Start by marking “Conversations with Trees: An Intimate Ecology” as Want to Read:
Conversations with Trees: An Intimate Ecology

Conversations with Trees: An Intimate Ecology

From a pioneering thinker in the field of religion and ecology, a collection of evocative meditations on the beauty, fragility, and resilience of trees. Included are twenty-seven original lithographs of the trees profiled in each chapter.

First published in 1993, Stephanie Kaza's heartfelt book helped thousands of readers kindle a sense of spiritual connection through commu
Published April 23rd 2019 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Conversations with Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conversations with Trees

Start your review of Conversations with Trees: An Intimate Ecology
Bonnye Reed
Originally published in 1993 by The Attentive Heart, these essays by Stephanie Kaza, illustrated by wonderful line drawings by Davis Te Selle are just as relevant today as they were 25 years ago. And their message is just as strongly needed - if we take care of the needs of the trees, the people will live on.

Kaza moves me to tears in places. She brings into focus the wonder of these living, breathing plants that outlive us in some cases by centuries, requiring only water, nutrients, and carbon
Frank Watson
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
At first it sounded strange, almost ridiculous: CONVERSATIONS WITH TREES. Really? Then I realized I was looking at it from a western, materialistic mind. If looked at from a more Zen perspective, with the realization that all is part of all, it makes more sense.

I still wasn’t sure what to expect, but Stephanie Kaza, the author CONVERSATIONS WITH TREES: AN INTIMATE ECOLOGY, is a student of Zen and the book is a collection of her essays. Many seem to have been lifted directly from her journals. Pe
Dan Carey
Kaza's prose and sentiments will strike many as over-the-top. There were times in this book when that included me. But my growing sense of kinship with trees no doubt strikes many as also over-the-top, so I just have to acknowledge that the line's position is personal for every reader. That said, there are some wonderful sections in these meditations. It was pretty much what I wanted when I bought the book.
Andjelka Jankovic
I loved this book far more than I expected; a poetic, observational and philosophical look at trees through the eyes of a tree lover. I found myself completely lost in it at times, coming up for air when I realised how close my nose was to the page. It speaks to my soul, how trees have wisdom and character beyond human recognition and how they are our teachers. Druid, the name for a tree lover, has the same root word as ‘truth’.
Tyler
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, I didn't write this book, but my friends at work who call me "the tree whisperer" might have guessed so. As advertised, this collection of essays really is about talking with trees, being in relationship with them, learning from them, and appreciating their presense. Of course I enjoyed it, and if you're interested I think you'll find this an easy, mind-opening read.
Kelsey Bollman
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
May be obvious, but this book is for tree lovers. If you’re “kinda into trees” you kinda won’t be into this. I found this book wonderful, informational, and spiritual.
David

• Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right
  • Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
  • Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders
  • An Innocent, a Broad
  • Participation and the Mystery: Transpersonal Essays in Psychology, Education, and Religion
  • Fierce Attachments: A Memoir
  • Wild Mercy: Living the Fierce and Tender Wisdom of the Women Mystics
  • The Lost Words
  • Brigid: History, Mystery, and Magick of the Celtic Goddess
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

Related Articles

“It seems like an indulgence to take the time to cultivate mindfulness when so much is being lost. But this is the tension - to find a considered way of acting not based on reaction. Building a different kind of sanity requires a stable base for careful action. It means being willing to know all the dimensions of the reality of destruction, being willing to breathe with the tension of emotional response, being willing to cultivate tolerance for unresolved conflict. This nonverbal form of ethical deliberation depends on the careful work of paying attention to the whole thing. Meditating, walking slowly, calming the mind by centering on the breath - these painstaking, deliberate practices increase the odds for acting intelligently in the midst of crisis.” 0 likes