Start by marking “For Emily” as Want to Read:

For Emily

A little dedication goes a long way. That's why Catriona Robinson, the country's favourite children's author, always dedicated her books to those who touched her life the most - not least Emily, her reclusive granddaughter.

Emily never thought too much about these dedications. But when Catriona dies unexpectedly, each one becomes a cryptic clue in a breadcrumb trail that a
Published September 5th 2019 by Orion

Start your review of For Emily
Lou Barber
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katherine Slee has given us something pure and breathtaking in this, her debut novel. I truly adored every word of this amazing book. For Emily, begins with the death of her beloved grandmother, a famous children's author who wrote a series of books about a girl called Ophelia who discovers a magical atlas that transports her all over the globe. Emily tragically lost her parents in a car accident, that also left her severely injured. Losing her beloved grandmother has left her rudderless and ber ...more
Fiction Addition Angela
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Katherine Slee how is this your first book? This story her debut novel was so emotionally charged I felt myself holding my breath in places and marvelling at the words literally bouncing off the pages.
I loved this gentle paced melancholy story about Emily and her beloved Grandma who had recently passed away.
Her Grandmother who was famous over the years creating a series of adventures about a girl called Ophelia and her magical atlas, an atlas that takes children and the readers on adventures aro
Novelle Novels
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5 stars
When you see a book with your name in its title then obviously you are drawn to it. This is about a girl called Emily whose grandmother brings her up after her after a horrible accident and when this strong lady is taken away from Emily because of cancer all she wants to do is hide away. As with all great role models this grandmother has expected this and planned a different journey for Emily and one that will be very challenging but so rewarding. We all take our parents and g
Laurie Booth
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was story was so compelling to read. More so towards the latter chapters. A story of escaping the shackles of societies expectations, inter generational effects of avoidance and coping strategies.

This is a very emotionally evocative novel.

A perfectly constructed, interlaced plot that I found drew my attention as it developed.

I dislike too much scenery or personality description, preferring to allow my own imagination to fill the gaps. This book was spot on.

I highly recommend this novel.
Angela C
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all readers
For Emily

Everyone has decisions to make in life - with hindsight some would be different. Can we be overprotective of those we love? Is it cruel to be kind? Should we put our own needs before others?

As recorded in her diaries, Catriona chooses to live her life following her own desires and impulses regardless of the affect these have on others who love her. The life she chooses for Emily has repercussions which have to be addressed with shock tactics.

Emily has been damaged physically and emotion
Tara
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you read book dedications? I do, always, and quite often they make me wonder about that person, especially if it's just one name or an initial.
It seems to be something Katherine Slee has also pondered, given that her debut, For Emily, centres around a series of cryptic dedications in children’s books written by the title character’s beloved grandmother.
It’s quite a complex story, weaving several plot lines into one, but it is all brought together beautifully.
I really liked the way bruised but
Lisa Porter
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

I absolutely loved this book. It was so imaginative and yet so believable. Thank you for such a delightful read
Fiction Addition Angela
Lucy-Bookworm
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emily has been set a puzzle by her recently deceased grandmother, one she must complete to get her inheritance. She is accompanied on her journey by a childhood friend & in great “quest” tradition, on the way she discovers far more than the answers to the clues, she discovers more about her grandmother, and of course about herself and her future.
I found the start of the book hard going – I think it was because it went straight into the obituary of Catriona Robinson with no context - however once
AtomicBooks
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a really special book.. I think it is the sort of book that will mean so many different things to so many different people for so many different reasons. It reads like a light easy to read book but that would be to underestimate its underlying message. It touches on grief, relationships, family, and love in a really unique and beautiful way but manages to do it without being overly sentimental or with any pity.

This book follows the journey of Emily across Europe as she follows the
Emma
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Glorious!
Gone straight to the top of my best reads for 2020 .

A quest, through the picturesque and the painful, so beautifully depicted and all the while I wished I knew a little duck to take me on adventures and a man like Tyler to come home to and tell about them.
Sue Parker
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a rather unusual book. No need to repeat all the other reviews who have described the premise. Overall I enjoyed the read although got rather bogged down in the middle with the repetitive nature of the 'treasure hunt'. Like many other books, I have to really like (or hate) the characters to engage and I could never really warm to Emily so in the end I wanted to finish the read and move on. The idea is great but the execution a little laboured in my opinion. It deserves 3.5 stars in my op ...more
Jemma Geary
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an emotional rollercoaster of a book. So sad, but heart warming all at the same time. Beautifully written. Totally recommend.
Paula
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing debut novel.

The clever opening sets the scene for a creative, exceptionally well written and engaging story of a young woman rediscovering herself after her grandmother’s death.

Would strongly recommend.
Karen Kingston
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, just wow. This is the 80th book I've read this year (I was furloughed two months ago so I'm reading more than usual) and this is definitely one of my favourite books of the year.

I have a small confession. The main reason I looked at the book on NetGalley was because my own daughter is called Emily. I liked the sound of the synopsis and asked Orion Publishing Group for a digital ARC which I'm delighted to say they provided. My thoughts are my own and not influenced by the free copy.

This is a
Joanne D'Arcy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Renowned children's author Catriona Robinson has dedicated all her books to the people that have meant something to her during her life.

Her granddaughter Emily, one of the dedicatees has never given it much thought until the death of her grandmother.

Catriona became Emily's life when a tragic accident robbed her of her beloved parents and for a while the ability to walk, talk and function as a human being.

Now seemingly alone in the world, a final task from her grandmother is to go and search out
Amy Riddell
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
When famous children’s author Catriona Robinson chooses to reject a second round of chemotherapy and allow her life to end, she leaves behind an international assembly of mourners. People across the world had been touched by her Ophelia series, about a young disabled girl who embarks on a number of adventures with the help of a magical atlas and her loyal pet duck. Also left behind, on a more personal scale, is Catriona’s granddaughter Emily. Now 28, Emily is a reclusive freelance artist who has ...more
Aislinn Kelly
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Emily is an easy read of a book which I read over a couple of hours. I enjoyed the story and its's characters. There were some elements of the book that could have been done better such as character development and the ending was slightly disappointing. However if you are looking for a book that is easy to follow and very enjoyable then this is the right book for you.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC
Cory E
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out slow (and a bit too self-aware?), but slowly built to an emotional depth that hooked me and surprised me. It certainly left beautiful melancholic feelings once it was gone.
Lu Etchells
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
This book focusses on Emily, the grand-daughter and only surviving relative of legendary children’s author Catriona. Following Catriona’s death (not remotely unexpected as the blurb initially suggests) Emily is struggling with her grief, when suddenly she is spurred in to reluctant action by a visit from a stranger with a message from her Grandmother.

What follows is a trip around Europe (taking in London, Paris, St Tropez, Rome, Verona etc) and a potted history of her Grandmother’s life, as seen
Vicky
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This very sweet and heartfelt book is about learning to survive and love yourself, even through terrible loss.

When children’s author Catriona Robinson dies, her granddaughter Emily reacts by shutting herself away. But Catriona has other ideas in the form of a treasure hunt hidden in her published books, sending Emily off on a journey of discovery across Europe, and one of growth in herself.

This has definitely inspired me to try new things; after all, the book says, if you don’t push yourself out
Katy Wheatley
This was given to me through Netgalley in exchange for my review. The premise is fresh and intriguing. A young woman is required to solve a series of clues set by her grandmother before her death, in order to claim her inheritance. The execution left me wanting I have to confess. I found myself frustrated with the two main characters, which began to resolve itself slightly as the book progressed but made it hard for me to warm to them for a large part of the book. It also came across as more of ...more
Tamsin Preece
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a sweet book, but it fell a little short for me.

Emily is grieving the death of her Grandmother, a renowned children’s author. She is also still grieving for her parents, something we can see clearly even though she can’t! The story takes us on a treasure hunt designed to help Emily learn more about her Grandmother.

The characters were all rather weak and waffly and I felt the writing could have been tighter- there seemed a lot of unnecessary prose. I did enjoy learning about the birds th
Wendy
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Emily and her Grandmother are renound author and illustrator of children’s books. They have a huge fan based and after her Grandmother dies, rumours abound that there is another book written by her Grandmother but never published. Set shortly after her Grandmother’s death, this story tells of how our protagonist discovers her Grandmother’s past, and in turn discovers the truth about a secret book by her Grandmother. Travelling to places with her childhood friend on a ‘treasure hunt, come mystery ...more
The Book Grocer
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchase For Emily here for just $10!

When the titular Emily discovers the dedication her grandmother Catriona wrote, after she dies, it leads her on a trail of clues as to where Catriona's manuscript might be. Slee has written a beautifully paced novel that is like a warm hug. Emotional, visceral and able to take you gently along for the ride.

Elisa - The Book Grocer
Nicole
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this by saying this is not the type of boom I'd usually read but my library was closing due to coronavirus and I just grabbed a bunch of books to borrow at random.

The whole thing was a little bit twee and I thought it would make a better YA novel than adult novel but it kept me entertained enough.
Annarella
Not my cup of tea. Even if the book is well written I couldn't connect to the characters and the plot didn't keep my attention.
DNFed.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Shabana
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I volunteered to read this book, through netgalley in exchange, for an honest review.
A heartfelt and bittersweet book to read. I absolutely loved it.
Amanda  Gee
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fabulous book that allows you to escape the world for a while.
Beautifully written, lovely characterisation and a story that encourages you to keep turning the pages, what more could you ask for.
Hebridean Reader
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Emily is a young woman who has suffered significant trauma and disappeared into herself and an imaginary world shared with her grandmother in order to avoid her grief.

But when her grandmother, a world famous author, dies she sends Emily on a final quest to rediscover herself and try and find a way to begin healing.

This is a melancholy yet optimistic tale about discovering what matters in life and following your own path. Emily's journey is swirled with flights of fancy and hopeful symbolism givi

• Les victorieuses
  • The Sight of You (The Sight of You, #1)
  • The Extraordinary Hope of Dawn Brightside
  • Da dove la vita è perfetta
  • If I Can’t Have You
  • The Cancer Ladies' Running Club
  • The Lost Village
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • The Secrets of Paper and Ink
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
Katherine Slee has a Masters in Modern History from Oxford University and is a member of MENSA who left the crazy and chaotic world of investment banking to enter the crazy and chaotic world of being a stay-at-home mother to two children and wife to a workaholic husband. She grew up as a bit of a tomboy, with scars on her knees and mud in her hair, and as a result developed a taste for everything ...more