Start by marking “Their Last Breath” as Want to Read:
Their Last Breath

Their Last Breath

Detective Carter knows all about torture – but he’s never known a case as dark as this one.

The Six…

An abandoned building goes up in flames. Six women are chained inside and left to die – the truth is left to burn with them. Only one piece of evidence remains, but will it be enough to find their killer?

The Detective…

Retired detective Warren Carter has been suffoc/>The/>The
Published September 24th 2019 by Thomas & Mercer (first published September 15th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Their Last Breath, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Their Last Breath
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I smile as I take in the room. There is a bed in the centre. A doorway to a small bathroom to my right. There are curtains at the window, which are closed.

And then...I am confused. There is a chain attached to the wall with a cuff on one end.

I turn to look at him, my eyes wide. 'What is-'

But I do not get to finish. He pushes me roughly forwards. I stumble and stagger until I fall face forward onto the bed. His weight is on top of me, and I think he will rape me.

I scream,
Sue
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THEIR LAST BREATH is a gripping new thriller by bestselling author Sibel Hodge, author of Duplicity and Into The Darkness.

Gillian Lane arrived home earlier than expected from a business trip and must have disturbed the killer. A light was left on upstairs, that her husband Neal always left on to deter burglars. Her husband, Neal and an unknown woman, had been brutally killed in the house. On the side wall was a message- DIE PIGGY DIE. Gillian was confronted by a person, dressed in bl
Mandy White
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Their Last Breath by Sibel Hodge is a dark police procedural that keeps you guessing. I am a big fan of this author and jumped at the chance to read her latest book. She is absolutely a go to writer for me. This one was a little slower than usual but I still really enjoyed it. Great characters with a twisty story.

There are some familiar characters in this story but it is definitely a stand alone. We see the return of Warren Carter out of retirement when 2 murder cases have the teams
Mark
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Sibel Hodge is an author who you know when you pick up one of her books it’s going to be good..you also know that there will be a on point, relevant theme...’Their Last Breath’ is no different
A sturdy police procedural that cleverly tells the story of 2 separate murder investigations, 1 a brutal double killing, the other a fire where 6 women, chained up, are killed
Enter Detective Carter ( fans will know him from Duplicity and Into the Darkness ) retired but now back in action and Det
Linda Strong
Six women were chained inside an abandoned building and left to die when the building burned down. Next to one body was the charred remains of a policeman's warrant card.

Retired Warren Carter is given the chance to come back to work in order to investigate this crime that involves a corrupt police officer. But who can he trust?

Meanwhile, a man and woman were tortured then killed in the man's home. When the wife comes home, she finds their bodies tied to chairs ... and a m
Pauline
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Detective Carter is brought out of retirement to help with the investigation into an building where six women are left to die in a fire.
There is also another murder investigation that may be linked to this case.
A police procedural story that keeps you guessing.
Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Louise Wilson
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Retired Detective Carter is still in mourning for his wife and wondering what to do with all the spare time he now has when he gets a phone call from his old boss. He's asked to investigate the deaths of six women who were chained to the wall of a building that had gone up in flames. A police officers warrant card had been found at the scene. Then they realise another Detective working on a separate case, could be connected.

The characters are complex I this in this well written, fast
The Cats’ Mother
Their Last Breath is a well written police procedural set in Southern England by a new author to me, but one whose name I was familiar with. It is mainly told from the perspective of detective Warren Carter, but other chapters follow DS Becky Harris - both of the characters have appeared in earlier books but confusingly this was not billed as a series.

When the bodies of six women are found in an isolated abandoned hospital, and a force warrant card is found on site, the Caroline Bark
Bridgett
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 stars rounded down.

Their Last Breath, by Sibel Hodge, is a very well-written, multifaceted police procedural. Told mostly from Detective Warren Carter's view point, others telling their stories include Hayat, Gillian, and Detective Becky Harris.

Apparently, and this is a little annoying to me because I like to read all book series in order, a prior book, Into the Darkness, tells another Warren Carter story...one which is referenced multiple times in Their Last Breath. While this book can act as a standalone, I think I'd ha
Jill McGill
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to Come!
peggy
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each time I read a new book by this author I know that I am in for a real rollercoaster of a read. A fire at a disused hospital is being investigated by the police.
In burnt out rooms they find young women chained by their ankle and the chained to the wall. When removing the bodies a burnt warrant card is found near one of the women.
Retired Detective Warren Carter gets a phone call late at night asking for his help as the police suspect corruption they need to find out who and why and how far i
Angie
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've read Sibel Hodge's work and I very much look forward to catching up with her other titles. "Their Last Breath" mostly unfolds via three points of view. It's a fast-paced police procedural, with a chillingly plausible plot, which I was unable to put down. I particularly enjoyed Warren Carter's dry humour and I think that Ronnie is a great, quirky character.
Nicole ☠ "psychological" thrill me❗
WOW! Two intricate stories weaved together to create one seamless story...Sib el Hodge has done it again with another pulse pounding thriller that is utterly un put downable. She proves time and time again that she not only why she is my favorite author but why is also one of the best thriller writers in the game!

I was literally so excited when I read the description and saw that my favorite DI ever would be returning for another case. I can't begin to tell you how much I love readin
Teresa
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Retired detective Warren Carter, who we've met previously in Duplicity and Into the Darkness, is floundering in his retirement and grieving for his late wife so, when he is offered the chance to return to the force, working for PSD's Anti Corruption Unit to investigate the deaths of six unknown women in an abandoned building, he jumps at the chance, when he gets to the scene of crime and sees w
Divya Sunil
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sibel Hodge’s books have always intrigued me and I approached her latest (thanks to Netgalley) with a lot of expectations and she delivered with a chilling page turner.

Detective Carter is called back to duty when an abandoned building goes up in flames. Six women are chained inside and left to die and the truth dies with them.

One piece of evidence points to the fact that there may be a mole in the force and Carter finds redemption in the investigation. What the heck..he h
Pam Chantrell
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A group of unidentified women dead in a fire, a police warrant card found under a girl with the name Hayat scratched into the floor. A possible serial killer who enjoys typing up couples and cutting them before strangling them. Are these cases related? If so, how? And who in the force does the warrant card belong to?
An enjoyable (not sure if that's an entirely appropriate word when referring to the subject matter!) read which kept me guessing at if the suspects tied together. A few twists
Leah Hines
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first read by this author and it won't be my last. A complex plot full of suspense and tension. The cast of characters is compelling. The story is well written and perfectly paced. This book grabs you from the beginning and doesn't let go.
Heather Bennett
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Their Last Breath is a fantastic and engrossing book. I could not put it down. Well written and well developed characters.
Joanne Cartwright
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read!
When Carter comes out of retirement to work on internal investigations into a corrupt officer he leaps at the chance to leave behind his lonely existence, suffering without his wife and generally listless and uninspired. He is thrown headlong into an investigation of 6 unidentified women burned to death in an apparently disused hospital.

Warren Carter is beautifully written, you feel his every emotion along with him as it is so well described in his words, actio
Joann
I love Sybel Hodge's books and this one was a real whopper. I really enjoyed Detective Carter and found out that he has been featured in some of her other novels. Will have to do some research now. There was tons going on in this book with one story-line story - six women are found burnt alive in an old hospital, tied to their beds. In the second story-line, an attack occurs in the middle of the night leaving one witness who didn’t really see much. At first, you don't think they are linked but t ...more
Carol Peace
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
What can I say, I was gripped from the very first page right up to the very last word.
Detective Carter is enticed out of retirement when 6 young women are found in a burned out building,these women though had been chain in and were malnourished so why were they there in the first place? As a warrant card was found in their last resting place Carter is looking into a corrupt police officer but this are never as simple as they seem and he finds himself right in the middle of a can of worms. The c
Terri
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb. Detective Warren Carter is called out of retirement by Chief Superintendent Barker, Professional Standards Department to help investigate the deaths of six young women in very strange circumstances. There are only two possible clues, the word Hayat written on the floor next to one of the bodies and a badly damaged Police ID card. PSD uncover a deeply disturbing story involving professionals at the highest level. This was my first Sibel Hodge book, it is great to discover a new author wit ...more
Jennifer Oslowski
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sibel Hodge is one of my go to authors and therefore was so happy to see this on NetGalley and I snatched it up!

Their Last Breath welcomes back Detective Carter and Detective Harris. Detective Carter is called out of retirement after six women are murdered. Two separate murder investigations along with a dark, twisty plot had me turning the pages and guessing until the end. If you like psychological thrillers which are a little dark, I definitely recommend. I look forward to reading more from t
Jill Burgin
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve really enjoyed Sibel Hodge’s previous novels and settled down for another rollercoaster ride of a book .
So happy to see Detective Warren Carter is back from retirement to investigate a really terrible crime. We’ve gotten to know him and his wry view of the world from other books. Another crime and another dectective we know may be related. Please let them get together again every time. A timely and engrossing story, this is a gripping fast moving well paced police procedural but it’s
Angie F
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read this year. From the first chapter the author creates an atmosphere overflowing with tension and excitement. This continues throughout the story with several shocks and plot twists along the way.
I loved DI Warren Carter and was pleased to see that he features in two more thrillers. Hopefully the author plans to write more stories around him as I certainly want to hear how both his personal life and his career progress. I can't wait to read more books by
Kym Jones
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, heart pounding, danger lurking behind every corner, questioning who to trust. This is NOT your typical Good Cop/Bad Cop story! This book grabs a hold of you at the very beginning and refuses to let go until the very end, and if you think you figured out who the villain is, you better think again!! Sibel Hodge is a absolute wonder with her story telling! I can't wait to find more of her books!
Lindsay
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
So I must admit I am a huge fan of Sibel Hodge and love all of her books. This one did not disappoint at all. It was a fascinating story full of the twists and turns you expect from her books along with a heartfelt sad murder mystery that I couldn’t put down until I knew that everyone responsible was punished. This book looks at trafficking, police corruption and murder with well developed characters who you either love or hate. A great read.
Andrea
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Already a fan of Sibel Hodge, I knew I was going to love this book and I most definitely wasn't disappointed. A taut, dark, suspenseful police procedural/mystery that kept me turning pages. The only reason for the four rather than five stars is that I found it quite formulaic. I would highly recommend it.

Many thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this ARC for which I have given my voluntary and unbiased review.
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. Six women are found - killed in a fire - chained to walls in individual 'rooms'. Why were they there? Is it possible that a serial killing is actually linked to these women, rather than the double murder they are thought to be linked to? Which information is disinformation?

Loved it. The 'who' doesn't matter as much as the 'why' and 'how'.

I received a free advance review copy of this book. This review is voluntary, honest and my own opinion.
Jeanette
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that i have read by Sibel Hodge and once again, i have really enjoyed. I love a book that has so many twists and turns and 'Their Last Breath' certainly had quite a few. A well written book and one that i can highly recommend.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• When She Returned
  • Dying To Tell
  • Slice
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • Simon Says
  • Two Victims (DCI Rachel King, #2)
  • Beyond the Point (DI Nick Dixon 9)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn Book 6)
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Where The Story Starts
  • At Your Door (DCI Anna Tate #2)
  • Found
  • Watch Her Die
  • He Will Find You (Maddie Ives, #3)
  • Someone Else's Life

Sibel Hodge is the author of the #1 Bestsellers Look Behind You, Untouchable, and Duplicity. Her books have sold over one million copies and are international bestsellers in the UK, USA, Australia, France, Canada and Germany. She writes in an eclectic mix of genres, and is a passionate human and animal rights advocate.

Her work has been nominated and shortlisted for numerous prizes, inc