Start by marking “The Splintered Crown: A Tankards and Heroes Novel” as Want to Read:
The Splintered Crown: A Tankards and Heroes Novel

The Splintered Crown: A Tankards and Heroes Novel

A medieval fantasy with a party of adventurers all ready to make a name for themselves and earn some gold.

Tankards and Heroes is set in the city of Kortufan, where spies, assassins, mercenaries, arms dealers, rebels, smugglers, and informants do dirty deals dirt cheap.

The Poxy Dragon is a rough bar outside the worst part of the medieval Silk Road. It takes serious cour
Kindle Edition
Published April 25th 2019 by SOL Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Splintered Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Splintered Crown

Start your review of The Splintered Crown: A Tankards and Heroes Novel
Bob/Sally
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-heroic
A party of adventurers in an unknown land of ghosts, on a quest for a legendary artifact, backed by the divine intervention of a mysterious demigoddess. Stop me if you've heard this one before, because you have, but that's precisely the point. Much of the appeal of The Splintered Crown is that the story is so familiar, a throwback to the classic quest adventures of the 70s and magical fantasy of the 80s.

Larry N. Martin offers up plenty of action and adventure, magic and mayhem, in a story driven
Joyffree
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-tbr
An epic fantasy that captivates and enchants from the opening page to the closing scene.
This is the type of storytelling that captivated me as a child, that started my love of reading.

Our little band of misfit mercenaries has hit on hard times. They just need one last hurrah so they can settle down away from the law, the hunters in search of a bounty, the overall craziness. When an opportunity is presented to them they take it.
What follows is truly an epic adventure that transports the reader
Anne Barwell
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the set up for this story, and its world. It’s a neat idea having a tavern and heroes going on quests as a continuing thread throughout this new series. Although this story is about one particular quest and its heroes, the story also takes breaks from the main action to show life within the tavern, and the character who populate it. The Poxy Dragon is a wonderful name for a tavern, and having the quest start and end there bookends the action very nicely.

The characterisation is fabulou
Miriam
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.

I like the cast of characters in this story. The questers are not a team of heroes, but rather a group of friends after the prize for finishing the quest so they can escape the city. I liked the way we find out more about each of them as the story progressed and how such different characters have come together as a sort of chosen family. There was a real dedication between the characters. But I felt like something was missing in
Adena Lee
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We nerd types have all read some of the Forgotten Realms and Dungeons and Dragons books and have gotten used to their formula of writing. Most of those books are interchangeable - just change the names of the characters and cities and you have a new adventure. Larry Martin managed to write a novel that has the same epic feel without completely following the rules of those epics. While the quest is still the same, his characters are deeper, more weighty, more real. That takes this novel out of th ...more
Chris Godwin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book and the review is entirely voluntary.
A well-written story with a few minor problems. The characters weren't two dimensional, but there wasn't enough to really make me feel invested in their survival. This may be in part due to the plot, that while interesting and well-paced, never made me feel the heroes were in any real danger.
All in all a respectable debut novel that makes me look forward to his future work as there's a lot of potential here.
Dawn
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved "The Splintered Crown"! It's a fun slice of fantasy with some really great characters (watch out for Elsie!) and a lively plot. I wouldn't mind spending an hour or two at the "Poxy Dragon" myself...

I voluntarily reviewed this book after receiving a free copy.
Jess Reynolds
Tracie M
Kelly Nicholson
Sherry
Jul 30, 2019

• Sellsword's Oath (Assassins of Landria #2)
  • Open Season (Spells, Salt, & Steel #2)
  • Convicts and Exiles: Blaine McFadden Adventures Collection
  • Cauldron: A novella from the Shadow Council Archives (Joe Mack Book 1)
  • Wasteland Marshals
  • The Dark Road: A Jonmarc Vahanian Collection: VOL II
  • Inheritance (Deadly Curiosities, #4)
  • Echoes of Guardians: Book One of the Entrent Saga
  • Sons of Darkness (Night Vigil)
  • Falcon's Call
  • The Last Seer King (The Shadow Sword series Book 2)
  • Treasure Trail (Treasure Trail, #1)
  • Flame and Ash (Witchbane #4)
  • Mozari Arrival (Hammond's Hardcases Book 1)
  • Close Enemies (Michael Biörn #3)
  • Three of Swords (Empire Asunder Book 1)
  • Breach of Peace (Breach of Faith #1)
  • Night Moves (New Templar / Spells, Salt, & Steel Book 5)