Start by marking “Unseen Body Blows: The "Fighting LST 479" and its Seven Pacific Campaigns, 1943-1945” as Want to Read:

Between 1942 and 1945, 1,051 amphibious tank-landing ships were rapidly produced. These were anonymous vessels, slow and unwieldy, and in the words of one crewmember, they looked like bathtubs. At first, LSTs had a reputation of being expendable and of relatively low value, and so were bestowed another, less noble, nickname; “Large Slow Targets.” Put into service to get ...more
Published April 21st 2019 by FriesenPress

To ask other readers questions about Unseen Body Blows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unseen Body Blows

Start your review of Unseen Body Blows: The "Fighting LST 479" and its Seven Pacific Campaigns, 1943-1945
Jackie
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won this in a goodreads giveaway. Very well detailed book
Steve Susina
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating account of a single small ship and its crew as they helped win the war in the Pacific. If your knowledge of WW2 is based on the big battles and major campaigns, Unseen Body Blows will give you insights into a green crew and a brand new ship took their place in US History.
Deborah
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
I won this on Goodreads Giveaway. I just want to say what an excellent book. I couldn’t put it down. It was very interesting. My husband is going to read it now. I enjoyed it but I think he’ll enjoy it more seeing he’s retired Navy.
Carol
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had initially thought to give this a 3 rating but over time and tearing up at the end when the ship was decommissioned (who would have thought that would be sad for a land lubber!) I changed this to a 4. There was indeed meticulous research done into this book. You can feel the tremendous pride these men had for their ships. That battered bull dog DID deserve every one of its stars, all SEVEN of them!

Thank you to Goodreads for a copy for my review.
Alison  Theodore
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Although this genre is not one I usually read, Unseen Body Blows I found interesting. I was unfamiliar with this type of ship, what they were used for and had no idea what life on one was like. It has made me appreciate and be forever grateful for our past and present servicemen and women who fight for the freedom of our great country.
David Vinther
Dec 03, 2019
Leland Anderson
Dec 06, 2019
William Gay
May 14, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
McPhaul M.
Dec 24, 2019
Erica
Dec 29, 2019
William Gay
Jun 08, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
William Gay
Jun 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Kim Friant
Joshua
Alison
Douglass Abramson
WWII Fanatics: New book on World War 2 LST 4 5 Sep 28, 2019 07:35AM
Making Connections: 5510. Unseen Body Blows by William A. Gay 1 7 Jul 02, 2019 07:00PM

• The UnAmerican Dream
  • Last Day
  • Cardiac Arrest: Five Heart-Stopping Years as a CEO On the Feds' Hit-List
  • The Virtual Talent Scout (World Football Domination #1)
  • We Will Rise: A True Story of Tragedy and Resurrection in the American Heartland
  • Grace
  • But I'm Not An Expert!: Go from newbie to expert and radically skyrocket your influence without feeling like a fraud
  • How to Get Successful by F*cking Up Your Life: Essays on Addiction and Recovery
  • Harvest the Vote: How Democrats Can Win Again in Rural America
  • Bloodline and Wine (Dana Pierson Book 2)
  • Code Red: How Progressives and Moderates Can Unite to Save Our Country
  • Arcadia
  • The Resisters: A novel
  • The God Game
  • Jane Against the World: Roe v. Wade and the Fight for Reproductive Rights
  • Unmaking the Presidency: Donald Trump's War on the World's Most Powerful Office
  • No Bad Deed: A Novel
Bill Gay is the author of "Unseen Body Blows," the true story of a World War 2 Landing Ship Tank that participated in seven Pacific Campaigns. Gay's background includes 25 years in the Navy, serving aboard two different ships and then as a public affairs officer in the Naval Reserve. After working as a reporter on a daily newspaper, he formed his public relations agency in 1994.