Start by marking “La Llave Del Faraón (Gideon Crew #5)” as Want to Read:
La Llave Del Faraón (Gideon Crew #5)

La Llave Del Faraón

(Gideon Crew #5)

Gideon Crew, científico brillante y ladrón de enorme talento, se ha quedado sin trabajo: su antiguo jefe, Eli Glinn, ha desaparecido sin dejar rastro y ha cerrado la empresa de la noche a la mañana. No obstante, este es el menor de sus males, pues le quedan meses de vida. Mientras recogen sus pertenencias, Gideon y su colega Manuel Garza descubren que un programa informáti ...more
Published April 2019 by PLAZA & JANÉS (first published June 12th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about La Llave Del Faraón, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jon wolfsbain
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of La Llave Del Faraón (Gideon Crew #5)
Paul Bennett
Jun 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved Preston & Child since Relic came out and read many of their works over the years. To me they were trailblazers of the scientific/supernatural suspense thriller and many other authors have taken what they did and riffed on it (Dan Brown, James Rollins, Steve Berry, etc) to great success. So when I found this novel at my local Costco I had to pick it up and return to the wonder these two authors seem to effortlessly create in their books.

I'm sad to say, that wonder is completely la
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Gideon Crew series is Douglas Preston and Lincon Child's other series besides the Pendergast series. I'm much more familiar with the Pendergast series (having read all the books published) while I have only read Beyond the Ice Limit before I read The Pharaoh Key. Still, it's Douglas Preston and Lincon Child and I just love reading anything they write (together or separately).

If you have read Beyond the Ice Limit then you know that Gideon Crew is living on borrowed time. He's dyin
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a lot of fun. In typical Preston and Child fashion, we got adventure and action and romance and science and it was a blast to read. I read it in less than a day! Makes me want to go treasure hunting!!!

My biggest gripe is that, since it's the last Gideon Crew novel, I was hoping for a spectacular ending. Overall, I wasn't wowed by the ending, and in f
Tim
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are strong points about god/gods and religion that highlight this novel. 5 of 10 stars
J.K. Grice
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE PHARAOH KEY is supposedly the final installment of the Gideon Crew series from the dynamic duo of Preston & Child. I have to say that the authors did a marvelous job in bidding a fond farewell to Gideon, Manuel Garza, and Effective Engineering Solutions (EES). This novel reads like the best kind of "Indiana-Jones-type" adventure imaginable. The pacing is excellent, and the twists and turns in the story keep you guessing until the very end. The characters are so well drawn, experiencing b ...more
Stewart Tame
This is supposedly the final Gideon Crew novel. While many things that were constant about the series change during the course of this book, Preston & Child could, if they were so inclined, write at least one more. I’m just saying …

Effective Engineering Solutions has been shut down. Gideon Crew and Manuel Garza are cleaning out their desks, when they stumble across an unexpected find. A code-breaking computer set running months ago has finished its task, the translation of a cent
Cherie
Meh! Not the most outrageous story of the series, but how many times can dead guys come back to life and lost civilizations be discovered?
Chad
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Billed as the last Gideon Crew novel, the book starts off with EES suddenly closing and Gideon Crew left with 2 months to live. Gideon and Eli Glinn's right hand man Manny Garza are clearing out their offices when a computer running a detailed analysis finishes after 5 years of trying to translate the Phaistos Disk (Why it's not the Pharoah Key, I have no idea. The title is never mentioned in the book.). Gideon and Garza decide to steal the data and take whatever it points to after Glinn's hasty ...more
Paul
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pieces of the plot fall pretty easily into place, sometimes by sleight of hand (Garza is a trained magician), but at its heart, the book is a guilty pleasure set in several exotic locales. The Pharaoh Key is a – late-night Jolt Cola and a Tastycake – of an adventure. Perfect for fans of Indianna Jones and Dirk Pitt. I breezed through it and had absolutely no guilt in the morning.

Full review can be found here: http://paulspicks.blog/2018/06/13/the...

Please check out all my reviews: https://paulspicks.blog
KC
In the fifth installment of this series, terminally ill Gideon Crew finds himself teaming up with a former colleague, Manuel Garza. The two embark upon a dangerous and harrowing journey in hopes of discovering a hidden treasure. Both men travel to an Egyptian desert; which happens to be one of the most remote locations on the planet. With the appeal of Indian Jones, this story is chock full of action but may be Gideon's last adventure. Personally I found it very cliché.
Mel
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to...I read these with my son in law.
Christopher
I'm actually a little upset at how this book progressed. There was one bit in particular:

He was a decent shot with the tribe’s rudimentary bows, but it seemed there were no openings among the hunting packs—or maybe they simply didn’t trust him enough.

and then a few pages later:

“Bow and arrow?” Garza ventured. “It’s amazing they don’t seem to have that.”

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE THAT.

If this was a Kindle-published book or something
William Aicher
By far the worst of all Lincoln/Child novels. Excrutiatingly boring and a lackluster end to the Gideon Crew series.

I almost put it down for good several times, but kept through to the end. I shouldn't have.
Adrienne
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
I do love reading Preston and Child thrillers. They vary as to type e.g. mystical, historical, or in this case archaeological. Featuring one of their prime lead characters; Gideon Crew.
Unputdownable, plausible, fast paced and always riveting. Excellent.
Colleen
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Joan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review of Advance Reading Copy

Gideon Crew is stunned when Eli Glinn shutters his high-tech lab, Effective Engineering Solutions, and vanishes. A chance encounter with former coworker Manuel Garza sets him off on an adventure tied to the translation of the Phaistos Disk, the stone tablet of a previously undiscovered civilization.

With a medical diagnosis that confirms he has, at best, only a couple of months to live, risk holds little meaning for Gideon. But as the two men
Patrick
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting, enjoyable read. Fast paced, novel about hunting treasure in one of the most formidable places on earth. Along the way they had many adventures and did eventually discover what they were looking for. But I suspect the world was not ready for it. This may be the last of the Gideon Crew series. I hope not, but it seems his time is up due to his AVM.
Tina Mclerran
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Preston and Child have once again lived up to my expectations as a fan. As always they bring the landscapes of the story to life, stay true to the characters they've created, and include some interesting twists to the storyline.
Albert
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Pharaoh Key is book 5# in the Gideon Crew series by the team of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child and here is hoping that this one is bringing the series to an end and maybe that terminal illness that is the ticking time clock in Gideon's head will put this character to bed once and for all. Harsh perhaps, but I'm only honest because I love you guys.

"...That's as good a summary as I could have made.' Dr. Conrad propped his palms on the edge of his desk and interlaced his fingers.
Jaksen
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is truly and entirely an adventure story. Pure and simple, but it's a good one. Written by writers who have really and truly gone on adventures. Preston himself has traveled across the Southwest on horseback, been part of an expedition which discovered a lost city in Central America, and lived in the area where the 'Monster of Florence' series of murders occurred in Florence, Italy. (He's written about all these, too.) Thus, if you want a good adventure yarn it sometimes helps to have someo ...more
Michael
The Pendergast novels by Preston and Child are some of the most fantastic stories dealing with suspense, action and often the mystical. Sometimes that mystical is explained away, but other times not.

The Gideon Crew novels are usually like the Pendergast novels but more on the lite side. This is, apparently, the last of the Crew novels and unfortunately the series is going out on a whimper rather than a bang.

Preston and Child are fabulous at taking the fantastic and allowing you to suspend your
Ray Palen
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my review next Friday on bookreporter.com .
Elena
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I swear I read the same plot years and years ago in a Donald Duck comics story.... Not good, not good.
Julie
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first Preston/Child book I read was Ice Limit and from that book I have now read almost all of them except for the non-fiction. This book was a huge disappointment. If this had been the first book that I had read, it would have been the last. The only interesting character that touched on any kind of in depth growth was Manuel Garza and even that was lacking. Gideon was a poo poo in this book. I didn't like him at all. This was a poor excuse of an ending for some great characters. The only t ...more
Michelle
Whoa, what a ride!!! I'm not particularly fond of Gideon Crew, but that doesn't matter. Read this book anyway. Best of all, Preston and Child clearly did their research and got the Egyptology correct! How often does that happen!?! None of this "Anubis, the God of the underworld" nonsense, thank Isis. There were some instances of "hieroglyphics," which isn't even a word, in case you're wondering (it's hieroglyphs, in the same way that Chinese symbols aren't called Chinese symbolics); however, tha ...more
Robert
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2017-18-season
Frankly disappointing. The adventure and thrills of previous volumes are gone, replaced by a paint by numbers laundry list of situations with no life or vitality behind them. This is the first book that felt like the two merely stitched together alternating chapters, the ending was completely underwhelming in its lack of resolution and finality, and I was so disengaged from the tale it took a week to read what should have been a day or two at most.
Carol
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never miss an opportunity to indulge in a Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child book and when the Gideon Crew series came out a few years ago it seemed to be another "gift" from this pair of talented writers. Gideon is literally running out of time. As the novel opens he has now two months left to live and will do almost anything that would either cure him or give him a little longer. It would also have given the readers a "little longer" but Gideon didn't let us down even with this hanging over his ...more
Kay
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is this it? The last of Gideon Crew series?
I enjoyed this book especially towards the middle and ending, but unlike Beyond the Ice Limit, this book wasn't as exciting and the plot of treasure hunting in Egypt wasn't unique. I felt like I've seen too many movies or read books like this before. Very much like Clive Cussler novels. BUT, the tribe part was good, and although I dislike Garza at the beginning he came through for me. AND, this felt like Garza book than Gideon. The ending left question
Roger
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gideon Crew books have proven to be pretty exciting. However The Pharaoh Key, like its' predecessors, featured a number of what I'm going to call "B-movie" elements, including the old "knowledge man is not meant to have" schtick. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are fantastic writers but even they could not breath new life into old cliches, So I will not be the least bit upset if this is the final book in the series, as it certainly seems to be.
Jim
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was OK.
I was looking for a book that would be a light, entertaining adventure story that incorporated enough 'true facts' that would make it interesting as well. The authors tried, but just came up a little short. The adventure parts of the plot were like weak decaf coffee...cold at that. And poor Dr Crew! Have we seen the last of him...yet?
I smell another Gideon adventure story in the works...I probably read that one too, I just hope it's better than OK.

• Crucible (Sigma Force, #14)
  • The Gray Ghost (Fargo Adventure, #10)
  • The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone, #14)
  • Shadow Tyrants (Oregon Files, #13)
  • Spymaster (Scot Harvath, #18)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Full Wolf Moon (Jeremy Logan, #5)
  • The Bishop's Pawn (Cotton Malone, #13)
  • The Oracle (Fargo Adventure, #11)
  • Sea of Greed (NUMA Files, #16)
  • Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)
  • Holy Ghost (Virgil Flowers, #11)
  • The Museum of Mysteries (Cassiopeia Vitt Adventure, #2)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • A Measure of Darkness (Clay Edison, #2)
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • The Other Woman (Gabriel Allon, #18)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Gideon Crew (5 books)
  • Gideon's Sword (Gideon Crew, #1)
  • Gideon's Corpse (Gideon Crew #2)
  • The Lost Island (Gideon Crew, #3)
  • Beyond the Ice Limit (Gideon Crew, #4; Ice Limit #2)
“what’s a tomb without a curse?” 2 likes