Start by marking “A Violet Fire” as Want to Read:
A Violet Fire

A Violet Fire

(Vampires in Avignon #1)

In the Vampire Stratocracy of Cain, human blood is scarce. For centuries, councils have sought to assuage the blood shortage by enslaving and breeding humans, turning them into profitable supply units for the rich and the abled.

Today, eighteen-year-old Wavorly Sterling is officially a supply unit, bound to serve her blood willingly to her master for the rest of her life.
Paperback, 1, 334 pages
Published December 9th 2019 by Kindle Independent Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Violet Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Violet Fire

Start your review of A Violet Fire
megs_bookrack
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Happy Book Birthday to this beauty!!! Available now!

Original: When Wavorly Sterling was a child, a vampire attack decimated the population of the town in which she lived.

In fact, she is the only known survivor, rescued, or captured, depending on your perspective, and brought to live within the Vampire Stratocracy of Cain.

Set in a dystopian world, where the blood supply is low, the Stratocracy has developed a vast and interesting system for raising 'human supply units'.

These supply units,
Felicia
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a closeted fan of vampire books, especially the YA genre, but if anybody asks me I'll deny it.

I watch the Twilight movies every. single. time. I see them on the guide, much to the chagrin of my bf. Again, I'll deny this fact.

And A Violet Fire is exactly why I'm such a fan of the genre.

It's not so much of an original storyline as it does have the typical ingredients: super hot vampire dude, willful chick who is, at first, immune to his wicked charms. However, I was pleasantly surprised
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Whoa! What an incredible Journey!

I like Vampire books, but have tended to stay away from books where the main character is a blood slave because that storyline just didn’t appeal to me. However, I requested this book from Netgalley for some reason and I ended up loving every minute of it. I have been reading it straight since I started and haven’t even stopped to eat dinner. It is now after midnight, so that tells you how much I liked it. My son even offered to make dinner But I was too
Dita
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dita by: megs_bookrack
Shelves: read-by-request
Do I read vampire books as a rule? Nope, but good writing is good writing and Kelsey Quick can write.

It takes a little longer to pull me into a genre that isn't "straight up stabby" but if an author can do that? Then I am willingly and happily along for the ride. Quick achieved this on page one and after that it was just fantastic storytelling. It's amazing to me that this is her debut novel.

The subplots were seamlessly woven through the main story, the character names were fun and even by the
Kelsey Quick
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
This little baby of mine is officially published! Check it out if you're curious about my vamps! ;)
Amazon Kindle

--UPDATED--
Hi everyone, thank you for your support thus far on my debut novel! I can't believe how many of you are genuinely interested in reading it! This is my first manuscript, my "heart" book... one that I was determined to throw out into the world despite industry-wide rejection. (Vampires just weren't cool enough to sign on from 2017-2018.) Thus, I self-edited (with the mentor
MissBecka
This book grabbed me right away and wouldn't let go.
The only time I was able to tear myself away from it was when my kindle battery died.
Stupid kindle.
Battery fired back up I was completely sucked (pun intended) back in again.
I am so freaking excited this is only the start of a series because I didn't get enough!
I am flabbergasted that this is her debut?!
The world building, the sideways storyline, the hawt hawt vampires...
Obsessed with it all!

Much love to NetGalley & Kelsey Quick for my
Dianne
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and intriguing, Kelsey Quick’s A VIOLET FIRE is a tale of passion, oppression and the power of the human will to survive against all odds, even if it means death. In a world where vampires rule, humanity is bred and enslaved as a food source, one teen, a rarity among the “herd,” knew freedom and is determined to find it again. What Wavorly did not expect was to share an emotional attraction with her master that overstepped all boundaries and clouded her vision of escape.

Steeped in rich
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
An amazing read, not a vampire love story, but a tale that will be spread over books. Engaging and thoroughly entertaining. Wavorly is an amazing character, so gutsy I loved her so much, we don’t get to know Zein too much as he’s kept quite withdrawn and it’s obvious we will learn over time. I can’t wait for the next.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Clockwork  Bibliophile
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sue's Romance Reviews
6+Stars. Can you say HELL YES!!!

Kelsey Quick is a new-to-me author and she made one heck of an impression on me with A Violet Fire!

Set in a time where humans are scarce and thus, so is the blood supply for vampires, humans are now serving at their whim. From breeding farms to brainwashing and sustenance for vampires, humans are completely dominated and oppressed.

Wavorly, however, has known freedom and the outside world. She bucks convention and all demands. She has a huge hate for vampires.
Katrina Forest
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who's enjoyed Holly Black's The Cruel Prince needs to read Kelsey Quick's A Violet Fire. It takes the same basic concept of being a rare human in world of magical, powerful creatures, and turns it into a kind of psychological drama with a fantasy backdrop. It's beautifully crafted, and the character development is top-notch. This book exemplifies what an active protagonist should look like--not jumping from one big, exciting event to another but pushing the plot forward with her ...more
Isabel
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this from Netgalley for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings expressed are my own.

This is quite possibly the worst book I've read in 2019. I was intrigued by the comparison done with The Handmaid's Tale and A Court of Thrones and Roses - but it does not even compare to those two.
The writing drags on, our main character Wavorly is bratty, unlikeable and is even lowkey slut-shamey. She dislikes girl a lot more than she dislikes men in the same conditions.
Zein is instantly
Laurab
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! The main character’s name is Waverly and as you read through the book her early life story starts to emerge. The complexity of her past and how she survived it and continues to try too not only survive, but live, in a society where humans are not the dominant species. She grows from a rebellious young girl to a woman with a purpose. I don’t want to say more about the plot because I don’t want to give anything away. The writing is descriptive and the plot moves along ...more
Bianca
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I honestly could not put this down. Absolutely enthralling and I was constantly kept on my toes. I frequently went from loving the main character to wanting to strangle her, yet it just made for an even more amazing read. Love what the author did with the characters and I can’t wait to see where this leads!
E.C. Farrell
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautifully written book. The prose is heartbreakingly gorgeous. Quick does an excellent job of crafting character arcs, an interesting and unique setting, and a fabulous twist on vampires. I read an early version and am so excited to read the updated one!
M I A | wldflowerbooks

**I received an e-ARC of A Violet Fire from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review--all thoughts and feelings expressed are my own.**
“Enslavement is still enslavement, no matter how soft the chains.”-Kelsey Quick, "A Violet Fire"

------------------------

I requested A Violet Fire from Netgalley because I was super intrigued by the synopsis. I have & always will love vampires...I have an extreme soft-spot for anything having to do with vampires. The synopsis promised an enemies-to-lovers
Katie Gallagher
Review to come!
Celaena
ARC provided by NetGalley and author for an honest review

Would you give your blood to a vampire in need? Even if it left you bedridden for hours, could you find yourslef selfless enough to do so?

A dystopian world where vampires are the majority and humans have become the minority.
The humans have been bred and raised within an academy, only learning what they need to know to serve one of five vampire rulers of the Stratocracy as a submissive servant, giving blood when needed or being sent to
Jade
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I should start this by informing anyone that reads this review by saying I may have a slight personal bias. I received this book free from the author, and even after I had trouble downloading the initial link she gave her FF readers, she personally helped me and sent me a link so I had the chance to read her work. That being said I'm going to give the most honest review I'm capable of, I just thought I should give everyone context ahead of time.

Alright, on to the review.

I have to say I
A_Girl_Reads
Shelves: young-adult
4,75

I looove this book. I'm so happy that vampires are officially back in the YA genre. The plot was engaging and had some twists I didn’t see coming but thoroughly enjoyed, the writing was easy to follow and the characters were relatable and full of life. I had so many emotions while reading this, and for me, that’s the element that makes a book a good one.

A Violet Fire is a dystopian novel in which vampires rule the world and use humans as their blood supplies. Men and women born in the
Meaghan
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Vampires are really letting me down in 2019. Is this replacing my mermaid disappointment trend of 2018?
Kelly
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

Today, I was in the mood for a vampire book that would give me all the feels. I'm not ashamed to say I love watching the Twilight movies once in a while. It's been a long time since I've read a book with vampires and I remembered I had an ARC that could be exactly what I needed. Immediately, A Violet Fire drew me in and I couldn't put it down.

I wanted something a little cheesy (but not in a bad way) and I feel like this book delivered the right amount. To tell you the truth, I'm not
Dannon Hewitt
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read to many vampire books other than twilight.... but this is already better than that!!! I’m dying for the second book!!!!! I hate reading a book when the whole series isn’t out because I’m so impatient I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS! Wave is such an inspirational character she is so strong and feels so deeply for her friends even though they don’t really understand. And zein ugh I want to hate him and I kinda do I think but I always have a crush on a vampire but I’m trying to move my ...more
Chris D
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Violet Fire is fresh take on the fantasy genre. The world of Wavorly is one crisply written. You can feel the leaves as they brush across Wavorly's face, you can clearly picture Zein's daunting castle at dusk. In today's society, books are more published for reads and not for the art of literature. Authors do not describe the worlds they write with near as much enthusiasm as they should. Kelsey Quick, however, has done exactly that. She created a world- a bleak, desperate world in which the ...more
Sara, Of A Certain Page
This review was also posted on my blog: https://ofacertainpage.home.blog/2019...

A Violet Fire, on the surface, reads as just any standard vampire YA novel. At first glance, it feels just as one in a string of publications that reached its height in pop culture circa 2010. I was gladly mistaken when the author broke from the standard and upated the genre to 2019’s awareness.

Wavorly Sterling’s treatment at her Nightingale school, prior to being taken to Lord Zein’s estate, is strongly written, and
Meghan (TheBookGoblin)
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

Actual rating 2.5 stars

If I was basing this review on only the first 1/3 of the book, the rating would be much higher. I was intrigued at first by the opening action and the tension of the choosing ceremony and the twists, but after that things just became...meh.

The Good: I found the world very interesting, and the idea of a vampire-run society kind of cool, although not entirely original. I also liked the political conflict side of the
Juri Pagador
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~ An e-ARC was provided by NetGalley and the publisher to this user in exchange for an honest review. All opinions stated in this review are mine and mine alone.~

THIS BOOK! I never expected to be so invested in multiple books just one after the other but in my case, it happened! This book got me hooked and reading through it was a hell of a roller coaster ride!

Okay, at first, I didn't have much expectations for this one because a vampiric dystopia sounds like a odd combination to me since I
Beverly
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I want to say I received this book for free in a Goodreads contest. This book was great, it had a lots of turns in the plot. There were many times I was wondering what Wave was going to do to escape from Zein. I could not tell right away if Zein was a good vampire, as I have many books with good vampires in them. I can't wait until the second book comes out for sale.
Thank you Kelsey Quick for sending this to me.
Enigma
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: like-it, read-in-2019
3.75/5
'The Violet Fire' provides a refreshing twist on the usual vampire romance that will definitely not disappoint you.

In a world where humans act as supply units to supply their vampire master with blood, Wavorly is one of the few humans not bred by Cain and she unwilling serves her master. Throughout the book, she uncovers the truth of vampires and their relationship with humans.

The setting is thought out and very well written. It really challenges the usual vampire YA books. There are so
Lauren
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: la-romance
What do I want to say about this book? First off, I really liked it. I stayed up a little too late reading it and then immediately picked it up again when I woke up. I was fascinated by the story because I had no idea where it was going and honestly, that's a satisfying trait in a book. It can be nice to know how a book is going to end, but it's much more fun to be surprised.

The writing style was also highly enjoyable. I liked the sarcastic tone of the main character, and that bled into the
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Violet Fire—What did you think? 2 6 Nov 10, 2019 12:39PM
Interested in A Violet Fire? Check it out before everyone else --> A Violet Fire - First Chapter & Book Trailer

For business requests or rights information, please email me here: contact@avioletfire.com

A Violet Fire is distributed by IngramSpark (Lightning Source)

Kelsey Quick never thought she was a writer until she stumbled upon the world of fanfiction just four years ago. Within 6 months,

• The Weight of a Soul
  • The Orchid Throne (Forgotten Empires, #1)
  • The Weaver (Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Cupid's Match
  • The Shrike & the Shadows
  • The Memory Thief
  • Slumber
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Fortuna Sworn (Fortuna Sworn, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • A Thousand Fires
“Enslavement is still enslavement, no matter how soft the chains.” 1 likes
“In a world where survival relies on a greater power, all freedom can ever be is an insipid ideology. It is a fruitless word crafted for the weak.” 0 likes