Start by marking “War's Mate (Honey Creek Den #1)” as Want to Read:
War's Mate (Honey Creek Den #1)

War's Mate

(Honey Creek Den #1)

Growing up in a coven with only one other shifter around doesn’t allow Arik much of an opportunity to find his mate, and he doesn’t know when or where he’ll find him. When dreams about his mate start interrupting his sleep, he’s content to wait for them to find each other. That is, until he dreams that his mate is in danger.

Alpha War has all but given up on ever finding h
Published April 2019 by Taylor Rylan (first published December 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about War's Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War's Mate

Lorraine Lesar
May 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF.
It’s a rarity that I leave 1* reviews, but I wanted to support Rachel with her review and comments.
I’m summing up, it felt like I was eating soup with a fork!
That dialogue went on and on. And on and on. And on and on.
Rachel Emily
DNF at 35% in.

The start of this story was like a textbook definition of an author telling us the story instead of showing is the story. Also, I'm pretty sure there were entire scenes that were literally just dialogue (and lots of it!) back and forth instead of any action or movement or anything else happening in that scene. The writing just seemed very basic and needed some depth and descriptive words used or something.

Things just didn't work for me. Arik wants to find his mate, but then he's
Morgan
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dnf at 60%

I really try to finish a book when I start it. Sometimes I'll drop it for a while and then go back to it but this time I just couldn't do it and don't want to force myself.

First of all. Ok it's mpreg but getting pregnant after sex once (when even the character couldn't believe it happened since he wasn't in heat) I can BELIEVE. But getting pregnant after the first time... with twins.... and Arik's father knows about it the next day.... and everyone is excited about it and believes tha
AussieMum
TIME OF DEATH 8% DNF No rating

The writing. The writing. The writing. I’m sorry but I literally can’t say anything good about it. There were whole pages of just painfully awkward dialogue. All telling. No showing. Not even any character direction. It was a verbal diarrhoea of exposition.It was chaotic and confusing and at one point I thought maybe this was meant to be a comedy.
“Hello, I’m Troy. I’m the den’s second-in-command. Can I be of any assistance to you two?” “Hi, Troy. I’m Arin, and thi
Diane (Books and Tequila Blog)
War’s Mate is my first book by this author and also my first mpreg story. It is entertaining and a good series start that leaves you wanting to read more stories about these characters.

“...I was face-to-face with my mate. And now that I could actually get a good look at him, he was the most beautiful man I’d ever seen.”

This story is a bit OTT, super HOT, and definitely insta-Love. All things that add up to a bit of a fun read or listen.
-3.5 Stars-
Mimi
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Introduction

This was a great introduction to The Honey Creek Den. Warrick and Erik are great couple 💑. Bear shifter and a Bengal Tiger. What an interesting pair.

The world 🌎 that they loved in was modern but shifters still had to hide their true nature in plain sight of the human world. The sex was hot🔥and a little bit kinky. Which was a thumbs up for me.
Nat Smithy
Aug 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF The writing was awful and the dialogue didn't flow
Kim
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a mm shifter story in the mpreg world. Loved the characters Arin and Warren known as War. A tiger omega shifter and an alpha bear shifter. And babies or cubs. A real page turner. Can’t wait to read more from this series.
SMJC
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was bad. So bad. If I could have given it no stars, I would have done that. I think GR needs to fix that. Please, do yourself a favor and just skip this book. Think I'm being harsh? Yeah, go read my highlights and notes and you'll get a glimpse of what awaits you. I'll even do you one better, here's a solid example of the writing in this book ...

... and that if he missed anything, he’d send it along. Whatever that means.” “Okay, thanks, Troy. And it means that if he finds something else o
Carol Dawn
I had high hopes going into this book. I'm not going to say that I was disappointed but I wasn't completely satisfied either. There is definitely an instalove aspect going on, which I happen to really love. There is also a super protective and possessive Alpha which, again, I happen to love. The plot definitely had great potential and I did enjoy the book.

However, the plot fell a little flat for me. I hate saying that because I like my reviews to always be positive but I've read this authors wo
JoAnn
2.5 Stars

I was very interested in this authors other series, which is a spin off of this one, but she recommends to read this one first.... kinda bummed I did because I’ve lost interest.

The plot was good, it’s a plot that appears to be continuing throughout the series, but everything was very long winded and stiff.

I’m not sure if this was this authors first book, if it was I might just skip the rest of this series and start on the one I really wanted to read in hopes that the authors writing s
John-Torleif  Harris
Very fun, new series

This was a pretty quick read that I found to be thoroughly enjoyable. I liked the world and the characters in both the den as well as in Arik's family. I am a bit confused on the difference between witches and warlocks in this world is, but that may be clarified in later books.
Daverba
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Taylor Rylan's book but I was a bit apprehensive about reading this
book because it was my first reading a shifter book. I have to say I really enjoyed it.
Ayana_*
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

At first I was going based off of the illustration and pic on the cover and I have passed this book plenty a times on my kindle but I decided to say “hey, what the hell??”.. anyways I must say I enjoyed this book immensely I love the warlock twist and how long the parent we’re together and etc.. story line is good .. I’m a pretty fast reader so kinda dosspapointed there’s only 2 books to the series so far after all I finished one book in less than a day :)
Diane Dannenfeldt
One of the things that I really liked about this book is the diversity of the shifters with warlocks thrown in. These two made a great couple. I would have liked the babies to have been one of each, but I guess the tiger babies can be the next set of twins :). I would have liked more of fighting with Arianna, that whole part was very weak. Maybe their will be a battle in the coming books. The thing that I didn’t care for was there seemed to be a lot of repetitive in their conversations. It almos ...more
Kelly
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my first read by Taylor Rylan. I loved all of her other books, and with this being her first paranormal book I was not disappointed.

I'm a sucker for a fated mate story.

War and Arik were so cute together. The chemistry was off the charts!

I think it was an awesome introduction to a brand new series. Excited to see where she takes us in this crazy world of warlocks, shifters and witches. I also loved the way she set up the story for the next book in the series.

4 big stars!
Jessica Davis
Jun 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult

This books was extremely difficult to get through. It was written as though the writer waited till deadline and had zero plans so just put words on paper and called it a day. It was horrible stilted. This is something even a high schooler would be ashamed of. Everything was bland. Characters are cringe worthy as best. This actually made my head hurt and I am so happy I read it for free. No one should spend money on this.
Deirdre
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Honey Creek Den series was full of surprises for me. I thought I was just going to be reading about shifters, but immediately was introduced to Massachusetts Warlocks. I won a paperback version of Book 3 and I promised the author I'd start the series as soon as I could. I had already purchased Book 1, before I was gifted with the third book. That left 3 more books for me to also read.

Since I am almost done with the second book I could tell that this first book was not as po
Katherine
Not much story to this story

For a book that wasn't very long, that felt extremely long. It meandered about with little plot and by the end of the book almost nothing had happened and absolutely nothing has been resolved. Rather disappointing.

War is an bear shifter and alpha of his pack. Recently they have been unexpectedly getting attacked by the local coven. Arik, a tiger shifter, dreams that his mate is in trouble getting attacked, and has his twin brother bring him to where he dreamed of. It
Caroline
I really liked this book at first but then when i was half way in the book it started getting boring for me. There wasnt anything that kept this book fun and exciting for me. So even though i liked the beginning this book will only get 2,5 stars from me. It just wasnt that good in the long run for me.

Ariks and Wars relationship ended up kind of boring and i felt the only thing you read about was how horny they were for each other and that was it. And it wasnt even like really sexy sex scenes so
Mim Crenshaw
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Format: Kindle Edition
I was really surprised by this book. Going by the review ratings, I almost passed up a chance at a wonderful book. It was well written, you can tell that the author made sure that the characters were really well developed and while the ending isn't really a cliff hanger. You can tell that she left it so that the next book will flow perfectly right in line with it. It had a little drama, some action, little witty parts in it, and a lot of appropriately times steamy action. I
Norma
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Left my hanging...

The plot line itself is really good and I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect of it. Each chapter swapped point of view, but some times it wavered in the middle of the chapter for a few paragraphs and was very distracting.

Then end of the book definitely let you know another book will be coming because the main plot line was not resolved and a few new issue cropped up as well in the last chapter.

Overall a good book.
P Leslie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, shifters
I’m always on the look out for new M/M authors and this book definitely ticked all the boxes.

War and Arik had smoking hot chemistry - the kinky/naughty things these two get up to were seriously hot.

I enjoyed the story but at times felt everything was just a little too perfect. Arik was a too obedient - I wanted a little sass/defiance to make things more interesting.

Overall, the story was written well and I eagerly look forward to reading the next book.
morgan foster
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Great fated mates story. War and Arik were cute, sweet, hot, and perfect together. A little bit of drama that will continue at least through the next in the series. Fantastic side characters that make you want their stories. A great introduction to the series and this authors world of shifter, warlocks, and witches. Cant wait for the next and I definitely reccomend this book.
RFN8
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bland and repetitive book. Most of this book is made up of really stilted dialogue, and I find myself thinking 'nobody talks like that' way too many times. The characters were also extremely cliche.

It really feels like the author just wanted to write fluffy domestic headcanons, but was forced to shoehorn in a villain, which was forgotten at the end anyway.

This was suppose to be the first book of a series but the it really did nothing to make me want to read more.
Denise GremoryKohta
Wow! Exciting right from the start.

This is high energy excitement and steamy hot sexy times in a fast pace while still giving you the back story needed. What a great start to the series. What I love the most though is the paranormal mix. There is a variety of shifters, some just mentioned, and warlocks and witches. I can't wait to read more. I have to find out about poor Orin and how Elliot is doing with Troy.
Angie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shifter mpreg

3 stars

Ok story but unremarkable. Wouldn't reread.

Arik is the son of a warlock and tiger shifter. War is the alpha of his bear den. The 2 meet and mating happens almost instantly. Pregnancy also happens instantly. There is a bad guy lurking but I felt this was unresolved (maybe it carries into book 2). Overall, a cutsey shifter love story with lots of sexy times but not a lot of depth.

Will read the rest of the books in the series.
Booklover82
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love shifters, and this story didn't disappoint. Great start to new series,with strong characters. War and Arik were very good together. Very loving and passionate together as they got to know each other. Growly cop and handcuffs what's not to like. Story was laid out well and flowed well. The only negative was ended too soon, can't wait for the next book!
tiffany kasten
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love shifters!

And this story didn't disappoint. Great start to new series,with strong characters. War and Arik were very good together. Very loving and passionate together as they got to know each other. Growly cop and handcuffs what's not to like. Story was laid out well and flowed well. The only negative was ended too soon, can't wait for the next book!
Savannah Acheson
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely a no

This started off as a really good baseline, but the author really dropped the ball. Arik was so whiny that I got sick and tired of it. And the sex was mediocre and repetitive that I found myself rolling my eyes and just skipping it. Finally the Arianna business didn't have enough action and I kept waiting on a attack that never came.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Jamie (Whitedell Pride, #1)
  • Camp H.O.W.L. (Camp H.O.W.L. #1)
  • Trill to Me Sweetly (A Paranormal's Love #1)
  • Omega's Lie (Fated Dates #1)
  • Secret Cravings (Pantarius Brothers, #1)
  • Challenge the Darkness (Yellowstone Wolves, #1)
  • Bonded by Fate (Heart's Desire, #1)
  • Battle of Hearts
  • Out of the Ashes (Asheville Arcana #1)
  • Leave It All (Saint Lakes, #1)
  • Omega Heart (Springer Mountain Shifters, #1)
  • Most Wanted (Love Slaves of the Alphas #1)
  • Jaxxon (The Remus Brothers #1)
  • The Wolfing Way (Lifting the Veil #1)
  • Branded by Flames (Dragon Soul, #1)
  • His Omega (Werewolves of Manhattan, #1)
  • The Wizard & The Werewolf (Mixed Mates, #1)
  • Blind Under The Moon (Blood Moon Pack Alliance #1)
After several years of daydreaming about sexy men in her head, Taylor decided to finally start writing about them! That's where the Men of Crooked Bend came from, although at the time, she had no idea as to what she would name the town, nor what state it would even be in. She quickly learned that even though she had ideas in her head, it was her characters that ultimately decided what would happen ...more

Honey Creek Den (6 books)
  • Troy's Warlock (Honey Creek Den #2)
  • Ryker's Enchantment (Honey Creek Den #3)
  • Grayson's Enlightenment (Honey Creek Den #4)
  • Gage's Serenity (Honey Creek Den #5)
  • Jules's Sanctuary (Honey Creek Den #6)