Start by marking “Dangerous Magic (Haven Lake Cozy Mysteries, Book One)” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Magic (Haven Lake Cozy Mysteries, Book One)

Dangerous Magic (Haven Lake Cozy Mysteries, Book One)

It’s not every day you have to return to your hometown to bind your borderline-poltergeist grandmother to the family property.
Unfortunately, today is that day for Avery Thorn.

All Avery wants is to report the binding to the Witch Council so she can fulfil her obligation, but finding a dead body and the Head of the Council on the brink of death isn’t in her plan.
Especially w

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Magic

D.M.
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something new. I’ve been thinking about reading a Cozy Mystery for a while. I was so excited when Emma Hart announced this. I feel like she read my mind.

Avery has returned to her hometown. She’s a powerful witch and head of the family. The ghost of her grandmother has been causing havoc around town and it’s her job to rain her in. The problem is this town holds secrets, the kind that could get you killed. Avery has bad timing and right from the start she has a bad feeling. It’s time for some da
D.M.
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Liz
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never read or heard about Cozy mysteries until I heard Emma Hart was writing one under the pseudonym Evie Hart. I was curious and excited to read Dangerous Magic, the first book in her Haven Lake Cozy Mysteries. Here we get the story of Avery, a witch with a grandmother has been causing chaos in her hometown. Suddenly she is thrown right in the middle of a mystery and at odds with a local detective.

I enjoyed reading Dangerous Magic by Evie Hart. It was fun story with great characters. A p
Amanda
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

Dangerous Magic is the first book in a brand-new paranormal mystery series by Evie Hart. The Haven Lake Cozy Mysteries series brings us a world full of supernaturals, mystery, and laughter.

"I was weird. I was powerful. I was potentially unpredictably dangerous. I just wanted to take off my pants and watch Netflix without Wi-Fi dropping its signal."

Avery returns home to Haven Lake in order to bind her crazy ghost grandmother to their home because she
Melliane
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I love the novels of the author as Emma Hart so when I heard about this new series, I was really very intrigued!

Avery has to go home to bind her grandmother and stop her ghost from terrorizing everyone. It’s already not very easy to manage, but in addition, she finds herself facing a corpse and the leader of witch council who was poisoned. She didn’t expect it, but she’s going to be embarked on a story that is totally beyond her control. Indeed, she will
Kahea
***5 ‘Thorn Family’ Stars***

I don’t read many mysteries, much less cozy ones, but when one of my fav authors announced that she was going to dip her toes into this realm I was all for tagging along and I was not disappointed. This book had all the crazy goodness I’ve come to love from the author just based in a different setting. It was a fun read with a ton of crazy, unique characters that I want to get to know a hell of a lot better.

Avery is the epicenter of this story and I loved her. She’s
Millennial Book Life Crisis - Samantha
Writing as Evie Hart, Emma dips into the paranormal suspense category with the start of this series, and this book just set this series up for major success! Avery has returned home to Haven Lake per an obligation from the council regarding her grandmother. When arriving home, she knows she won’t be going back to her other life, and it’s solidified when she stumbles upon a dead body her second day back. Throughout the course of this book, Avery witnesses another murder during her time trying to ...more
Book Boyfriend Whoarder Mari
I’m a lover of PNR and supernatural stories. And I was not disappointed here!

Evie Hart wove a magical world filled with everything you want and need. She did such an amazing job building up this whole community that I’d wish it were real so I could go live there.

Avery Thorn was everything I wanted and needed in a heroine. Hands down awesome!

We see this story through her eyes, and I wonder if we will get the others just her POV or if we get to see a certain hot detective’s thoughts as well.

Thi
Janine - The World Was Hers for the Reading
Avery Thorn’s been forced to return home to the paranormal community she grew up in after living as a regular human for two years. She’s not thrilled that she has to bind her dead, cantankerous and troublemaking grandmother to the family farm. Even worse, when she goes to the Witch Council to report the binding she finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation after walking in to find a dead body.

Magically bound to discover who the murderer is, Avery, along with her cousins Nicole and Do
Carly Wilson
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Dangerous Magic’ is the new book by Evie Hart, and I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this book! It had been a while since I’d read any paranormal/ mystery books, so this was the perfect treat to mix up my reading genres.

The book is about Avery Thorn, a witch who has returned back to Haven Lake to bind her unruly Grandmother Cherry Thorn. Cherry is the matriarch of the family, and despite being deceased, has decided to cause mischief around town. She is unapo
Margie
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven Lake is a very special town. It is populated by paranormals of all varieties. A special ward only allows paranormals to enter. Avery Thorn has been living in the normal world for the past two years. She is a witch and is able to mask her powers enough to live among humans. Now she has been called back home to Haven Lake to bind her grandmother's ghost to the family property. Grandma Cherry's ghost has been running wild and wreaking havoc in Haven Lake annoying lots of its inhabitants. So s ...more
Tracey
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blog Banner photo banner2_zps0a9ef8c3.jpg

In DANGEROUS MAGIC, author Emma Hart has brought together three of my favorite things...cozy mysteries, paranormal reads, and, well, Emma Hart! This first book in the new Haven Lake Cozy Mystery Series is a great combination of mystery, my love of the realm of magic, and a touch of romance. Reminding me of the Holly Woods Files, but with a twist, this book was an enjoyable page turner that I did not want to put down.

Avery Thorn is everything that I've come to expect in any of Emma's heroines. S
Nicole
It's been a hot minute since I've read a paranormal story, and this particular book was just the thing I needed to get me back into the swing of all things supernatural and paranormal. A fantastic debut novel from an established romance author using a pseudonym, it was easy to get wrapped up in this story of Haven Lake, Georgia and the unique population that calls the magical town home. I liked that the town was home to all types of magical and paranormal beings: from witches to vampires to shap ...more
Krystyna
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The peeing cat and the British bat

Terrific. Lighthearted, easy read that has a great plot running through it. Written in such a way that the humour and seriousness of the plot has you chuckling whilst trying to figure out how she will get out of the mess she has landed in. A precocious cat and an extremely proper English accented bat are her familiars and their byplay is wonderful. As is the rest of the opinionated familiars banter that is skillfully woven into the plot. Whilst the characters ar
Michelle
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually paranormal is something I avoid, it’s really not my thing but as this was Emma Hart’s alter ego I decided to give it a go. I still can’t believe how hooked I was and how much I enjoyed the book.
I loved the characters and in true Hart style we still had a crazy relative in the story to gives the reader plenty laugh out loud moments. Although my favourite character was our heroine, Avery, her sassy attitude and witty remarks had me wishing I was in the story with her. Her return to her hom
Tatia
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It’s been a LOOOOOONG time since I read anything paranormal, much less anything that wasn’t completely revolves around an epic love story. This new book by Evie Hart threw me back into that world that I didn’t even know I missed.

Avery had to come back home. It was basically a family emergency. She had to bound her grandma to the family property. Did I mention her grandma is in ghost form? Yep, you read that correctly. The Thorn family is full of witches, all with different specialties
Sarah Dale
What a phenomenal start to this new series and new Genre from Emma Hart writing as Evie Hart.

Soon as you start you will be hooked, amused and intrigued and unable to put this book down.

Avery has had to return to her hometown as shes a powerful witch and the head of her family. The council have ordered her grandmothers ghost to be bonded to their house as she has been causing all sorts of havoc in town.

Unfortunately for Avery she stumbles across a murder and ends up being part of the investigati
booksiflove
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soooo.... I usually don’t read or like paranormal books at all. But this book by Evie Hart aka well known Emma Hart, I couldn’t let the opportunity to read this get past me.

And what can I say? I loved. I freaking loved it. All the snark and sass in it. Fabulous. I was chuckling almost through the whole book.

Avery came back home to Heaven Lake after living in the normal human world for a few years. Because she needed to spell bound her ghost grandma to the house.

Dax is the hot young police offic
Ani Bari
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a paranormal debut Evie Hart has smashed it out of the park. I have enjoyed every word I have read. The Thorn family are the perfect sassy feisty women you want to have in your life. The familial bond is heart warming and hilarious. The small town dynamic makes you feel right at home. The possible love interests are intriguing and leaves some questions as to where this will all be going next. I did not want this book to finish and love/hate the blurb from book two because I wasn’t ready to j ...more
Jennifer Mitchell
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
am not an expert when it comes to cozy mysteries. It is a rare read for me; however, when this series was announced, I just knew it was for me. Emma Hart as a romance writer makes my heart smile. Emma Hart writing as cozy mystery writer, Evie Hart, does just the same.

Dangerous Magic is a mixed between Sabrina, Bewitched and Nancy Drew. It is a light, innocent, funny and quirky read. Evie’s writing has the perfect mixture of mystery, magic and laugh out loud moments that will keep in tune the ent
Booked  Every Night
Cozy Mysteries is my second favorite genre and when one of my favorite authors decided to write one, I was so excited. This book exceeded my expectations.

The world this author created sucked me in right from the beginning and didn’t let me leave even after the book finished. The characters were engaging and well developed. The plot was well thought out and kept me guessing throughout the entire book.

This book has, witches, ghosts, familiars, wolves and a hot detective. It is filled with murder,
Becca (The Troubles and Woes of a Bookworm)
I've loved Emma Hart's work for years, ever since Twisted Bond, so I knew I'd love her new venture into paranormal romance as Evie Hart and I wasn't wrong. Dangerous Magic was a delight and has the same comedic tone as all her other work. Honestly, it was like the Holly Woods Files but with witches! I loved it, it was still unique enough that it didn't feel like a copy of that amazing romantic suspense featuring a love/hate relationship, but if you liked that series you will 100% love the Haven ...more
Kari Hansen
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avery has been called back to her hometown Haven Lake to try and control her grandmother’s ghost but it soon becomes apparent that she isn’t the only one causing trouble in town. When she stumbles upon a dead body she takes it upon herself to investigate but before she can get the answers she needs she witnesses another crime. Between her crazy cat, the sexy detective and the paranormal aspect this is a fun cozy mystery you won’t be able to put down.

This is the beginning of a new series and the
Lisa
Shelves: arcs
Dangerous Magic by Evie Hart is the first book in her Haven Lake Cozy Mysteries series. A debut novel for this author and a spectacular read. All the finesse and well-crafted work you expect from an established author but with a fresh and magical face. The world-building and magical lore is easy to keep up with and learn as we are slowly introduced to the world of Haven Lake. I absolutely LOVED this. Avery and her family are hilarious and I was definitely feeling a little bit of the "Droelle-ish ...more
Heather andrews
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avery doesn't get mad the girl gets even and agitates people, “I knew that was your cat.” Dax pinched his nose. “No. And no, no, and no, to your future questions. I need to speak with you if you don’t mind.” I thought my family was bonkers but Avery's takes the caKe, “How did we go from a blood spell to this?” I looked at all my aunts. “Seriously. My life is in danger and you’re worried about who ------ has to marry?” I liked this book, I love this crazy family and I can't wait to see more from ...more
Marika
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this story! Small town, family legacy, plenty of witches, including Avery, the main characters, plenty of shifters and faes, a hot sexy cop, a murder investigation..I mean, what more could you ask for?! Oh yes, lots of banter and humour, and we get plenty!
I loved all the characters, especially the familiars and the crazy grandma.
Once I started I couldn't put it down..I love this world and can't wait for the second book in the series.
Nicole
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually I'm not a fan of this genre with a few exceptions. Well this new series is def an exception. The Thorn family sucks you right in. Has you guessing as to who did it. I can't just name one character I loved because honestly I've fallen in love with them all. Between the storyline, the interactions between the characters, just everything sucks you in. This was a fun, quick read. Looking forward to the rest in the series!!! Def added to my favorites collection!!
Gina Leaver
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!!!!

Evie, as like Emma, does not disappoint.
Meet Avery, Snow and the gang.
It's got everything, a cute sassy kick ass heroine, a band of besties (cousins) who have her back, a few hot men to drowl over, crazy aunts and a band of grumpy familiars who love their witches (shhh don't tell anyone) and don't forget the down right crazy grandma (shes dead, but don't tell her that)
Melissa Parnell
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was not a typical read for me. However, I will read anything from Emma Hart. That being said, this author has proven she can write any genre. This story was quirky and adorable and utterly captivating. I am all in with this world she created and this storyline. I cannot wait to read more from this series and this author.
Angela
5 stars

Debut paranormal book writing under Evie Hart and you smashed it out of the park Emma.
I absolutely loved it. Been a while since I’ve read paranormal and I do enjoy reading them from time to time and I can’t wait for the rest of this series to read.
You have done a fantastic job and thoroughly enjoyed every part of this book. I couldn’t put it down. Thank you for all the words.