Start by marking “The Troll Garden and Selected Stories” as Want to Read:
The Troll Garden and Selected Stories

The Troll Garden and Selected Stories

The Troll Garden is a collection of short stories by Willa Cather, published in 1905. This collection contains the following seven stories:

"Flavia and Her Artists" "The Sculptor's Funeral" "A Death in the Desert" "The Garden Lodge" "The Marriage of Phaedra" "A Wagner Matinee" "Paul's Case." Four of these stories; The Sculptor's Funeral," "A Death in the Desert," "A Wagner
Published February 12th 2019 by E-Kitap Projesi & Cheapest Books (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Troll Garden and Selected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Troll Garden and Selected Stories

Berta,
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnífica autora que he descubierto. ¡Una apuesta segura!
Duane
This is an excellent collection of short stories by a great American writer. In the early 20th century she didn't get the credit she deserved because.......she was a woman. That is starting to change as modern readers are discovering what a treasure she was, and still is through her writing. Her short stories are stark, real life descriptions of the people and life in the American frontier. In my opinion she is the American version of Russia's Chekhov.
Brengain
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sabía qué esperar de Willa Cather, totalmente desconocida para mi, y la verdad es que me ha sorprendido muy gratamente.

Hace años me costaba muchísimo leer relatos porque me parecía que al ser tan breves me dejaban con demasiados hilos colgando en las historias que me gustaban, mientras que con otras no me daba tiempo a conectar. Pero los relatos de Cather son pinceladas cotidianas, esbozos de las vidas de personajes con los que empatizas, gente realista a la que conoces por un lapso corto de
Louise
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Great collection of stories, on to read more of her books
Lauren Perotto
The writing wasn't bad, but I got bored and forgot to go back and finish. I was also bugged that every story ended with a cliffhanger. It didn't add suspense or mystery, they just felt unfinished.
Elise Vila
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una joya. Relatos interesantes, cotidianos.
Kathy Nealen
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of early Cather short stories. I thought the characters were well defined and complex given the short length. A common theme throughout many of them was the idea of “not fitting in”, especially for artistic / musical types. Most stories featured the Midwest environment of her childhood but the last story took place in Pittsburgh and New York.
Tim
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" It came up like a galleon in full sail; an enormous, barbaric thing, red as an angry heathen god."

" The western shore was low and level, with cornfields that stretched to the skyline, and all along the water's edge were little sandy coves and beaches where slim cottonwoods and willow saplings flickered."

I bought this book for The Enchanted Bluff, which I read as a Library of America Selection of the Week on Facebook.

It's a snapshot, a portrait of a time and place after the frontier but before
Karen Sweeney
Rich prose

Pleasantly surprised at the rich descriptions of time, place, and persons. Art and artists play a large part in these stories. Some of the story arcs fell flat but a very enjoyable read.
Stephanie
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Willa Cather, read this. It explores many of the same themes and questions as her later work and shows the seeds beginning planted.
Susie
My first book of short stories and I enjoyed it. Each story pulled me in and I love the time period about which she wrote.
Janlou
Apr 01, 2019
Tracy
Oct 26, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: Please, combine editions 2 11 Jun 04, 2019 01:25AM
Wilella Sibert Cather was born in Back Creek Valley (Gore), Virginia, in December 7, 1873.

She grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She then attended the University of Nebraska, initially planning to become a physician, but after writing an article for the Nebraska State Journal, she became a regular contributor to this journal. Because of this, she changed her major and graduated with a bachelor's d