Start by marking “Truths I Never Told You” as Want to Read:
Truths I Never Told You

Truths I Never Told You

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  10,895 ratings  ·  1,110 reviews
“Fans of Jodi Picoult and Kristin Hannah now have a new go-to author.” —Sally Hepworth, bestselling author of The Secrets of Midwives

From the bestselling author of The Things We Cannot Say comes a poignant novel about the fault in memories and the lies that can bond a family together—or tear it apart.

With her father recently moved to a care facility for his worsening demen
Published April 14th 2020 by Graydon House

·  10,895 ratings  ·  1,110 reviews

Start your review of Truths I Never Told You
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
2.5 disappointing stars.

I will start by saying, Kelly Rimmer is one of my most favourite authors and this was one of my highly anticipated reads this year. Two of her previous books are my absolute favourites - Before I Let You Go and The Things We Cannot Say. This book has plenty of excellent reviews, but unfortunately it did not work for me. The fact that I love this author so much makes my less than enjoyable reading experience even more disappointing.

The novel revolves around a family that i
Paige
2.5 stars. Told in two timelines, Grace struggles with postpartum depression in 1957 while Beth in 1996 reluctantly helps her father move into a nursing home since he is suffering from dementia. Beth then helps her siblings clean out her fathers house where she finds letters from her mother, Grace, revealing untold family truths.

The plot was very slow to build. The first half felt very repetitive and the characters were hard to connect with. It was surprising to feel such a disconnect from the
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I'm losing it. That's what this is. It's a panic attack, or maybe a good old fashioned nervous breakdown, and maybe I'm hallucinating those notes. I do feel a little disconnected from the world, and hallucinations are as good an explanation as any. I'm going to have to leave Noah with Hunter and go into a hospital before something unthinkable happens. Crazy. It's an awful word, one I'd never ever let myself use to describe another person, but I feel crazy right now, and I'm so ashamed t ...more
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Truths I Never Told You is the first book by Kelly Rimmer that I have read and most certainly will not be the last. She is an author that I have read so many good things about, and after finishing this book today I completely agree with them all. What an emotional roller coaster I have been on with these characters in the last 24 hours. It was a book that I didn't want to put down, completely invested in the story of this family.

Truths I Told You is told in 2 different timelines. in 1996, Beth W
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Dang, it! I thought for sure I would love this one and have that emotional pull I love so much from a story. Instead, I couldn't connect with the way the story was written and I didn't find the characters all that convincing.

There are some very emotional topics explored here in two timelines and we can see how different things are from each other. I think what I struggled with the most was in one timeline we see the character's struggles through letter and we are told about them and how the cha
Berit☀️✨
Emotional and authentic. Kelly Rimmer’s stellar storytelling strikes again! This was a powerful story about family, secrets, forgiveness, mental illness, and letting go. Told from multiple perspectives and in dual timelines. 1996, Beth a new mother is struggling with all that motherhood implies. She is also dealing with her fathers progressing dementia. Late 1950s, Grace is also struggling with motherhood, made even tougher by the fact that she has four children under the age of four. It also do ...more
Norma
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars! Powerful, heavy, and compelling!

TRUTHS I NEVER TOLD YOU by KELLY RIMMER was a story that really struck a chord with me even though I wouldn’t necessarily say that I enjoyed these characters or felt a strong connection to them. What I did feel was a strong personal connection to aspects of the storyline.

There is a lot going on in this book and lots of drama to deal with but with that being said I thought that the author excelled at her portrayal of postpartum depression here which was
Brenda
Beth Walsh was the youngest of the four siblings; Tim the oldest by only three years, with twins Ruth and Jeremy in between. Their mother Grace had been dead since they were toddlers and their father, Patrick had cared for them since. As a single father, he was devoted to his four children and as a result they were all very close. With Patrick having recently been moved to a care facility, ill with dementia and heart failure, the siblings were trying to come to terms with his imminent death. Bet ...more
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I think this might be a better fit for readers who really enjoy "mysteries" written in the vein of Liane Moriarty in the sense that the focus of the story is less on the payoff of the suspense and more on the relationship between characters in the home. TRUTHS I NEVER TOLD YOU is a domestic mystery that revolves around three women: Beth, Maryanne, and Grace.

Beth's father is suffering from cognitive decline due to complications from illne
Sharon
Truths I Never Told is written in two different timelines and Aussie author Kelly Rimmer has done an outstanding job in bringing those two timelines together.

This is an unforgettable story of motherhood, marriage, family and so much more and one you will find very difficult to put down. I absolutely loved and thoroughly enjoyed this book and have no hesitation in highly recommending it to anyone who is looking for their next read.

With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for my digital copy
Katie B
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the type of story that I felt a personal connection to but that might not be the case for every reader. I thought by far the strength of the book was how the author dealt with the topic of depression, specifically postpartum depression. I maybe had other issues with the book but the realistic portrayal of women battling depression made this a worthwhile read for me.

Beth Walsh dreamt of becoming a mother but now that she has a newborn, she has found she is struggling to adjust. H
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Alicia came with him a few times, then suddenly stopped helping out. As far as I can tell, she’s very busy being a “media personality.” Given she hasn’t had an acting or modeling gig for at least a decade, “media personality” seems to mean she spends her mornings at the gym and her afternoons with her socialite friends, hoping she’ll make it into the frame of a paparazzi photo so she can complain about her lack of privacy.

Here, more than anywhere, I feel his absence. The room sme
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**4.5 stars**

Truths I Never Told You by Kelly Rimmer. (2020).

1959. Grace is a young mother with 4 children under 4. It's all she's ever wanted but Grace struggles with her dark thoughts after childbirth. She pours her fears into a notebook, hiding them from her husband Patrick. When Grace falls pregnant again she turns to her sister Maryanne for help.
1996. Beth and her siblings have had to put their father Patrick into care after his
Sally Hepworth
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ANOTHER SURE FIRE HIT FROM KELLY RIMMER
MicheleReader
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded up

Truths I Never Told You will surely tug at your heart. This poignant story, set in two time periods, is a raw and emotional read.

It’s 1957 and after giving birth to her fourth child, Grace is overcome with what we now know is postpartum depression, “there are four souls in this house, but I am unreachably far from any of them, even as I’m far too close to guarantee their safety.” In the 1950s, women suffering from this illness were told to “pull yourself together.” In 1996, G
Dale Harcombe
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars.
Back in 1959 Grace is a young mother with for children under four, two of them twins. But Grace is struggling to deal with the situation and cannot share what she is feeling with anyone. Though she loves her husband Patrick, who her well to do family never wanted her to marry, he is no help. In desperation she pours out her feelings and fears into the pages of a notebook. She hides the notebook in a safe place where she knows Patrick will never see it. Another pregnancy sen
"Avonna
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

TRUTHS I NEVER TOLD YOU by Kelly Rimmer is an intense new women’s fiction/historical mystery/suspense novel. This story follows a mother in 1957 and her daughter in 1997 with two simultaneous intertwining plot lines.

Patrick has been a beloved single father for many years and now his four children are finding it difficult to come to terms with placing him in a care facility due to his dementia and heart disease. When the youngest,
Jamie Rosenblit
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
As I've said time and time again, Kelly Rimmer found her way into my heart when I first read Before I Let You Go and when I read The Things We Cannot Say, she permanently cemented her place on my favorite author list. I have always been in awe of Rimmer's talent to write across a variety of genres and excel in each genre. In Truths I Never Told You, we have a mix of contemporary and the 1960s as our dual timelines and the subject in question is postpartum depression.

Rimmer creates characters th
Karren  Sandercock
Beth Walsh is the youngest in her family, she has two brothers Tim and Jeremy and an older sister Ruth. Despite the loss of their mother Grace in a car accident when they were all toddlers, the siblings had a happy childhood, the family's very close and they all love their dad Patrick.

Patrick’s health has started to decline, he has heart problems and is now suffering from dementia. The siblings have to make the difficult choice of putting their father into an aged care home and decide what to do
Marianne
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truths I Never Told You is the eleventh novel by best-selling Australian author, Kelly Rimmer. Bethany Evans and her siblings have accepted that their father needs to go into care: living alone with heart failure and dementia is a recipe for disaster. Despite (or perhaps because of) having five-month-old Noah to care for, Beth volunteers to sort out Patrick Walsh’s house while they decide what to do with it.

When they get the attic unlocked, it’s quite the opposite of the scrupulously neat house
DeAnn
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.75 tough issue stars (rounded up)

I am a big fan of Kelly Rimmer’s writing so I was really excited to win this one in a Goodreads giveaway. I find that this author does not shy away from writing about tough issues – WWII in “The Things We Cannot Say” and drug addiction/pregnancy in “Before I Let You Go.” This time she tackles Alzheimer’s/dementia, women’s reproductive rights, and post-partum depression and mental health.

There are two alternating storylines here – we have Beth in the present-day
Amy
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my most anticipated books for 2020 after absolutely loving The Things We Cannot Say. That book meant so much to me and it touched a part of my soul, it’s definitely one of my all time favorite books and I don’t say that lightly. All of that to say, I had incredibly high expectations for this one and I’m thrilled to say that once again, KR has written a gorgeous story that I won’t forget.

There’s two timelines here, one in the late 1950’s and the other in the 1990’s and both were e
Jülie ☼♄ 
Truths I never told you is about exactly that, and the sad and often unnecessary consequences that evolve from those hidden truths.
It's about the ways that women especially, had to "creatively" conform to the established status quo in a time...not so very long ago...when women had virtually no voice to express their fears or concerns about anything.

This story delves into not only the circumstances of some hidden family truths, but also the psychology behind them, and how the keeping of them can
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Truths I Never Told You is a moving, poignant novel of family secrets from Kelly Rimmer.

When the Walsh siblings agree it has become necessary to admit their terminally ill father to a hospice, Beth, the youngest of the four, volunteers to clean out the family home. The process is time-consuming, though straightforward until, behind a padlocked attic door, Beth finds a series of paintings, and pinned to one, a devastating note written by her late mother, Grace.
The missive in her mother’s elegant
Jen
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelly Rimmer has firmly cemented herself as one of my favorite authors. Her newest was another emotionally gutting tale, beautifully woven and completely relatable. She weaves dual timelines and multiple viewpoints seamlessly. In Truths I Never Told You, she perfectly captured the stigma of mental illness and the progression of the mental health field from the 1960’s until today. While we’ve come a long way, we still have work to do to end the stigma and that is perfectly reflected in this book. ...more
Kerrin P
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truths I Never Told You is the second book by Kelly Rimmer I have read this year. The first was The Things We Cannot Say. This second novel was a little bit of a letdown since I enjoyed the first one so much.

Truths I Never Told You is about the close-knit Walsh family. Beth Walsh Evans and her three siblings were raised by their single father, Patrick, after their mother, Grace, died in a car accident. The children, a son, a set of boy and girl twins, and then Beth, were all born within four yea
Dawnny
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After moving her father to a long term care facility. Beth is tasked with cleaning out her family home. When she finds journal entries from her mother she discovers family secrets and that everything she thought she knew isn't what it seems. This a powerful and emotional read. The subject of postpartum depression, mothers and daughters is wrapped in duel timelines that reflect each time period very vividly. This is my first time reading this author. I'm in awe of the writing. The depth of the st ...more
Cheryl James
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My first read of 2021 and I was not disappointed. The book explained and highlighted the many aspects of postpartum depression that affects women and their families. This illness as many mental illnesses can be multigenerational, therefore it should be taken serious but can also be properly medically controlled.

Kudos to the author for such an inspiring story. I loved that the story was told in past and present tense. I felt like I was following a soap ophra that continued to take in my emotions
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
Truths I Never Told You is an emotionally charged story of how secrets and lies can destroy a family. I enjoyed the dual timeline and discovering the full effect of secrets kept. This is a perfect read for fans of Jodi Picoult!
Anna
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Walsh and her husband had tried for years to have a baby and are now blessed with a beautiful baby boy. Yet Beth is struggling to adjust to motherhood and feels overwhelmed and overcome by negative emotions. As a psychologist, she is resistant to seek help, afraid it will damage her career. She is also dealing with her beloved father's dementia and heart disease. Having to move him to a hospice care facility, Beth volunteers to tackle packing and clearing out their family home. When she dis ...more

• Love on the Line (Women at Work #1)
  • Her Last First Kiss (Last Chance Ranch Romance #1)
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Summer of '79: A Summer of '69 Story
  • The Christmas Party
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • The Perfect Girlfriend
Kelly Rimmer is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestselling author of ten novels, including The Secret Daughter and The Things We Cannot Say. She’s sold more than one million books, and her novels have been translated into more than 20 languages. Kelly lives in the Central West of New South Wales with her family and fantastically naughty dogs, Sully and Basil.

News & Interviews

“Loneliness is so much worse than sadness, because loneliness, by definition, cannot be shared.” 3 likes
“I finally discovered that the love I have for my children is the most powerful thing on earth. It's fierce and determined and an absolute force to be reckoned with. I would do anything for them. On a good day I know that I am far from a perfect mother, but I am all they have, and all I can do is to make sure that I expend every breath trying to do my best.” 1 likes