Start by marking “The Beauty Geek's Guide to Skin Care: 1,000 Essential Definitions of Common Product Ingredients” as Want to Read:

Everything Every Beauty Geek Needs to Know About Skin Care

When it comes to finding the perfect formula for dewy and healthy skin, knowledge is power. That’s why skin care guru Deborah Burnes shares everything you need to know about essential ingredients in this book—so that you can give your skin exactly what it needs to glow.

Whether you’re making products for your own use
Published June 4th 2019 by Rockridge Press

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty Geek's Guide to Skin Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty Geek's Guide to Skin Care

Nora St Laurent
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Knowledge is power, the author says. She’s right. Reading this book reminded me of the first time I read a food label and tried to make sense of it. This is a very helpful tool. It will take practice to get the hang of the lingo used and understand the product options in the beauty business. The author said, “My goal is to make it simple for everyone to understand the options and decide what’s best for their skin.”

Which she does a great job of doing. She continues to say, …”how can we expect the
Janet
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this book via #NetGalley - I found it online and bought it as THAT WAS HOW MUCH I WANTED TO READ IT.
I was denied --- Calisto Media doesn't like me to review their books for some reason .... #YOURLOSS

Everything Every Beauty Geek Needs to Know About Skin Care

Annie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Beauty Geek's Guide to Skin Care is a new encyclopedia and guide to common ingredients included in commercial beauty product formulations. Author Deborah Burnes is a model, lifestyle and beauty blogger who became a natural beauty advocate after searching for healthy alternatives to commercially available products for her own use.

Due out 4th June 2019 from Rockridge Press, it's 190 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats. T
Kelsey
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Beauty Geek’s Guide to Skin Care is full of useful information if you are looking to learn more about what you are putting on your skin. The book is split into four sections: The Business of Skin, Caring for You Skin, Ingredient and Term Definitions, and DIY Skin Care Recipes.

I really enjoyed Deborah Burnes' Introduction as she talks about skin care in layman’s terms. Whether you know what steps to follow in a skincare routine or you have no idea what a toner is, the introduction is very in
Sharon
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book for review is “The Beauty Geek’s Guide To Skin Care” by Deborah Burnes. This falls in the genre of health/fitness and beauty/grooming according to the publishers.

Have you ever wondered what kind of ingredients are inside your beauty aids? You know like shampoo, conditions, moisturizers and more?

Before you get into the ingredients this book starts off with the chapter of the business of skin. This briefly covers the human skin such as : the myth of skin types, big business and how knowle
Christina Forster
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book is fantastic and jammed pack with information. The author starts out explaining our skin and how it works, common problems and explains how to take care of our skin. I loved that the author explained how important it also is to eat well, get enough sleep and basically take care of yourself holistically to help with your skin too.

The bulk of the book is a long list of ingredients, listed A-Z that are commonly found in skin care products. After each ingredient the author explains what i
Debra Indorato
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Debra by: Obtained as a review copy from a publishing club
I love receiving free books to read and review. There are so many skin care products on the market today it's hard to know what's good and what's not, what works and what doesn't, and which ones are a scam. In my attempt to reduce the number of chemicals I use in my daily care and focus on health and wellness which includes skin care I decided to choose this book. I am glad I did.

It was interesting reading about how and why the author decided to educate others to take care of their skin and know
Eva Lorenz
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever wanted what all these ingredients in your favorite creme and lipstick mean and whether they actually serve a purpose? Well, these questions can now be answered with the Geek Guide to Skin Care. Not only does the author cover more than 1000 possible ingredient in skin care products, but you can put your knowledge to the test by mixing your own potions. Recipes for such items as facial scrubs, toners and deep cleansers are included in the book as well.
What I really like about this book is th
Renee
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: callisto
I seem to accumulate an awful lot of products with a lot of ingredients that I can't (a) pronounce and (b) have no idea if they are harmful or helpful for my skin. For example, a friend recommended CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion, and when I looked at the ingredient list, there are 25(what)! Well, that is where The Beauty Geek’s Guide to Skin Care can really assist in your understanding of what you are actually putting on your skin.
Ingredients are listed alphabetically and there is a short
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are at all concerned about the ingredients in your skin care products, then this book will be a great resource for you. The definitions section of the book is packed with potential ingredients and explains what they are, what they do, and whether or not they are harmful and helpful. It's a dictionary of skin care. In addition, the author goes through the steps of a good skin care routine and an explanation of why skin care is so important not just for surface appearances but for your over ...more
Book Him Danno
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Title says it all The Beauty Geeks Guide to Skin Care! I have always struggle with my skin and how to care for it because of all the different products and cost of the products. Now with girls and boy who need to start taking care of their skin I am surrounded by endless ads and having no idea which really works and which is just a scam.

Deborah Burnes pretty much dumb down skin care without telling readers your stupid for not trying this before.
She makes it simple and easy without readers sp
Mary
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Become your own personal care advocate! We spend so much money on products that we have no idea what they are (nor can we pronounce them). As with our food, anything you put on your body should be ones that are healthy. The author gives several recipes and places where you can purchase items. Ms. Burnes does suggest you have a friend or two go in together to create your own products and that’s good advice as some of those items are on the expensive side. I’d be interested if this would work on t ...more
Deanna
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this!

I know enough about beauty and skincare to get me by, but there's a lot that I needed help with. One of my favorite things were the ingredients to look out for, the ones that are harmful but in so many products. I look at labels all the time but it's like reading another language to me, I have no idea what any of them mean and it can get overwhelming.

This book offered advice, information, and things to help with skin problems we all go through.

Recommend!
Jaclyn Lindsey
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
~I received this ARC in exchange for a honest review.~

Absolutely amazing! As a skin care and makeup junkie, this book is a God send. It's so incredibly detailed and we'll researched that I'm sure it's going to become a staple book on my shelf that I will reach for time and time again.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves skin care or just wants to learn more about what you're putting on your face.
Ro Scott
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is both a reference guide and an interesting read. I loved learning all about skin and what the different types of skin care is needed for your current skin condition or problem.
Erika Panaro
Jun 16, 2019
M
May 24, 2019
Jenny Houle
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is bursting with information yet doesn’t read completely like a textbook, which means that it’s both a reference guide and an interesting read. Just giving the definitions without first expanding on the importance of knowing them was what I was sort of expecting, so I was pleasantly surprised that was not the case. Burnes takes the time so that anyone who picks this book up can understand why certain things are better for better skin types, as well as all of the reasons skin care is so ...more
Susan Parham