Start by marking “Stay Gold” as Want to Read:

Stay Gold

Debut author Tobly McSmith delivers a coming-of-age teen love story about a transgender boy who’s going stealth at his new Texas high school and a cisgender girl who is drawn to him, even as she’s counting down the days until graduation. Perfect for fans of David Levithan, Becky Albertalli, and Jenny Han.

Pony just wants to fly under the radar during senior year. Tired from
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by HarperTeen (first published May 5th 2020)

Win a Copy of This Book

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Stay Gold
    ✨    jamieson   ✨
    Thankyou to the publisher for providing me with a review copy of this book !

This is an ownvoices book about a trans mc falling for a girl at his school, and it looks so cute. Can't wait !!
    noah
    Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
    oh man i have so many conflicting feelings about this book.

it was so nice to read a book about a trans dude. there really isn't enough representation out there, but, i gotta say, this was pretty much the boy version of If I Was Your Girl. plotwise it was so similar.

the first chapter from pony's pov was a lot of info dumping on what being transgender is for him, it felt a little stiff, but thankfully pony's pov became a lot more casual and i ended up really liking him. it was really cute
    Gabrielle
    Oct 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    10/14/19

"Stay Gold" ? "Pony" ? THE OUTSIDERS, anyone? Hello????
    Ben Ace
    Why did no one tell me about this sooner??!?!!?!
    Sana
    Dec 01, 2019 marked it as anti-library
    Shelves: arcs
    A love story featuring an #ownvoices trans main character, yessss
    mahana
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: rep-trans

tws: transphobia (assault, bullying, deadnaming, slurs), lesbophobia

rep: trans mc

Sophie Elaina
    So so so excited for this!!!

Thank you so much to Harper Collins for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
    || Soph ||
    Jan 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
    *inhales* HIS NAME IS PONY OHEMGEEE
    Michelle
    Jan 22, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: lgbtq, sss, wishlist
    did... did anyone say druck season three
    Fanna
    Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    - ownvoices transgender rep
    - coming of age rom-com, compared to To All the Boys I've Loved Before
    - alternate pov
    - opposites attract trope

THIS debut novel will definitely be anticipated by me with all my heart!
    Akelly
    Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Everybody get ready for this new YA release! An exploration of how we all withhold information and essential parts of ourselves to fit in and experience an uncomplicated existence. The characters were believable, relatable and fun to follow. Also my girlfriend was proud of me for reading something that didn’t leave me crying or having an existential crises for once ...more
    rachel ☾
    Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
    Leo
    Jan 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
    own voices own voices own voices own voices own voices own voices own voices
    trans mc trans mc trans mc trans mc trans mc trans mc trans mc trans mc trans mc
    Starr ❇✌❇
    Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: got-an-arc, reviewed
    I received a DRC from Edelweiss
    TW: transphobia, dead naming, lesbophobia, suicidal thoughts
    3.8

For Pony, a new school is the perfect fresh start. When he came out as trans, he got a lot of attention, some of it bad, some of it just annoying. Now, he can just be Pony. And maybe even cheerleader Georgia's boyfriend. The only problem is, he hasn't told anyone at school that he's trans yet.

This is another matter of reading an educational book and appreciating the education its attempting to give,
    Chloe
    Jan 04, 2020 added it
    *Spoiler free*

This was a book with a trans main character, who is going to a new school and wants to keep his identity under wraps. He also develops a crush on a cheerleader and she feels the same connection he does. I practically pounced on this book when I heard about it. Honestly, I heard it had a trans main character and that's all I needed to want to read it, everything else was just a major bonus. Trigger warnings: transphobia, homophobia, transphobic attack, suicidal ideation, implied
    Lucsbooks
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book reminded me of a lot of “Birthday” by Meredith Russo and “I Wish You All The Best” by Mason Deaver so if you liked those books, I think you would like this one as well.

I pretty much loved everything about this book: the fact that it is own voices, the way it actively fights against stereotypes, the importance it places on teen-friendly safe LGBTQ spaces, but most of all I loved the characters because they ARE teenagers.

No one is a finished work, they are still learning about who they
    samantha
    Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Taylor
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: own
    Above all, I adore Pony. He is a sweet, thoughtful guy who wants to start fresh at Hillcrest High and just blend in, not be the transgender guy but just be another guy. His plans of laying low are disrupted when he falls for Georgia, one of Hillcrest's most popular cheerleaders.

I thought STAY GOLD would be fairly lighthearted, but McSmith does not shy away from the serious pain of transphobia, homophobia, dysphoria, and other hardships. At times, this book is really brutal to read, but it’s
    Tiffany
    Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I just finished wiping my tears, after finishing this book.
    I’ll start off by saying that this book is needed. We need more diverse books that represent ALL groups. I’m glad that Tobly has been able to do that and has been given the opportunity to share it with the world. I truly do hope that this book serves as an avenue for awareness for people outside the LGBTQIA community.

I’ll be honest and say that, at first, I felt very uncomfortable reading about Pony’s stealth mode and lying to Georgia.
    Reid
    Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc
    I am too emotional to write a coherent review, but wow. What a tremendous book. Beautifully, unfortunately, realistic. Transmasc dudes will likely see some facet of their experience reflected here (I sure did!) and cis readers might get the wake-up call more than a few of them desperately need. Everyone else who's already "on board," so to speak, will enjoy this will-they-or-won't-they high school love story as a contemporary microcosm of the fight for authenticity.
    Mary
    Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I am going to totally steal the review of Riley Davis (Next Chapter Booksellers, St. Paul, MN) who says: "Stay Gold is the classic boy-meets-girl romantic comedy with characters that break the traditional tropes of a rom-com." Genius to have the reader rooting for Pony's success. And kudos to the author for really putting his money where his mouth is by creating the Stay Gold Fund.
    Amanda Zirn Hudson
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Love, love, love, loveeeeee. Longer review later :)
    Stephanie Baker

• This Train Is Being Held
    • Pet
    • My Dark Vanessa
    • Yes No Maybe So
    • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
    • How to Live: Boxed Set of the Mindfulness Essentials Series
    • Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties (Dog Man, #3)
    • Target Practice (Cleopatra in Space, #1)
    Tobly McSmith is the co-creator/writer of eight somewhat successful musical parodies, including Friends! The Musical Parody and The Office! The Musical Parody. Tobly was born in Texas. He now lives in New York City with his two cats, Bam-Bam and Bananas McSmith. Tobly is proud to be transgender.