Start by marking “Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)

Knightmare Arcanist

(Frith Chronicles #1)

Magic. Sailing. A murderer among heroes.

Gravedigger Volke Savan wants nothing more than to be like his hero, the legendary magical swashbuckler, Gregory Ruma. First he needs to become an arcanist, someone capable of wielding magic, which requires bonding with a mythical creature. And he’ll take anything—a pegasus, a griffin, a ravenous hydra—maybe even a leviathan, like Ru
ebook, 1, 360 pages
Published June 18th 2019 by Capital Station Books

To ask other readers questions about Knightmare Arcanist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knightmare Arcanist

A.D.
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything is fine until Volke tries to bond with a phoenix. Shortly afterwords, a knightmare named Luthair bonds with him and they join a guild. When Luthair declares Volke's idol a murderer, it leads to an exiting adventure that fans will love... assuming Volke and Luthair don't scare them first.
It's funny and has a nice bit of sarcasm to it.
It's mystery, after mystery, and doubt after failure.
It's action packed and will leave fans hoping for more.
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Knightmare Arcanist by Shami Stovall was rollicking good fun! It's Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series for YA readers. Stovall is quickly becoming a name I look for. I've read a few of her other works, and she's great at adjusting genres!

We follow Volke, an orphan on the Isle of Ruma, who wants nothing more than to be an Arcanist. These magic users bond with mystical creatures that determine how the magic manifests. Though prohibited from formally participating in the isle's Phoenix Trials to bond
T.S.
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this first installment in Frith Chronicles series, Shami Stovall tells the story of Gravedigger Volke Savan who has seen just one dream: to be an arcanist—an individual capable of wielding magic, and leave his gravedigger’s life behind. Volke faces a multitude of hurdles and beats tremendous odds to bond with the mystical knightmare—a creature made of shadow and terror, and realizes his lifelong dream of becoming an arcanist. He can wield magic now, and he gets to train near Master Arcanist G ...more
Annie Rosendale
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knightmare Arcanist is an excellent book that I would strongly recommend to people; another by an Author whose work I am coming to love. This book features extremely strong characters, an exciting magical system and world, and a tale that is quite enjoyable.

The characters and their interactions are probably the single strongest aspect of this book. Eventually, there are six young arcanists and their six eladrins (magical companions) that all have distinct personalities, from the driven do-good
Cheryl
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like fantasy and magic, then, you need to treat yourself to a copy of this book. I was instantly transported to this world that author, Shami Stovall has created for this book. It was like I could see a movie playing out in my head.

Volke is the outcast. Yet, he is not the only one. There is Illia. She too is an outcast but she is fine with it. In fact, if it was not for her giving Volke the big kick in the butt, he would probably be a gravedigger still and not an arcanist. Volke also wou
Margaret Adelle
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another killer book from Shami Stovall! Our main character Volke was so earnest and dedicated. The plot was intriguing and the world in-depth. There were redemption arcs and giant monster battles (Shami knows how to end a book with a bang).

The only thing I could say against it was that I wished the Ruma reveal hadn't been laid out in the synopsis. It would have had more punch if it had been left secret until the reveal mid-story. But the reasons behind his actions was heartbreaking... and distu
Jupiter
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
A fast-paced YA action fantasy. The Knightmare Arcanist has superb world building and that world is populated by some fabulous creatures (I’m a total fan of Luthair). There is a full gamut of well-developed characters which range from fun through nasty all the way to downright crazy. Interesting themes are wound through the story and played out in action. The writing is crisp and concise.

I’d recommend this to anyone interested in YA fantasy!
Truly
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knightmare Arcanist is the first book in the Frith Chronicles series written by Shami Stovall and is a young adult novel. A captivating action packed mystery that you will not wan to put down. Knightmare Arcanist has an impressive premise, a solid plot, and great action. A well-written story with well-developed characters that will leave you wanting more.
Ella
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-2019
4/5

The Knightmare Arcanist is the first book in the Frith Chronicles, following pair of young teens who consider themselves as siblings, Volke and Illia. Now you know me. The plot and setting are secondary to the importance of character development. Characters are what drives the story forward, and I am very much ecstatic that the characters in this book were utterly superb.

Wanting to be an Arcanist (a person bonded with a magical creature; and in this case, a phoenix), Volke set out to compete
A_Girl_Reads
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shami Stovall delivers a world full of magic, adventure, friendship, secrets and lots of action. Everything is taking place into a well-crafted setting that you can easily visualize, due to the intricate details the writer is offering. The characters have distinctive personalities and while their utter goal is to attain the magic of their world, their motives differ from one another.

Our story follows Volke, a fifteen-year-old boy, who, despite his poor upbringing, is dedicated to becoming an arc
Mike
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, ya
YA fantasy with a fresh premise - at least, fresh to me: people bond to any of a wide variety of mystical creatures and become arcanists, their powers differing based on the creature they are bonded to. Also, there's a magical plague which drives the creatures mad and corrupts the humans who are bonded to them, and pirates are deliberately spreading it as a terror tactic (and because it can make their creatures' magic more powerful).

It's a premise that's well thought through and well sustained.
Tavis
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars

Shami Stovall's Knightmare Arcanist, the first book in her Frith Chronicles series, turned out to be pretty fun and action-packed read. However, it did have some weak points that detracted from the overall reading experience for me. This book follows Volke Savan, an apprentice gravedigger on a tiny and remote island who's dream is to become an arcanist and finally leave his island. To become an arcanist and wield magic, one must first bond with an eldrin (a term for any time of
Kya Young
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest reveiw.

Okay, so normally when people don't like a book, it's usually how the book is written. I think this case is switched. I think since I expanded my reading variety I have become more picky in what I read. Especially in the YA/Independant reader category. So I believe this book is not for the newer version of Reader Kya, but would be great for old Reader Kya.
Anyway, here are my thoughts.

First off, the idea behind this and what the boo
Kelly (Simply Kelina) C.
Fantasy is hit of miss for me as it is not my go to genre. This sounded really good though so I wanted to give it a try. I picked it up one night thinking I would most likely put it right back down. When the story starts in a cemetery with graves being dug, it caught my interest. I ended up reading over fifty pages right then and there.

Volke is 15 years old. This really reminded me of a middle grade story. I enjoyed the writing as it was very engaging. However; I found myself losing once the tr
Leah (White Sky Project)
Apr 26, 2019
Ally Swanson
May 06, 2019
RABT Book Tours: Knightmare Arcanist by Shami Stovall 1 3 Jun 11, 2019 04:54AM
Shami Stovall relies on her BA in History and Juris Doctorate to make her living as an author and history professor in the central valley of California. She writes in a wide range of fiction, from crime thrills to fantasy to science-fiction. Stovall loves reading, playing video games, entertaining others with stories, and writing about herself in the third person.