Start by marking “The Book of the Year 2019” as Want to Read:
The Book of the Year 2019

The Book of the Year 2019

The Book of the Year is back, with yet another pro-rogues gallery of the most amazing, audacious and absolutely absurd news of 2019.

Once again the fact-finding foursome behind the podcast No Such Thing As A Fish have been newspaper-trawling and website-crawling to create your ultimate guide to the past twelve months.

Learn which of Donald Trump’s claims are so bizarre they
Published October 24th 2019 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Year 2019, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Year 2019

Start your review of The Book of the Year 2019
Pihla
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stellar as ever.
Beau Stucki
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The usual mix of laughs and learning. Sometimes more crass than classy, but a sure hit for those who are fans of NSTAAF or QI.
Katie
Duration: 11 hrs 2 mins.
Walruses are falling off cliffs, blue tits are pecking out other birds' brains, Britain is in the throes of wormageddon, and James' fear of mushrooms must now extend to being swaddled in a suit of them and, quite literally, left to rot. Just in case that wasn't bad enough the QI Elves from No Such Thing as a Fish cover a myriad of other calamitous topics, with equally thought-provoking and hilarious consequences. Full of facts and interesting tidbits from the last year,
Cory
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great, as always. It's basically 8 or so hours of material like the podcast, and I wouldn't even consider picking it up in hard copy, because the presenters bring so much joy to their reading, and they keep in the banter between them as they go. It's also got an extra bonus chapter that didn't make it into the printed version, so yay!

If you've ever listened to the podcast, you know what to expect with this book. If you haven't listened to the podcast, I'd listen to a few episodes to
Linda
Did not finish.

I liked the concept. It's a collection of oddball but interesting news stories from 2019. The difficulty is that it's based on a podcast, so listening to the audiobook is a lot like listening to a podcast, and podcasts are not my favorite things. (I haven't quite put my finger on what it is that I don't like about them.) I had no idea until I looked up "No Such Thing as a Fish" right before writing this review that this is the team of question writers for QI. I really like that
Fiona
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s a first for me. I am solely reviewing the Audiobook. Usually, if I do have an audiobook I will switch between listening and reading a physical/ebook copy, but I prefer listening to this instead of reading it. I am a huge fan of the podcast No Such Thing as A Fish, of the TV show QI and of the Radio 4 programme Museum of Curiosity, all of which the creators of this audiobook work on. This audiobook is like having an 11 hour version of one of the NSTAAF podcasts and its excellent.

I really
Abhishek
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is very quickly becoming a yearly ritual. Being an ardent fan of the podcast, this year I went for the audio edition & kicked myself for not choosing it last year. It is essentially a 11 hour podcast with the impromptu jokes sprinkled along with the actual articles.

If you like the chemistry between these elves & are a fan of quirky facts & news, there's no way you'll not enjoy it.

I think I'm going to buy the audio edition of last year's book as well.
Ada
I really don't know if people would enjoy this if they didn't listen to the podcast first.

I do and I really enjoyed myself. Funny thing is that my partner has become so sceptical of the news that even by the most easily to find out fact, he reacted with "If it's really true the..." I told him to stop reading the news because telling him new things was becoming a bit of a downer.

He liked the parts about the sausages though.
Tabitha
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
As a big fan on the podcast I was really looking forward to this book. It’s very good and contains some interesting finds but I found it a little ... boring? I prefer the podcast.
I also didn’t like the layout and sometimes found myself flipping back and forth.
Great content though !
Longer book than you realise
Emannuel K.
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
No Such Thing as a Fish é meu podcast preferido. Então, nada mais natural de que esteja se tornando um hábito escutar a versão em áudio do livro que os integrantes escrevem anualmente, reunindo as notícias mais curiosas do ano. É como se fosse uma versão particularmente longa do programa. Certamente ainda vou ouvir ao menos umas duas vezes mais até o fim de 2019.
CrowCaller
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
God this book and all of them are top tier. The stories and jokes inside are wonderful. I love No Such Thing as a Fish and I am never disappointed by this book as a concept. Unlike the QI books, each story here has a lot more context and explanation- more than just 'here's a wild sentence which is true'.
Ions
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic! It should be listened to, there are so many little tangents they go on. The audiobook also has bonus content at the end. They pepper in audio clips from their live show too! I'm looking forward to 2020s already
Peter Marsh
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardback
Another hugely enjoyable offering from the QI Elves/No Such Thing as a Fish podcast crew. For anyone who though these books were just a rehash of the podcast output, this is not the case and, as a follower of the podcast, I don't recall any duplication.
Sam
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A highly enjoyable read recapping the wierd and wonderful news of the year, as always. Fans of the podcast and previous books will like this one as well. I personally prefer the audio book version rather than reading it but each to their own.
Tonje
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hillarious and full of weird facts. I was hoping the book would be like the podcast and I was not disappointed.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Really loved this; I love how it's got extra bits not covered in the book (mostly them just picking on each other) and it really is just like a very long episode of their awesome podcast.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019, favourites
Every year, though the audiobook usually has extra bits, the book contained little snippets the audio couldn't; finally giving me reason to do what I do each year anyway; buy one of each.
Stuart
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good review of the year, very humourous.
Todayiamadaisy
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Essentially an extra-long, written version of the podcast. Entertaining and informative.
Sarah Walsh
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love them. They bring me joy
Louise Esson
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been listening to this driving to work every day and it’s so much fun to listen to. If you want a hilarious but informative listen I’d highly recommend!!
Jason McCracken
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The audiobook was like an incredibly long, more structured but less funny episode of the podcast.
Claire Jones

• 52 Times Britain was a Bellend: The History You Didn’t Get Taught At School
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • I, Robot: How to Be a Footballer 2
  • Ayoade On Top
  • Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions, #1)
  • A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies, and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment
  • Dishonesty is the Second-Best Policy: And Other Rules to Live By
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • When to Rob a Bank