Start by marking “The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)

The Vanishing

(Fogg Lake #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz comes a new gripping romantic suspense trilogy fraught with danger and enigma.

Forty years ago in the small town of Fogg Lake, "The Incident" occurred: an explosion in the cave system that released unknown gases, causing peculiar effects on its residents, such as strange visions and ominous voices. Not wanting the
Expected publication: January 7th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanishing

Start your review of The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
Beth
Every once in a while you pick up a book that blows you away. Bravo, Jayne Ann Krentz, because The Vanishing was mind blowing with its utterly original plot.

The government was secretly experimenting with all things paranormal. When something goes drastically wrong, the entire town's inhalants of Fogg Lake are transformed into something more. This story follows Catalina as she tries to rescue her life long friend Olivia from people who want information that might be locked away in her
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
FULL REVIEW WILL BE ON JANUARY 7, 2020.

A murder witnessed by Catalina and Olivia when they were teenagers has come to the surface after 15 years, and neither of the girls knows they are in danger.

Both girls have psychic abilities and see auras.

I am not really into the paranormal genre, but there was enough suspense and mystery to keep my attention and to keep me reading.

Those readers who enjoy this genre will definitely be treated to an excellent book. 4/5

This book was given to me by the
Silvia
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway, I think. I don’t remember entering but boy am I ever glad that I won.

This author is new to me and I have another book of hers, Secret Sisters, in a stack of physical books (as opposed to ebooks) I have yet to read and it looks like it gets moved to the top.

The Vanishing is about the Fogg Lake community set in an out of the way location. There are no modern electronic conveniences such as wi-fi, cell phones, or computers available probably because the town is
AC
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was such a good read that I didn’t want to put it down. It excited me from the very first chapter. The story was interestingly unique and the writing flowed so smoothly that chapters just flew by. I can’t wait to see if there will be another installment. A perfectly moody mystery for a rainy day or dark evening.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish.

Am I missing something? Is there a book where the backstory of the town and the main male character is mentioned? There is so much information in the beginning of this book and I feel like I am missing something. I tried to research to see if the mysterious company was ever mentioned in a previous book, but didn't see anything.

It was too much for me to follow along and the book was unable to keep my interest.
☕️Kimberly
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
. Full RTC
Alyson Kent
Katie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review was copied from my romance novel review blog: romanticallyinclinedreviews.com

Jayne Ann Krentz is an automatic buy. I don't even bother reading the blurb anymore. Just click that order button and then wait for my book to come in the mail. That's right. I'm paying hardcover prices for Krentz books. That should tell you how much I adore them. Of course, it's part nostalgia given that she was the author who turned me onto the romance genre as a whole.

No one writes romantic suspense like
Jennifer Garber
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I have never read a Jayne Ann Krentz novel. Yes, I know, that is amazing given the number of books she has written. The Vanishing is her newest novel and it is due to be published in January 2020. Thank you to Berkley Publishing for the early reader's copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This story (the first of a series of three per the jacket) is a combination of a paranormal mystery and a romance. The main character, Catalina, can see auras due to her family's
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
4.5 stars. Review to come.
Elizabeth
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won an ARC of The Vanishing and was so excited because my mother and I used to read everything by Jayne Ann Krentz under all of her pseudonyms. This book means more to me than just a story but I'm happy that the story is so good.

Cat Lark is having a bad day, press on her doorstep, missing partner and then Slater Arganbright shows up. What follows is classic Krentz, a compelling mystery with a little bit of romance thrown in for spice. Continuing in her series of paranormal novels, The
Alicia Cronin
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharon
Catalina's best friend has disappeared, and even she- a private investigator with more than a touch of paranormal abilities- could use some help finding Olivia before it's too late.
Enter Slater Arganbright, the nephew of the head of a shadowy organization that Catalina has had run ins with before. Reluctantly, Catalina agrees to team up with the handsome, and well connected stranger, who appears to have some talent of his own.
Following clues that lead them to Fogg Lake, her childhood town,
Kari Marie
The Vanishing by Jane Ann Krentz was a fun fast read. I read it in what felt like seconds. Two woman who grew in up in a special town now live in the big city. They have their own places and have started a new company which is taking off. Olivia, one of the friends goes missing, The friend left behind, Catalina, coincidentally meets a stranger from an organization she does not trust. The stranger, Slater, came to Catalina for help but it looks like they need each other to solve a missing person ...more
Amanda
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway (thanks Berkley/Penguin Random House!). Love. I just love everything by Jayne Ann Krentz and this is no exception. One of the things that I love most about Krentz is that she immediately thrusts you into the story. I find that a lot of thriller/suspense novels (both romance and non-romance) take about 75-100 to really get the story going. Not so with this book - you're in from the beginning! For longtime Krentz readers, I think this is a little ...more
Cheryl Smith
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of The Vanishing by participating in the July 2019 Facebook sweepstakes by Berkley Publishing! This book does not disappoint. I read until 2:00 a.m. and work the next day was long! From page 1, I was totally engaged. The character depth and mystery/murder along with the paranormal “other sight” combine to create a mesmerizing story I could not read fast enough. Jayne Ann Krentz creates characters so real and weaves a web that keeps you in suspense to the very end. I loved the ...more
MAB  LongBeach
Another solid romantic suspense from Krentz. It returns to her psychic characters, although there is no sign of the Arcane Society. (There are, however, hints of a connection to Harmony.)

Decades ago, the small town of Fogg Cove experienced an explosion in the local caves which left its inhabitants and the descendents with psychic abilities. When teenagers Catalina and Olivia witness a murder in the caves, no one believes them, thinking it merely hallucinations from their budding powers.

Years
Carrie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catalina and Olivia are not normal, and neither is the town they grew up in. However, they have found a formula for using their talents and surviving out in the real world, away from their hometown. Now, someone has come after them, and it all has to do with something they witnessed in the caves back home over 15 years ago. Can Catalina join forces with Slater, from the mysterious Foundation, and find Olivia in time? Will the pull she feels for Slater blind her to the truth, or lead her to her ...more
Pilar Seacord
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this story. Was not sure if I would. Catalina and Slater are great together. The story flowed so I did not get bored. Cat's friend and partner Olivia gets kidnapped. Slater whose uncle caused her no end of trouble, shows up because he heard about Olivia. The one thing that really bothered me was the jerk that took advantage of the heroine and seemed to get rewarded for it at the end. There are caves, woods, fun, sarcasm, hallucinations and adventure. Won an ARC for an honest opinion ...more
Jamee Pritchard
The Vanishing is definitely a great start to a paranormal detective series, but I do feel that the romance in the novel seemed forced and unnecessary to the storyline. I enjoyed the central, paranormal mystery of the novel and the intrigue of the paranormal research firm called the Foundation and town of Fogg Lake. I hope to see a continuation of this story that further explains the history of the organizations mentioned.
Widget
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine addition to this author's body of work. For some reason I had a tough time getting into the flow at the beginning but it came to a statisfying end like all Krentz's stories. Although it was a fun read, nothing stood out as new or innovative from all her other contemporary paranormal novels. A good read for fans of this author or for new readers looking for a paranormal thriller. My thanks to the publisher & Netgalley for access to an ARC.
Kathy
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay! Krentz is back! The last few Krentz's have been...well, kind of lackluster...but in The Vanishing she's back in fine form. I was also super pleased that she's back to the psychic powers plots, which I have to admit I really missed. In the Vanishing, Krentz introduces a new setting to her world, Fogg Lake, which has lots of mysteries just begging to be explored. I flew through this book and can't wait for the rest of the Fogg Lake series!
Kalyn
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent start to Krentz's latest series. With her signature blend of the paranormal and normal, Krentz has created a world where the fallout from government experiments decades ago come to service when murders and a kidnapping lead back to the event of 15 years ago. Like all Krentz novels, once you start reading it's hard to stop. I can't wait for the next Fogg Lake novel!
Deborah
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advanced-read
I received an Advanced Reader Copy from Goodreads and Berkley Publishers in return for a review (albeit a short one due to time restraints).

This is another solid entry in a new series from Jayne Ann Krentz. Strong characters, good use of humor and solid plotting are what make her books a step above many others in this genre. Krentz/Quick is the only romance author that I consistently read.
JPerceval
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an ARC, and I'm tickled I got to read it early. Fans of Krentz will not be disappointed - The Vanishing has all her hallmarks that make her a favorite of mine, including a plot about paranormal abilities and a plucky heroine using her abilities to find her missing friend, alongside a brooding hero who sees a larger conspiracy. This is an excellent start to a new series!
Kathy Cvetnich
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this ARC. The amazing action packed story of Fogg Lake, paranormal and those who grew up there. Murder, getting rid of witnesses many years later and love. With all this going on there is Love, can’t wait to read more from this author, and hopefully more about Fogg lake. Loved it, read in less than 24 hours even with life interruptions.
Natalie
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received an ARC courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley

I started reading this author and her Amanda Quick books when she was writing the Arcane Society series, and I appreciated the return to similar concepts with this series.
Kelly
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thankful to get an ARC of this novel. Loved it ! Love murder mysteries that involve people with psychic abilities. Great story. Very well written ! Looking forward to the next one ! Should be a great series !
Sally Tomaszewski
I had a hard time getting interested in the story; felt like I was missing the beginning. Maybe there’s a book before this one? By the middle it picked up and I enjoyed it, but still felt incomplete. On the back cover it says this is part of a trilogy - which part is it? First, middle or last?
TC
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Jayne Ann Krentz fan forever. I sincerely hope this is the beginning of a new series. Lots of intrigue, paranormal adventures, likeable characters, a smidge of a cliff hanger (can't wait for the next one). Who could ask for anything more?

• Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • After Sundown
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • The Seekers (Krewe of Hunters #28)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • The Stalking (Krewe of Hunters #29)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • The New Husband
  • Strangers She Knows (Cape Charade, #3)
  • The Shape of Night
  • All Fired Up
  • The Way Back to You (Blessings, Georgia #9)
  • Stealing Kisses in the Snow (Rendezvous Falls, #2)
  • Met Her Match
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters