Start by marking “The Other Side” as Want to Read:
The Other Side

The Other Side

Denver, Colorado
1987

There are two sides to every story.
The surface reality that’s presented to the world.
And then there’s the other side.
The real one.
The one that matters.

Seventeen-year-old, self-proclaimed asshole, Toby Page, is alone.
No friends.
No family.
He trades maintenance work in exchange for room and board.
Every day he fights demons no one else can see.
Every day he
Published June 5th 2019 by Do Epic LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4 STARS

This isn't an easy book to review,I don't want to give anything away.You should go to this blind because it's better!This one really touched me, it's an emotional and heartbreaking story.I don't think I will be soon ok after reading this one!

I had tears in my eyes and still thinking about it, even though I wasn't hooked from the first pages I find it amazing.The Other Side is raw,realistic and heavy.

It's a must read and I'm sure once you read it you will think about it for days!

B.N. Toler
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another exceptional novel from Kim Holden that you do not want to miss.

I dare say, there is not a person alive that cannot in some way relate to this book. And that's why this novel is so good. It's deep, it's raw, and it's real. Kim wrote one story intertwined with many stories and seamlessly wove it all together. She challenges our perceptions of the world, of people, of what we think we know about life.

I fell in love with our hero who carried so much pain, yet did his best to show kindness t
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-top-fave
One of the best books I have ever read. This is Kim Holden's best book yet. Deeply moving and simply breathtaking... your emotions will run the gamut and you won't know what hits you as you flip pages, devouring this book. An unforgettable journey that will touch your heart and soul, that will restore faith in human kindness and will make you feel loved and that you matter. Kim has a gift of speaking to the reader that is just so touching and real... this is a book that you will never forget. &l ...more
Jennie Simpson
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know how, but she always manages to write an amazing book that sucks me in every time. I think what makes TOS so special is Kim’s ability to be raw and real with a mental illness that is often not talked about or is misdiagnosed. Trust me, you will love Toby! True to Holden’s form, she surrounds the main character with a brilliant, complex, witty, and lovable supporting cast that adds immense depth and flavor to the storyline. Must read book!
Talon
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can almost always leave it to Kim to provide you with an emotional story that leaves lots of incredible imprints on you along the way. And different kinds at that! They're not all the same. The Other Side is no different from Bright Side, All of It, and even Gus. Once you finish this story-- you will be left breathless.

The best part of this book was the EXCELLENT story line and plot placement. When I say that, I'm talking about the POVs that we get along the way and the way that Kim structur
Joy
Such a touching, thought provoking, relevant story. There are two sides to every story and though you may know how any given situation affects you it's impossible to know how it affects others, how YOU affect others. Toby's story has you hoping and praying that someone, anyone can change his perception of himself. After his mother does the damage Toby is left in a world where he creates barriers to avoid connections but still has a heart of gold to make a difference if even for a little while. H ...more
Lady Westfall
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I think sometimes we take people for granted…or we just assume that they know how we feel about them because if it’s so obvious to us, shouldn’t it be obvious to them too? I know now that people don’t know…they can’t know…unless we tell them. Because saying it, or hearing it, can literally be the difference between life and death."

My tears are literally still drying and I'm sick (literally as well). I'm off work today so had the time to finish this beautiful book. ❤

Kim Holden did it again. Ther
Konny
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Other Side by Kim Holden is a full length, standalone romance novel. The book deals with sensitive subjects and is not for the faint of heart. Consider you warned.
Meet Toby Page. He's a 17 year ols senior at highschool and his life wasn't an easy one. He has no family left and works odd jobs to make ends meet. He's all alone and to make matters worse, he's battling a mental illness. He fights his demons day after day.
And then a new tenant moves in , Alice Eliot. She's his ray of sunshine in
Anne OK
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A breathtaking gut-punch! Life doesn’t get more profoundly real than this. Pulsating with a deep undertow of dread, yet ultimately moving, this unsettling novel is brought to life by Kim Holden. Feelings of brokenness may be more common than we can even imagine. Great stories expose our flaws and struggles. This is what makes them inspiring. Books are a powerful way to shed light on all parts of the human experience. Holden weaves fact and fiction together seamlessly, and the end result is enlig ...more
Ri
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If there is one thing that I can count on with this author it is her innate ability to make me feel. I had to stop numerous times to suck in my breath or wipe a tear as I muttered, "sweet holy hell" just to get my emotions in check. This book hit home to me for a plethora of reasons. I am not sure if it was the timeframe that this was written because I was Toby's age, the music which was all familiar with, or the actual thoughts that Toby experienced. It was all just familiar and it felt like ho ...more
Louisa
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Why do I read?  I like to read escape into the life of a billionaire who falls in love with his secretary. Sometimes to observe a girl as she falls in love with her best friends brother, these books take me into a world that isn't my reality (no billionaire husband here!), but every once in a while I read a book that changes me, makes me a better person. Kim Holden is now someone who's done that twice, lightning strikes twice with The Other Side. I finished Bright Side with a renewed sense of l
Readingtilthebreakofdawn
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I needed to process a little bit before writing a review. And any review that I put into my own words will not do this book justice. This book is something I believe we all need to hear, to see and to listen to. We all need to know we aren't alone. And we all should see that there is two sides to every story. But that other side is very hard to see for some people.

"The most important time to listen is when words are missing, that's when hearts cry out the loudest."

Toby...wha
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE+++++++ STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

Her outstretched arms are an invitation that I gladly walk into. I hug her. The hug lasts minutes. It’s more than an embrace—it’s apologies for the past and promises for the future. It’s solace, and safety, and reassurance, and friendship, and want, and need, and acceptance, and forgiveness. It’s contentment. It’s love.

I’m completely blown away by this incredibly poignant and exquisitely written story. ”THE OTHER SIDE” deals with very
Cyndi Marie
Shelves: 2019
I want to give this book 10 stars! For me this book hit home in a completely different way than I think it will most people. I expect to see a lot of comments from people who know the way Toby felt in this book but I am the opposite. I don't know this feeling and find I am sometimes unsympathetic toward people because I don't understand it but this book showed me and explained to me how someone can seem one way and feel a different way. I needed that lesson!

Toby's story is heartbreaking but it i
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

I firmly believe Kim Holden is some sort of mind reading magical fairy who puts out books exactly when we need to hear the words the most. Bright Side came out during a difficult time in my life when I was struggling to accept my illness and now The Other Side came out when I was struggling with my darkness. The Other Side gave you hope it was a steady reminder that you are enough.

Toby drowned in the darkness. The voices in his head told him everyday he wasn’t good enough. His upb
Maureen Mayer
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book... My god, this book... It nearly broke me.

Every time I finish a book by Kim Holden, I’m left speechless. How can one person evoke so many emotions through a single story? There aren’t many I can say this about, but I feel like she truly just gets people, straight down to the very core of what makes them...them.

Toby. God, just thinking about him, I want to cry! He might try to come across as an asshole, but there is so much more to him than meets the eye. He has a beautiful soul, one
Brenna
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kim Holden writes literary magic. She has a voice that should be heard by everyone, and this book is no exception. The pure emotion, rawness, and vulnerability that bled onto the pages could be someone’s lifeline. An answer to their cry for help (even if they’re just crying on the inside). Kim writes about something that everyone needs to feel life free to voice...the struggles of depression.

Now, I’m lucky enough not to constantly face, and battle, the bitch that is depression, on a daily basis.
Christina
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

5 Stars

The following is very much a non-review for The Other Side by master story-teller Kim Holden. Why is it a non-review? Because no amount of poetic or flowery, raw or impassioned words I string together to “review” this book will even come close to doing it justice. Even if I had all the perfect words and all the perfect ways to express how incredible this work of art is, I still don’t feel like I should be the one reviewing it.

Simply put- The Other Side is the result of when someone pours
Erin Mcmahon
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“That’s you, Toby, that’s you, you’re worth fighting for.”

This book was just amazing I held off writing a review because I had to let it sizzle in my mind. It was written so beautifully.
Toby hasn’t had it easy and the death of someone close just starts him on a down word spiral, he doesn’t see that he’s amazing and caring and worth fighting for he only sees his daemons.
Toby has a list of goals to achieve but some how he meets Alice and the list changes some. He starts to feel things he didn’t
Cheaper Than Therapy Book Blog
I suffer from a very similar PTSD as Toby.  I also suffer from depression and feel "not good enough" on a daily basis.  This book hit all the marks for me in the reality department.  I felt like I was on a journey with Toby and could feel his lack of self worth.  When good things happen and he feels that slight lift of happiness, the depression takes over and wont allow him to get to the happy place.  The forever glass is half empty feeling is a daily reminder that he is not good enough.  People ...more
Jen
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS
There are books that you love, books you enjoy, and every once in while, there are books that you know will stay in your heart for the rest of your life. The Other Side by Kim Holden was absolutely brilliant. Heartbreaking, breathtaking, soul shattering. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it.

“There are people we meet in this world who anchor us. They reassure us with their presence. They bring us comfort simply by being. They love us by osmosis, radiating it out and diffusin
E
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hours later I’m still reeling from this story... I’m still thinking about it, and I just can’t stop thinking about it because I was just so blown away. It’s a story that will stay with me for a very long time. It‘s a beautifully written and complex story which is devastatingly beautiful and tragic at the same time. My absolutely favourite quote was: “The most important time to listen is when words are missing, that’s when hearts cry out the loudest.”
Toby Page is seventeen years old, totally alon
Chelé
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
" There are people we meet in this life who anchor us. They reassure us with their presence. They bring us comfort simply by being. They love by osmosis, radiating it out and diffusing it in effortlessly. Quietly, they walk among us, treading lightly but providing stability and influence because it’s second nature. The thing that’s so special about these people is that they don’t even know they’re doing it.”

This is the longest it has ever taken me to finish a Kim Holden book because emotionally
Darlene Avery
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then we are fortunate enough to fall into a book that our souls need; whether we realize it or not.

I started The Other Side by Kim Holden without even reading the blurb. I just knew it was Kim’s writing and that she always captivates me.

Guess what?! She went above any expectations I could ever have imagined.

I actually messaged her while ago and told her from the depths of my being that I needed this book more than I realized.

I actually feel lighter after experiencing all the feels
Ellie
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Wow. Just, wow.
Bloody amazing, this.
It's been ages since I read anything that moved me, anything I liked without reservation. A worthy book was long overdue, but this one was all the things.

It's been longer since I encountered someone who deserves the title of 'author.' Ms. Holden is not a mere writer, she's a master at the craft.

Read.this.book, folks. Just do it. This story needs to be read. It's a proper best-seller. It's unique, not because similar stories have been written before,
Kim Markett
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kim’s writing is full of insight and understanding with this story. It’s a message to provide hope. To offer kindred thoughts to a topic that is difficult to endure.

I really didn’t sense how depressed Toby was. I understood it, I just didn’t feel it... He went on and on about his guilt and sadness but I really didn’t connect with it. But I did connect with his character because he was written with such detail and fierceness that I could picture him sitting beside me and I wanted to hold him and
Bree
Incredible must- read!

I literally stopped in the middle of what I was reading when this book was released, because I love Kim Holden's words so much and I couldn't wait to read it. But. This book was beyond my expectations. I thought I was prepared, thought I knew what to expect. Toby wrecked me. And Alice gave me hope. Every single character in this story is important, and so meaningful. I work with high school students as a school social worker, and I fully intend to share this book with them
Kim Sutton
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down my favourite book of 2019! I don’t think anything can compare to this book for me. There’s no comparison, I’ve never read anything like it before.

The Other Side was such an amazing ride of emotions it had so much depth. I didn’t want to break from reading, but I also didn’t want it to be over.

Kim Holden wowed me with this one. I went into it blind, not knowing what it was about at all, and I didn’t expect any of it. I’ve never read anything like this story before it’s raw, a
Jessica Lavander-Biggs
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“They love by osmosis, radiating it out and diffusing it in effortlessly. Quietly, they walk among us, treading lightly but providing stability and influence because it’s second nature. The thing that’s so special about these people is that they don’t even know they’re doing it.”

If ever there was a book opposite of Kim Holden’s loved Bright Side, this book is literally The Other Side to that. Toby is very depressed and suffering from severe mental abuse from his mother. He calls himself an assho
Erica S.
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
The Other Side is a book that will touch your soul and never let go! It's raw, real, emotional and very eye opening.

There are so many things about this book I want to scream from the rooftops about but you need to go in with no spoilers. Just absorb Kim's phenomenal story telling because it's all consuming!

These characters are everything. Their stories will break your heart completely. I do promise that it will be mended back together in the end with minor cracks left behind.

Here are a couple o
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Young Adult Conte...: The Other Side by Kim Holden - Starting June 13, 2019 27 10 5 hours, 58 min ago
Some of my favorite things: reading, writing, the two coolest guys on the planet (my husband and son), my bicycle (my husband built it for me), Facebook (I'm fairly certain it's an addiction at this point), iced coffee (hazelnut), and music (LOVE Sunset Sons, the 1975, Dredg, the xx, Balance and Composure, Teenage Bottlerocket, and 30 Seconds to Mars). I also love dreaming, which brings me to my n ...more
“Inquisitive, quietly observing and sifting through people’s actions and words to decide if what someone projected on the outside matched who they were on the inside. It’s unnerving how perceptive he is.” 0 likes
“The past clings to her and clouds her mind so completely that it governs her present and foretells her future.” 0 likes