Start by marking “Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)

Nocturna

(A Forgery of Magic #1)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  5,029 ratings  ·  1,235 reviews
As a talented faceshifter, it’s been years since Finn has seen her own face, and that’s exactly how she likes it. But when Finn gets caught by a powerful mobster, she’s forced into an impossible mission: steal a legendary treasure from Castallan’s royal palace or be stripped of her magic forever.

After the murder of his older brother, Prince Alfehr is first in line for the
Hardcover, FairyLoot Special Edition, 471 pages
Published April 17th 2019 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Nocturna, please sign up.
Libby Brown Well, not in this book. There might or might not be some love in the next book that's coming out. I think it is hinted, though. I really want this to …moreWell, not in this book. There might or might not be some love in the next book that's coming out. I think it is hinted, though. I really want this to happen.(less)
Libby Brown Hint of it. I was desperately waiting for something to happen between the two.

·  5,029 ratings  ·  1,235 reviews

Start your review of Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
 Teodora
2/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

Pretending I am on a gorgeous Caribbean beach, drinking coconut water and listening to some distant bachata music while reading this book and not actually reading it in my room far away from any beach within reach.

Well, now I’m glad I didn’t have it with me on any beach (or, truth be said, I didn’t go to any beach whatsoever).
The main reason for my affirmation: I DNF-ed this.

Yep, that’s right. Maybe it’s a surprise, but not a shock. The ones wh
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
April Fairyloot Box. Click on the link under picture to see all of the goodies!

THE GOODIES

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!! I was hoping to love this book!! It’s so pretty inside and out, the pages had their own special magic BUT I didn’t like it much!! And I hated that one of the main characters name was shortened to the nickname of Alfie! Felt like I was reading the movie A Christmas Story but with Alfie instead of Ralphie. Don’t ask, I’m weird.

I’m sure this book will be for lots of people just not
Melanie

✨ A review to check out: Johely's!

"Magic could not speak, yet interacting with it felt like a conversation, a dance, a story shared with a friend with the ending left up to interpretation."

This was our September 2020 pick for the Dragons & Tea Book Club, and I loved it so much. This is a story about identity, classism, privilege, freedom, honoring your culture and the past regardless of who tries to erase it, and respecting boundaries unapologetically.

This is a story about a boy nam
jessica
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
ugh. this is the third book in a row where i am just feeling so uninvested. is... is this what a reading slump feels like? im not quite sure how i feel about that, or this book, tbh.

from an objective standpoint, theres a bit going for this story. the latinx culture is fun and exciting and something i havent read a lot of (even if the plot is one i have - *cough* a darker shade of magic *cough*). the writing is impressive for a debut and the pacing is good with decent world building.

from a subj
Angelica
I had hoped to love this book. And yet, somewhere deep in my little heart I knew, knew almost for certain, that I wouldn’t. That it was almost too good to be true.

Now I’ve read it and lo and behold, I did not, in fact, love this book.

Some of you may or may not know this about me, but I am Dominican. I was born and partially raised in The Dominican Republic, a small, Spanish speaking island in the Carribean, where the sun always shines and the beaches are always blue. So, to hear that an author w
Jessica McKenna
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Any unabashedly good reviews of this book must be from people who either have never read V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic Trilogy, or who do not care when a book's entire plot is lifted from another source.

Several sources, in fact. Because beyond the egregious ripping-off of Schwab's trilogy, even the tiny, different details are often easily traceable back to other sources, from which they have just as blatantly been stolen and cobbled.

I've been annoyed at books before for stealing basic plot from
Emily May

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔮
helena
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i always wanted to read a latino-inspired ya fantasy. there are lots of fantasies inspired in europe or the us. even arabic-inspired. but i searched and searched for something latino, something like nocturna, and i never found it.
thankfully, maya motayne exists. and her book is AMAZING!

the world-building is incredible. i’m gonna be honest with you: when i started reading it, i couldn’t stop thinking that nocturna is actually a darker shade of magic, but in south america. but, as the story progre
Cinda
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, diverse, ya, blurbs
Welcome to San Cristobal, a Latinx kingdom laced with magic and grappling with homegrown treachery and a colonial past. When the true heir to the throne is assassinated, reluctant Prince Alfehr joins forces with a chameleon of a street thief to save the kingdom from an ancient evil. In the process, they may find a way to save each other.

Fantasy fans will embrace the creative worldbuilding and welcome these flawed and multi-layered characters into their hearts.
Romie
I've been emotionally destroyed by the softest boy and the baddest girl to ever grace this earth. and I'm not fine. where is my emotional support Luka when I need one? ...more
Sara
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this was a realy boring book😣 , the beginning is great , you meet fin and she is also great but ugh I just couldn't stand alfie and the plot of the book is a great idea but it didn't worked in this book it was to long and so boring towards the end I just skipped some parts , had realy high hopes but this book didn't deliverd that , 2 ⭐⭐ ...more
Dannii Elle
A face-shifting thief, who steals more than just food and coin to survive but also the faces of those she meets, and a prince, with a magical doorknob to lead him directly to wherever he wants in the world, combine in an unprecedented interweaving of fates.

The former, Finn Voy, seeks to escape the dark shadow dominating her past but finds herself with a new foe to duel with, when she aligns her plight with the Prince's. Prince Alfehr is not concerned with ruling the kingdom but only in seeking t
Laura ☾
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Nocturna revolves around Prince Alfehr (Alfie), who has become crown prince after his brothers disappearance, and Finn, a shapeshifting thief. When an ancient evil threatens to destroy the Kingdom, they must band together to fight it.

I feel like Nocturna had promise in its premise, but the execution left much to be desired. The writing was overly descriptive without saying much, the world-building took a backseat, and the characters felt very superficial. While I liked the Latin American inspir
julia ♥
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read the full review on my blog : here!

"Magic could not speak, yet interacting with it felt like a conversation,

2019 is just full of beautifully diverse fantasy releases, and Nocturna had been on my TBR since the beginning of the year. Imagine my delight when I received this book in one of my April subscription boxes (and this gorgeous special edition no less!) Of course I had to immediately dive into this book
Sara
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Finn is a shapeshifter, a thief and a trickster. She steals faces, loosing herself amongst the crowds to keep one step ahead. Until her luck runs out, and she’s forced to steal treasure or loose her powers forever. When her plans align with that of a forlorn prince, who holds the power of moving between worlds, she sets her sights on a prize worth taking, but is the risk worth the consequences?

The world building is both complex and
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

LATINX WORLD! Yeah, so I've lived among Latin people for years and love the food, culture and language. It really excited me to read that we'd get a fantasy world inspired by a rarely seen culture. And come one... how can I not be excited for a character that can change their face!?

The Premise

When I started Nocturna I had totally forgotten what the premise had said about it. The only thing I remembered what that it was Latinx!! Right aw
Renee Godding
2.5/5 stars

Rounded down for the complete lack of originality. This was very (very )standard tropish YA fantasy and I was a little disappointed. Nothing quite wrong with it but nothing special either...

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get exactly what I was expecting going into this book: a very standard, middle of the road YA-fantasy, that is entertaining enough but ultimately adds nothing new to the genre that we haven’t seen a million times before, if not better. That could pretty much be my
Alaina
Definitely loved diving into this re-read because I'm super excited for the sequel. After diving in my physical book, I was really excited to do the audio version today. I'm not going to lie, the narrators did an amazing job. There's just something about Alfie and Finn that always sucks me in. I mean Finn is basically Arya in disguise. The girl who has no name and no face. I loved it.

So when they started working together, well.. I was fangirling a bit here and there. The last time I read this wa
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
3.5/5

I liked this a lot, but nothing really stood out to me. I'm curious about what's going to happen in the next book, though!

It would've been four stars, but it set off my anxiety a WHOLE LOT because of how often dead parents were talked about. It wasn't enough to make me consider DNFing my first book ever, but it did take away some of my enjoyment. Since getting pregnant for the first time, and especially because I'm expecting again, it's just a lot for me to read about it.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review originally appeared on Happy Indulgence Books. Check it out for more reviews!

As someone who loves fantasy and diverse reads, the premise of Nocturna really interested me: a Latinx inspired world, a faceless thief and a prince with dark magic. I was definitely intrigued and really keen to pick this up for The Name of the Book club.

The beginning of the book starts with a bang, as we first meet Finn, the faceless thief who can mould her face into anyone else's and whose goal is to break
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
why did I love this so much?? 💕
Danielle
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nocturna is by far, BY FAR, the worst book I have read this year. Granted, it's only March, but even if another book displaces this as my most despised of 2019, it will remain amongst the top three at the very least.

Basically, this book is just a Latinx , poorly written copy of the far superior A Darker Shade of Magic. WARNING: Spoilers ahead for both books, so beware!

Seriously, Finn is basically Lila Bard, Alfehr is a whiny amalgamation of Kell and Rhy, and Alfehr uses 'magic doors' to get t
Julie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DO. NOT. MISS. THIS.

“This searing, magical Latinx-inspired fantasy pulled me in from the first page and did not let me go. I loved adventuring with brave Alfie and brash Finn, and I held my breath until the end. NOCTURNA is a magnificent debut, powerful and true.”
- Julie C. Dao, author of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
mina
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
↠2-
started buddy reading it with Laura but I decided to just DNF it
DNF @57%

I wasn’t enjoying the first five chapters; there was just something missing or something. And now I wonder would I even notice it’s so much “A Dark Shade of Magic” if I hadn’t been told that and how much that affected how I feel about the book. To be honest I don’t think it did something (I think it was somewhere around half of the book when I compared the characters and was shocked that they are the same, before that
Vivianne
Spoiler free mini review

Actual rating: 2,5 stars!

Overall I think this book had potential it was just very unoriginal and predictable. There wasn’t anything that really got me annoyed but there also wasn’t something that made me love it.

Was it just me or was this book VERY similar to V.E. Schwab darker shades of magic series? And then I don’t just mean similar plot with creepy dark magic on the loose, but also the characters, their stations, the magic, traveling through portals, the pov, the worl
Sea Reads
DNF at 35%.

Over-the-top similarities to A Darker Shade of Magic with a writing style I could not get into (loads of awkward and poorly placed info-dumping, telling instead of showing, etc.), and a Celaena Sardothien style female MC who swears all the time and that's how you're supposed to know that she's fierce. If I had a dollar for every time Finn's narration included "She'd be damned if..." in the first 35% of the book, it would probably be enough to buy the hardcover edition.

Huge pacing prob
♠ Tabi⁷₈⁷ ♠
Oct 26, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ p.183 because I'm learning when to accept that a book just isn't good enough.

description

So I was getting a sense of "I've read this kind of book before" along with noting how I wasn't getting the fierce, Latinx-soaked fantasy I was promised. Then I did some review reading and realized that I HAD read this before: A Darker Shade of Magic. And thus the woke realization that this was basically a fanfic version of ADSOM that wasn't even a GOOD fanfic, well, I decided to just stop boring myself and put th
Beth
This took me an age to read but I’ve done it! I’m not really sure why it took me so long because I can hands down say that I really really enjoyed this!

One thing I found very appealing that the “bad guy” was legit evil and sadistic with no redeeming features what so ever. One of my favourite things about a villainous character is how evil they can be, and this character really is everything I could of hoped for!

Then we have Alfie and Finn, the tease is real with this! I am on the edge of my seat
Giselle
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
A fun read! A world very well developed, full of magic, darkness, and mystery. It's also unique and well thought-out. Action from start to finish with flawed characters who are an unlikely pair that end up being the perfect match. Full review to come. ...more
h o l l i s
Man I'm really getting hit with a lot of these YA fantasy three star series starters right now. Not that three stars are bad, as we forever have to remind ourselves..

"Alfie says your trade is thieving goods, but you seem just as adept at thieving hearts."
"Was that as embarrassing to say as it was to hear?"

So much of this was so good! It's an #ownvoices fantasy set in a Latinx-inspired world, with a very interesting magic system, a face-changing thief, a prince in mourning and not dealing well wi

• The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • To Best the Boys
  • Das Lied der Nacht (Wayfarer-Saga #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
See top shelves…
Maya Motayne decided to be a writer when she was four years old and hasn’t stopped writing since. She lives in New York City where she pursues her passions of petting as many dogs as possible and buying purses based on whether or not they can fit a big book in them. Nocturna is her first novel.

A Forgery of Magic (3 books)
  • Oculta (Nocturna Trilogy #2)
  • Untitled (A Forgery of Magic #3)