Start by marking “The Fascinators” as Want to Read:
The Fascinators

The Fascinators

A magic-infused YA novel about friendship, first love, and feeling out of place that will bewitch fans of Rainbow Rowell and Maggie Stiefvater.

Living in a small town where magic is frowned upon, Sam needs his friends James and Delia—and their time together in their school's magic club—to see him through to graduation.

But as soon as senior year starts, little cracks in the
Published May 12th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Fascinators, please sign up.
Patricia Burroughs The publisher is the only one who can bring out a Portuguese edition, and publishers don't read Goodreads. Your 2-star rating hurts the book, because …moreThe publisher is the only one who can bring out a Portuguese edition, and publishers don't read Goodreads. Your 2-star rating hurts the book, because only readers will see it. I'm not suggesting you change it. I'm just letting you know, in case you don't.

Also, you can find HarperTeen [the publisher] on Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/harperteen/] and Twitter [@ harper teen]. You could ask there if Portuguese editions are in the works, and let them know there is a demand!

Also, Andrew Eliopulos has a contact form on his webpage. You could let him know directly, and he can let his editor know! Good luck! I love this book and hope it gets translated so more readers and enjoy it! http://andreweliopulos.com/contact(less)
Skylyn Nicole Just finished this book! Definitely more subtle/sweet romance- lots of the quick back and forth teasing you get in Red, White, and Royal Blue while be…moreJust finished this book! Definitely more subtle/sweet romance- lots of the quick back and forth teasing you get in Red, White, and Royal Blue while being not at all sexual. The romance isn’t so much the focal point of this book though, as it is a thing that’s happening while other things build the main storyline (kind of like all the romances in Harry Potter). And a little bit of both magic wise? It’s more that everyone can wield magic in different ways, so some use it for good and some for bad and some just in daily life. Would definitely recommend giving it a read :)(less)

Start your review of The Fascinators
Kai
Sep 26, 2019 marked it as maybe
Shelves: to-buy, queer
A bitch cried when it said Love, Simon meets The Raven Boys
A bitch is me, I’m the bitch
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
How am I supposed to keep my fingers away from this when they have the audacity to mention "The Raven Boys" and "Simon vs." in one sentence?!?

The answer is: I'm not supposed to! *lol*

This book goes straight to my TBR and I really hope that it will be able to keep its promise!
This sounds exactly like a book I'd love to read and I'm so here for it!

"Give it to me baby.... " *sings and walks away*
Hamad
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“If you believe it, you can achieve it,” Denver said, ridiculously. “That’s like the number-one rule of magic.”

★ Every year there is a YA LGBT book that many readers anticipate and this year it is going to be this one! I was excited when I was approved for an E-ARC of this in exchange of an honest review. I had high expectations for this one (I mean look at the fascinating cover!!!) because it is pitched as The Raven Boys meets Simon vs. t
Cassie
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I HEARD SIMON VS + THE RAVEN BOYS AND CAME RUNNING

-----------

update 1/4/2020:
the ONLY good thing to come out of today, is Edelweiss approving me for an e-ARC of this ksnvjdnfvjdfdf

thank you, edelweiss, you are my true savior today!!!

—————

Initial Thoughts:
This very much reminded me of The Raven Boys, but it still is its own thing. The ending was cute, but I’m convinced there will be a sequel. Too many questions that didn’t get answered in this book.

----------

Actual Review:
I'm actually gi
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
gays just really get the best covers and it's exactly what we deserve ...more
C.G. Drews
I've decided I'm absolutely in love with this style of book: it's contemporary in everything except...there's also magic and everyone can do it (with varying degrees of success) but it still has all the winsome lovely qualities of a contemporary and focuses on friendship and queer identity and growing up and growing apart. And my soul maybe cried a little bit. Friendships that stretch and grow, snap and reattach, are honestly one of my favourite things to read about. This book hurt, but it was a ...more
Iris
Apr 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
I heard gay and I was here for it, and then I heard dark magic and now I'm even more here for it. ...more
Nataliya
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
In the world of crazy quarantines sometimes I want something sweet and nice — so I guess this book was supposed to be my relaxed version of Quarantine Brain indulgence. I suspected that I’m too old and cynical and jaded for it but I persevered hoping to get some much-needed warm fuzzies out of it.

And no, it’s definitely not bad. It’s a perfectly okay and serviceable. It’s sweet and often funny and quite cute — but that is also its downfall. Because sometimes you need to have some teeth and bite
Larry H
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Fascinators is a poignant story about being true to yourself, secrets, the often-confusing line between friendship and love, and magic.

Maybe we’re all under someone else’s spell.

Sam, James, and Delia are best friends, and the three members of their high school’s magic club. Each of them has some magical skill, and in their small, conservative Georgia town they’re looked at as freaks, especially Sam, who is openly gay on top of it all.

As they enter their senior year, things among the frie
tappkalina
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt-read, 2-star
19 October 2020

What a disappointment.

It still has my favorite cover ever, but the story was a mess and the endgame romance was out of nowhere and really underdeveloped. Could have used a couple more rounds of edit.

Also, why did I think this will be a best friends to lovers?

11 August 2020

It turned out to be the total opposite of what I thought this book will be, and wanted it to be. Right now I don't even know how to feel about it.

19 October 2019

Simon vs. (my all time favorite book) meets The Rav
Emma
May 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'm so disappointed by this read, I had really high hopes for this one and saying that they weren't met would be the understatement of the year. I won't go into the details of the flimsy plot of this book, but for me it all really was trite and flat.
The magic system, if that's what you want to call it, was basically nonexistent and definitely not explained properly. The pacing was way off, sometimes extremely slow and sometimes too fast. What drove me nuts the most was probably how these charac
zee reads
May 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
it really should be a sin for a book to be so beautiful on the outside but so bland on the inside 😞😬

the fascinators had so much untapped potential, and that's probably the most frustrating aspect of this book. after a summer of growing distant from each other, a trio of best friends gets mixed up with a shady/cult-like group of other magic users during their senior year? sounds amazing, and it would have been pretty neat if this was further developed and allowed to be the main source of conflict
Lauren Lanz
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 4-stars
Quick and engaging all the way through, The Fascinators was a really fun to read novel! Although it doesn't bring anything new to the table, what was delivered was definitely enjoyable.

This novel follows Sam and his best friends James and Delia as they navigate magic in a town that shuns it. The trio have started a magic club during their freshman year and have been the only members up until now, their senior year. Up until now, when Sam is falling in love with James, when James steals something
rachel ☾
this promised to be love, simon x the raven boys and it have me those exact vibes

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
Mara YA Mood Reader
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle-owned
11/26/2020: $2.99 on Kindle US today! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍁!!

12/18/2019: I read The Raven Boys meets....and didn’t even need to read the rest before my thumb slapped that Want TO Read button
HeatherH
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This was very wrongly marketed to fans of Rainbow Rowell and Maggie Stiefvater.... Not that I went into it really expecting it to live up to the magic that is Stiefvater, but I was still left underwhelmed. The magic system wasn't fleshed out well at all leaving me still feeling like I know nothing about it. The characters were ok but never delved into deep enough for me to be uber attached or invested in them. And there was really zero chemistry between any of the possible love interests. It was ...more
Inkslinger
The Fascinators by Andrew Eliopulos

ARC provided by HarperCollins and Andrew Eliopulos via Edelweiss+. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

"I've always loved this volatile quality that magic has. This ability to create meaning and defy meaning. To be real and not real. That's how it feels when you're waiting for your life to start and yet somehow, impossibly, having to live it at the same time." -- Andrew Eliopulos

05-12: It's strange, give me a book and tell me there's
nat
May 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: arc, 2020, reviewed
This book could have had it all with its LGBT representation and eccentric magical contemporary fantasy setting, but it really did not deliver at that front. And it's set in Georgia—I live in Georgia. Well, what would you expect with a book pitched as For fans of Rainbow Rowell and Maggie Stiefvater (wildly popular white cishet female authors with books which are hailed as the epitomy of gay modern literature, but no. They're not. Please stop it.)...

I think the thing about The Fascinators is jus
Rach
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
We start off the book with three friends Sam, James and Delia who are seniors and part of the Friedman High Fascinators club which is a club for magic.

Each have the their own problems in life, James has a abusive dad, Delia family has no money and Sam doesn’t know where he stands with James.

Their magic club is still working for now and even gets a new member Denver who may have a crush on Sam.

James steals a book from a group who are practicing dark magic which leads to trouble for our group.
Rebeca
Jun 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I had high hopes for this book, but it just fell short for me in everything. The world building was weak and didn't give enough details for me to understand how the magic in this town worked. A lot of the time that magic was performed it left me thinking, "oh, so that's a thing that you can do.. great"

I don't know but James was a horrible character to read about, he was selfish to his friends and such a troublemaker for absolutely no reason, dragging his friends in his messes didn't earn him an
Andrea Valeska
Apr 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Okay, so.... The Raven Cycle meets Simons vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda???
This is everything I never knew I needed.

description
Christian
May 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: released-2020
I don't remember the last time I read a book that left me this unsatisfied. At the end, I actually went back and checked that I hadn't missed a chapter because it never actually showed the confrontation between the main character and his best friend, which was basically the underlying plot point of the whole story? Like, I thought that was the core of this book? That was what I cared about most??

The plot aside from that relationship sadly wasn't compelling enough to make up for other shortcoming
Flora⁷ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020
"The Raven Boys meets Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" ... the MC is queer, its set in a small town and people do magic ... this is where the similarities between "The Fascinators" and "Love Simon/The Raven Boys" end ...

This reads like a cliché high school rom-com with magic, which sounds intriguing, but the execution wasn't done well ... :( Now i'm sad, i was so excited for this :(
Kate
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
There were many enjoyable things about The Fascinators, but it was riddled with many problems as well.
The friendships were good. The magical system and how it is integrated into our society was interesting, but the plot felt half baked and the ending didn't seem solid and the plot's build was anti-climactic.
I was disappointed in the romance. It felt forced and I wasn't really sure if there was any at the end. I am left with many questions so I'm unsure if this is a standalone.
Also, wit
Harishma
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read
tim
May 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2020
dnf at 70%.
i’m. so. disappointed. i’ve been waiting for this book for so long and i really, really wanted to like it, but it was mediocre at best.
the characters were shallow and had no reason at all - it’s as if someone sat down and thought, “i have that brief idea for a book, now i will write it and hopefully the characters develop themselves somewhere along the way.” but they didn’t. they barely had any personality and to be honest, even though i read it today, i don’t even remember their name
TJ
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Let’s be clear— the cover for this book is BEAUTIFUL, one of the best I’ve ever seen. The premise sounds brilliant; a mix of Simon vs. and Raven Boys? Should be an instant knockout! In other hands, this book could have reached its full potential, but the lack of competent writing was apparent from the very beginning. This book has some of the most juvenile prose I’ve read in a while; it reads like it was meant to be first person, but then switched lazily late in the editing process to third. The ...more
Giulia
"The thing about practicing magic in Friedman, Georgia, was that you never knew who was going to hate you for it."

TW: homophobia, abuse

Actual rating: 2.5 ⭐️

What to say about The Fascinators?
I can say that, overall, I was not impressed.

This was, in a way, a knocked-down version of the majestic atmosphere present in The Raven Cycle mixed in with the easy contemporary and LGBTQ+ vibes of Simon VS., so the blurb was not misleading.
It was just nothing groundbreaking, in my opinion.

But let’s start t
Carlee
May 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Vee
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who think it's cool to steal other people's books
Wordpress Blog | Twitter

This cover is incredible (and one of my favourites this year) but unfortunately the story didn't live up to the hype. I felt that every character in the friend group was horrible to everyone else except for new boy Denver - Sam for not caring about his friend's issues, Delia because *gestures at the entire book* and James, for not just sitting down and telling his friend whether he was interested in him or not.

Without dropping major spoilers, this book was clearly the sta

• I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter
  • The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
  • Cry Silver Bells
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • The Gravity of Us
  • We Are Totally Normal
  • The State of Us
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • In the Dream House
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Alexander the Great: His Life and His Mysterious Death
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • Undergrowth
  • A Golden Fury
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities, #1)
  • This Town Sleeps

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to treat yourself to new book this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our...
“...meant he resented his own life too much to make safer decisions, starting with the drinks that night but only snow-balling from there. Because it never occurred to James that there were people who cared about him so much that it hurt. Or maybe because James knew about these people, and that only made the pressure worse.” 1 likes