Start by marking “The Road to Cromer Pier” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Road to Cromer Pier

Martin Gore

The Road to Cromer Pier

Janet’s first love arrives out of the blue after thirty years. Those were simpler times for them both. Sunny childhood beach holidays, fish and chips and big copper pennies clunking into one-armed bandits. The Wells family has run the Cromer Pier Summertime Special Show for generations.

But it’s now 2009 and the recession is biting hard. Owner Janet Wells and daughter Kare
Published June 29th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Cromer Pier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Cromer Pier

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Tourists. Bloody tourists. I’ve been doing this show for 30-odd years and I swear they get worse. That child today. I swear he’s been to an Al-Qaeda training camp. ADHD his parents said.

‘You know she has a reputation for the drink. What were you thinking of?’ ‘I know she does, but her agent insisted she had dried out.’ Karen laughed. ‘Let’s just say that she might have been dry at one time, but the tide came in this morning.’

The fat lady wasn’t singing, but she was certainly warm
Melissa
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a feeling going into The Road to Cromer Pier that I would connect with the story, and I was not wrong. A theatre brat myself, I miss the days when I got to live and breathe musicals, and when life revolved around rehearsals and performances. That this novel also had a coastal setting only increased it’s worth. If it had come with a barista delivering lattes and chocolate croissants every three chapters, it could not have been more perfectly designed for my tastes.

But preferences alone are
Fany van  hemelen
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a thoughtful and lovely book about the life at the Pier Cromer Theatre!

This story is such a wonderful tale about how life at the Pier Cromer Theatre in the past was.
When the economy is in a recession and many businesses have problems we got to know Les and Janet and their artists. When Janet has no other choice she has to make a deal to save her precious place but will this really be the end for the shows?

I loved the story because the realistic characters with good attitudes and their mi
Lis Carey
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, fiction, mystery
This is the story of a struggling theater on the Norfolk coast of England.

The Wells family has owned the theater for generations, and Janet Wells is the current owner. They run a variety show, the Cromer Pier Summertime Special, every year, and it's always a success for them.

Now, though, they're in the second year of the Great Recession, and everyone is struggling. They can't afford the same level of performers they would normally be recruiting. Everyone on the permanent staff is taking a 5% sal
Stacey Woods
Jun 17, 2019
Courtney Perry
marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2019
I am a 59 year old Accountant who semi-retired to explore my love of creative writing. In my career I held Board level jobs for over twenty five years, in private, public and third sector organisations. I was born in Coventry, a city then dominated by the car industry and high volume manufacturing. Jaguar, Triumph, Talbot, Rolls Royce, Courtaulds, Massey Ferguson were the major employers, to name ...more