Start by marking “That's Mental: Painfully Funny Things That Drive Me Crazy About Being Mentally Ill” as Want to Read:

Award-winning Asian British comedy writer Amanda Rosenberg presents an intimate memoir of confessional essays about the hilarious, inappropriate, and often difficult side to being mentally ill.

That’s Mental breaks down myths and misconceptions about what it means to be a millennial with mental illness in a darkly funny, but relatable way. In her new book, Rosenberg
Published November 6th 2019 (first published October 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about That's Mental, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Mental

Start your review of That's Mental: Painfully Funny Things That Drive Me Crazy About Being Mentally Ill
Nursebookie
This book was absolutely brilliant and down right hilarious!

As a nurse, my favorite rotation was in psychiatric and mental health. I have always felt a connection with my patients.

This book was able to look at mental illness and gloriously shines a light to the stigmas. It helps us become more understanding, and have better awareness about the importance of mental health.

This is a must read!
Joe
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Rosenberg is so so so damn funny. Her humor is exactly my shade of dark. This book is good and it's also so important and encouraging that it exists!
I felt seen and relieved by Rosenberg's writing and I laughed my face off.
I'm keeping it on my shelf right beside Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking for whenever the next depression spiral hits and I need a friend.
Jessica | Booked J
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

Standard disclaimer: A copy of this book was provided by the publisher and my friends atBookSparks in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

As someone who struggles with her mental health at various, inconvenient times (mental health really do, as the kids say, be like that) I knew straightaway I had to get my hands on That's Mental. Amanda Rosenberg seems not unlike myself--a millennial with
Molly Sanchez
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit this book is funny and cathartic. Amanda Rosenberg does such a great job of being grittily transparent (there is no cure in this book) and really helpful and knowledgeable when talking about mental health. It's real, raw, and a really funny time.
Kate
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening, heart-wrenching and laugh-out-loud funny all at once. I’ve never read someone so candidly write about mental illness and I’m so glad I read this book! Must read for everyone who has or know someone who has a mental illness which, hello, is probably everyone in the world.
Allison
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listen, I know I should be more articulate about this but IT'S JUST THE DAMN BEST.
Amanda is hilarious and wickedly smart, even about the most personal and tricky of topics. Buy this book, read this book, then buy someone else this book, so they can read this book.
Zachary Houle
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you know me, you’ll know that I’m intimate with the topic of mental illness. I co-facilitate a mental health peer support group at my church, so you could say that when Amanda Rosenberg’s That’s Mental came up on my plate, I was hungry to read it. When I finally sat down with the book, I must have been ravenous because I read it basically in two sittings. It’s a funny book, but incredibly on point about what it’s like to live with a mental illness and all of the highs and lows that go with ...more
Beth
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
INSANELY funny - a stunning book. Within seconds of opening this book, you will be laughing loudly and pulling your (weighted) blanket snugly over you as you sink into the pages. This is because it's immediately obvious that this is completely fresh. It's as if your best friend is talking to you honestly and hilariously, to entertain and comfort you through whatever the week has put you through, no matter how healthy your mind currently is.
It's beautifully candid: every few sentences you will
Katie Katieneedsabiggerbookshelf
“Don’t judge me based on my mental illness judge me for the asshole I am.”

This was a fascinating look at mental health. I really loved how open the author was about all the issues she faces and that she wasn’t afraid to shy away from the hard parts. I loved the section where she talked about gun violence and mental health. I think “Mental illness” has become a great excuse for gun violence, but people are missing other aspects by just blaming it on mental illness. Overall I really enjoyed this
Sharon
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
One of the funniest and most painfully relatable books I've ever read. I don't have bipolar, but Amanda has an uncanny knack for transporting the reader directly into her brain using her words.
Sydney
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you enjoy dark humor and painfully relatable content for anyone struggling with a mental illness or two? Then this book is for you! I absolutely loved That’s Mental! I felt like I could finally talk to someone (well okay, read their words and then say “yeah exactly!” to myself) about all the struggles of mental illness that aren’t often talked about or understood. The author is hilarious and I love her conversational style of writing. She talks about important topics like stigma in a broad ...more
Victoria (Latte Nights Reviews)
This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Ilove, love, loveThat's Mental, and recommend it to EVERYBODY. Seriously, this was such a good book and I think everyone should read it, because it talked about mental health and mental illness in a great way.

InThat's Mental, Amanda Rosenberg shares her story with mental illness, as well as her thoughts

Nnekay
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and I think everyone with a damn brain should read it.
Maggie Tokuda-Hall
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For those of us with a diagnosis or two we'd rather not have, That's Mental is like a hug from a friend you were too shy to confide in, but understands anyway. Also that friend is funnier than you.
Suzanne
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Valerie Aurora
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book somehow manages to describe what depression and suicidal ideation is like without either overwhelming the reader or trivializing mental health. This is because Amanda is a comedic genius who knows how to share without oversharing. I'm no longer suicidal, but I remember wishing so hard that someone could put what I was feeling into words so I wouldn't have to. This is that book.

Back then I was struggling to help myself, and I was struggling to explain to other people how they could help
Frankie G.
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the funniest, most revealing book on mental illness I've ever come across. As someone who suffers rather quietly, & spends a lot of time onstage pretending I'm all good, this book was was more cathartic than a thousand cries. If you've never struggled with serious mental illness, this book is an incisive look into what it's really like, day-to-day, out in the mental streets. If you have, this book is an angel whispering "Been there, dogg" in your ear. And if you think you aren't ...more
Dyane Harwood
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Rosenberg's "That's Mental" mixes the rapier wit of Carrie Fisher with the profound insights of Kay Redfield Jamison. Although Rosenberg didn't set out to write an inspiring book,"That's Mental" transports the reader to a better place.

How I wish I had this book in 2007 when I was first diagnosed with postpartum bipolar disorder!
"That's Mental" would've helped me through the mental illness sh*tstorm in spades. This is an utterly original book that's a must-read for anyone affected by
Stephanie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Who knew that a book about such a heavy topic, mental illness, could be so light and accessible? The author does a great job of injecting humour into her experience with mental illness and helping give people a better understanding of what mental illness can feel like.
“I know meditation works for some people, but for me it’s like waving to an assassin who’s been hired to kill you and being all ‘Yoohoo! Over here!’”
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Meecham Whitson Meriweather
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally, I was of the mind of taking a few days to read this book, absorb, and process it as I was going through my own rough patch, but dear reader, that did not happen. I finished this book in a mere 36 hours because not only did her stories ring true to my own experiences, but the way they were presented felt like having a conversation with your very wise, hilarious friend. This book is a must read!
D5alti
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read Amazing
Danielle Zimmerman
THAT’S MENTAL is a really interesting take on living and dealing with and accepting mental illness as a part of daily life. As someone with depression and anxiety, I very much relate to a lot of the thoughts Amanda Rosenberg verbalizes, such as how there are tells for when episodes are coming on or what mania feels like. I also greatly appreciated the section and musings on how interactions with other people change when mental illness plays a factor.

The aspect of the book that dings my rating
Lynette
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
That's mental, is a witty, unapologetic commentary of the authors experience with mental illness. Although the author herself explains her experiences are not shared with every individual due to differences in brain chemistry, it was altogether informative. The details of her past, including family and relationships form a basis from which the reader can empathize with her diagnosis. I enjoyed the authors wit and sarcasm as it didn't portray her as snide or condescending, but rather as a real ...more
Kathryn
Probably a good read if you're new to the whole "sometimes my brain does shit I don't understand" game, but if you've been around, seen a therapist, read some books, you probably have all the info this book will have.
Dara
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This memoir is about banishing the stigma when it comes to living with a mental illness. It is funny and contained many stories about what it is like to live with or love a person with mental illness. I read it as a part of non-fiction November. This book has a lot of 5 star reviews and I will say it did provide a lot of good advice. I am not a huge fan of memoirs and I read this for non-fiction November. It was just so-so for me, hence the 3 star rating.
Audrey
Nov 01, 2019
Kaitlyn (shelf.centered)
Nov 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Life's Accessories: A Memoir (and Fashion Guide)
  • Meg and Jo
  • Maggie's Ruse
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Life on Loan
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance #1)
  • Gold Digger, The Remarkable Baby Doe Tabor