Start by marking “The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)

The Vanishing

(Fogg Lake #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz comes a new gripping romantic suspense trilogy fraught with danger and enigma.

Forty years ago in the small town of Fogg Lake, "The Incident" occurred: an explosion in the cave system that released unknown gases, causing peculiar effects on its residents, such as strange visions and ominous voices. Not wanting the gove
Published January 7th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing, please sign up.
Barbara Schultz Oops so I get Olivia's last name correct and misspell her first name :( …moreOops so I get Olivia's last name correct and misspell her first name :( (less)

Start your review of The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
Kaceey
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75*
Can we just begin by saying what a gorgeous cover this is?!🤩
Jayne Ann Krentz has been writing romantic suspense novels for years, and somehow never had a chance to pick one up! Not sure how I missed her all this time!💁🏻‍♀️ Better late than never!

In Ms. Krentz's latest release she’s added an element of paranormal to her story-line.
Catalina and Olivia have been friends their entire lives, growing up in Fogg Lake. (Love that name!) An off the beaten path little community. A safe place to rais
Susanne  Strong
3.5 Stars

The town of Fogg Lake has a secret. One they’d prefer to keep hidden.

Years ago, the town underwent a scientific experiment known as “The Incident.” The town and its residents were impacted. Catalina Lark and Olivia Dayton were hiding in the cave in Fogg Lake when an explosion took place and as a result, they have what some might call “other sight.”

Now living in Seattle, Catalina and Olivia run a highly successful PI business, which is in part, due to their unusual talents. One night
Christine
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jayne Ann Krentz never disappoints. I have so many of her books on my shelf.
This is a gripping read!
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

Catalina and Olivia grew up in Fogg Lake where the town went through some sort of “incident” forty years back that left most with special/supernatural powers. Because of this the residents try to keep the town off the radar from outsiders, knowing how most of the world views claims of paranormal activity or sensitivity. They don’t want to become lab rats or have scientists descend onto the town making it their personal laboratory.

As teenagers, Catalina and Olivia witness a murder, thou
Melissa
Sep 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish.

Am I missing something? Is there a book where the backstory of the town and the main male character is mentioned? There is so much information in the beginning of this book and I feel like I am missing something. I tried to research to see if the mysterious company was ever mentioned in a previous book, but didn't see anything.

It was too much for me to follow along and the book was unable to keep my interest.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Very disappointed. No depth to characters or plot. Poorly developed back story of the town of Fogg lake. No tension with the "bad guys". Everything felt juvenile and hard to believe. With paranormal, an author needs to make the paranormal elements feel believable. This didn't happen for me at all.

It seems like all JAK' h's have a recent breakup with the same 2 dimensional jerk. The relationship of Slater and Caterina felt extremely rushed.

The last chapters felt more like a download of wrapping
Alyson Kent
Beth
Every once in a while you pick up a book that blows you away. Bravo, Jayne Ann Krentz, because The Vanishing was mind blowing with its utterly original plot.

The government was secretly experimenting with all things paranormal. When something goes drastically wrong, the entire town's inhalants of Fogg Lake are transformed into something more. This story follows Catalina as she tries to rescue her life long friend Olivia from people who want information that might be locked away in her subconsciou
Barb in Maryland
3.5 stars for the first in a new series from one of my favorite authors.

Really, the story itself is worth 3 stars, as there is nothing really new here. The characters are engaging and likeable; the mystery part is fairly clever; and it has a modicum of zing.
But I could actually see the gears moving in this one--not a good sign.

However, I have been reading the author's books since 1979. There is just something in her style that really clicks with me. So even though I found this to be merely okay,
Bookphenomena (Micky)

A very readable suspense/thriller with a romance that wasn’t overly convincing but it wasn’t the main stage at all, so it didn’t spoil the show. Set around a town called Fogg Lake, known for its strange folks, this story was shrouded in mystery as well as fog.

The story started with great traction, in the city and two private investigators who were ex-Fogg Lake residents. The whole legacy of that small town was interesting and in some ways, I wanted a bit more about the town and less abo
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
A murder witnessed by Catalina and Olivia when they were teenagers has come to the surface after 15 years, and neither of the girls knows they are in danger.

Well...Catalina realizes something is up when Olivia is kidnapped.

The girls have a unique skill since an explosion in their town had occurred when they were teenagers....they have psychic abilities and see auras.

Hopefully their abilities will be able to save Olivia and will guide Catalina to her.

We follow the characters and the story line in
Lisa
May 24, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, Jayne, but I'm afraid it's time we broke up. It's not me, it's you. Or your ghost writer or whoever it is who churns out these boring, emotionless stories these days.

I've been reading JAK books, in all her pseudonyms, for over a decade. I've devoured all the paranormal romances in the past, present and future timelines. I've read her contemporaries and her new 1920s series. I've even tracked down and read some of her really old books written under the Stephanie James name. And while not a
Laura (Kyahgirl)
There was a time that I liked most of the books by JAK but lately it seems that every one I try is painfully formulaic and just a repeat of every other one. I should stop trying this author I guess.
☕️Kimberly
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story opens with two young girls, Catalina Lark and Olivia Dayton, spending the night in the caverns at Fogg Lake. A ritual for teens in this tight-knit community with its spotty electricity and shared secrets. Only the girls witness a murder and escape by entering one of the side caves. There they encounter weird energy. In the morning they return home and share their gruesome tale. Convinced the girls were hallucinating, nothing comes of it and soon even the girls believe.

Fast-forward and
Kathleen
Book 1 in new contemporary fantasy-romance series. Pure trademark Krentz, featuring mirrors, secret laboratories, and paranormal abilities. We’ve got the lonely but brave heroes who become lovers, Catalina and Slater. We’ve got the loyal best friend, Olivia. Also the benevolent gay couple, Lucas and Victor. For readers of Krentz/Quick, there’s nothing new here, but for a dependable read, it’s just fine.

The backstory on Slater’s breakdown is never explained, but I could guess, having read enough
Marlene
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

This was the book I felt compelled to read this week – no matter what I put in my Sunday Post. I expected to be swept away by Krentz/Quick/Castle’s unique blend of romantic suspense and parapsychological woo-woo and that’s exactly what happened.

I also expect that Fogg Lake will somehow turn out to be just down the road from Scargill Cove, that the Bluestone Project will somehow turn out to be related to “Mad Scientist” Jones’ research or that The Foundation
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: Kindle Deal 11Apr20 for $3.99

On my to read list so it was a perfect day to pick it up.
Soo
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

There are a ton of bland UF stories on KU. It was great to read a solid UF from an author I like. The mystery wasn't that mysterious, but I enjoyed getting to know the characters and a nice spin on paranormal aspects.
Katie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review was copied from my romance novel review blog: romanticallyinclinedreviews.com

Jayne Ann Krentz is an automatic buy. I don't even bother reading the blurb anymore. Just click that order button and then wait for my book to come in the mail. That's right. I'm paying hardcover prices for Krentz books. That should tell you how much I adore them. Of course, it's part nostalgia given that she was the author who turned me onto the romance genre as a whole.

No one writes romantic suspense like Krent
Mara
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
As usual with her books, it was easy to read and lightly entertaining. But I wonder if she realised she’s in a writer’s hell: writing the same book all over again. Here she recycled almost every piece from her other books: the friends who witnessed a murder when young, the paranormal good guys AND the paranormal bad guys. The hero and the heroine (and their problems and characterisation). The town too..

Glad it was a loan.

Shawna
1 - Paranormal/Romantic Suspense

I couldn't get into this at all, even just listening to it. I don't think this author is for me.
Sophia
A new atmospheric romantic suspense series with a strong psychic element from this author will always get me perking right up and ready to grab it for a read. It only took the prologue to prove the high anticipation was not wasted.

The Vanishing is the first in a series centering on a remote community in the mountains where years before a government run paranormal lab's explosion had certain unique effects on the people of the nearby town and following generations. The lab and others like it were
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Jayne Ann Krentz is one of my ‘no worries, simply read’ author. She has always managed to lift my mood with her perfect mix of mystery and suspense in her story without too much drama. As Amanda Quick, she has written a lot of romantic suspense books with a paranormal angle, especially the Arcane Society series of which I have read a few. And I really have enjoyed reading them. There’s mystery, there’s romance, psychic protagonists adding a paranormal layer to the story with an eclectic mix of c ...more
Kirsten
A hit! I love Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick books and some of my favorites are the Arcane Society novels. This is not one of those but has the flavor of them. We have paranormal gifts again. Strong female leads. Strong men who are slightly damaged. A strange little town. And a cracking good mystery and chase. I loved it!!
Toya (the reading chemist)
I recently discovered romantic suspenses within the past year, and I have to say that they have become a fast favorite for me. Prior to The Vanishing, I hadn’t read any of Jayne Ann Krentz’s books, but after finishing this one, I will definitely be remedying that.

The inhabitants of Fogg Lake prefer you to not know about The Incident. The Incident was a gas explosion that resulted from a scientific experiment that took place in the caves, which left some of their people with the ability of ‘other
Misty's Book Space
I think this would be considered a paranormal romantic suspense mystery. I don't know I am not good with putting books into genres. I won this in a giveaway and when it came up on one of my TBR challenges I didn't even read the synopsis so I went in blind. Needless to say I wasn't expecting the paranormal aspect of it so that threw me off at first.

I listened to this while following along with the audiobook which just helps me to really focus in on the book more. While the descriptions of the "wo
JoAn
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Vanishing by Jayne Ann Krentz was a super beginning to the Fogg Lake series. I honestly could not put the book down.

Catalina and Olivia are from a small community called Fogg Lake where it is normal to have paranormal talents. I felt like I had come home again being in Ms. Krentz's paranormal world since I've read every one of her Arcane books. A suspenseful plot, several twists and well developed characters made this a perfect read for me.

I received a copy of this book from my public librar
Bea

Nothing new, classic Krentz, but entertaining and I want to read more in the series. I did guess one of the villains as soon as made an appearance but there were plenty of villains to go around and I didn't guess them all.
Kimberly
3.25 stars - Reviewed for Wit and Sin

Murder, mystery, psychics, auras, and a hint of romance make for a great combination in The Vanishing . Jayne Ann Krentz has kicked off her Fogg Lake series with a fast-paced, engaging story.

Decades ago, “The Incident” happened in Fogg Lake; an explosion in the caves that released gases and gave the residents and their decedents certain paranormal abilities. Catalina Lark grew up in Fogg Lake, but she and her best friend, Olivia, make their living as i

• The God Game
  • Close Up (Burning Cove #4)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • You Were There Too
  • Weekend Fling (Crazy Love, #4)
  • How Quickly She Disappears
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Meg and Jo
  • What Doesn't Kill Her (Cape Charade, #2)
  • The Dating Charade
  • Husband Material
  • Reverie
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • When We Were Vikings
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • The New Husband
  • American Dirt
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre

Fogg Lake (2 books)
  • All the Colors of Night (Fogg Lake #2)

Articles featuring this book

If you're looking for a new thriller that will keep you turning the pages long into the evening, you've come to the right place. To help you add...
“that old energy in the caves, you know. People who spend” 0 likes