Start by marking “Pretty Scars” as Want to Read:
Pretty Scars

Pretty Scars

In Carrie Drazen’s diamond-studded world, beauty is everything: a blessing, a commodity, and a curse. Her beauty got her past the velvet ropes and into high society, but it ripped her away from the man she loved and chained her to an unbearable life.

Then, in a single night, a song played by a mysterious and secretive musician carries her back to a past ripe wit
Paperback, 1st Edition, 290 pages
Published May 30th 2019 by C.D. Reiss

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Scars

Start your review of Pretty Scars
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰

description

This multilayered book packed so many punches and heartbreaks...I prepared for a simple camping trip but I was hit by a fucking whirlwind.

_______________

The Story
This review has taken me a good five days to think over bec_______________
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
⭐⭐ Check out the Blog Tour ⭐⭐

There is something about a hard-won second chance that speaks to me and I feel like with Pretty Scars, CD Reiss was speaking right to my soul. Gabriel was a truly remarkable and charismatic hero. He created beauty through his music, his words, and his deeds. And he was in utter awe of Carrie Drazen. He worshipped her, created compositions for her, he would die for her. It was impossible not to love sweet Gabe and I was thrilled with how much Carrie loved him too.

However...

In the Drazen family,
Mindy Lou's Book Review
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Pretty Scars is an alternate version of Romeo and Juliette. College rich girl with a powerful family name falls for college boy who can do nothing to further the Drazen name.

Carrie's father is a soulless SOB. He plays the people in his orbit like chess pieces. Your value is what you can do for him. His second oldest daughter, Carrie is the beauty of the family. That's her value and he isn't going to let her waste it on a violin player.

This book had me gritting my teeth for Carrie an
Alessandra Torre
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My weekend binge was this novel. It's incredible.
I love CD Reiss's ability to tell a story. This one is twisted and unexpected and beautiful. It sets a new bar for storytelling and I loved every page of it. Six Stars!

AMAZON: https://cdreiss.com/2cq6
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
5 “Don’t Get Sold”Stars

The Drazen Family is not for the faint of heart. Their 8 children are at the mercy of their very controlling and diabolical father. So when a book comes out about one of the siblings, I know that my heart is going to get a workout.

Carrie Drazen is the second oldest. She’s graduating from USC, going to graduate school on the east coast and has no time to date anyone. But
CC

Carrie Drazen lived her life the way her wealthy and powerful parents have dictated. On the outside she is stunning, but most don’t look past the beauty and status. When Carrie decides she wants to pursue a certain path, circumstances continue to manipulate the situation.

“Men had called me beautiful and perfect more times than I could count, but this compliment – that I saw clearly and judged well – made me blush.”

Gabriel Marlowe is a talented violinist attending university on a music scholarship. Focused onsituation.
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
PRETTY SCARS by CD Reiss IS LIVE!
••☆☆••☆☆••☆☆••☆☆••☆☆••☆☆••

Pretty Scars is classic CD REISS storytelling, I love her author voice, especially when she is spinning the tale of one of her Drazen characters. So when Carrie's story was being penned, I must admit, I was highly anticipating it and I wasn't disappointed.

In a world where beauty is everything Carrie faces her darkest hours in a dramatic, layered story of love and hope, one
Olga therebelreader
So this one was just okay for me. The chemistry between the hero and heroine is undeniable and the two of them sizzled together. Sure there was an element of mystery surrounding the hero, but this lacked the fast-paced heart-thumping suspense I was expecting. Overall, Pretty Scars was well written and delivered an interesting story that most readers will enjoy.

In short:
Hero 4/5 | Heroine 4/5 | Plot (Point, Originality) 4/5 | Writing Style 3/5 | Steam 4/5 | Romance 4/5 | Angst-Suspense 3/5 | Darkness 1/5 | Humor 0/5 | Secondary Characters 3/5 | Drama-Conflict 3/5 | Mystery 3/5 | Twists 3/5 | Pacing Steady | Action 3/5</>
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Standing ovation for CD for creating the Dreaded Dramatic Drazens
This family just keeps on giving. Princess is locked away in a castle and the fire breathing, all burning Dragon Drazen is playing Godfather.
"Having access to as much money as I wanted granted me just enough freedom to blind me to the fact that I was a captive to it. Legally, I was a grown woman. Realistically, I was a ward of the Drazen family. In particular, my father, who couldn’t have planned a more perfect way to delay the onset of mature self-determination."

FrustrGodfather.
Karen
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I was at a theatre or concert hall right now, I would be on my feet giving a standing ovation to a perfect symphony. This book is a masterpiece of writing. Stunningly beautiful and heart stopping. Mesmerising. When you hear a piece of classical music played as it should be at the right resonance it makes the blood vibrate in your body. This book was played like a Stradivarius in Carnegie Hall.

It felt so good and a little scary to be back in Drazen world. Carrie Drazen is the red head in ques
Wendy'sThoughts
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C.D. Reiss Fans, Romance
4 Scars to Heal Stars
* * * * Spoiler Free
When C.D. Reiss puts pen to paper, or in this technical age, fingers to keyboard...you will be treated to tales which will cause you to think about more than is the main part of the story. She writes like those Russian Nesting Dolls...Where you see something and then if you look closer, there is another part just under the surface. Then if you really dive in, there is another element to shake you, shock you or just make you stop and gather everything you have thought y
Christine Blake
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another Drazen being control by daddies money. Carrie was the 2nd oldest and they were determined she would not turn out like Margie who they royally screwed up with. Declan Drazen was controlling and Carrie was his pride & joy she was beautiful of course had the trade mark red hair. Pretty girl syndrome is what others had around her because of her beauty.

Carrie was sold off to the one man she settle for because the man she loved daddy would never let her have. Drazen's had an image to upho
Jean
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CD Reiss’ latest, Pretty Scars is not only an absolutely breathtaking standalone, it is the story of Carrie Drazen the second, and prettiest, of the Drazen daughters. But her beauty is a vulnerability – a commodity in Declan Drazen’s sundrenched, sinister LA, and a burden. She calls the unearned privileges it creates “Pretty Girl Syndrome”. But this isn’t CD Reiss’ version of “Mean Girls do LA”. It’s a story of a first, forbidden, forever love told through the eyes of a delicately wrought heroin ...more
Mali Mor ❤️ The Romantic Blogger
Wow!!!

"Every time I breathe, every time I blink, I'll be thinking about you."

photo PhotoGrid_1558877414953_zpsyauk3ohs.jpg

The beauty of 20-year-old Carrie Drazen is her curse. Men want her, women hate her - but only one man will do anything for her...
Gabriel Marlowe is a talented musician with big dreams who plays the violin. But when his gaze lands on the red-haired woman who puts a 100$ bill in his music bag, he is willing to do anything to be a part of her life.
But just like Romeo and Juliet, their love story is not simple...
Gabriel's mother
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
Freaking CD Reiss has done it again the world of the Drazen family. She truly can take a character Carrie and torture them in the best way possible. Reiss takes the reader back in the 90s as we watch love develop between two people the world (their parents) do not want together. All the feeling in this can't put down book, with tons of twists.
Who will be Reiss next book in the Drazen family? All I know is I can't wait to read it.

Reviewed by: Alex L.
Kelly
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I FN LOVE the Drazens!! Of course, I will read ANY story that CD Reiss writes, but I have a special spot for any involving this family!! This book was written in one of my FAV ways! It jumped from the present to the past!! I LOVE that! It’s so suspenseful to me knowing where the story is at in the now, and watching it unfold going back to the past! Carrie’s story intrigued me, and her journey was written beautifully!! It captivated my attention from page 1 & made me FEEL so much! Parts of it ...more
Lauren Luman
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CD Reiss's books make you think and feel it all. Her writing is smart, and emotional, and she is so detail-oriented you can't help but reread to make sure you haven't missed anything.

Pretty Scars is no different. I was so excited when she announced this book because Carrie has been just a mere mention.

First, I love how much "in your face" consent there is in this book. Not that many stories are so brazen about hearing a partner voice that "yes". Carrie and Gabriel are young, college-aged adult
Maria Naydenova
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 pretty scarred stars

What an intense and emotional story that was. I was wary to start this book since everyone was referring to the Drazens when it released and I still haven't read any of these books, but I decided to just jump and go from there. And I'm so glad I did. This was such a beautiful story, so angsty and heartfelt. The whole narration going from past to present was so well done. I love such stories that reveal the truth slowly, layer by layer and keep you guessing, keep you on
Jules
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2019-favorite
Wow! This book. It’s like a chocolate truffle that you want to swirl around on your tongue as you savor each rich, dark, nuance.

It’s romantic, it’s suspenseful, and it is thrilling. Author C.D. Reiss beautifully tells the story of the elusive Drazen sibling, Carrie, in her latest novel, Pretty Scars.

The story is cleverly told in two time periods, the not so distant past of 1993 and the present, 1995. The story is broken up into two parts to allow both Carrie and Gabriel t
Happily Mary After
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-june
C.D. Reiss is a hypnotic storyteller and evocative writer, and her twisty, emotional romances never fail to mesmerize me and, frankly, blow my mind. Pretty Scars is a second-chance romance that has everything – intrigue, angst, passion, suspense and breathtaking romance – and it’s absolutely unforgettable. Written with a timeline that alternates between present day and two years prior, it’s a tale of star-crossed lovers, who find their relationship and even their lives at the mercy of dangerous ...more
Kim BookJunkie
**Review of the audiobook**

STORY: 4 Stars
PERFORMANCE: 5 Stars
OVERALL: 4.5 Stars

STORY
Another Drazen!!! Although Carrie isn’t quite as exciting or sexy as her siblings, Reiss never ceases to amaze me with her innovative storylines!! Pretty Scars is unexpected, unpredictable and unique!

PERFORMANCE
I listened to the Audible audiobook narrated by Emma Wilder and Teddy Hamilton. Teddy Hamilton is one of my all-time favorite male narrators so I I knew he would do an amazing job,/> ...more
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jess~

I have read some of the books in the Drazen world and this family is quite complex. Each child has their own story and demons and this time it was Carrie's turn.

Carrie is the "beautiful one" and has always wanted more than that. But being ruled by an iron fist has made that impossible. She once upon a time found something that she wanted more of only to lose it. Gabriel was the person who called to Carrie's soul. A talented musician with potential to really become something. Th
Naughty Mom Story Time
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-reviewed
Carrie’s story reeled me in the moment I started reading. The connection she felt with the anonymous musician on stage was palpable. The feelings it brought forth in her...I felt.

This story was absolutely beautiful and exquisitely delivered.

It’s been ages since I’ve visited the Drazen world and oh how I’ve missed it so. For Pretty Scars, we get a story that took place way before Johnathan Drazen was old enough to captive hearts. His sister Carrie was as sweet as she was beautiful - VERY. Her b
Ally *Wasted Life Books & Romance*
I am a first-time reader of CD Reiss, and this is a remarkable book that will have me reading more! I hope her others are just as emotional and romantic!

For some reason, while thinking back on this eloquently written novel, I can't help but sing Taylor Swift's Love Story in my head.

"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone I'll be waiting, all that's left to do is run You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess It's a love story, baby just say yes."

But unlike the song, there is n
Avidez Literaria
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Then she leapt forward and hugged me instead, and I forgot I was ugly and scarred. I was made of what I saw, and with her, all I knew was beauty.”

Carrie has all her future planned by her parents. Owner of a classic beauty and belonging to a family where the children are pawns controlled by the false morality of the patriarch, she will marry a suitable suitor, generate heirs and be the good trophy wife. A beautiful accessory in her father's business game.
Gabriel is a young mus
Amy
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carrie Drazen has always fascinated me. In CD Reiss’s previous Drazen books, Carrie is spoken of but only seen once. Vague, opaque references are made to her–why she isn’t with the rest of her family, why she won’t return home. Now, at last, CD Reiss tells you Carrie’s story, and it is worth the wait.

When we meet her, Carrie is a student at USC (that’s the one in southern California, not the one in South Carolina), majoring in psychology. She meets a violinist, and each immediately i
Kisha (BooksBlush&BlackHair)
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“There are notes that go together. Play them alone and they’re fine, but play them together and it makes music. No matter the instrument or what part of the world you’re in, they’re linked by a chord. That’s us. We were waiting for the moment the world put us together. I can’t unhear us now.” -Gabe, Pretty Scars

This was my very first read by CD Reiss and it will NOT be my last. I saw that “googly, heart eyed” emoji the entire time I read this book; I was ENAMORED and I couldn’t read it fast eno
Lg
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty Scars is another brilliantly written tale of the Drazen family. Christine Reiss does not disappoint with Carrie Drazen’s story. Full of twists, turns and pull on your heart moments.

Carrie wants for nothing, she is a Drazen after all. A beautiful woman who wants to live life on her terms. She meets a musician, Gabriel who instantly fills her with music and love. Together they are beauty and grace. Past events effect their relationship, yet they are willing to go through these o
Yamina -Women Who Stare at Books
FLAWLESS
A REAL MASTERPIECE
EPIC READ
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Filthy Vows (Filthy Vows, #1)
  • Wild Thing (Naughty Things, #3)
  • Jesse (Bossy Brothers, #1)
  • Written with You (The Regret Duet, #2)
  • Sweet Thing (Naughty Things, #2)
  • Joey (Bossy Brothers, #2)
  • Jersey Six
  • Twisted Marriage (Filthy Vows, #2)
  • Obsessed (Tangled Web, #2)
  • Pretty Thing (Naughty Things, #1)
  • Rivalry (Slay Quartet, #1)
  • Written with Regret (The Regret Duet, #1)
  • Resist (Wicked Ways, #1)
  • Reveal (Wicked Ways, #2)
  • Bound (Tangled Web, #3)
  • The Open Door (The Found Duet, #2.5)
  • Ruin  (Slay Quartet, #2)
  • On the Rocks (Becker Brothers, #1)
CD Reiss is a New York Times bestselling author. She still has to chop wood and carry water, which was buried in the fine print. Her lawyer is working it out with God but in the meantime, if you call and she doesn't pick up she's at the well hauling buckets.

Born in New York City, she moved to Hollywood, California to get her master's degree in screenwriting from USC. In case you want t
“There was objective beauty, which meant there was objective ugliness,” 0 likes
“Have you ever heard of quantum entanglements?” “Um, no.” The song ended with a long, raspy note, and the band closed their set. “Particles are coupled across dimensions, and I believe people—when they have a real connection”—he leaned forward deeply, staring into my eyes—“I believe they share entangled particles.” 0 likes