Start by marking “Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed” as Want to Read:
Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed

Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed

Sixteen-year-old Andrea Cavanaugh is elated when Josh, a bright-eyed piano prodigy, becomes her first boyfriend. But the closer she gets to him, the more she realizes that he's not the boy she first fell for. In its poignancy and emotional darkness, Forgiven are the Starry-Eyed takes you deep into the delicate and devastating web of shame that spirals from the depths of da ...more
Published April 24th 2019 by Evernight Teen

To ask other readers questions about Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed

Start your review of Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog

4.5 Stars

‘In my mind, he was a tortured, brilliant artist, and I could be the one who helped him, who figured him out. So it became my mission.’

Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed by Christine Dore Miller has a compelling synopsis and the story captured us immediately, what with its morose and emotional tone. The writing is superb and has an undercurrent of hopelessness and dejection. We are in awe that this is the first book by this debut Author, it was well written and touched on hard-hitting topics.
Dianne
Andrea is that teen who doesn’t get into trouble, is pretty much “wash and wear,” an uninvolved parent’s dream, the girl who gives no one any problems, therefore is overlooked by those who should be watching for “changes.” She was also ill-equipped to know where to turn, who to turn to and how to speak up for herself, she is a teen drowning in trouble.

Christine Dore Miller’s FORGIVEN ARE THE STARRY-EYED will gut you, bring out your rage and hopefully open some eyes and hearts.

Andrea is a victim
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019

4.5 Stars

Brandy
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 of 5 stars for this one! This book was so hard to put down!

This book deals with relationship abuse in a high school relationship, so it is a sensitive topic for some but so important. I read this book is less than 24 hours and was sad I had to stop to sleep (and I love and normally look forward to my sleep 😂) because it was THAT GOOD. I’m excited for the sequel and to find where Andrea’s story goes next. I 11/10 suggest you read this one!

Some spoilery stuff below that I just want to mentio
MG
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for teenagers, parents, educators, and anyone looking for a fantastic, meaningful book.

This novel is truly one that I could not put down until I read the very last word. In the first chapter, I was immediately swept up into the confused and shattered world of teen Andrea Cavanaugh, a high school student trapped in an abusive relationship. The danger of the situation unfolds to both Andrea and the reader, with the turn of each page - I felt as if I was experiencing every emotional hig
Book Hunt With Us
Age doesn't matter if you are a woman - getting assaulted some way or the other is a constant risk, at whatever degrees it may be defined as in that place. This book by Christine Doré Miller throws light over problems that any girl might face without seeing their own inner soul. Having a boyfriend is not the only way one can prove that she's beautiful or of substance. She should and can believe in herself to put a stop to others comments on her body or the talent that she has😤

I could easily give
Amanda
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover is what initially drew me in, the synopsis solidified my need for this book. It's such an emotionally raw and powerful read. It portrays an abusive relationship in such a real way and doesn't gloss over the ugly parts.

Andrea's story is an all too familiar one. Unfortunately, so many people can relate to what she goes through. It's so well written, you really get in her head and feel her hopelessness. It's an honest portrayal of a sensitive subject that is still shrouded in silence and
Brittany Smith
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andie is a sweet and under the radar kind of girl. She has a small group of friends that do everything together and she knows her place in the world. One day a new boy transfers to her school and changes everything. Josh and Andie start dating and it’s great for a couple months but then she starts to see some changes. It’ll take everything she has to fight this change and come out if it in one piece.

Let me start off by saying that this book is not for the faint hearted and it is very heavy in na
A_Girl_Reads
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
'They'd just tell me to break up with him without understanding what the consequences would be if I made him really angry. Plus, I didn't want them to look at Josh in only bad light. I knew they already weren't crazy about him, and this would be the final straw. Josh wasn't a bad guy. He just went through these angry episodes, and I knew nobody else could understand him as I did.'

Read this book!

Usually, I do in-depth reviews analyzing the characters, the world setting, the plot, the pacing, and
Michelle
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a Prevention Educator for teen dating violence. I shared this book with a group of teens I work with. We all loved this book. Here is the combined review from all the teens:
*We received a free autographed copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

SPOILER WARNING: Parts of the plot are discussed in the following review. Direct quotations from the book are used.

This book follows Andrea’s journey through an abusive relationship with her boyfriend Josh. This book grabs the reader r
Chelé-----4 The Love of Books
Andrea (Andie) is the quintessential good girl. She follows the rules, listens to her parents, she doesn't break curfew and she enjoys being the student conductor of her band. She has a small circle of friends, her best friend Harper(I can't stand her.....you'll see why) , her friend Ethan (The best!)  and her childhood friend Stephanie (Such an amazing person)

Josh is the new guy at school. He's rich, handsome, and a piano prodigy. Most of the girls have their eye on him including Andie and Har
Ashleigh
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trigger warning
This was a very heavy intense read that deals with issues in eating disorders, rape, self harm, emotional and physical abuse.

My trigger warning might put you off from reading this review or novel however all these things happened to a young impressionable teenager. I really thought the author did an amazing job bringing to light such tough issues. I was really able to feel such emotion and compassion for the main character as she went through this journey. The book was so raw an
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Love isn’t supposed to hurt.

I appreciated the way the author showed the audience the many warning signs of an abusive relationship through multiple examples in the storyline itself. This was so much more effective than sharing a list or having another character spout them off once Andrea was more deeply involved with Josh. It also gave the audience a chance to think for themselves, especially when it came to the small moments of discomfort the main character felt on her first date that can so ea
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

This was soo tough to rate. I appreciate what the author was trying to do here, but I think it fell short for a few reasons. :( There was no wrap-up, for one thing. I feel as if this was setting up for a second book, but I may be wrong. Perhaps the author is unsure of where she is taking it (if anywhere), or maybe it is meant to be speculative. Either way, it was missing a lot as far as the ending and closing up details. If a sequel were to come out, I would read it for the simple fact
Liz Herrington
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by one of my favorite people in the world. I told her I would be honest with my feedback, and honestly, this is a book that ALL teens should read. It presents teen dating violence in an approachable, realistic light. The characters are relatable and will resonate with young readers. The writing is brilliant. I have no doubt that this book will save lives. It is the most important book that’s been published in 2019 so far. Please - do not sleep on this one! It’s too valuable ...more
Lianne Hedden
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed is thrilling and devastating. Painting the picture of a girl who suffers through an abusive and spiraling relationship, it hits close to home for so many women and girls. It's beautifully written and quick to read, but it'll take a lot longer to leave your mind. Even if you've never found yourself in Andrea's position, reading this book will leave you in a better place to be compassionate and perceptive to those quiet cries for help you may not have otherwise noticed ...more
Patrick Hodges
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story:
Sheltered high school junior Andrea Cavanaugh believes she hits the jackpot when Josh McMillan, a piano prodigy, becomes her first-ever boyfriend – he’s talented, handsome, popular, everything a girl could want. However, she quickly learns that Josh has a very dark side, and their storybook romance soon turns into a nightmare that could very well destroy Andrea in every conceivable way.

Read the rest of the review at Young Adult Books Central:

Mary Ann
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A poignant and heart-rending story that is so relevant to the times. This book should be read by every mother of a young teenage daughter, as well as by that teenager herself. So many situations in our formative years affect the path our lives take, but none so much as the one depicted in this read. Kudos to Ms Dore Miller for bringing this problem to light in a well narrated and meaningful way.

Michael
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgiven Are the Starry-Eyed is a raw, honest look at an abusive teen relationship through relatable, realistic characters. The prose is fast-paced and easy-to-read. While the ugliest aspects of abuse are difficult to take in, Andrea's story of survival is an eye-opening look at a very important topic, all the more worth reading because these issues aren't discussed frequently or readily enough. Recommended reading for teens and adults alike!
Laura Santana
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down until I finished it. I was not happy with the ending I need to know what happened to Andrea and Josh. If you want an insider to what a abusive relationship feels like and or simply want to know how bad it can get, the author Christine has nailed it. The characters are very relatable, either you can relate as the victim or a friend who's been there and seen it happen or you might even be the friend who cheated. The book is outstanding everyone should read it.
Danielle Nicole
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you for an important book, that I will gift to the teens in my life; to start some difficult but needed conversations.
Danielle
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is not for the faint of heart. If abuse is a trigger for you, please do not put yourself thru that.

What I loved most about this book is that the author did not gloss over anything. All of the emotions and feelings that go with being abused are front and center. If you or someone you know is being abused, please get help. Be that person who holds a card out to a stranger.
♣Bel♣
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forgiven are the Starry Eyed

4 stars

I think this is truly one of the most important stories that needs to be told, especially in Young adult literature, as it isn’t seen nearly enough as it should be.

I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review and I am so grateful because this was phenomenal. I was instantly hooked because this is one of the most capturing and emotional stories I’ve read in a long time.

There were intense topics introduced and over the course of the novel
Indre
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book from the author for my honest opinion.*

This book is really really good. It is dark, and heavy, and deep. But a must read for those that want to know more about an abusive relationship.

The story follows a junior in High School, Andie. She's a type of girl, that might be not popular, but she is active with her school, a good student, a good friend, one that follows all the rules, and has an interest in music. When Josh, a heartthrob and a piano genius enters the school, every
Martina Schumacher
"Forgiven are the starry-eyed, for they know not why they love."

This quote describes the book really all to well. Andie is the reinbodyment of a goody-two-shoe. Good grades, band, never breaks curvew, straight edge, very kind, but with a horrible taste in men. Or.. man, to be precise. This book shows, in a very graphic manner, how horrible teen dating violence can be, and how hard it can be to see or even realise it is happening to yourself.

I absolutly loved, hated and cried for this book. I cou
Crystal Zavala
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author
Andrea is a high school senior who falls for the new boy in town, Josh. Josh is handsome, smart, and seemingly in love with Andrea. Andrea is the good girl who follows all the rules, gets good grades, and never lies to her parents. Quickly, Josh starts to show his dark side. Andrea and Josh fully delve into an abusive, toxic relationship.

Christine Dore Miller has an ease and realness about her writing. This novel is about all the worst things the a teenage girl can go through. If you cannot rela
Denise Anett
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful- this novelist really takes it up a step in how teenagers deal with bullying. All teenagers should read this and make it would help them when the time came for them to decisions. Very well written.
Lauren
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think the idea of this book was a good one but the execution of the book with such a sensitive topic wasn’t the best. I just had a lot of issues with it. Full review here ...more
Sarah Hamric
Read it because it was written by a person who grew up where I live.
Emily Pacella
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an emotional but necessary read for young adults (and those who love them) to serve as a warning of the potential dangers of relationship violence! Well written, couldn’t put it down!

• Vanilla with a Twist ( One Scoop or Two)
  • Marked
  • The Tutor: A Ghost Story
  • The Flapper's Fake Fiancé (Sisters of the Roaring Twenties #1)
  • Everything's Fine
  • The Midnight Before Me
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • Adeline's Aria (Infernal Echo, #1)
  • The Scoundrel's Wager (Tricking the Scoundrels #4)
  • The Vikings' Sightless Bride (Romance on the Go Book 0)
  • Unexpected Risk (The Phoenix Agency Book 7)
  • The Old Woman Who Named Things
  • Alternative Destiny (Blue Star Shifters Book 3)
  • Loving the Cowboy (Hot in the Saddle, #3)
  • Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #1)
  • Digging Up the Dirt (Southern Ladies Mystery, #3)
  • Window Dressing (Bound to be Naughty)
  • The Warrior's Progeny (The Heaven & Earth Series, #2)
Christine lives in the Los Angeles area with her husband and their two children. She works full-time as a senior marketing manager for a large media company and holds a Bachelor's of Business Administration degree from Western Michigan University where she studied marketing. Growing up in the chilly midwest, she developed a deep passion for dramatic writing and alternative music at an early age, w ...more