Start by marking “The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)

The Vanishing

(Fogg Lake #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz comes a new gripping romantic suspense trilogy fraught with danger and enigma.

Forty years ago in the small town of Fogg Lake, "The Incident" occurred: an explosion in the cave system that released unknown gases, causing peculiar effects on its residents, such as strange visions and ominous voices. Not wanting the
Published January 7th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing, please sign up.

Start your review of The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
Kaceey
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75*
Can we just begin by saying what a gorgeous cover this is?!
Jayne Ann Krentz has been writing romantic suspense novels for years, and somehow never had a chance to pick one up! Not sure how I missed her all this time! Better late than never!

In Ms. Krentz's latest release she’s added an element of paranormal to her story-line.
Catalina and Olivia have been friends their entire lives, growing up in Fogg Lake. (Love that name!) An off the beaten path little community. A safe place to raise
Susanne  Strong
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

The town of Fogg Lake has a secret. One they’d prefer to keep hidden.

Years ago, the town underwent a scientific experiment known as “The Incident.” The town and its residents were impacted. Catalina Lark and Olivia Dayton were hiding in the cave in Fogg Lake when an explosion took place and as a result, they have what some might call “other sight.”

Now living in Seattle, Catalina and Olivia run a highly successful PI business, which is in part, due to their unusual talents. One night
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

Catalina and Olivia grew up in Fogg Lake where the town went through some sort of “incident” forty years back that left most with special/supernatural powers. Because of this the residents try to keep the town off the radar from outsiders, knowing how most of the world views claims of paranormal activity or sensitivity. They don’t want to become lab rats or have scientists descend onto the town making it their personal laboratory.

As teenagers, Catalina and Olivia witness a murder,
Beth
Every once in a while you pick up a book that blows you away. Bravo, Jayne Ann Krentz, because The Vanishing was mind blowing with its utterly original plot.

The government was secretly experimenting with all things paranormal. When something goes drastically wrong, the entire town's inhalants of Fogg Lake are transformed into something more. This story follows Catalina as she tries to rescue her life long friend Olivia from people who want information that might be locked away in her
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A murder witnessed by Catalina and Olivia when they were teenagers has come to the surface after 15 years, and neither of the girls knows they are in danger.

Well...Catalina realizes something is up when Olivia is kidnapped.

The girls have a unique skill since an explosion in their town had occurred when they were teenagers....they have psychic abilities and see auras.

Hopefully their abilities will be able to save Olivia and will guide Catalina to her.

We follow the characters and the story line in
Alyson Kent
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Barb in Maryland
3.5 stars for the first in a new series from one of my favorite authors.

Really, the story itself is worth 3 stars, as there is nothing really new here. The characters are engaging and likeable; the mystery part is fairly clever; and it has a modicum of zing.
But I could actually see the gears moving in this one--not a good sign.

However, I have been reading the author's books since 1979. There is just something in her style that really clicks with me. So even though I found this to be merely okay,
☕️Kimberly
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story opens with two young girls, Catalina Lark and Olivia Dayton, spending the night in the caverns at Fogg Lake. A ritual for teens in this tight-knit community with its spotty electricity and shared secrets. Only the girls witness a murder and escape by entering one of the side caves. There they encounter weird energy. In the morning they return home and share their gruesome tale. Convinced the girls were hallucinating, nothing comes of it and soon even the girls believe.

Fast-forward and
Melissa
Sep 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Did not finish.

Am I missing something? Is there a book where the backstory of the town and the main male character is mentioned? There is so much information in the beginning of this book and I feel like I am missing something. I tried to research to see if the mysterious company was ever mentioned in a previous book, but didn't see anything.

It was too much for me to follow along and the book was unable to keep my interest.
Marlene
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

This was the book I felt compelled to read this week – no matter what I put in my Sunday Post. I expected to be swept away by Krentz/Quick/Castle’s unique blend of romantic suspense and parapsychological woo-woo and that’s exactly what happened.

I also expect that Fogg Lake will somehow turn out to be just down the road from Scargill Cove, that the Bluestone Project will somehow turn out to be related to “Mad Scientist” Jones’ research or that The Foundation
Katie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review was copied from my romance novel review blog: romanticallyinclinedreviews.com

Jayne Ann Krentz is an automatic buy. I don't even bother reading the blurb anymore. Just click that order button and then wait for my book to come in the mail. That's right. I'm paying hardcover prices for Krentz books. That should tell you how much I adore them. Of course, it's part nostalgia given that she was the author who turned me onto the romance genre as a whole.

No one writes romantic suspense like
Soo
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

There are a ton of bland UF stories on KU. It was great to read a solid UF from an author I like. The mystery wasn't that mysterious, but I enjoyed getting to know the characters and a nice spin on paranormal aspects.
Sophia
A new atmospheric romantic suspense series with a strong psychic element from this author will always get me perking right up and ready to grab it for a read. It only took the prologue to prove the high anticipation was not wasted.

The Vanishing is the first in a series centering on a remote community in the mountains where years before a government run paranormal lab's explosion had certain unique effects on the people of the nearby town and following generations. The lab and others like it were
Toya
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, romance, arcs
I recently discovered romantic suspenses within the past year, and I have to say that they have become a fast favorite for me. Prior to The Vanishing, I hadn’t read any of Jayne Ann Krentz’s books, but after finishing this one, I will definitely be remedying that.

The inhabitants of Fogg Lake prefer you to not know about The Incident. The Incident was a gas explosion that resulted from a scientific experiment that took place in the caves, which left some of their people with the ability of ‘other
JoAn
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Vanishing by Jayne Ann Krentz was a super beginning to the Fogg Lake series. I honestly could not put the book down.

Catalina and Olivia are from a small community called Fogg Lake where it is normal to have paranormal talents. I felt like I had come home again being in Ms. Krentz's paranormal world since I've read every one of her Arcane books. A suspenseful plot, several twists and well developed characters made this a perfect read for me.

I received a copy of this book from my public
Kimberly
3.25 stars - Reviewed for Wit and Sin

Murder, mystery, psychics, auras, and a hint of romance make for a great combination in The Vanishing . Jayne Ann Krentz has kicked off her Fogg Lake series with a fast-paced, engaging story.

Decades ago, “The Incident” happened in Fogg Lake; an explosion in the caves that released gases and gave the residents and their decedents certain paranormal abilities. Catalina Lark grew up in Fogg Lake, but she and her best friend, Olivia, make their living as
Ann Lorz
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: https://romancingthereaders.blogspot....

Even when it's been a while for me reading Krentz I can pick up one of her books and feel like I've come home. The way she writes makes her a comfort read for me. I just really enjoy her books.

When I saw this new series starting I knew I had to give it a try. It just sounded so good and I loved the idea of it. It kinda reminded me of her otherworldly books. Since we haven't had any of those in a while I was
Silvia
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a giveaway, I think. I don’t remember entering but boy am I ever glad that I won.

This author is new to me and I have another book of hers, Secret Sisters, in a stack of physical books (as opposed to ebooks) I have yet to read and it looks like it gets moved to the top.

The Vanishing is about the Fogg Lake community set in an out of the way location. There are no modern electronic conveniences such as wi-fi, cell phones, or computers available probably because the town is
AC
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This was such a good read that I didn’t want to put it down. It excited me from the very first chapter. The story was interestingly unique and the writing flowed so smoothly that chapters just flew by. I can’t wait to see if there will be another installment. A perfectly moody mystery for a rainy day or dark evening.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Readers who loved the Arcane Society series, Ms. Krentz creates a new series just as alluring. Set in the contemporary era, this seemingly straightforward suspense tale about two friends who run a business together quickly unveils an otherworldly flavour. Catalina and Olivia are best friends not only because they grew up together in a sleepy town of Fogg Lake, but because during their formative years, they experienced a traumatic incident. This incident so to speak is probably what set them off ...more
Kate Douglas
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
I never hesitate to recommend books by Jayne Ann Krentz (or Amanda Quick, or Jayne Castle) because no matter her name, this author is always going to give me a most entertaining read. THE VANISHING is no exception. I love delving into a new series with JAK, and this one starts out with a chilling murder years ago in a rather ominous cave on the shores of Fogg Lake.

Before long, the reader moves into the present where so much of what happens in the tiny town of Fogg Lake is based on mysterious
Christa
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I really enjoyed this new release from Jayne Ann Krantz. I've been reading her books since she was first published, and I feel like I always know what to expect from one of hers, which makes her books a sort of comfort read for me. This holds true with The Vanishing. It has her requisite two main characters who accept and trust one another quickly, even if some baggage comes along with them. There is the paranormal aspect in the storyline that is central to her books.

This one was especially
Linniegayl
This is the first in the author's Fogg Lake series, and a return to stronger paranormal elements in her books. The setup for the book is interesting to me (a mysterious incident 40 years earlier in Fogg Lake leaving all residents in the isolated community with paranormal powers). And the mysteries (because this also has a lot of suspense) in this book held my interest. Unfortunately, this was just an adequate read for me: a C so three stars here.

One of the main reasons I read Jayne Ann Krentz is
Kaitlyn Dunnett
I "escaped into a good book" with this one--a welcome distraction from the real world. Krentz has mastered the art of writing good paranormal romantic suspense. I'm already looking forward to revisiting Fogg Lake and its residents.
Linda Smatzny
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable book with enough thrills to keep the pages turning. Most of the characters have extra abilities which help them when fighting the bad guys. The book was a quick easy read.
Chris Conley
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As usual, I read this book way too fast!! Now I have to wait for the next entry in the Fogg Lake series. Jayne Anne Krentz writes wonderful suspense books with a romantic backstory. I love the paranormal elements in these stories. Hurry with the next one!!!!
AlwaysV
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing mystery/romance to die for by Jayne Ann Krentz. I was so crazy in love with Catalina & Slater, a captivating HEA couple. They both had powerful and compatible psychic abilities that just blew my mind away! Their investigation of murders by paranormal means was heart-pounding and fast paced. Loved when Slater used his psychic power to subdued the bad guys. Though Catalina didn't have offensive ability, she was a fierce fighter as well.

At the same time, Catalina and Slater
Jennifer Garber
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I have never read a Jayne Ann Krentz novel. Yes, I know, that is amazing given the number of books she has written. The Vanishing is her newest novel and it is due to be published in January 2020. Thank you to Berkley Publishing for the early reader's copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This story (the first of a series of three per the jacket) is a combination of a paranormal mystery and a romance. The main character, Catalina, can see auras due to her family's
Rose Blue
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
As reviewed at Roses Are Blue: https://wp.me/p3QRh4-160

Catalina Lark and her childhood friend, Olivia, have become business partners in an investigative firm. The friends have a unique bond – they’re both from the town of Fogg Lake, they both have psychic powers, and they witnessed a murder when they were teenagers. Their home town became victim of some psychic experimentation decades ago, leaving the residents with various and varying degrees of psychic abilities.

Slater Albright is a member of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • The God Game
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • Second Sight (The Jigsaw Files #2)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #3)
  • The Best Christmas Ever (Krewe of Hunters #32.5)
  • You Were There Too
  • Vendetta Road (Torpedo Ink #3)
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Weekend Fling (Crazy Love, #4)
  • How Quickly She Disappears
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Meg and Jo
  • What Doesn't Kill Her (Cape Charade, #2)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters