Start by marking “The Legend of Griff” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Griff

The Legend of Griff

When a noble, orphaned farm boy discovers a magic sword in the woods one morning, he is forced by circumstance to embark upon a quest to liberate a kingdom, defeat a tyrannical king, and restore a princess to her rightful throne. You know… that old chestnut…

Unfortunately, things go horribly awry when shortly after beginning his journey, a terrible accident befalls our her
Published December 27th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Griff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Griff

Start your review of The Legend of Griff
Miranda Reads
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

Griff, a young(ish) goblin, is attempting to cross the great unknown with his faithful companion, a warg (giant wolf) named Boldolf.

However, Griff is not the hero of this story.

The real hero, Arn, is far more qualified.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
** I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Richard!!**

”He was oblivious to the fact that the person he had just killed was none other than the very hero of this story.”

When I picked up “The Legend of Griff” I thought that it would be a funny book, but the longer I read, the more I realized that it might have funny parts but that it was way more serious than I initially anticipated. So what I’m trying to say is that this is a really great fantasy book wit
Dana Ilie
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***** Book provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. *****
First I have to say that the message I receive from the author sold the book. This is how to approach a potential reviewer.
What I like most was the humor and the fantasy tropes twisted and turned…..
The hero from the village, is the Chosen One, he’s receiving a magical sword, and from there is something else. I don’t like spoilers so I tell you that this made the story more refreshing.

The writing is very good and for me the
Hamad
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“In the first place he was an orphan, and while this may not typically be a desirable lot in life, it is a universal truth that no one can ever aspire to becoming a hero with living, healthy parents getting in the way.”

🌟 I did now know what to expect when I was offered a review copy by the author, I read the synopsis and it sounded good, I am not a big fan of the cover as it looks juvenile but the story exceeded my expectations.

🌟 I was checking t
Bradley
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy
Competent and amusing, this fantasy turns the traditional fantasy trope on its head in a very familiar way. You know, get that hero-laden orphan, a magical sword of destiny... and kill him.

It's a thing, now. And at the moment, I'm still amused by the trend and would still like to see more of it... until I don't. :)

This particular book crams just a few days into its delightful pages, adding tons of cool and light-hearted plot that mixes in polite goblin hoards, jackass humans, a truly legendary
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to the author for a digital review copy of the book.

This is (which I didn’t realise at first) the first in a fantasy–adventure series complete with a prophecy, magic, mages, a tyrannical king, goblins, and trolls and fairies, even a storybook ‘hero’—all the usual ingredients but with a fun twist. In the Kingdom of Lohr, we meet different groups on missions, a bunch of trolls—mercenaries on the trail of someone; the group of people there are trailing, a motley lot including a mage carry
Leona  Petrovic
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fun concept, great execution.

I'd like to thank the author for granting me a free PDF in exchange for my honest thoughts in the form of a review. Let's do this!

The Legend of Griff is a one of a kind adventure story. It's uniqueness stems from the tropes it subverts and mocks. It uses the Chosen One trope but turns it on its head in a way that really made the story refreshing.

I enjoyed how the story takes the typical "Bad Guys" (aka Goblins, Trolls, etc) and let's us see through the eyes of one
 Teodora
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, on-app
I would like to thank the author for providing me with an electronic copy of his work!
My actual rating of the book: 3.5 stars

I liked the way this book was constructed. It was a very fun read and, now, let's be honest, everyone loves a fun read now and then. Humour is important, kids, and this book is full of it.
It is very imaginative. I can say with honesty that I have never read a book with this concept.

It is based on a quite picturesque idea and this is given away by the whole trolls, goblins
Faye*
Jul 20, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF

I kindly received this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The premise sounded fun and I thought that I would enjoy this novel but unfortunately, it wasn't really my thing. The start was pretty slow to me and I didn't vibe with the writing style. But I started this during a reading slump so maybe the book never had a fair chance, for which I'm really sorry. :( I just don't think that I will finish it anytime soon, so after almost 10 months, I'm going to officially mark it
Cyndi
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for asking me to read this book! It was excellent! Our hero falls into all the right categories. He is good and brave and handsome. Oh, and he is also an orphan. Which always seems to be a prerequisite. But then an interesting plot twist changes the hero to, umm, someone else. He is not all that good or brave or handsome. Nor is he an orphan. But he is loyal and faces lots of hardships.
This is a fantasy world with supernatural characters that is very well developed. The
The Cats’ Mother
I was approached by the author through GoodReads, to ask if I would review this book, and while my instincts told me to decline, since fantasy really isn’t my thing, I’d finally caught up with my NetGalleys, do try and read other genres from time to time, and have difficulty saying no when someone asks nicely, so was sent a free copy. The blurb suggested that it was a satire, and the other reviews were all positive, so I started it, but struggled when it became apparent that this was basically a ...more
Ina
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

When I received a message from Richard Sparrow about whether I'd like to read and review this book, I agreed, because even though it was obviously not my cup of tea (according to the synopsis), I've been meaning to broaden my reading horizons in 2019 (so far, unsuccessfully). However, I did not expect to enjoy The Legend of Griff as much as I did.

The thing is, even though I consider myself to be an avid fantasy fan, I'm more o
Martha b
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was provided to me for a review. I liked this book, what can you say about a book with trolls, goblins and magic. It was a cute fun book that was quite humorous and actually has a cliffhanger at the end .
Sahani Perera
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
What does a wizard, a warrior, elf, and a dwarf have in common? Is it possible for a goblin to be the central piece of the story? How does a human and a goblin work against a whole lot of trolls, watchmen, and abusive politicians?

Richard Sparrow takes care to answer these questions in his read The Legend of Griff consisting 47 chapters is the first installment of this series followed by its second installment titled, The Legend of Griff : Manslayer. Divided into 4 parts: Hedgehog Stew consisting
Tiera McMillian
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for me. So just to start off with the feel of the book I was getting "The Black Cauldron" vibes the entire time. I am not sure why.. maybe the pig farmer thing? The orphan and sword thing? I couldn't shake it throughout the story. I really loved the "spoof" factor in the book. The author seemed to take popular fantasy tropes and basically make fun of them in a very entertaining fantasy story. Instead of the handsome young hero with a tortured past off to save the world with his magic s ...more
Paul
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked how Sparrow uses several different points of view in telling the story, and sometimes scenes overlap which make for a good deal of fun in terms of perspective when each character tries to define his or her truth, or more likely who to finger for blame.

The humor in this book is all-encompassing. Physical humor, witty dialogue, and a lot of play on typical fantasy stereotyped characters.

My criticisms of the title lie in the narration and the plot line… at times there’s a proper narrator wh
Tala Wakanda
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Dougherty
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbrindr
A short, fun romp with some very on the nose humor. 3.5/5

This is a fun story that follows a few different characters around The Kingdom of Lohr. While most of the POV characters are pretty good I wasn't very engaged in Astrid's chapters.

Overall this book as some very promising moments. While the humor can be hit or miss it definitely adds a feeling of whimsy to the store and makes some of the more standard parts of the story enjoyable.

The only thing that stopped me from enjoying this further was
Celeste
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although part of the fantasy genre (trolls, goblins, dwarves, etc.), the author put his own little twists and turns that I thoroughly enjoyed throughout the novel (a bit of his own mix, the good kind I'd say). Not only was the story very well written, I appreciated the additional information the author provided in order to give the readers better context of the characters, the environment, and of the past that lead to the characters existence in the story. I also enjoyed and appreciated the hist ...more
Prof. Dr. Pablo Schabes
A wonderful piece of literature for all ages! It’s fun it’s humorous and very much in the tradition of fantasy reads. I would recommend it for middle aged children, hahaha! The characters are very well drawn and cannot wait for the sequel. I wish all success to the writer.

Wonderful piece of fiction , very well written with a strong sense of humor and in the tradition of recent works of fiction. I wish all the best to the creator and cannot wait for the continuation of the story... the cover illu
Doug
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and flamboyant

This book is reminiscent of some of my favorites. Christopher Moore and Terry Pratchett are clapping somewhere knowing another author is carrying the torch.

Griff is a splendid romp. Quirky and fun with enough twists to keep you reading past bedtime. I enjoyed the characters and plot line and will read the subsequent books. I recommend you do too.
Fiona Andrew
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dwarves, faeries, magicians, goblins, wargs, a prophecy, a mystical sword and a hero who gets killed halfway into the story. The Legend of Griff has all of the ingredients for a masterpiece of medieval fantasy -- even if it turns most of the typical tropes totally upside down.

Irreverent and gruff, aptly named Griff is the quintessential anti-hero. Through a series of unfortunate events, and totally against his wishes, an adolescent goblin finds himself taking on a grave responsibility that wasn'
Mitchell
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was asked by the author to check out this book and to give it a fair review, and I'm happy to do so. This seems to be Sparrow's first book and he did a very good job, especially light of that.

One doesn't have to look much past the cover of this book to get an idea of the central conceit. Sparrow has taken the typical fantasy trope of a young man plucked out of obscurity and thrown into some larger narrative that ends with him being a hero of legend/prophesy and consciously, in a very 4th-wall
Angela Juliar

• A Different Time
  • The Clothespin
  • David Mogo, Godhunter
  • ‫عَلِي بابا‬
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Dragon's Breath
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Syrian Brides
  • EMERALD THE MERMAID
  • Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)