Start by marking “The Fascinators” as Want to Read:

The Fascinators

A magic-infused YA novel about friendship, first love, and feeling out of place that will bewitch fans of Rainbow Rowell and Maggie Stiefvater.

Living in a small town where magic is frowned upon, Sam needs his friends James and Deliaand their time together in their school's magic clubto see him through to graduation.

But as soon as senior year starts, little cracks in their
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by HarperTeen

Availability: 5 copies available, 3452 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 17 - Apr 07, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Fascinators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fascinators

Start your review of The Fascinators
    Kai
    Shelves: queer, to-buy
    A bitch cried when it said Love, Simon meets The Raven Boys
    A bitch is me, Im the bitch
    Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
    How am I supposed to keep my fingers away from this when they have the audacity to mention "The Raven Boys" and "Simon vs." in one sentence?!?

The answer is: I'm not supposed to! *lol*

This book goes straight to my TBR and I really hope that it will be able to keep its promise!
    This sounds exactly like a book I'd love to read and I'm so here for it!

"Give it to me baby.... " *sings and walks away*
    Miranda Reads
    Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I need this more in my life than air.

Publication cannot come soon enough.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads
    Cassie
    Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
    I HEARD SIMON VS + THE RAVEN BOYS AND CAME RUNNING

-----------

update 1/4/2020:
    the ONLY good thing to come out of today, is Edelweiss approving me for an e-ARC of this ksnvjdnfvjdfdf

thank you, edelweiss, you are my true savior today!!!

Initial Thoughts:
    This very much reminded me of The Raven Boys, but it still is its own thing. The ending was cute, but Im convinced there will be a sequel. Too many questions that didnt get answered in this book.

----------

Actual Review:
    I'm actually giving this a
    Hamad
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
    This ReviewBlog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

If you believe it, you can achieve it, Denver said, ridiculously. Thats like the number-one rule of magic.

★ Every year there is a YA LGBT book that many readers anticipate and this year it is going to be this one! I was excited when I was approved for an E-ARC of this in exchange of an honest review. I had high expectations for this one (I mean look at the fascinating cover!!!) because it is pitched as The Raven Boys meets Simon vs. the Homo
    Iris
    Apr 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I heard gay and I was here for it, and then I heard dark magic and now I'm even more here for it.
    tappkalina
    Oct 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Simon vs. (my all time favorite book) meets The Raven Cycle (Ronan Lynch is everything)?
    It must me good, because the only time I was this excited for a book was before the release of Red, White & Royal Blue, and that is my 2nd all time favourite book now!
    Also, look at that cover! It's so beautiful I'm literally tearing up!
    May 12th is an eternity away, I can't wait that long. I mean I don't have a choice, but it will be sooo hard. I already set the cover as a wallpaper on my phone.
    Mara YA Mood Reader
    Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I read The Raven Boys meets....and didnt even need to read the rest before my thumb slapped that Want TO Read button ...more
    Rach
    Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
    We start off the book with three friends Sam, James and Delia who are seniors and part of the Friedman High Fascinators club which is a club for magic.

Each have the their own problems in life, James has a abusive dad, Delia family has no money and Sam doesnt know where he stands with James.

Their magic club is still working for now and even gets a new member Denver who may have a crush on Sam.

James steals a book from a group who are practicing dark magic which leads to trouble for our group.

I
    anna (½ of readsrainbow)
    gays just really get the best covers and it's exactly what we deserve
    Andrea Valeska
    Apr 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Okay, so.... The Raven Cycle meets Simons vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda???
    This is everything I never knew I needed.

description
    Benjamin (The Maniac)
    Sep 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Pray for my soul because all the excitement for all these upcoming queer books is killing me slowly (and my wallet)!
    Sara ❀
    Nov 03, 2019 marked it as wish-list
    Shelves: to-be-released
    "The Raven Boys meets Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda"
    i will hibernate until this books comes out
    Lance
    Oct 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: most-anticipated
    Well, fuck. Guess I have a new highly most anticipated release. Small town magic, best friends to lovers, and a tight friend group? Take my money already.
    Mari
    Oct 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: lgbt-tbr
    The Raven Cycle meets Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

What a time to be gay (bi, whatever).
    Starr ❇✌❇
    I recieved an ARC from Edelweiss
    TW: Homophobia, hate speech, cults, parental abuse
    4.6
    Sam's senior year is already looking more precarious than he'd planned- his friendship with James, best friend and long term crush, crossed a line during the summer they haven't been able to talk about, and the latter is now acting completely strange, and The Fascinators, the magic club that's always consisted of just the three of them, suddenly has a new member. And still all of that begins to shrink when
    Liz
    TAKE MY MONEY!
    Jyothirmayee _jo
    Sep 26, 2019 marked it as anticipated-books
    Gay and love and MAGIC!!!
    Never did I ever add a book this fast into my "want-to-read" list!!

Can I read this book, already....
    Amy
    Sep 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: lgbtq, 2020
    wow, this cover is everything!

gay
    dark magic
    The Raven Boys meets Love, Simon

and you're telling me I have to wait MONTHS?!
    rachel ☾
    ◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blog Goodreads Twitter Instagram The Book Depository
    Līga Sproģe
    Jan 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
    14/01/20

"pitched as The Raven Boys meets Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda"

y'all trying to kill me??
    Bookevin
    Mar 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
    GIVE THIS TO ME NOW.
    j.chestnut
    Sep 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I haven't read the Raven Boys yet, I know, but I heard Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda and I am HERE!
    K Roma
    Dec 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
    The Raven Bo....SAY NO MORE!
    Veronika
    Sep 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I hit Want To Read as soon as I read "The Raven Boys meets Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" :D
    Vi ✨ being infinite
    Oct 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I mean ,who isn't pumped for gay romance? Not me. Also is it only me who thinks the guy in the cover looks hella like Troye Sivan?
    TJ
    Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Lets be clear the cover for this book is BEAUTIFUL, one of the best Ive ever seen. The premise sounds brilliant; a mix of Simon vs. and Raven Boys? Should be an instant knockout! In other hands, this book could have reached its full potential, but the lack of competent writing was apparent from the very beginning. This book has some of the most juvenile prose Ive read in a while; it reads like it was meant to be first person, but then switched lazily late in the editing process to third. The ...more
    Abby Mathews
    Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Recommended to Abby by: Terri LeBlanc
    I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC, and I was tickled pink to read it. It had a bit of a slow start, but once the story revved up, I had a hard time putting it down. As a former high school teacher, I could see so many of my students' experiences reflected in this book. I was charmed by the idea that everyone possesses magic, but not everyone is brave enough to use it. It was an incredible first YA book, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from Eliopulos in the future!
    biconique
    Oct 13, 2019 marked it as priority-reading
    "the raven boys plus simon vs the homo sapiens agenda"
    breaking news: everyone found dead in miami
    Megan Lyons
    Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
    2 1/2 stars

This was one of those books that I feel had the potential to be better. I think it could have used a bit more tinkering and editing. It did have some good ideas and set up, but it never really all came together. I found myself enjoying it at times, both the high school drama elements, and the magic plot, but it lacked details and polish. I did like the way that the towns bigoted views on magic acted as a metaphor for their beliefs about LBGTQ rights, and there were some good moments.
    « previous 1 3 next »

• Stay Gold
    • I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter
    • How to Be Remy Cameron
    • The Falling in Love Montage
    • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
    • Reverie
    • The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
    • The Black Flamingo
    • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
    • The Deep & Dark Blue
    • Dark and Deepest Red
    • Cry Silver Bells

Articles featuring this book

While we usually think of fall and Halloween as the time for spooky books, witchy teens are undeniably having a major moment right now. No fewer...