Start by marking “The Penmaker's Wife” as Want to Read:

The Penmaker's Wife

In Victorian England, a mother is on the run from her past—and the truth about what she did.

Birmingham, 1880. Angelica Chastain has fled from London with her young son, William. She promises him a better life, far away from the terrors they left behind.

Securing a job as a governess, Angelica captures the attention of wealthy widower Stanley Hampton. Soon t
Kindle Edition

Availability: 100 copies available, 1744 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 31 - Nov 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Penmaker's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penmaker's Wife

Start your review of The Penmaker's Wife
    Karen Kay
    I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

Great story, well told. I love these femme fatale characters that are so very charming and so very devious. Good read! I look forward to reading more by this author.

Barbara
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I'm not a big reader of historical fiction but chose 'the Penmaker's Wife' because I know Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter and thought the idea of learning more about pen-making might be interesting. Well, that was a bit of a dumb idea. I'm no wiser on pen making after reading this than I was before and that's a bit disappointing. I am, however, educated on lots of different ways to kill off people who get in your way.

With a remarkably high body-count, this nasty tale of Angelica Chastelain, conn
    sarah lerigo
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Hugh fan of Steve Robinson's writing so was looking forward to reading this.
    Was I disappointed NO
    Was I gripped and drawn into the story YES
    Did I foresee the ending NO

Completely absorbed from the beginning, thought it was well written
    With twists and turns, and plenty of shocking ways the main character hoodwinked everyone for a better life.
    A must read

Thank you netgalley, Steve Robinson and Amazon Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book.
    Janet
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    A hugely enjoyable tale of Angelica Chastain and her scheming life. The story begins in 1880 and sees Angelica and her son fleeing London to start a new life in Birmingham. Angelica is a quick-witted, determined and ruthless character. Lots of fun to read. A light, quick read with lots of twists and turns.
    I received a free review copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for my honest and unedited review.
    Aunty Janet
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I found this book to be a compelling historical noir. It grabbed me from the first couple of pages and I found it very hard to put down! The main character has a very dark side and her actions are shocking to say the least. Set in Victorian England, the rich narrative had me on the edge of my seat in several places. A true thriller and highly recommended!

''Birmingham, 1880. Angelica Chastain has fled from London with her young son, William. She promises him a better life, far away fr
    Sallie
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I wish to thank Net Galley and the publisher Amazon Publishing UK for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book. I have voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Steve Robinson has done it again. He has written a compelling mystery with lots of twists and turns that grabs you at the beginning and holds your interest to the last word. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the story unfold and had no idea where it was going. It is
    Mary Johnson
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A story of life and times in Victorian England told in such a way as to bring the squalor and poverty to life. The differences between the poor and the experience of life for the middle and upper class acts as the backdrop to the content.

A tale told cleverly leading this reader with mixed emotions about the central character- but I cannot say more without spoiling it for A N Other. Steve Robinson is an author to follow...

Donna Cross
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Fascinating material a really good read.

What a very brilliantly written book. I loved the characters and especially how the story was delivered. Any crime and historical fiction fan would highly enjoy this as I have
    Courtenay Clarke
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What a twist!

I like almost anything historical in nature, especially the Victorian era. That is one of the reasons why I bought this book. I certainly don't regret having done so. The main character in this book is wonderfully portrayed as a devious individual who will stop at nothing to protect who and what she considers precious to her. I highly recommend this book.
    Diane Cowdrey Tafe
    On seeing that Steve had a new book out, I immediately bought it, assuming it was no. 8 in the Jefferson Tayte series. This proved not to be the case but my initial disappointment was soon overcome as the book proved to be have a gripping story line without Jefferson's help.
    An easy read that is hard to put down.
    Kristina Watts
    Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. Having not read any of Robinson's novels before I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I couldn't have predicted the ending to this novel, and the main characters Angelica and Effie continued to surprise me throughout with their accounts and actions. I'd thoroughly recommend.
    Jackie Cain
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
    When I saw that this book was one of the selections for the Amazon First Reads for November 2019, I was excited. Having really enjoyed Steve Robinson's Jefferson Tayte genealogical mysteries, I'd been planning to buy this book when it came out and now I didn't have to. So, I downloaded it with great anticipation, only to be terribly disappointed from an overwrought and overwritten start all the way through an unedifying and depressing book. In fact, after having reached the half-way point and be ...more
    Eloise Robbertze
    The Penmaker’s Wife by Steve Robinson is an historical novel about murder, obsession, manipulation and the lengths a mother will go to, to give her son the best in life.

I loved the historical details in the novel. I could clearly imagine life in late 19th century England, the contrast of the dirt-poor streets of London to the wealthy suburbs of Birmingham. The settings were beautifully created.

The character development was minimal. I felt the characters were the same at t
    Lynsey
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    This is about a woman who attempts to do everything for her son, whether that is faking her own death, selling her body or bumping off a few abusive men along the way.

However, I felt the character of Angelica was horrid. I feel as if a story when told from the point of view of the murderer it should be more nuanced and have more character development as the book progresses. I didn’t have any emotions towards her and that to me means an author has failed. I should have been either rooting for he
    Joyce
    Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The setting and description of the time was what I liked most about this story.Angelica went through a lot trying to protect her son William and it seemed like there was so much tragedy in this book.If you go into this book expecting misfortunes to befall our erstwhile heroine you will be okay.
    It’s well written but I just couldn’t get past the constant pitfalls to Angelica leading a happy life.
    Thankyou to Netgalley for this ARC
    Louise
    I read about a third of this book and gave up.
    It wasn't to my taste.
    I think the best way I can describe it is overly simplistic.
    There were no details or depth to the book.
    It was a series of fortunate or unfortunate events I felt.

Possibly if I'd carried on it would have picked up,but not all books suit all people and I happily moved on to something else.
    Kay
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Nowhere near as good as the Jefferson Tayte books. It is hard to like a book when the main character is completely horrible. A book about murder, prostitution, a lesbian relationship, and a woman who would do anything at all to prosper in the world.
    Peter AvillEng
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Enjoyable

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and look forward to more of this at the novels . I will recommend this book to friends.
    Steve Robinson
    I wrote this! I hope you enjoy reading it. :o)
    Nov 10, 2019
    Nov 09, 2019
    Hilary AlAjdiri
    Nov 14, 2019
    Nola Roach
    rated it did not like it
    Nov 12, 2019
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    Goodreads Librari...: Book linking to wrong author 3 25 Oct 21, 2019 05:13PM

• Singing Bird
    • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
    • Their Last Breath
    • The Missing Wife (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #2)
    • A Window Breaks
    • The Last Letter from Juliet
    • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
    • Where The Story Starts
    • The Bottle of Tears
    • Scream Blue Murder (Jack Rutherford and Amanda Lacey, #7)
    • BLOOD ON THE COWLEY ROAD a gripping mystery full of twists (Detective Susan Holden Book 1)
    • My Name is Eva
    • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
    • An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
    • Close to You