

I first picked this up under KU but after reading this story I had to purchase the book. If you’re looking for hot sex and a quick story you’ll be disappointed. If you’re looking for characters and a storyline that will keep you glued to a book you’re in the right place. Jason, the MC, is neither weak nor extraordinarily strong physically but he is a person who has learned to survive despite being tossed on his own at a young
    Christopher Snyder
    Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This was Fantastic!

This book checked all my happy boxes. Urban fantasy? Check! Complex gay protagonist? Check! Smart, funny and creative plot with a new take on the genre? Check! Warm and fuzzy moments that just make you smile? Check!
    I can't wait to find out what happens next in this series. I hope the author's creative juices are flowing freely, and we won't have to wait for long.
    Lyndsey
    Ok readers... I really enjoyed 95% of this book. My issue.... while the world building was really cool, there were parts that seemed like lecturing vs. story-telling. And because I love me some smexy times, I was really sad there wasn't much from the romance front. I hope the incubus can pull his weight next time.

By the way, this story is by a new author and I hope he continues writing because I would love to see more of this world. Please, please, please don't take three years. I re
    shannon sand
    Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great start!!

So this book was so so good. I can’t wait to see how Jason grows over time. He’s got such an interesting perspective I really like it. I will say it’s a bit of a slow burn though, so there are parts which seem kind of slow. That being said the overall story and the characters all make up for any minor slow sections. I would really like to see this turned into an audiobook though. I think that would be amazing.
    Cindy
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Urban Fantasy at it's finest

A hugely entertaining read! So good I read it in a day. With a remarkable different take on mage magic, it didn't just redefine urban fantasy, it blew it out into orbit.
    I loved the snarky dialogue and the theme of found family (as opposed to your given family) and that life is what you make of it. Lemons/lemonade
    Tremendous world building and character development, a must read for all scifi/fantasy lovers. Free on KU, take a chance, you won't be sorry!
    Dear Mic
    Ivan A Sumblingo
    Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I Love This Book!!!

I'm always on a lookout for a gay fantasy/supernatural genre and was glad to find this.

There is no doubt as to who my favorite character of this book: Bermuda Moses of course! There are things that always catch my eye when I read a book. Very cute animals and children are my weaknesses, plus add a very exciting MC(s).

I do love our MC, Jason and the fact that he is gay was a big bonus! I love how the author centered on his character development as a pe
    Drianne
    Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: sf, m-m
    [I've tagged this m/m, but it's more queer sf than romance at all.]

I liked this much more than I expected to! The narrative voice put me off a little, but it hit its stride more after a few chapters (and the book is quite long, so that helped). I thought the world building was interesting--I've never read before about magic that works by the user imagining little cartoon characters who go off and do whatever he needs; it was really charming. The action is unrelenting (not my favorite
    Alec
    Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Refreshingly Good Read

No spoilers from me. This is a well written novel. It has a system of magic, there’s humor, there’s action. It satisfies me greatly to of read it in one day and know there’s more to follow.

I also am grateful for the ending of novel having a section dedicated to thanking readers, giving colored photos of authors pets, art and partner. Very nice personal touch. Makes you recognize an author is an actual person and relatable.

I recommend reading this if you’re into Urban
    PaperMoon
    Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I might have been sucked in by the 5 star reviews and the cover art - but this didn't really cut it for me as an urban fantasy. The VAST amount of word space spent in delineating / explaining how magical power works by allegorical comparison with science and nature did not draw me into the plot. The action fight sequences with baddies were good but then the momentum drops as the MC kept getting seriously injured and had to painfully recover from drastic wounds. As I was fast-forwarding entire se ...more
    Susan Reeves
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Totally new concept

I liked this book very much. It is a totally new take on the magical and supernatural world. Quite different than anything I have read before. There is drama and suspense and violence but also a lot of humor and fun. The characters are strong. It does have a bit of a cliff hanger at the end. Just makes you anxious for the next book in the series. I thought it was very creative and clever and would recommend it to any one not afraid to think outside the box.
    Susanne Hillebrand
    Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Fresh new take

Loved this book. Fresh new take on wielding magic, imagination and creativity in line with current popular culture. Really fun, I could really picture all the little ‘minions’. Toss in suspense, friends, magic, villains, personal growth and best of all CATS, and you got me hooked. Cannot wait for the next book
    William Phillippe II
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Awesome book!

Really enjoy the mix of characters. The mc goes through a a great mix of action and self discovery. This hooked me quick and I didn't get bored. There was lots of funny mix with just enough sad and suspense. Really great read will be looking forward to the next book.
    Steven R. Little
    Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I urge you to read

With so many books coming out about adapting to magic this or magic that it was a pleasure to see such an interesting a new take both on magic and the construction of the universe. I am eagerly awaiting the continuation of this adventure and I enjoy the very natural inclusivity of the characters
    Dawn
    Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A great story with characters you won't forget and incredible world building. I found it hard to put this story down. I really loved all the characters in this book. The author has a way of making each of them lovable and memorable. If you love humor, magic, and a walk on the dark side then check this book out!
    Tony Williamson,jr.
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was epic!

I laughed at so much I had to pre almost as much as Jason. But, there is also so much action with all the goodies for us supernatural lovers. I will be waiting impatiently for book 2
    Marcia
    Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Yes please, may I have some more!!

I am not normally one to leave a review on my impressions of the books I read. That being said this novel was amazing and truly left me begging to know what happens next.

The cast of characters are engaging and I for one am totally invested in their future adventures
    Krista Ivy
    Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: books-owned, kindle
    Amazing

This book gave me so much more than I could have anticipated. The magic usage is creative. The characters are distinct. It manages to be a beautiful wrapping of intensity and comedy that keeps the reader utterly engaged.
    Victoria Taylor
    Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Loved it!

New author to me. You really felt like you were on the journey with Jason in this book (just like Penny). Loved his found family and his new fledgling romance. Really looking forward to the next one!
    Gary Lamphear
    Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great read!

I started out slowly not being sure what I was getting into but after a chapter I was hooked and finished it in a day ( a day that ended at 3 in the morning!) Love big, strong men do John was my favorite character. Looking forward to following Jason on more magical adventures.
    Patrice
    Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Loved this!

This took me by surprise. I was looking for light, and I got that, and so much more. I cannot wait for the next book. Jason is lovable, clueless, but so smart. The others in the House are just as wonderful. Magic, humor, battles and belly rubs!
    Lisa
    May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Magical adventure!

I loved this story. Fantasy and magic are my favorite and good reads are hard to find. This had a fantastic mix of humor, adventure, mystery, and love of all kinds. I can’t wait to read the next one.
    Nicole Laudenslager
    Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Curious on where this goes

New authors are tough...the time, the commitment. Hoping they don’t leave a cliff hanger! Well yes, the author did but what an interesting story. The good guys have hurts,enough to give them the excuse to be jerks. The fact they aren’t and the charm they are written with is refreshing. This isn’t your typical HEA romance, our guys have...layers. So I’ll keep a eye out for the sequel.
    Denise White
    Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Loved it!!

I loved this book... I loved all the characters!! I loved Jason's journey and how it was told... I can't wait for the next adventure!!
    PurpleBunny♡
    Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Must read! Hilarious, imaginative - couldn't put the book down.

Purple farts? Mountain Troll, Mage and a Granny; what do they all in common? Magic, of course!
    Love all the characters, the good and the bad ones. Fell in love with the imagery of the internal healing process.
    Read the book, you'll know what I mean!!!!!
    Thank you Michael for your encouragement to submit a review, and offering an example.
    And thank you for your photoshop pics. They are stunning 😊
    suzanne reed
    May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I loved this book!

I can't wait for the next book. I loved all the characters and not sure if I could pick a favorite one. I liked this book so much I read it in a day.
    Joscelyn Smith
    Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A great series starter

I knew that I was going to enjoy this when the very first paragraph had me laughing out loud and was right. This was a fun, funny read with an amazing cast of characters and I can't wait to see what happens next.
    Mary McGraff
    May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great story!

What's not to like? It is set in my hometown of Louisville, KY. Love the characters and definitely will read the next book.
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    My first career was a gunslinger.
    At 10 years old I learned everything I needed to know from Louis L'Amour and after rigorous practice in front of my bedroom mirror, I was ready to take on the bad guys. Later, I became a spy after reading some Tom Clancy - and infiltrated the kitchen and the living room and learned all the secrets available from living in a small trailer.
    I finally found my true c
    “Sprinting while naked is not an easy thing. I’ve seen streakers before, and while I’ve admired their desire for mischief, I’ve never thought of it as a painful undertaking. I was running for my life down the hall, and despite the motivation to maintain top speed, Captain Winky and his two first mates were voicing a loud, painful protest of their mistreatment” 3 likes