Start by marking “The Janes (Alice Vega #2)” as Want to Read:
The Janes (Alice Vega #2)

The Janes

(Alice Vega #2)

The electric follow-up to Louisa Luna's acclaimed thriller Two Girls Down, featuring private investigators Alice Vega and Max Caplan.

On the outskirts of San Diego, the bodies of two young women are discovered. They have no names, no IDs, and no family looking for them. Fearing the possibility of a human trafficking ring, the police and FBI reach out to Alice Vega, a
Published January 21st 2020 by Doubleday

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Janes by Louisa Luna
    The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)
    Release date: Jan 21, 2020

On the outskirts

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 4060 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 09 - Feb 08, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Janes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Janes

Start your review of The Janes (Alice Vega #2)
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    OMG! One of my favorite controversial, entertaining, smart couple is back! I’m not making my happy dance for celebration! I already hired Shakira and JLo perform for me before their Super Bowl Halftime show! I’m just clapping my hands and sipping my Chablis.

Yes, they are really back! I’m talking about one of the unique investigators Alice Vega, positions herself in the handstand every morning to think more clearly, doesn’t bother to get stoned during her interrogation, kicking asses of the
    Debra
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley

Alice Vega and her partner, Max "Cap” Caplan, are back (so is the Bastard, btw)! I LOVED the first book in this series Two Girls Down and was so excited to see what Louisa Luna had up her sleeve next for this duo.

The police and FBI reach out to Alice Vega when two bodies of teenage girls are discovered outside of San Diego. The young women are believed to be the victims of a sex trafficking ring. Alice Vega, a private investigator, is known for finding missing people and she is asked to
    megs_bookrack
    HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY TO THE JANES!!!

So stoked to finally be back with Vega and Cap!!!
    Let's solve a mystery!

Original:

ARC received!!!
    Thank you, Doubleday Books.

You are too kind.

Liz
    Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Two Girls Down grabbed me from the beginning so I was excited to see Luna’s second in the series. Alice Vega seems a little calmer this go around. And Cap is just happy to have a chance to work with her again.

Alice is brought in to help the police after two unidentified dead girls are found. It would appear they’re the victims of a human trafficking ring. It’s also possible the women were undocumented.

Alice is not the warm cuddly type. In fact, she’s a real hard a**. Even though she’s been
    Lori Lamothe
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Alice Vega is a smart, tough, no-nonsense PI called in to investigate the death of two young Jane Does found outside San Diego. The Janes have no ID and nothing to help identify them, but one of the dead girls does hold something of interest. In her small hand is a crumpled piece of paper with a name scrawled across it: Alice Vega. The DEA isn't sure about Vega or her ex-cop partner Max “Cap” Caplan, but they like the idea that Alice has a reputation for getting things done. Ten grand in cash to ...more
    Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
    OMG! I cannot even tell you how much I loved this!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Even though I have never read about Vega and Cap before, I can honestly say that I am addicted. So much so that I have already purchased the first book so I can get to know them from the beginning.

This is the first time I’ve read this author and I absolutely love the characters that she has created. Vega and Cap are two opposites that know how to work together and do their work a wee bit, okay, pretty far outside of legal
    Tami
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Don’t start this book unless you have a free day ahead of you, because once you start reading, you won’t want to put it down! It’s exciting from start to finish.

Private investigators Alice Vega and Max Caplan team up once again to help with an FBI investigation. Almost immediately they uncover some serious clues into the deaths of two young girls. Then, inexplicably, they are told to cease their investigation, which only makes them more determined to see it through.

This story was one wild ride
    Arpita Shrivastava
    Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    The Police and FBI approach Alica Vega, a private investigator who has the reputation to find the missing when they discover the bodies of two teenage girls in the outskirts of San Diego. These found bodies have no names, no known IDs, and nobody looking for them. there is a possibility of a human trafficking ring.

This was my first Louisa Luna book. I am impressed by her style of writing. This was an amazing, captivating and engaging book. The characters are well established and the author has
    OutlawPoet
    Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Sometimes you read a book that you simply don’t want to put down. This is one of those books.

Oh, it’s not going to be for everyone. We have heavy themes of sex trafficking of minors, immigration, and just what sometimes happens to children in cages. But we also have two terrific main characters, supporting characters to root for, and a whole host of villains that need their comeuppance.

It’s just a fast-paced, thrill ride of a book.

This is actually the 2nd book in the series, but it works as a
    ☕️Kimberly
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    What makes this series stand apart are PI Alice Vega and disgraced former cop, Max Caplan. The two make the perfect team. Smart, thoughtful, witty, and unique these two made me laugh, cringe, drop my jaw, cheer and smile like a fool.

Now the case they tackle is dark begins with the murder of two young Jane Does approx 12 years in age; sex trafficking. Cartel, crook agents and more await you in this suspenseful thriller. Through it all Alice and Cap keep their cool and investigate. Professionally
    Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
    This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

Wow! This book was one heck of a roller coaster ride! I was really excited to start reading this book after thoroughly enjoying the first book in the series, Two Girls Down. This book ended up being just as exciting as the first, if not more. It took me a bit to get into the story but once I did, I didn't want to put the book down. This was a really wonderful read.

Alice Vega is a private investigator and is known for solving some
    Jen
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Vega and Cap are back and I am HERE for this dynamic duo! I love the camaraderie between these two characters! This was such a fabulous, on the edge of my seat ride! I loved the mystery and the character development. The plot was well paced and gave just enough nuggets to keep me frantically turning pages. This series has become a must read for me and this installment did not disappoint! Thank you to the publisher for the advance reader in exchange for my honest review.
    Bam cooks the books ;-)
    In the second outing featuring Alice Vega and Max Caplan, the pair of private investigators are hired 'off the record' by the San Diego Police Department and DEA to look into the deaths of two young Latina women. The bodies were dumped separately but with similar wounds...and one was clutching a scrap of paper with Vega's name written on it.

Vega and Caplan make a great team even though their styles are so different: "She had a tendency to announce what she was thinking only when it was fully
    Gloria ~ mzglorybe
    Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3+ rounded up to 4.

We first met Alice Vega in Two Girls Down. She is a kick-ass bounty hunter with a good reputation for being one of the best at what she does.

This time it’s two Jane Does, Jane One and Jane Two. Alice is called in by DEA to San Diego/El Centro area in SoCal to consult on a case of two young Latino girls in the morgue who appear to be the victims of violent drug trafficking. The DEA, FBI and local police are all working on this case but they need her help. They’re willing to
    Mike
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Private Investigator Alice Vega is brought in as a special consultant when two unidentified teen girls (Jane Does) are found dead on the outskirts of San Diego. She brings along her associate, former police officer Max Caplin, and the two quickly discover that the girls were part of a sex trafficking ring. Now the race is on to find out how many more girls are being held and save them before it's too late.

This is the second novel in a series. It serves fine as a standalone but there are some
    Melanie Jo
    Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I was a little nervous to read this because I didn't realize it was part of a series but this author did a great job with the writing where you don't have to read the first one. I'm definitely going to be if it's just as good as this one. This book is why I love thrillers. So suspenseful and exciting. Great book.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Cat
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    One looping thought: I love Alice Vega. I want to be just like her but since I can’t I want to read more books about her. That sums up how enthralling the lead character of this book is. This is a follow-up book to “Two Girls Down”, which I haven’t read but that didn’t detract from enjoying this novel (although now I HAVE to read the first novel to get my fix).
    Alice Vega is a well-disciplined machine; eating and drinking only to survive, showing minimal facial expressions, with solemn and quiet
    Lisa Davison
    Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This second book in the series about PI Alice Vega is an intriguing mystery that deals with immigration and sex trafficking. Vega is called in by the SDPD and FBI to investigate the murders of two Latina girls with no IDs. Once again, Vega calls her colleague and friend, Cap, to help with the case. As the two of them begin to unravel the tightly woven net of drug cartels and sex traffickers, they discover that it also includes "friends in high places." Just when it seems that the case is coming ...more
    Jen Ryland
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020-arcs
    I am a HUGE fan of Louisa Luna and of the Caplan/Alice Vega duo. The cases they take on are tough and usually involve violence against women. (This one involved the trafficking of underage girls.)

When Vega gets hired by the police to investigate a pair of murders she gets in touch with Caplan and asks him to fly to San Diego and join her on the case. Soon they both start to suspect that something very strange is going on.

Their relationship is so perfect - Vega is so competent and
    Missi  Gwartney
    Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Two unidentified females bodies are found dead outside San Diego and no missing persons report has been filed matching the girls description. With no leads and no extra man power, the decision is made to hire a consultant to quickly wrap up the case and move on to the next. Alice Vega, a private investigator, with a well known reputation for locating missing persons is called in. With the help of her former partner (and ex-cop) Maxwell Caplan, along with her sometimes unorthodox methods, the ...more
    Lori
    Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Louisa Luna who are you dear and why haven’t we heard more about you? “The Janes” - book two in the Alice Vega thrillers - was just OUTSTANDING! It literally kept me up most of the night (on a work night) because I couldn’t put it down. This was a rocking rollercoaster full of nonstop action and a heart pounding pace. Vega and Cap are back at it again and she is kicking ass and taking names. The best thriller I’ve read in a long, long time. Bravo!

Coming your way from @Doubledaybooks January
    Darcia Helle
    The Janes is gritty crime fiction at its best.

I'll tell you what I loved about this book: everything!

I have no complaints. Not even a minor grumble. This book gave me everything I wanted and then some.

Louisa Luna knows how to weave a masterful story. She gives us a complex plot that we unravel as the investigation moves along. The topic is current, insightful, and relevant, and it's delivered with a razor's edge.

Alice Vega is a badass rebel. She gets things done her way, rules and laws be
    Renee (The B-Roll)
    I devoured this book as soon as I got it and literally loved every moment of it. First, I love the duo of Alice and Cap and how well they work together to solve the case of found deceased girls without identification. I also enjoyed that Cap and Alice demonstrate how a man and woman can work together perfectly without any problems. Not to mention it is so nice to read a book with a strong female lead, especially in a male-dominated profession. Alice’s perspectives and experiences really enhance ...more
    Whitney
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction, mystery
    Here’s one of my first reads of 2020 Thank you for the free book @doubledaybooks.

Somehow I missed Luna’s first novel featuring kick-a** private eye Alice Vega and her ex-cop partner Cap. But I’m so glad I’m catching up now. Vega is called in by the San Diego police to investigate a potential sex trafficking ring, after two teen girls show up dead with eerily similar evidence. But they’re paying her under the table, and she soon discover they have other reasons for keeping her involvement on
    WeLoveBigBooksAndWeCannotLie
    Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Janes by Louisa Luna...what can I say other than WOW. This is my kind of book! We won this book when Casey entered @doubledaybooks sweepstakes through @bookishhq!!! How cool is that?!? The release date for this book is January 21, 2020. This is a suspenseful thriller that takes you for a ride! Alice Vega and Max Caplan are hired by the police and the FBI as consultants to find out who killed two young unidentified girls. There are so many layers to this story that it kept me engaged and ...more
    Kat
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    #TheJanes
    Thank you to NetGalley and Double Day Books for the opportunity to read and review The Janes.
    I didn't realize when I requested the book that it was part of a series, but the author does a good job of setting up the book so that you don't have to read the first one if you don't want to. I plan on going back and reading it though. I think that the mystery is well detailed and paced out where you don't lose interest. I like Alice, she is complex and gritty.
    Pamela
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Will be a staff pick when it comes out in January 2020!
    Alice Vega and Max Caplin are a great team, with just the right amounts of intelligence, wit, humor, understanding, and sexual tension between them. Can’t wait for more in the series.
    Brad
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The Janes by Louisa Luna is Book 2 in her Alice Vega series.

"The bodies of two young women are found on the outskirts of San Diego. Nobody knows who they are and no one is looking for them. Fearing their deaths are related to human trafficking the SD police call on Vega help find out who they were and if there are more missing girls. Vega gets her partner, Max Caplan, on board and they start looking. Cartels - brothels - corrupt law enforcement - blackmail and a lot of people that don't want
    Lauren  Tomlinson
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I love Vega and Cap. They are an unlikely, yet perfect pair. They are smart, driven, and play by their own rules. This second book in their series solidifies their relationship and partnership. They trust each other, have each others back and dont lie to each other.
    I loved the writing style and characters of this book. The characters are all unique and have dynamic personalities. I love the story that Luna has crafted.
    The mystery is complex and unpredictable. Not as dark and troubling as their

• The Look-Alike
    • Echoes Between Us
    • You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters
    • The God Game
    • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart #1)
    • Please See Us
    • Good Girls Lie
    • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
    • Big Lies in a Small Town
    • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
    • No Mercy (Ellery Hathaway, #2)
    • The Perfect Mother
    • All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway #3)
    • Hid from Our Eyes
    Louisa Luna is the author of the novels Brave New Girl, Crooked, and Serious As A Heart Attack. She was born and raised in the city of San Francisco and lives in Brooklyn with her husband and daughter.

Alice Vega (2 books)
    • Two Girls Down (Alice Vega #1)