Start by marking “Truths I Never Told You” as Want to Read:

Truths I Never Told You

“Fans of Jodi Picoult and Kristin Hannah now have a new go-to author.” —Sally Hepworth, bestselling author of The Secrets of Midwives

From the bestselling author of The Things We Cannot Say comes a poignant novel about the fault in memories and the lies that can bond a family together—or tear it apart.

With her father recently moved to a care facility for his worsening
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Graydon House

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 14, 2020
    Enter to win 1 of 50 Advanced Reader Copies of Truths I Never Told You by Kelly Rimmer!

With her father recently moved to a care facility for his

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 4255 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Feb 29, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Truths I Never Told You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truths I Never Told You

Start your review of Truths I Never Told You
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I think this might be a better fit for readers who really enjoy "mysteries" written in the vein of Liane Moriarty in the sense that the focus of the story is less on the payoff of the suspense and more on the relationship between characters in the home. TRUTHS I NEVER TOLD YOU is a domestic mystery that revolves around three women: Beth, Maryanne, and Grace.

Beth's father is suffering from cognitive decline due to complications from illness
    Mandy White
    Truths I Never Told You is the first book by Kelly Rimmer that I have read and most certainly will not be the last. She is an author that I have read so many good things about, and after finishing this book today I completely agree with them all. What an emotional roller coaster I have been on with these characters in the last 24 hours. It was a book that I didn't want to put down, completely invested in the story of this family.

Truths I Told You is told in 2 different timelines. in 1996, Beth
    Katie B
    Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the type of story that I felt a personal connection to but that might not be the case for every reader. I thought by far the strength of the book was how the author dealt with the topic of depression, specifically postpartum depression. I maybe had other issues with the book but the realistic portrayal of women battling depression made this a worthwhile read for me.

Beth Walsh dreamt of becoming a mother but now that she has a newborn, she has found she is struggling to adjust.
    Sally Hepworth
    Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    ANOTHER SURE FIRE HIT FROM KELLY RIMMER
    Karren  Sandercock
    Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Beth Walsh is the youngest in her family, she has two brothers Tim and Jeremy and an older sister Ruth. Despite the loss of their mother Grace in a car accident when they were all toddlers, they had a happy childhood, the family was very close and they all loved their dad Patrick.

Recently Patrick’s health had started to decline, he had heart problems and was now suffered from dementia. The siblings had to make the difficult choice of putting their dad into an aged care home and then decide what
    Jen
    Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Kelly Rimmer has firmly cemented herself as one of my favorite authors. Her newest was another emotionally gutting tale, beautifully woven and completely relatable. She weaves dual timelines and multiple viewpoints seamlessly. In Truths I Never Told You, she perfectly captured the stigma of mental illness and the progression of the mental health field from the 1960’s until today. While we’ve come a long way, we still have work to do to end the stigma and that is perfectly reflected in this book. ...more
    Jamie beauty_andthebook_
    As I've said time and time again, Kelly Rimmer found her way into my heart when I first read Before I Let You Go and when I read The Things We Cannot Say, she permanently cemented her place on my favorite author list. I have always been in awe of Rimmer's talent to write across a variety of genres and excel in each genre. In Truths I Never Told You, we have a mix of contemporary and the 1960s as our dual timelines and the subject in question is postpartum depression.

Rimmer creates characters
    Vanessa Carnevale
    Bravo! Kelly Rimmer is an author to admire. She has a knack for weaving poignant and compelling stories that don’t shy away from tough topics. Filled with twists and turns that pull on the heartstrings, readers who love stories about family secrets will devour this one.
    BookGypsy
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    After moving her father to a long term care facility. Beth is tasked with cleaning out her family home. When she finds journal entries from her mother she discovers family secrets and that everything she thought she knew isn't what it seems. This a powerful and emotional read. The subject of postpartum depression, mothers and daughters is wrapped in duel timelines that reflect each time period very vividly. This is my first time reading this author. I'm in awe of the writing. The depth of the ...more
    MicheleReader
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5 stars rounded up

Truths I Never Told You will surely tug at your heart. This poignant story, set in two time periods, is a raw and emotional read.

It’s 1957 and after giving birth to her fourth child, Grace is overcome with what we now know is postpartum depression, “there are four souls in this house, but I am unreachably far from any of them, even as I’m far too close to guarantee their safety.” In the 1950s, women suffering from this illness were told to “pull yourself together.” In 1996,
    Helen
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I don’t know where to start, this is another moving, poignant story of family and secrets from MS Rimmer, this one had me turning the pages, it was so hard to put down and when I did I could not stop thinking about the characters in this story, I stayed up late last night finishing this one and it will be a long time before I let go of this one.

It is 1959 and we meet Grace a young married woman with four young children, times are hard and Grace is struggling with family and life. She loves her
    Genevieve Trono
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Last year I was introduced to author Kelly Rimmer by one of my book reviewing friends. I devoured The Things We Cannot Say and was blown away by Rimmer' ability to share multi-faceted characters that felt so real and raw while also diving into a heartbreaking part of our not so distant history.

I loved the dual storylines and how they wove together and kept me guessing until the end. Rimmer captured the power of sharing our stories while also reminding us that many people have a history we might
    ☼♄Jülie 
    Truths I never told you is about exactly that, and the sad and often unnecessary consequences that evolve from those hidden truths.
    It's about the ways that women especially, had to "creatively" conform to the established status quo in a time...not so very long ago...when women had virtually no voice to express their fears or concerns about anything.

This story delves into not only the circumstances of some hidden family truths, but also the psychology behind them, and how the keeping of them can
    Nancy
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This is a very well written book that tackles some very difficult issues. One of the issues is far too polarizing, hence, I will not discuss it since it also would be a spoiler.

The issues at the center of the story are post partum depression, aging parents, and relationships. I found the story to perfectly align with addressing the issues at hand. A very adept writer, as Rimmer clearly is, is able to seamlessly allow the characters to develop and interact with one another while allowing a story
    Vivi Widodo
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    It'll be too hard to review this book without giving any spoiler, so i don't want to carry on too much. I totally love it and would recommend this to friends. It's the story of four siblings, Tim, Ruth, Jeremy and Beth. With their dad's move to a care home, Beth finds a note which will open a secret about their mother. It sounds like a simple story but the author is successfully hooked me up to keep reading. It's a beautiful family story,
    ** Thanks Netgalley for an electronic ARC of this book
    Nicola Marsh
    A wonderfully poignant story that had me curled up on the couch turning pages rapidly to finish it.

A dual timeline story told from three POVs: Grace, Beth and MaryAnne, covering relevant and heartbreaking topics that affected women across the years.

A lovely story of family, support and learning to depend on those we love.

Recommend!
    Vanessa Sousa
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-2020
    This was my first Kelly Rimmer novel and after reading this one I can’t wait to read more of her books! I felt a strong personal connection to this story in being both a mother and experiencing the loss of a parent. Kelly Rimmer did a wonderful job with this story which tells about two women’s struggles with postpartum depression two generations apart. Reading it felt like I was watching a movie and the story had me in tears several times. So readers read this with a box of tissue at your side. ...more
    ✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
    Copy received from Hachette Australia for an honest review

I have devoured each Kelly Rimmer book that I have read so far, and the same can be said for Truths I Never Told You.

As with all her books, Ms Rimmer delves into some deeper and darker corners of families, histories and more

I felt a connection to Beth/Grace and this book from the beginning. That connection was through the depression that they both suffered throughout their lives.

Ms Rimmer, I felt, deals with depression very well. As a
    Amalie_reads
    Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Truths I Never Told You is my first Kelly Rimmer book and it certainly won’t be my last.

It was a unique, beautiful and heartbreaking story all in one that took me by surprise at how emotional it was. Rimmer is an incredible story teller and has an ability to approach heavy issues in a way that was both respectful and sensitive.

The story centres around Beth who is the youngest child, her eldest brother Tim and twins Ruth and Jeremy all have a close relationship. Having lost their mother Grace
    Judy Odom
    Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Truths I Never Told you is many things: a heart wrenching story, a mystery , family relationships, things we say and things we never say to our family or others.

The story is told in two time lines with multiple viewpoints . The confusion starts when Beth finds a note her mom wrote years ago. There Dad is now in declining health and cant answer their questions how their Mom died. Or when !!

There is so much to this book . I wont do it justice by describing it you just have to pick up this book and
    Anna Loder
    Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a heavyweight story. I absolutely feel I’ve been pulled through the ringer. So much more than an issue based novel. For me this was real people, real problems, real life. I don’t think I’ll be forgetting these people in a hurry.
    Kimberly Mussell
    Thank you @this_is_edelweiss for this amazing piece of art. Such a beautiful story that will definitely pull at your heartstrings.
    Katie Farnsworth
    Wow, I absolutely loved this. Sensitive, emotional, heart-wrenching. I love Kelly Rimmer's writing as she always delves into big themes and explores them with rawness, heart and truth. I still very emotional right now so don't feel I can do this review justice yet...will update soon.
    Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
    Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
    Truths I Never Told You is a moving, poignant novel of family secrets from Kelly Rimmer.

When the Walsh siblings agree it has become necessary to admit their terminally ill father to a hospice, Beth, the youngest of the four, volunteers to clean out the family home. The process is time-consuming, though straightforward until, behind a padlocked attic door, Beth finds a series of paintings, and pinned to one, a devastating note written by her late mother, Grace.
    The missive in her mother’s elegant
    Joan
    Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Firstly I want to say what an honour it is for me to review another Kelly Rimmer novel pre-publication. I have always been a massive fan of her lyrical writing right from the very first book of hers that I read. This one was equally terrific but I must say it totally captured my heart as I really identified with her leading characters. Kelly Rimmer, you have surpassed yourself once again with this new novel. Thank you for this charming and exciting story.
    There are three female narrators spanning
    Audrey  Adamson Stars in Her Eye
    I give Truths I Never Told You 3.5 stars.
    Beth lost her mother when she was young but had a wonderful father who worked hard to support her. In 1996, she has a baby of her own and is struggling with the idea of being good enough. At the same time, she is dealing with the terminal illness of her father. Since she can not help with the health, she throws herself into cleaning up his house but she wasn't expecting to find evidence that her mother's death wasn't a car accident like she had been told.
    Brenda
    Beth Walsh was the youngest of the four siblings; Tim the oldest by only three years, with twins Ruth and Jeremy in between. Their mother Grace had been dead since they were toddlers and their father, Patrick had cared for them since. As a single father, he was devoted to his four children and as a result they were all very close. With Patrick having recently been moved to a care facility, ill with dementia and heart failure, the siblings were trying to come to terms with his imminent death. ...more
    Naomi (aplace_inthesun)
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs
    When Beth’s father Patrick is unable to remain at home because of his worsening dementia, and her older siblings are busy living their lives, Beth volunteers to clean out his house. It will provide her some distraction from the minutiae of her daily existence, and means she can avoid confronting her growing fears regarding her detachment from her 5 month old baby boy.

Beth finds remnants of her father’s life with their mother Grace, who she thought had died in a car accident when they were
    Janine
    Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Another powerful and thought provoking read from Kelly. This time dealing with post natal depression and dementia. Grace Walsh is married to Patrick and has now got 4 children under the age of 4 when she discovers she is pregnant again. The dark clouds have come over her with each pregnancy and the thought of going through with another pregnancy again becomes too much for her. She writes to her sister Maryanne for help. Patrick spends all his time either at work or in the bar after work and she ...more

• Little Secrets
    • The Clergyman's Wife: A Pride and Prejudice Novel
    • An Almost Perfect Holiday
    • The Red Lotus
    • Just an Ordinary Family
    Kelly Rimmer is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestselling author of ten novels, including The Secret Daughter and The Things We Cannot Say. She’s sold more than one million books, and her novels have been translated into more than 20 languages. Kelly lives in the Central West of New South Wales with her family and fantastically naughty dogs, Sully and Basil.