Start by marking “Snow, Glass, Apples” as Want to Read:
Snow, Glass, Apples

Snow, Glass, Apples

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  4,906 ratings  ·  1,188 reviews

From the Hugo, Bram Stoker, Locus, World Fantasy, Nebula Award-winning and Sund
Published August 27th 2019 by Headline (first published August 20th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Snow, Glass, Apples, please sign up.
Sean Thorniley Yael, this is the first Published edition of 'Snow Glass Apples' as the chapbook from Dreamhaven Books. It is available in a variety of places and edi…moreYael, this is the first Published edition of 'Snow Glass Apples' as the chapbook from Dreamhaven Books. It is available in a variety of places and editions with most having the same text, save for the audio play text is slightly different and was printed by Biting Dog Press. This is more of "collectors" edition of the story. If you have not listened to 'Two plays for Voice', which is this story {as well as 'Murder Mysteries'} read by Bebe Neuwirth and it is fantastic! (less)

·  4,906 ratings  ·  1,188 reviews

Start your review of Snow, Glass, Apples
Anne
I've read the short story and I've listened to the amazing audio version, but now (thanks to Hoopla's COVID-19 bonus borrows) I've also read the graphic novel version of Snow, Glass, Apples.
If you like creepy renditions of fairy tales, then this is the story for you.

description

And the art is just fantastic. Loved it!
The gist is that the Grimm Brothers got it wrong and that neither the Wicked Queen nor Snow White was quite what they seemed.
And Prince Charming? (view spoiler)
Charlotte May
Very weird. Very creepy.

Think it might be my least favourite by Gaiman. Sorry Neil.

There's not many things in the book world I don't like, I have my preferences, but generally I'll read anything. But one thing I've never been a fan of, and probably never will be, is vampires. Don't ask me why because I couldn't really say why, but as narratives and plots go, I don't like them.

I can see what Neil was trying to do, it just wasn't for me. Nude illustrations and Snow White as a blood sucking vampi
Mischenko
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Mild spoilers-

This Snow White retelling is totally reimagined and nothing like the original. In Neil Gaiman’s adaptation, Snow White isn’t the little innocent sweetheart we all know, but rather some type of blood-sucking monster. In addition, this retelling is told from the not-so-evil queen’s point of view…

Chad
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A delightfully distorted twist on the Snow White tale. Snow White and the Evil Queen's roles are reversed with Snow White becoming a vampire that plagues the Queen's kingdom. Colleen Doran's art is gorgeous, giving the book a classic storybook look. There is a bit of erotica here so be warned. This is my favorite graphic adaptation of Gaiman's short stories yet.
David Schaafsma
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Her eyes were black as coal, black as her hair; her lips were redder than blood. She looked up at me and smiled. Her teeth seemed sharp, even then, in the lamplight.”

"Snow, Glass, Apples" is a story from Neil Gaiman's collection, Smoke and Mirrors It is adapted here in spectacular fashion by Colleen Doran who—in a fascinating and useful appendix—says she was inspired in her work by an early-20th-century illustrator, Harry Clarke. The illustration work is ornate, romantic, a combination of fanta
Michelle
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaiman, graphic-novel
“Skin white as snow, lips red as blood, and hair black as ebony.”

-- The Brothers Grimm, Sneewittchen

The above quote does seem like a description of a vampire...

It never crossed my mind that Snow White could actually be a vampire until Neil Gaiman made it seem like canon with this retelling. In typically topsy-turvy Gaiman fashion, “Snow, Glass, Apples” portrays a not-so-evil queen desperately trying to stop her wicked step-daughter’s “happily ever after” that was never supposed to be. Stopping
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

🌟 I love dark retellings, I specially like them of fairy tales from my childhood, because as a kid I wanted something fluffy and positive, I grow up and find that the world is a dark place and so flipping those stories is fascinating!

🌟 This is an adult graphic novel as it contain some explicit scenes and gore and it is dark! I can’t say much about the writing because I read the graphic novel version and that reminds me that I sho
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“If it were today, I would have her heart cut out, true. But then I would have her head and arms and legs cut off. I would have them disembowel her. And then I would watch, in the town square, as the hangman heated the fire to white-heat with bellows, watch unblinking as he consigned each part of her to the fire. I would have archers around the square, who would shoot any bird or animal who came close to the flames, any raven or dog or hawk or rat. And I would not close my eyes until the princes ...more
Ashley Daviau
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE best Snow White retelling I’ve ever read by far! It’s such a gruesome and unique take on one of my favourite fairytales and I couldn’t have loved it more. It was such an awesome spin on Snow White, it had me hooked right from the first page and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to see how dark Gaiman would take it. And it got pretty damn dark and I absolutely lapped it up! At this point I’m convinced that Gaiman has made a pact with the devil to just consistently churn out master ...more
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
***This review is the residual product of me loving the novel, composing an amazing review on it (in Goodreads) and a glitch on the site not letting me save it and it getting lost in the abyss due to 'the title not existing' apparently as per GR!!!! - I'm a dumb... for composing it directly on the Goodreads site vs in word, where I usually write my reviews first to ensure THIS does not happen!!! Grrr.***

Amazing illustrations!

I don't want to say that I am becoming a fan of Neil Gaiman's work, but
Trish
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short story by one of my favourite authors that I‘ve known for a while. But now, finally, it is getting an illustrated edition and I couldn‘t be happier about it!

For those who don‘t know yet: this is a retelling of the classic fairytale Snow White. As some of us might have suspected for a while, the little princess isn‘t as innocent as she liked people to believe. I mean, just the description of what she looked like ...
Here‘s the deal: (view spoiler). I does mak
Lata
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely stunning, gorgeous and ever so slightly evocative of stained glass images—the artwork by Coleen Doran beautifully complements and adds another dimension to Neil Gaiman’s horror version of Snow White.
Jenny Lawson
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Beautifully illustrated.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was poking around Hoopla and found a number of “bonus borrows” that don’t count against the monthly allotment. I was drawn to this Neil Gaiman retelling of Snow White, very chilling, with gorgeous artwork based on the style of a Harry Clarke.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
although I knew this was Snow White retelling, for some reason I wasn't expecting anything this dark and macabre 😂nor did I expect the mild vampiric influences. It reminded me of the work of Angela Carter, especially her short story The Snow Child. Frankly, this may not be my favourite Gaiman story, but the one aspect I did really like was the fact that the stepmother was the narrator and that she wasn't the 'evil' one.

Certainly not one for younger readers, but it is an quick read with a lovely
Teresa
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of retelling I love: original, grisly elements intact but told from the viewpoint of a character that twists the tale into something different. An element of characterization (I won’t give it away though it’s obvious by page eight) adds another genre to the tale, not one I usually care for, though with Gaiman I’m usually okay with it.

Not only is the story well-told, the art is gorgeous and elevates the story even further. My only quibbles are due to my preference for meaning in
Michael Sorbello
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: A chilling fantasy retelling of the Snow White fairy tale by bestselling creators Neil Gaiman and Colleen Doran. A not-so-evil queen is terrified of her monstrous stepdaughter and determined to repel this creature and save her kingdom from a world where happy endings aren't so happily ever after.

Review: This version of Snow White turns things around, transforming the wicked stepmother into a tortured soul trying desperately to protect her husband and kingdom while the bedazzling Snow W
Konstantin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fabulous art - loved the peasants' kitchen scene - and a very good story. I was truly impressed by this book, despite some occasional qualms (this and this review highlight them - there are lots of these examples in the book which could easily fit into the "Men Writing Women" subreddit).

Despite that, I'd love to see this author/illustrator pair collaborate again in the future, and I heartily recommend reading this graphic novel - although you'll need to do some expectation managing, as there's
Devann
actual rating: 2.5

If I was rating the short story I probably would have rounded down, but I'm rating the new graphic novel and the art was absolutely gorgeous so I decided to round up. I guess the story isn't awful either but today it just kind of reads like edgy bullshit for the sake of edgy bullshit. I'm sure 'what if Snow White was a vampire' was a much more original thought back in 1995 but today it just kind of makes me roll my eyes. Also I really don't see why he felt it was necessary to i
Amanda
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The highly detailed illustrations are so gorgeous and right up my alley, and I loved the creepy twist on the Snow White story.
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognisable after a snowfall - that is what she has made of my life.’
~
Neil Gaiman does it again! I have no idea how this author manages to surprise, delight, shock and have me completely captivated in almost every book or graphic novel I’ve read of his so far.

Snow, Glass, Apples is a dark gothic horror retelling of Snow White. Originally a short story by Neil Gaiman, this version brings h
Ilana
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a stunning book! The artwork by Colleen Doran is sumptuous, detailed and rich. As she says in a section at the end of the book reserved for her notes, she was strongly influenced by Harry Clarke’s work. He was the leader of the Irish Arts & Crafts movement at the turn of the last century. His style is reminiscent of Audrey Beardsley.

I’m all the more impressed that the drawings were all drawn and coloured entirely by hand, which, if you see the complexity of each page, is rather astonishing
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

Oh, this… This was brilliant, twisted and dark. I love Neil Gaiman for a reason, and the way he takes the traditional story of Snow White and flips it so that it is a disturbing version of the tale is awe-inspiring.

This is definitely a story I would recommend to anyone who loves to read creepy and dark stories with cruelty woven in seamlessly.

And above all, it’s very entertaining.

Vivian
Wasn't quite expecting that. This book is labelled horror, but it is also erotic. This is not a YA book by any stretch of the imagination. Think of Anne Roquelaure's The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty and while Gaiman's Troll Bridge had a disturbing sexual undercurrent it is leagues more tame than this.

That said, the illustrations were gorgeous. Very Art Nouveau and the artist Collen Doran has some interesting notes at the end. While I enjoyed it, sumptuous, I honestly not sure how I feel about th
Ctgt
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Gaiman take on Snow White was originally published to support the CBLDF.
It falls into the recent trend of adult retellings of fairy tales.
What really makes this pop is the art by Colleen Doran. Intricate and detailed, at times the art reminds you of a stained glass window. The style worked so well that I was really immersed in the world and story.

9/10
Hannah
I was definitely a fan of illustrator Colleen Doran's richly detailed art nouveau style, but the story itself rubbed me the wrong way.

In particular, it gave me the same gross vibes as in The Last Wish where the narrator was very clear that oh yes, that pre-pubescent child is a slut, alright. She definitely wanted TeH sEx. In this case, she was six.

Supposedly, this is because Snow White is a vampire and the prince is a necrophiliac, but yuck.
Sans
Gorgeously illustrated and simply told. Creeped the shite out of me.
Yoda
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anything by Neil Gaiman is my favorite so it wasn´t shocking that I adore this book! It is such a great spin on the classic Snow White!
Marta
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The art in this slim volume is absolutely stunning: tall art nouveau panels with rich ornamentation, stark contours, vivid colors and dark contrasting panels, a beautifully dreamy flow, gorgeous decorative lines, hair, dramatic flair, scenes flowing into each other without the usual borders. It is worth reading just for the art.

See image (for some reason html does not work for me):

The story on the other hand did not do much for me. Gaiman reimagines the st
Dakota Morgan
Vintage Neil Gaiman twisted fairy tale paired with eye-catching art from Colleen Doran. Unfortunately, the play on Snow White is more confusing than intriguing, although there are some good, dark moments. Doran's art is often gorgeous, but it can distract from the story. Not the best graphic adaptation of a Gaiman short story; not the worst.
I Read Comic Books: September 2020 BotM - Snow, Glass, Apples 11 27 Sep 27, 2020 08:06PM

• Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • The Sleeper and the Spindle
  • Giant Days, Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Likely Stories
  • Sailor Moon: Eternal Edition 1
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11 (Giant Days, #11)
  • Batman: Damned #1 (of 3)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Two
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Pay the Piper (A Rock 'n' Roll Fairy Tale, #1)
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show : The Comic Book
  • A Taste of Sage
  • My Story
  • The 100 Best African American Poems
  • American Journal: Fifty Poems for Our Time
  • The Making of the Umbrella Academy
  • From the Fishouse: An Anthology of Poems that Sing, Rhyme, Resound, Syncopate, Alliterate, and Just Plain Sound Great