Start by marking “Within Paravent Walls” as Want to Read:
Within Paravent Walls

Within Paravent Walls

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  15 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Sprung from vicious and dysfunctional generations, the narcissistic muse, Estefania Viennese, and the self-negating artist, Severin von Zweighaupt, succumb to the unwholesome love they harbour for each other.

During Estefania's pregnancy with triplets, her mental illness resurfaces. As she degenerates, the couple grapples with a trauma-stricken family of their own creation
Published May 28th 2019 by E. L. Marker

To ask other readers questions about Within Paravent Walls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within Paravent Walls

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Within Paravent Walls
Vida Boheme
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delving deep into dysfunctional family bonds, 'Within Paravent Walls' reminds us of the ever-lasting battle between the individual and the familial. The way the author digs deep into the female characters' psyches makes this book a pleasurable and gripping read. With the real horror being the experiences the characters face in their lifetimes, I particularly enjoyed how the author subtly weaves in a the supernatural as an extension and analysis of the world she created, avoiding horror book clic ...more
Liana Rowe
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Came across this via amazon, being recommended by a friend. After reading the intro I got more and more involved in this tragically fascinating family, their history and fate. Not often do you see this style of writing in this day and age, makes it quite unique definitely 20th century French literary in character and stylism. Very addictive and expressive storytelling.
Remmy
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A family drama tinted with magical realism in the style of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, permeated by an overwhelming sense of dread and despair, a la Edgar Allan Poe. Yet, author Laura Gentile finds her own voice in an intriguing and unique story. Challenging and at times hard to read, but also hard to put down.
Dean Nicholson
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first few minutes of reading this book and its intro felt almost like a cinematic experience. One can easily get caught by the first few pages and get intrigued by the stylistic writing style that reminds me of of naturalism( numerous similarities with elements from Daudet's L'Arlesienne or even more so of Zola's Therese Raquin). This rich late 19th century writing style full of symbolism combined with deeply visceral dialogues and the development of very tragic characters and their familial ...more
Vlad Zamfira
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very rich and descriptive novel with fascinating character development. The way the author writes makes the reader easily visualise the action, the characters while leaving enough room for the reader to have his/her own interpretation what is happening and the fate of the characters. At times the way this book is written and structured, it reminds me of Emile Zola and naturalism heavy with epithets, metaphors and beautifully crafted descriptions.
Lucy Goodwin
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Le mal du siècle"
This story shook me; I definitely wasn't prepared for this engulfing web of tragedies. The author is fearless in her writing. I really enjoyed the characters' vividity and unforgettability. The psychological details of the family's downfall are overwhelming. Definitely needed a few breaks during my reading. I found the exceptional use of language fascinating. If you're into strong female characters and complex family dynamics this is THE book for you.
Nicola Wallace
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very much looked forward to reading this book and I wasn’t disappointed. The story and writing style kept me up past bedtimes to read some more!
The story is shocking at time and doesn’t shy away from difficult topics. The story of Estefania’s tragic life will stay with me a long time.
To anyone reading the book, dedicate some time to take in the story and enjoy Laura Gentile’s unique writing style. You will not regret it.
Jess Vreede
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story goes under your skin. At times, I had to put the book down because I couldn’t believe what was happening. The way the characters’ inner life is described is deeply psychological. The author does not shy away from the most haunting human topics and tragedies. Definitely recommend it.
Mayalani
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura’s eloquent way of telling the story of ‘Within Paravent Walls’ transports you into a different universe. Each and every character is so well constructed and in-depth that one cannot help but visualise them so clearly. I have to admit that the story gripped me so much that it was incredibly hard to put the book down and yet it had to be done in order to digest its content after every read. But I needed to know how the story would unfold and what would happen to each character. Trust me, you ...more
Federico
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Within Paravent Walls captures you from the very first page and won't let you go. So much more than just a portrait of a dysfunctional family, the book unravels a battle between young and old, female and male, individual and family, love and hate, freedom and captivity, and ultimately life and death. Unlike anything I have ever read before - you will definitely keep thinking about these pages when you go to sleep at night!
Courtney Kyle
Apr 24, 2019
James Sullivan
Apr 24, 2019
Laura Gentile
May 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jayne

• Madame Bovary
  • Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo
  • Flaubert in Egypt: A Sensibility on Tour
  • Effi Briest
Laura Gentile is the author of "Within Paravent Walls". She is of German-Italian descent and speaks five languages: German, English, French, Italian, Luxembourgish and she is currently learning Romanian.
Laura holds a Master of Arts Degree in English Literature, Film and Visual Culture (Dissertation: The Decadent in Love with his Psychopomp: Thomas Mann's 'Death in Venice' and Adrian Lyne's 'Lolita

News & Interviews

“Everything his parents repressed, Severin contracted and kept, collected almost, with the ambition to revive it when needed.” 5 likes
“He would have died rather quickly to not lose track of his wife in the afterlife.” 5 likes