Start by marking “The Scarecrow & George C” as Want to Read:
The Scarecrow & George C

The Scarecrow & George C

High school senior Van Liss is barely human. He thinks of himself as a scarecrow—ragged and unnerving, stuck, and destined to spend his life cold and alone. If he ever had feelings, they were stomped out long ago by his selfish mother and her lecherous boyfriend. All he’s been left with is bitter contempt, to which he clings.

With a rough exterior long used to keep the worl
ebook
Published June 3rd 2019 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about The Scarecrow & George C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarecrow & George C

Start your review of The Scarecrow & George C
Marti
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a simple, engaging and beautifully queer read. I really enjoyed it!
There is so much angst, but also a lot of happiness and hope.
It’s late, so full review to come.
*I received an early copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review*
Trigger warning: sexual harassment
For full review check here: https://bookishtreats.wordpress.com/2...
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
The Scarecrow & George C is the third book of Mia Kerick's I have read, and whilst I didn't enjoy it as much as The Princess of Baker Street, I still thoroughly enjoyed getting to know these characters.

Van (Donovan) is the Scarecrow in this scenario. Through childhood trauma, he is too scared of people to behave 'normally'. So he pushes everyone away, makes them afraid of him, and then feels the loss inside when they believe his facade. George C doesn't believe it though. He sees past that false
Joyfully Jay
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

2 stars

This book is not just written in the first person POV, it’s a book in which the characters — both Van and George — address the reader, breaking the fourth wall with all the smug arrogance of much smarter people deigning to address the common folk, and it gets old quickly. There are multiple places in this book where I rolled my eyes at what felt like the oh-so-edgy, oh-so-smartness of it all and I honestly thought about stopping and calling this a DNF because I didn
Kelsie ♡
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: like-not-love
3/3.5 Stars

My feelings towards this book weren’t as warm as I’d hoped for. I liked Van but found the writing to be trying too hard to make him seem edgy instead of him actually being edgy. I mean sure he was short with people but he was described to be basically dead inside. I didn’t see that. I connected with George C. more, but still wasn’t in love. He was sweet, and I liked how he looked past Van’s gruff exterior.

Van and George C. both have people from the past who’ve broken their ability t
Moony MeowPoff
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full reviews can be found here: Blog|| Twitter
I Recived this ARC in exhange for a honest review from NetGalley & NineStar Press.

TW: rape, prostitution and harrasment

I've seen some different opinions on The Scarecrow and George C both on Goodreads and NetGalley. But for me i honestly liked it, alot. I like that we got to know why Donovan was like he was and kind of got to know his inner thoughts throughout the book. I am not a person to often like first-person writings, because it kind of throw
Shari Sakurai
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review*

When I first started reading this I wasn’t sure what to expect. It is written in first person switching between Van and George C in parts. Van talks directly to you and at first he very much isolates himself from his peers and his mother. Slowly as the novel progresses he finds himself opening up not only to George C but others around him. His transformation is wonderful to read even though at times it is heart-breaking to learn wha
Gina
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**TRIGGER WARNING:**

I want to be upfront. There are sensitive things in this book that could trigger some people. So before reading this book, please take the time to think about if you want to read something like this book.

The story of Van and George really got to me. Both of these young men had traumas done to them that they carried with them. They were broken but they never lost hope. Van may have put up the front, but he still held onto a piece of hope.

The love story wasn't rushed, like I fe
Kait | sixcrowsbooks
Interested in the full review? Here ya go!

I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating:
2/5 stars

Trigger/Content warnings for the novel:
--- child sexual assault/harassment
--- sex trafficking
--- anti-asexual rhetoric
--- homophobia

Rep:
--- m/m relationship (both main relationship and side relationship)

Full review to come, but jfc. This was. Full of issues for me for nearly all parts of a story that I value (character development, plot, pacing, side characters, etc.)
Charlotte
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The descriptive bit: Van Liss is a senior in high school, dresses like a scarecrow and spends his days continuing to cultivate an untouchable barrier around himself. His disconnected mother and her abusive boyfriend are responsible for the way Van has to live his life: unreachable and indestructible. Then George C. begins working at the same diner as Van. He isn’t put off by Van’s cold demeanor, in fact, he seems curious… and he seems to care.

As the two young men get to know each other, they mus
Lynn Reynolds
Donovan “Van” Liss talks to the reader as if they’re there with him. I found it interesting how he sees the way he acts as a deterrent but as he lets us into his world I found it to be the opposite. First thing I thought was what was the trigger that caused him to makes the choices he made. That was the moment that I felt the author put out some bait to get the reader to turn the page.

I found he had an interesting job choice. Even though he wants to be left alone, I think he’s saying “see me, he
KayBee's  Bookshelf
The Book Review 3.5 stars
The primary character, Van aka the Scarecrow speaks directly to the reader. This writing approach was a bit off-putting at first. However, I came to realize that I was his confidant as a reader. He was divulging tidbits to me that he could not freely divulge to anyone else. Wearing his "armor" aka the scarecrow attire, afforded him some emotional "protection" or so he wanted to believe and I could relate. Van comes across angry and bitter, but if you pay attention you se
Ana
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a lovely book. Everything about it make me choose it. The cover, the name and the blur. Everything had a charm about it, that made me feel attracted to it and, happily, the feeling remain all along the book.

What I liked about the book was the characters. Both of them hiding their own insecurities, even though they handle them in very different ways. I loved Van’s attitude but one of the things got trouble with, was that we get too fast to know what’s behind it. I would love if it
Anabela.M.
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kirstin
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
3-3.5 Stars

Donovan "Van" dresses like a scarecrow. He's been through something at home and would rather the world not see him at all. The scarecrow is his attempt at scaring away anyone who tries to get close. And now, a senior in high school, he's completely alone.

George C was kicked out of his home when he graduated high school. He survived on the streets and did things for money that he's ashamed of. When he gets a job at the same cafe as Van, he's intrigued by him.

Soon enough, George C's pas
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Told in alternating parts by Donovan and George, The Scarecrow & George C by Mia Kerick looks at fear, abuse, and what it takes to learn to live again. Donovan sees himself as a Scarecrow. He goes out of his way to dress and act in an intimidating manner in order to protect himself. George C sees himself as tainted, and despite his more outgoing personality, fears being looked at in disgust. Can these two broken men help each other heal?

Each spoke in first person, and broke the fourth wall comp
Gin
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a terrific surprise! This is my first read by this author and while I read YA and MM this is my first combined story. The writing really propelled this story into something wonderful and heart melting with absolutely fabulous characters. Van aka Scarecrow with his heartbreaking childhood makes a beautiful transformation into a young man that you just want to give a hug to. And that transformation is caused by George C, a co-worker that sees behind the cold Scarecrow persona that Van project ...more
Sibil
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: readtoreview
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley and to the editor

This book should come with a very long list of Trigger Warning, (view spoiler) but, this said, it was a very enjoyable reading. I loved Van's voice, he is quirky and he makes you want to hug him (even if he wouldn't agree to that, obviously), and I enjoyed that we get the two POVs, Van's one and George C' one.
R
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed, abuse
Van makes himself into a scarecrow. Flannel shirts, overalls, and a ridiculous top hat. All this is his facade, so the world and it’s people will ignore him. Abused in his own home, broken inside, he just wants to be left alone. But his camouflage just keeps bringing him trouble.

Into his isolated world steps George C, also broken, abused, and scared. Together they might make a whole person. They just have to give the love and trust that the other needs so badly.

I’ve never been a fan of books wh
Sarita Chapdelaine
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This book was provided by the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review.

This is a quirky and interesting story with intriguing characters and a great storyline. I like Van and George C and how their relationship develops. They have a beautiful connection and are exactly what the other needs. When Charlie C is in danger he and Van will need the help of all of their friends if he wants to be freed from his past. There are several amazing secondary characters that add a
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Romantic, fun and heart-felt. Van and George C. were two boys with hard tragic pasts just trying to survive. What they discover with each other is unexpected and warming. I really enjoyed the romance between the characters and how they each helped each other with their tragic pasts.
The writing style was a little different with the reader being address in the story but I actually found I enjoyed it. I thought the story was going to be darker with the way the blurb and the beginning was but it wa
Pat
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Working in a diner and dressed as a scarecrow hoping he isn't noticed and very lonely is a guy named Van, there is someone always looking at him .. George C is the other cook in the diner who finds himself noticing Van .. He likes what he sees ....
Van is insecure with dreadful life experiences .
George C had a challenging life he needed to get away....
George C and Van seem like opposites attract but somehow they form a connection ..
This connection keeps you glued in the book wanting to know wha
The Smutbrarians
Reviewed by Robin

Jess
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
I really wanted to enjoy this more than I did. I want to say it was just not being in the mood to read, but I found certain aspects of this book to really pull me out of the story. I enjoyed the characters, especially Van. The scarecrow aspect isn't something I have ever seen before. George C. was warm and kind, but a little generic and run of the mill for me. The biggest drawback for this book was the change perspectives. I have read books where it shifts from chapter to chapter, but the way th ...more
Anie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received from Xpresso Book Tours

The Scarecrow $ George C is touching a story about two damaged people finding each other. The story is full of emotion, heartbreaking at times and very deep. It deals with difficult stuff, the kind most of us rather look away from.

I liked both characters, the way they were both special and a bit broke in their own way. And each took a different approach to deal with it.
It's one of those books that make you feel lots of things... :)

I love the way the author descri
Robin Powers
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this story. Both Van and George C. are a bit broken and even though they try not to get too close to anyone, they are drawn to each other. The way the story is told, breaking the fourth wall, was a little distracting at first. I'm usually not a fan of the characters talking to the reader. Both Van and George C. drew me in and I really liked their quirks and how they slowly began to trust one another. In the end, the story was sad, sweet and definitely worth the read. I was surprised that ...more
Shirley
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 - 5 stars...

My initial response when I finished The Scarecrow & George C? This author is getting really good at breaking my heart…

These boys were definitely meant to be with each other. They were both so broken, although George hid it well. Van kept himself closed off, but he couldn’t help himself from being drawn to George. I loved watching him open up and become “real”.

I loved George, but it was hard for me to not get mad at him – yet when everyone else gave up on him, Van didn’t. Oh Van w
Ann
This is a unique story that I got along with really well. I’m not big into YA novels, but I have read Mia Kerick’s stories before and I know I’ve enjoyed reading every one of them very much. Given that Van is in high school it sounded YA at first, but it isn’t, don’t let Van’s age fool you. He’s seen some shit and to protect himself he “becomes” a Scarecrow to keep people at a distance. He adopts a prickly persona and even his tone at the beginning is trying to push the reader away in a sense. W ...more
Sharon
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The cover drew me to this fantastic book which I now see so masterfully captures Van’s sad and fearful eyes. Then from page 1, I was sucked into the story with no turning back.

I just don’t understand why he can’t see how frightening I am. You can see it, can’t you? …I’m a damned cold human being, at home, at school, and here at my part-time job.

Donovan Liss (Van) is a character you will never forget. He thinks his loneliness is disguised through his scarecrow fashion, his dark persona and sa
Becca
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. If you guys don't get anything out of this book, if you don't READ this book, you are missing. It's a dark story. It's about the harsher sides of life. For kids who are gay or different, it's often quite awful. Hell, adults have it hard enough, but kids….breaks me every time. There is some dark things talked about, so if anyone has a trigger be careful.
Donovan, Van, has learned to hide himself away. He's become a human version of a scarecrow so people will leave him alone and he won't be hu
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is actually a really nice story, very emotional because it pulls at your heart, but it also overflows with hope. It isn't the kind of story that I generally read and this is the first time I'm actually reading a book by this author. I enjoyed it because the story, through its characters, has a way of pulling the reader in and this is because of the way the emotions of the characters spill out onto the page.

George C is a runaway who is finding his feet in a new town and he has been able to d

• Kiss Me Again
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Wicked Lies Boys Tell
  • The Hate You Drink
  • Larry Boots, Exterminator
  • The Ghost of Ellwood (Ivy Grove, #1)
  • Clarity of Lines (Thomas Elkin, #2)
  • Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • RIDE
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)
  • Handsome Death
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Home Improvement
  • Unscripted (Unscripted, #1)

Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—one in law school, another at a dance conservatory, a third studying at Mia’s alma mater, Boston College, and her lone son still in high school. She has published more than twenty books of LGBTQ romance when not editing National Honor Society essays, offering opinions on college and law school applications, helping to create dance bios, and rev