Start by marking “Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)

Knightmare Arcanist

(Frith Chronicles #1)

Magic. Sailing. A murderer among heroes.

Gravedigger Volke Savan wants nothing more than to be like his hero, the legendary magical swashbuckler, Gregory Ruma. First he needs to become an arcanist, someone capable of wielding magic, which requires bonding with a mythical creature. And he’ll take anything—a pegasus, a griffin, a ravenous hydra—maybe even a leviathan, like
Published June 18th 2019 by Capital Station Books

To ask other readers questions about Knightmare Arcanist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knightmare Arcanist

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins ReidThe Silent Patient by Alex MichaelidesThe Wicked King by Holly BlackRed, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuistonThe Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden
Best Books of 2019
1,167 books — 1,880 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHoles by Louis SacharEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Books for Teen Boys
1,308 books — 1,551 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
A.D.
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything is fine until Volke tries to bond with a phoenix. Shortly afterwords, a knightmare named Luthair bonds with him and they join a guild. When Luthair declares Volke's idol a murderer, it leads to an exiting adventure that fans will love... assuming Volke and Luthair don't scare them first.

It's funny and has a nice bit of sarcasm to it.

It's mystery, after mystery, and doubt after failure.

It's action packed and will leave fans hoping for more.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Knightmare Arcanist is the first book in the Frith Chronicles, and not only will it have you engrossed from the first sentence, but it will definitely leave you wanting more. This is described as Flintlock Fantasy, and I think that is perfect.

Ms. Stovall starts with the world-building immediately, as our two main characters are both apprentice grave-diggers. You find out just what this entails, and how it affects their 'standing' with the community. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about their worl
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Knightmare Arcanist by Shami Stovall was rollicking good fun! It's Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series for YA readers. Stovall is quickly becoming a name I look for. I've read a few of her other works, and she's great at adjusting genres!

We follow Volke, an orphan on the Isle of Ruma, who wants nothing more than to be an Arcanist. These magic users bond with mystical creatures that determine how the magic manifests. Though prohibited from formally participating in the isle's Phoenix Trials to bond
Anahad
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got a paperback copy of this book from my cousin (he got his copy from the author) and simply loved it. The action starts from the beginning and keep building up. The book is full of funny dialogue and high tension situations. I'm going to read the 2nd book now.
David S Meanderings)
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. RTC
Devyani
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is part of the #KnightmareArcanist #UltimateBlogTour hosted by TheWritereads
Thanks a ton, Dave from @TheWriteReads and the author- Shami Stovall, for giving me this opportunity and providing me with a free e-book copy of ‘Knightmare Arcanist’ on exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.

Knightmare Arcanist is a heroic tale of Volke Savan and his five magic wielder friends who aspire to be influential master arcanists someday and be the paragon of heroism and valour!

Arcanists are po
Mary Yarde
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"No one could stop me from proving myself to a phoenix. No one..."

But the Island of Ruma was founded on tradition. Only those deemed worthy by Schoolmaster Tyms could participate in the Trial of Worth. This year Tyms had deemed Zaxis and Atty deserving of such an honour. There was no one else, or so Tyms thought.

Volke Savan was a gravedigger. His parents were criminals. He was a nobody. He was nothing. Who was he to think he had the skills or the knowledge to become an arcanist?

Growing up with t
Paula Dyches
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun new series! This book has a well planned and thought out fantasy world, fun characters, and a fun spin on magic. The narration is great and fun to listen to. I would say that this is written for the middle school age and older crowd due to some minor language and writing style. It was a fun book an I am looking forward to the next one in the series.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Heidi [Reviews by Lemon]
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019, arc-s
In this review, there will be spoilers present. Proceed with caution!

I started this book with great hopes about the premise because it sounded highly interesting. It didn’t take long until I became quite disappointed, however.

The characters did not impress me. They were quite two dimensional and didn’t quite manage to capture me. I did not care for what happened to them because it was obvious what would happen either way. Volke’s rivals are your typical bullies, but they went out of their wa
Annie Rosendale
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Knightmare Arcanist is an excellent book that I would strongly recommend to people; another by an Author whose work I am coming to love. This book features extremely strong characters, an exciting magical system and world, and a tale that is quite enjoyable.

The characters and their interactions are probably the single strongest aspect of this book. Eventually, there are six young arcanists and their six eladrins (magical companions) that all have distinct personalities, from the driven do-good
Ally Swanson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A couple months ago, I had the chance to read and review Shami Stovall’s other book, “The Ethereal Squadron,” and I really enjoyed it. So, I was thrilled to get the chance to read her latest work, “Knightmare Arcanist.”

This book took me on a magical adventure that was filled with innovative, mystical possibilities, clever storylines, and well-developed characters – or technically well-developed creatures!

This book was such a beautiful, intriguing, grim, and fascinating grown-up fairytale!

This bo
Dini - dinipandareads
When I read the description: "Magic. Sailing. A murder among heroes" I knew immediately that I wanted to read this book. It was such an adventure and I was pleasantly surprised to find how much I enjoyed it! While nothing really unexpected happened and the plot was kind of easy to predict, there are times you just need a book where you can shut your mind off and simply enjoy the ride the author takes you on--and this was definitely a fun ride the whole way through!

Stovall's writing flowed well a
T.S.
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this first installment in Frith Chronicles series, Shami Stovall tells the story of Gravedigger Volke Savan who has seen just one dream: to be an arcanist—an individual capable of wielding magic, and leave his gravedigger’s life behind. Volke faces a multitude of hurdles and beats tremendous odds to bond with the mystical knightmare—a creature made of shadow and terror, and realizes his lifelong dream of becoming an arcanist. He can wield magic now, and he gets to train near Master Arcanist G ...more
Enzo
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a recommendation of a friend and it really worked out. I was completely surprised at the world painted by Shami Stovall. I really loved it.
Since its still pretty new have to be careful not to overstep.
In the Isle of Ruma, two orphans dream big. They are apprentices to the Gravedigger. Their dreams are to leave Ruma, and the only way is to become Archanist. Archanist are a sort of magicians that have bond with Mystical Creatures. But the rule in Ruma is that only the pure can try for t
Tharsult
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolutely fantastic start to what I believe will be an excellent series. It is a "juvenile" fantasy, targeted at teenagers, but easily able to be read by adults... except that it does seem to get a bit dark with what another reviewer called "Body Horror" at a couple points for those that worry about that.

This book has excellent characters, starting with the standard "hero's journey" lead seeking to overcome his circumstances of birth, and diversifying into an array of people;
Margaret Adelle
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another killer book from Shami Stovall! Our main character Volke was so earnest and dedicated. The plot was intriguing and the world in-depth. There were redemption arcs and giant monster battles (Shami knows how to end a book with a bang).

The only thing I could say against it was that I wished the Ruma reveal hadn't been laid out in the synopsis. It would have had more punch if it had been left secret until the reveal mid-story. But the reasons behind his actions was heartbreaking... and distu
Adam
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a young adult fantasy with exceptional world building, you will find it here. The magical system was well thought out, where characters gained their powers from a mystical creature that they bonded with. The mystical creatures would determine the unique powers that a person would gain. This allowed for a variety of powers unique to different people. The characters in the story are all strong characters, each with backstories of their own. The entire story was well written, ...more
Ghost
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 5, ya
A fast-paced YA action fantasy. The Knightmare Arcanist has superb world building and that world is populated by some fabulous creatures (I’m a total fan of Luthair). There is a full gamut of well-developed characters which range from fun through nasty all the way to downright crazy. Interesting themes are wound through the story and played out in action. The writing is crisp and concise.

I’d recommend this to anyone interested in YA fantasy!
Truly Trendy PR
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Knightmare Arcanist is the first book in the Frith Chronicles series written by Shami Stovall and is a young adult novel. A captivating action packed mystery that you will not wan to put down. Knightmare Arcanist has an impressive premise, a solid plot, and great action. A well-written story with well-developed characters that will leave you wanting more.
Mik Wasiak
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It very similar to black clover anime and good read I really like enjoy the story and characters
Tejas
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book

This book was a great start to new series and perfect for fans of action and fantasy. A must read.
Jasmine
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. As someone with a slight obsession with phoenixes (my son's name is even Phoenix), the moment I laid eyes on this cover and read the synopsis, I was hooked. I knew I had to read this story. And I was definitely not disappointed.

First off, the cover is gorgeous. It's absolutely stunning, and I love it so much.

Second, I really felt a connection with Volke. He's considered worthless on his home island because he's a lowly gravedigger. And the only reason he's stuck wit
Holly
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TL;DR – A superb start to what I’m sure will be a spectacular series!

Ragdoll Rating: 5/5 Buttons

Recommended For: Anyone who loves an easy-to-read tale of magic and heroism

About the Book…

Knightmare Arcanist is the first book in the Frith Chronicles series. It follows a Volke, a gravediggers apprentice who yearns to be an arcanist – a magician paired for life to a magical creature, capable of amazing feats. But the circumstances of his birth make this dream unlikely, until one day everything chang
Ashley Dawn
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author may be a new favorite of mine. I was drawn in from the start and the author didn't really slow at all. The world building and set up are done expertly. I absolutely loved all the creatures. Some I already knew about but there were some amazing new ones that you will love to get to know. The bonding and how the magic manifests is fascinating and I couldn't read the pages fast enough.

The characters, oh the characters! Volke is determined to be an arcanist and is bullheaded enough to ma
Brandon
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While not a book that hooked me in immediately, it continued to build and by mid-book I didn't want to put it down.

Volke is a relatable character, not supremely and unnaturally talented, but determined and hard-working. It is so common to have a main character with a "rival" that takes any opportunities to take jabs and exact petty revenge upon them that it was refreshing to see Volke not do so despite provocation and perhaps some small inclination.

While there was not necessarily any plot twis
Sallianne Hines
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all ages, all genders
Stovall has built a fascinating world for the adventures and coming of age of these apprentice archanists and their pair-bonded magical creatures. The characters are well drawn and grow, and that will likely continue with more in the series. We root for the "underdog," yet he and his "sister" are also paired with privileged apprentices and all learn from each other and find ways to become a team. I especially love the Pillar of Virtues as an underlying theme. Has the appeal and potential growth ...more
Brendan Gaughan
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Really enjoyable book. Loved the story and the magic system. Really looking forward to reading the second book when it comes out

Edit: 28 Aug 2019 - I spotted the Author giving away a free copy of the audiobook on audioboom so I jumped at a chance to pick up the audio too!

Disclaimer I as given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.

5 out of 5 stars.

Loved the narration, the story is great, same as above, really looking forward to the sequel.
Louise Page
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The story jumps right in, but doesn't either make it too confusing or spoon-feed you. You are introduced to the main character, who you are straight away rooting for, and continue to do so the entire way. Their are some surprising twists along the way, and some you may have seen coming, but the type that do make you doubt your own assumptions. I can not wait for the next book!
Reena
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Knightmare Arcanist" is an amazing read! The world building is excellent and unique, the plot fast-paced and gripping and the characters so well developed that I feel like I personally knew them. If you like magic, adventure, fantasy and a tight storyline, then this story will leave you breathless and wanting for more. I certainly want more and I can't wait for the next installment in the series!
Veselina
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange of honest review!
Wow, what a book. I will need some time to process it all.
I love books for magical creatures and human bonding together but this book is so much more.
Although I have read something similar never like this book.
I just can't put it in the right words-magic, magical creatures and academy training the young people - what not to love. And there is so much potential in this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant #4)
  • The Beast and the Bethany
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Heart's Darkness (The Magician's Brother, #5)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • The Magician's Brother (The Magician's Brother, #1)
  • Hollow Core (School of Swords and Serpents, #1)
  • Archon's Hope (The Magician's Brother, #3)
  • The Sorcerer's Loss (The Magician's Brother, #2)
  • The Ship of Shadows
  • The First War (A Thousand Li #3)
  • Shadowborn's Terror (The Magician's Brother, #4)
  • Scholar of Magic (Art of the Adept Book 3)
  • Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)
  • Eclipse Core (School of Swords and Serpents, #2)
  • Aether's Blessing (Aether's Revival, #1)
  • Chaos Rising (Elemental Gatherers, #2)
Shami Stovall is a multi-award-winning author of fantasy and science fiction, with several best-selling novels under her belt. Before that, she taught history and criminal law at the college level, and loved every second. When she’s not reading fascinating articles and books about ancient China or the Byzantine Empire, Stovall can be found playing way too many video games, especially RPGs and tact ...more

Frith Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dread Pirate Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #2)
  • Coliseum Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #3)
  • Plague Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #4)