Start by marking “Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)” as Want to Read:
Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)

Misfit Mage

(Fledgling God #1)

He went searching for a fresh start. He didn’t expect to find unusual friends, fierce enemies, and primal powers.

Jason thought that it was the end of his life after being hunted and attacked by a band of ruthless thugs. Instead, he tapped into the source of creation and emerged from his Death Experience with magical powers.

As a new mage, Jason finds himself part of a wonde
Published April 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Misfit Mage, please sign up.
Michael Taggart Hi Joshua,Thank you for your email!
Hi Joshua,Thank you for your email!
I am very happy to report that book 2 is finally off and running!  I ran into a few things I wasn't expecting after finishing book one.
1 - There was still so much to do!  I still needed a mailing list, website (which is in terrible shape and needs moving to a different platform), Print version (finally out), Audio version (being worked on right now)2 - I got caught up in all the flurry and drama that happens after the book comes out. I obsessed with sales, amazon advertising, reviews, changed the cover, rewrote the synopsis, good reads, etc.  I was finally able to just let it all go - thank goodness! I hope to never get caught up in all that again. At least, not to the that degree.3 - Book 2 was good, but missing something. I put together the outline for what I wanted for book 2. It had all the right flow to it, but I just wasn't loving it. It didn't have the same flair as book 1. I started and stopped a few times. Then, I had my AH Ha! moment.  Now it sings to me. It's going to be great and I can't wait to get it finished!4 - Editing. When I finished with book 1 - I got on Reedsy, found an editor, and did 2 pass with the book. That took about 4 months (she edited it, send it to me, I approved/modified, sent it back, she did a 2nd pass for detail, sent it to me.) It seemed like such a long process. I then published the book, but people were still saying they saw problems.  So I got another editor, sent it to her, 6 weeks later got the changes, approved them, published the new error free book!  Except people were saying there was still problems - so I hired me 3rd editor and went through the whole process again. For book 2, I didn't want to wait for all that.  So, what I'm doing now, is writing the book in google docs, then sharing each chapter with two wonderful ladies and they are doing two passes each to fix any errors.  When I'm doing writing, I'll already have a mostly edited copy ready to go. Then I'll put everything together in one document, do a final pass, and then release it into the world.
I'm sure that is more than you ever wanted to know!  LOL.  Anyway, I'm currently at 46,389 words.  Book 1 was around 130K and this one will be about the same size.  (less)
Agnese Šteinberga Not really. The focus is on the MC's character development. There is a hope for it in the next books, but quite slight.

Start your review of Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
☆ Todd
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it

Me:
Oh, wow! I loved the premise and in-depth world building in this story, with its unique take on contemporary magical fantasy.

Also me:
*GAH!* OMMF GOD. Please, make it stop!

Spheres and matrixes and magical healing dust-bunnies.

Yes, you're giving me detail, but fuuuuuuck. This is *all* the detail, page after page after page after page after page after page, and I'm losing my will to fucking live!

Bottom line, there was a LOT to like in this story; however, a good editor could've lopped AT L
Duncan Husky
Rating: 3.4 out of 5

I wanted to like this book so much! I am a complete sucker for the Undiscovered Hero trope (aka "Yer a wizard, Harry!") and that's definitely in play here. The world it is set in is interesting, the characters engaging and funny, and the plot is a fun one. So why didn't it wow me?

The problem here is entirely in the writing. The author spends way, way too much time telling, not showing. As an example: early on, the main character is injured and must spend an extended time reco
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
Intriguing!

This is a really intriguing look at magic. Very descriptive and easily understandable.

I’d like some more world building & maybe some history but I loved all the characters & looking forward to more in the series.

Needs a bit of heat & sizzle though...
Wende
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

This is a new author for me and I loved this book. I read it in one setting and enjoyed it so much. My only gripe is the next book is not out yet. I hate waiting. I also returned it and then bought it. I am not giving up this book. It is mine!
Tamara
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent beginning of the series. The writing style wasn’t consistent but I liked the characters & it has potential. ...more
Katie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just wow!!

That was... AMAZING!!!!! So, I usually only read romance books, but this one looked really interesting and I like a good book about magic! This one kept me up until 3am reading! I LOVED the incredible detail about Jason's magic and how he used it. It was so unique and I just couldn't stop reading!! I enjoyed the dynamics between Jason and his housemates and I can't wait to read the next book!
Joscelyn Smith
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great series starter

I knew that I was going to enjoy this when the very first paragraph had me laughing out loud and was right. This was a fun, funny read with an amazing cast of characters and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Natalie panda eyes
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-recs
It was different and I liked it. Wasn’t sure what to expect. I saw the title, the series name and then skimmed through to see troll and incubus. That was enough. The first few lines I thought it was a comedy but bloody hell are there rough parts. It was enjoyable had witty moments and plenty of violence.

I liked all the characters and what they mean to one another. The magic style is different, a little complex at points but I liked the imagination thing. The explanations did feel a little dragge
Christopher Snyder
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was Fantastic!

This book checked all my happy boxes. Urban fantasy? Check! Complex gay protagonist? Check! Smart, funny and creative plot with a new take on the genre? Check! Warm and fuzzy moments that just make you smile? Check!
I can't wait to find out what happens next in this series. I hope the author's creative juices are flowing freely, and we won't have to wait for long.
Lav123
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magical-ability, m-m
This book is awesome. I always feel short-changed when I read a book about magic but there is no explanation of the wonders that magic can do. This book does that in spades. I love the main character. The magic is fabulous! The plot is fast and exciting. It's just perfect and I cannot wait for the next book.
Karen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!OMG!!!OMG!!!......I loved this book. I was just sucked right in and it was hard to put this book down. I picked up this book through Kindle Unlimited but loved it so much that before I was even half finished I purchased a copy so I will always have it. I will be reading this one again. It was so funny. Well written with kick ass characters. I am going to be dying waiting until the next book comes out. Awesome. Mr. Taggart is going on my must have favorite author list. Sept 2019.....Second ...more
Carolyn Elias
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Solid fantasy world, MC and other characters are well rounded personalities!

I first picked this up under KU but after reading this story I had to purchase the book. If you’re looking for hot sex and a quick story you’ll be disappointed. If you’re looking for characters and a storyline that will keep you glued to a book you’re in the right place. Jason, the MC, is neither weak nor extraordinarily strong physically but he is a person who has learned to survive despite being tossed on his own at a
James J. Nugent, Jr.
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this amazing book down!
The first person format allowed me, a stage actor, to BE Jason.
In fact, I saw, felt, experienced every situation, every emotion, every character hed.
The "he said" and "she said" disappeared and I was them.
I heard their distinct and individual "voices" in my head and I "lived" this book
I especially loved Jason's scenes of rebuilding his body.
Thank you, Michael. I eagerly await Book 2.
May you and yours stay safe and be well.
Jim Nugent, a NYC actor living
shannon sand
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start!!

So this book was so so good. I can’t wait to see how Jason grows over time. He’s got such an interesting perspective I really like it. I will say it’s a bit of a slow burn though, so there are parts which seem kind of slow. That being said the overall story and the characters all make up for any minor slow sections. I would really like to see this turned into an audiobook though. I think that would be amazing.
Sally
I honestly didn’t expect to love this book as much as I did but I drawn in from the very first sentence. I love the world that Michael created and I love how in-depth he went with explaining their magic and how it related to the characters. I love how fun it was and the action was pretty great as well. I finished it in one sitting and now I can’t wait for book 2! Such an awesome read
Anna
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I can’t wait for the next book. Bermuda Moses and Jason <3 ...more
Achim
If you're looking for a tale with an ingenious magic concept and engaging characters imbedded in a interesting although more drafted than in-depth created world full of witches, trolls, incubus and fierce kitten living in a mystical house then you don't have to look further, just start reading but if you need romance mixed into the story, wouldn't mind a bit of smexy times on page and get easily distracted if said magical concept is loosing itself in nerdy details then this book might not be on ...more
Lyndsey
Ok readers... I really enjoyed 95% of this book. My issue.... while the world building was really cool, there were parts that seemed like lecturing vs. story-telling. And because I love me some smexy times, I was really sad there wasn't much from the romance front. I hope the incubus can pull his weight next time.

By the way, this story is by a new author and I hope he continues writing because I would love to see more of this world. Please, please, please don't take three years. I really can't w
Krista
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good start to a fascinating world

I found this book to be a very fun an and easy read. I feel like each of the characters were wonderfully introduced and I enjoyed getting to know them. I can't wait to read what happens next. I'm officially hooked on this series.
Paul Kirchhoffer
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book

This a pretty good book. I am not much for modern fantasy but the world this author built is really freaking cool
Robert Young
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful beginning of a series

I loved this book! It’s well written and has an exciting plot. It is also one of the few fantasy novels I’ve read where the main character is gay without hijacking the entire story. I’m eager to read the he next book in the series. (And check out Michael’s picture in the author page-woof!)
Alycia Luster
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!!

This was awesome!! I want more please!! I really like the world building and story set up. This should be an amazing series!!
Meredith
A fun read. I enjoyed learning about the magic system along with the main character. All the characters were very engaging and their relationships and interactions were enjoyable to read about. I won this through a GR giveaway.
Cindy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Urban Fantasy at it's finest

A hugely entertaining read! So good I read it in a day. With a remarkable different take on mage magic, it didn't just redefine urban fantasy, it blew it out into orbit.
I loved the snarky dialogue and the theme of found family (as opposed to your given family) and that life is what you make of it. Lemons/lemonade
Tremendous world building and character development, a must read for all scifi/fantasy lovers. Free on KU, take a chance, you won't be sorry!
Dear Michael,
Vintagebooklvr
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book is not as action-packed as many urban fantasies but it does have very good character development and world-building. The magic theory and details of how magic works are gone into depth that is unusual in most urban fantasies. For that reason it may not be to the taste of everyone but I really enjoyed it. Don't be fooled, there is a prolonged beat down in the beginning and several magical battles.

I loved the kitten and the little characters he made to carry out much of his magic. The c
PaperMoon
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I might have been sucked in by the 5 star reviews and the cover art - but this didn't really cut it for me as an urban fantasy. The VAST amount of word space spent in delineating / explaining how magical power works by allegorical comparison with science and nature did not draw me into the plot. The action fight sequences with baddies were good but then the momentum drops as the MC kept getting seriously injured and had to painfully recover from drastic wounds. As I was fast-forwarding entire se ...more
Dena
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
3.75* Lots of unanswered questions--looking forward to book 2.
Ivan A Sumblingo
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Love This Book!!!

I'm always on a lookout for a gay fantasy/supernatural genre and was glad to find this.

There is no doubt as to who my favorite character of this book: Bermuda Moses of course! There are things that always catch my eye when I read a book. Very cute animals and children are my weaknesses, plus add a very exciting MC(s).

I do love our MC, Jason and the fact that he is gay was a big bonus! I love how the author centered on his character development as a person (partly) and more so
Drianne
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, m-m
[I've tagged this m/m, but it's more queer sf than romance at all.]

I liked this much more than I expected to! The narrative voice put me off a little, but it hit its stride more after a few chapters (and the book is quite long, so that helped). I thought the world building was interesting--I've never read before about magic that works by the user imagining little cartoon characters who go off and do whatever he needs; it was really charming. The action is unrelenting (not my favorite, but the st
Joseph
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked how personable this book read to me. I felt like even though it was a fantasy, it wasn't over the top. The Characters actions and thought process seemed realistic to me. I also appreciated that it had some "sexual" content or moments, but it wasn't too much. I'm looking forward to reading the next book once its comes out.

The author asked to give some specifics in reviews, so without any spoilers, I'll just say that my favorite character WAS the main character (Jason). I just found him v
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • First Moon (Four Moons #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Chaos Moon (Four Moons, #2)
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Stalked by Shadows (A Simply Crafty Paranormal Mystery, #1)
  • The Witch's Blood (The Ellwood Chronicles #3)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
My first career was a gunslinger.
At 10 years old I learned everything I needed to know from Louis L'Amour and after rigorous practice in front of my bedroom mirror, I was ready to take on the bad guys. Later, I became a spy after reading some Tom Clancy - and infiltrated the kitchen and the living room and learned all the secrets available from living in a small trailer.
I finally found my true c

Fledgling God (2 books)
  • Melee Mage (Fledgling God #2)