Start by marking “Alien: Isolation” as Want to Read:
Alien: Isolation

Alien: Isolation

(Alien: Isolation #0)

The product of a troubled and violent youth, Amanda Ripley is hell-bent on discovering what happened to her missing mother, Ellen Ripley. She joins a Weyland-Yutani team sent to retrieve the Nostromo flight recorder, only to find space station Sevastopol in chaos with a Xenomorph aboard. Flashbacks reveal Amanda’s history and events that forced her mother to take the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published July 30th 2019 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Alien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien

Start your review of Alien: Isolation
Victoria
I'm so very excited for this story to get the fleshing out that it deserves but some of the rumors about Zula's involvement worry me a little. The Defiance comic was one of my favorite Alien-verse comic arcs of all time, and I really hope that her character isn't altered from how she appeared there. Her and Davis's characters (and Amanda's personality as well) are getting glossed over with so little detail or care in the current Resistance arc...

And Amanda Ripley is really special to me as a
James Big Cat
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow this really felt like a sequel to the original story. Don't get me wrong Aliens is great and I love it but it's got a completely different atmosphere than Alien.

Alien Isolation gives us the best of both worlds. You get the tense isolated horror of the Alien stalking Amanda in the beginning and more action-packed race against time twords the end.
I also liked the use of the "Joe's" (semi mindless drones, instead of Androids like Ash or Bishop) and other survivors to keep the tension up between
Amy Walker
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a little confession to make, I've never been able to finish playing Alien Isolation. I've had it since it was released in 2014, and have tried finishing it at least once a year since, but it's just way too scary for me. As such, when it was announced that Titan were releasing a novelisation I was over the moon, as I'd finally get to find out how the story of Amanda Ripley would end.

Whilst this is an adaptation of the game, Keith R.A. Decandido adds a lot more to the story, exploring
Darth Dragonetti
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alien book publishing has gone through a sort of renaissance in the past few years, due in large part to the solid effort of the people at Titan Publishing. Authors like Tim Lebbon, Christopher Golden, Alex White, Alan Dean Foster and now Keith R.A. DeCandido have been publishing some real powerhouse novels that are fun to read and add to Alien lore in exciting ways. Now, enter Alien Isolation, the 2014 videogame. Taking a cue from a most interesting deleted scene from the film "Aliens," ...more
Quinn D.K.
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to this, an adaptation of an incredible videogame based on one of my favourite franchises of all time. Unfortunately, the book inherits many of the flaws of the game, namely a shallow, unevenly paced story and uninteresting characters.

Personally, I was eager to see how the author would translate the game's impeccable sense of tension and dread into prose form. However, having read the final product, that didn't seem to be much of a priority. There is only the barest
Dean Bremner
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had tried to play the game a few years ago but couldn't quite get through it. The book however is just as amazing and still full of suspense. In the films the backstory is pretty brief about Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda and I think this book did an amazing storyline for her. It is still pretty upsetting to know just how determined Amanda is at the end to find her Mum and we all know that she will never find her. This book really is amazing and Keith has done an amazing job! If you love Alien ...more
Martin
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining novel based on the video game of the same name. I enjoyed returning to Sevastapol and learning more about Amanda Ripley's background, although I do think her backstory is a bit dull compared to the main story. Overall, the book does well in getting the reader into the mind of Ripley as she struggles to survive, and adds an interesting dose of realism by having her scavenge for food and water. My main criticism, aside from parts of Ripley's backstory, is that the latter part of the ...more
Andrea
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read! The book gives some more backstory to Amanda that, while a bit repetitive at times, did help me feel more attached to her and her struggle to find out what happened to her mom. It’s nice as well to relive the game, while still having the story deviate enough that you never feel like you’re reading a text LP. Definitely worth a read if you enjoyed the game and are a fan of the Alien universe!
Margaret Goodell
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing, way too many flashbacks to childhood and teenage angst, even the parts with the alien were dull.
Ursula Johnson
Not as Good as the Original Alien Trilogy Books

I am a fan of the Alien series, especially the books, audiobooks and audio dramas. I am not a gamer and am not familiar with the Isolation story. I'm coming to this particular story as a newbie.

Amanda shares many traits with her mother and I enjoy the the fact that she is an engineer in all but name. Parts of the backstory were interesting, but became tedious after a while. Part of this were implausible as well. Lots of moving through vents of the
Edward Taylor
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Having not played the game (or really seen anything other than a trailer for it) I was able to go into this one clean and clear of judgments. I had read more than a few of Keith's stories (including from Aliens: Bug Hunt) and this one was awesome right out of the gate. There were some slow spots when the main character was referencing back to her past and the things she had done to get there but I honestly did not care if she was a purposeful underachiever, all I wanted was pure and ...more
Xavier
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

As someone who beat the game, this adaptation was alright. The game had awesome tension and great gameplay but suffered from 0 character development and very little investment in the characters and therefore the story. Also the ending was a dumpster fire.

The novel on the other hand, solves some of the character development problems, specifically Ripley. It's a lot easier to invest in her character when you get to know her background and not just that she's a scared survivor like in the
Benedict
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Nick
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this more than I did but the fact is it just wasn't as good as a lot of other Alien stories and it shouldve been given more care.

This is a re-telling of the plot of the video game and it shows, certain sequences are fine and feel like a novel but there's plenty of moments where the author has obviously tried to crowbar in a moment from the game and it really feels like this is what happens and breaks you right out of the story.

The story itself is a bit weak in places too,
Jacqualine Branstrom
3 *s
I love Aliens. I really love Aliens. I had tried to play Isolation shortly after it was released but my computer crapped out, at least as far as gaming on it went, and I still haven't upgraded to a new system. So I was super excited for this so much so that I had it on pre-order. Sadly, it didn't live up to the expectations. I didn't hate it, just wasn't amazed by it.
There were little nods to the game from what I remember of the game. Like finding the pieces to build things. Putting
Adam
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Starts off well. I liked the small prologue about some of the characters Amanda meets later in the adventure. Theres something different about this compared to the video game. The video game kept me in suspense almost from beginning to end. The novel did not. Some of the memory chapters also felt redundant at times. Maybe its the sound effects, the visuals, the ambience but the game really keeps you on the edge of your seat. Maybe playing through the game first kinda takes away some of the ...more
Karl Poff
It's not the game

While I would say it's loosely based on the game (a similar statement made by movies based on books) it is not the game. It is a good story giving insight into what Ripley's daughter would have experienced. As for bullets not working on the alien, well they sure seemed to work in Aliens (the movie sequel) . So there are flaws in the story, flaws that generally show up when a writer is either unfamiliar with the original material or decides to use "creative license".
David Sharp
What it adds isn't very compelling

All things Alien are solid. The action is good and so is most of the plot, but that all comes from the game. The problem with this book is that the added elements muddy Ellen Ripley's backstory, they made her a freedom fighter (seriously?), and drag the story. So much is repetitive, both in dialogue and in plot, that 30% of this book feels like it exists simply because the author needed to hit a page or word count. Honestly, I'd stick with the game or one of the
Stephen McGuire
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride!

I don't know anything about video games that refer to this story. I didn't know anything about Amanda Ripley, except what was mentioned in the films. I don't care about video games, but I do care about good stories, and the Alien story in all of its print and film ma infestations is a brilliant and unforgettable story. Keith R. A. EsCondido has crafted a riveting story that is as good, thrilling, and ultimately redeeming as any I've read.
Jordan Bickimer
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, horror
A lovely adaptation of a story I already enjoyed. It's not going to blow your mind, and you'll miss out on some of the atmospheric things that make the game (and, to a lesser extent, the miniseries adaptation thereof) so haunting and nostalgic. But as someone deeply interested in Ripleys and their encounters with these horrific creatures, I loved it. Getting to see a bit more of Amanda and her mom, and getting that sense of closure between the two, was lovely.
Kevin
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Way too much time was spent on Amanda's backstory and her stupid step father. I don't know how a setting as rich as what we saw in the game got turned into a tired melodrama about crap parents, but that's what we got here. If you're looking for more of the experience and horror that the game provided, this book doesn't provide it at all.
Tama
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the game. Really enjoyed the book. Added a little more depth (more backstory and her inner thoughts) to Ripley (Amanda) and finally gave a solid explanation as to how the little cliff hanger at the end of the game was resolved. If you enjoyed the games story I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy the novelization. ...more
Joshua
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I honestly really enjoyed this version of the game's story. It gives a much needed background to both Amanda Ripley and Ellen Ripley and adds a good level of context to their characters. It also explains why Amanda is so good at what she does and how she was able to survive in Servastapol. Overall, this is a great read for fans of the Alien series or even just fans of the game.
Steve Lomas
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hard-sf, sf
Arguments as to the story being cannon or not aside it does sit well within the Alien franchise. This is reasonable action SF and tells a side story with gusto. However there isn't a lot of development and it reads like a walk through of the game it is based on.
Abigail Kent
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Sadly a 300 page book can't do a 20+ hour game justice.

That being said, the book wasn't terrible, far from it in fact. I really like the author's way of writing and my dislike of the book isn't from fault of the author. The book would need to be much, much longer to do the game any justice.

Lots of parts were rushed and honestly I think I would've been confused as to what was actually happening most of the time if I hadn't planned the game beforehand.

Disappointing lack of the alien. Aside from
Swray03
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different take on things but interesting. Sadly though it sorta ended oddly. It seemed to leave the story open for a second book in this series. I hope one is in the process of being written.
Jefferson
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much better than a video game tie-in has any right to be.
Alicia Eckford
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love the game and the characters I highly recommend this novel as it brings the characters to life and it gives you more of Amanda's story.
Matthew Goodwin
Despite some clunky prose and dialogue in need of basic editing, Alien: Isolation is solid fare for fans of the game and expanded universe (comics, short films).
Grey
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent book based on fantastic game.

• Alien: Prototype
  • Alien: The Cold Forge
  • Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • Aliens: Bug Hunt
  • Alien: Echo
  • Predator: Incursion (The Rage War #1)
  • Aliens
  • Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)
  • Alien³
  • Alien III
  • Alien
  • Predator: If It Bleeds
  • Aliens: Resistance
  • Alien: Covenant Origins
  • Alien Resurrection
  • Alien: Covenant
  • Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)

Alien: Isolation (7 books)
  • Alien: Isolation