Start by marking “The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #19)” as Want to Read:
The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #19)

The Scarecrow

(Jack McEvoy #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  32,660 ratings  ·  1,968 reviews
For Jack McEvoy, the killer named The Poet was the last word in evil.

Think again, Jack.

Jack McEvoy is at the end of the line as a crime reporter. Forced to take a buy-out from the Los Angeles Times as the newspaper grapples with dwindling revenues, he's got only a few days left on the job. His last assignment? Training his replacement, a low-cost reporter just out of
Published May 18th 2009

To ask other readers questions about The Scarecrow, please sign up.
Alexandre Contreras I agree. While Bosch doesn't appear in this book, it is still part of the same universe, as Jack, Harry Bosch, Rachel Walling, Mickey Haller, Terry…moreI agree. While Bosch doesn't appear in this book, it is still part of the same universe, as Jack, Harry Bosch, Rachel Walling, Mickey Haller, Terry McCaleb and even Cassie Black are all in the same timeline and their paths cross at some point.(less)

·  32,660 ratings  ·  1,968 reviews

Start your review of The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #19)
James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jack McEvoy, the reporter who earlier broke the case of The Poet returns in this novel. Jack is now working at the Los Angeles Times. But even back in 2008, when this book first appeared, the newspaper business had fallen into deep trouble, thanks largely to the arrival of the Internet. Even major papers like the Times are hemorrhaging money and have been forced to downsize.

As the book opens, Jack learns the sad lesson that even a seasoned and gifted reporter is not exempt from the harsh
Arah-Lynda
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
This marks the fourth Michael Connelly book that I have read. I was drawn to this particular choice because of the main protagonist, a reporter, Jack McEvoy who I first met in Connelly’s, The Poet.

In the Scarecrow Jack is still a reporter, writing for the LA Times, but one who has just been served a pink slip. Adding insult to injury Jack is given two weeks notice providing he agrees to train his successor, Angela. Jack sucks up his pride and decides that during the time he has left he will
David
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I've said it before, I will say it again: it's tough to be Michael Connelly. His writing is so consistently excellent -- I'm on track to have read all of his existing novels in about 11 months -- that when he writes a book that is simply good and not spectacular, it is tempting to see it as a letdown. If you have never read a Connelly book before, and pick up this one, you will be pleased. But faithful readers will recongize that this is an average effort for Michael Connelly -- not his best ...more
Lisa
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Michael Connelly has done it again with The scarecrow a brilliant book that takes the reader on a ride of their life a well written book & the 2nd in the Jack Mcevoy series.

Jack Mcevoy is a reporter who is virtually thrown to the scrap heap due to budget cuts angry & defiant he wants to go out with a bangusing his final days at the paper to write a finalmurder story of his career.

Alonzo Winslow a 16 year old drug dealer in jail after confessing to raping & strangling one of his crack
✨Susan✨
I liked the first in the series (The Poet), so much, so I was happy that it was followed up by another great read. Jack is down on his luck as a reporter and is going to be layed off when he gets a call about a murder he covered. The caller insists that the suspect is innocent and was tortured into a confession. Jack starts to look into the case himself and red flags start to pop up all over. His investigation starts to upset someone and crazy things start happening to him. This is when he knows ...more
Rob
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers

Number two in the Jack McEvoy Series.
This is real scary. The story is yet another epic from Michael Connelly but the really scary thing is seeing just how vulnerable the internet has made us all to identity fraud and cyber stalking.
Jack McEvoy has been given two weeks notice to quit his job at the LA Times. Jack has seen the writing on the wall for some time. News print is becoming a thing of the passed. So Jack is determined that his last story will be his best story.
He starts investigating a
kartik narayanan
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Scarecrow is a mixed bag of hits and misses. It is no 'The Poet' in terms of storyline or twists but it is still a solid serial killer/police procedural.

I was able to predict almost the entire story when I met the characters - which is quite strange for a book written by Michael Connelly. It was easy to figure out who were the throwaway ones and who weren't.

The investigative work is thankfully, as solid as ever though. And I did like the semi-happy resolution at the end.
Chris
May 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: GoGo Gonzmart
Shelves: read-in-2009
If this book only had a brain.

Ok, check this absurd shit out. Below is a quote from the second page of the book -- all you need to know for context is that Carver is the head of computer security at some company that protects its clients from hackers:

All the while he spoke, Carver was thinking about the intruder they had been chasing. Out there somewhere, not expecting the comeuppance that was speeding toward him. Carver and his young disciples would loot his personal bank accounts, take his
Amanda McGill
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Meh, not Connelly's best.

This is the second book in the Jack McEvoy series, which has nothing to do with the Bosch series. I enjoyed the first book in the series, The Poet, but didn't enjoy The Scarecrow as much. Since the readers know who the Scarecrow is, it takes a lot of the mystery out of the novel. I liked Jack as a character, but he doesn't compare to Connelly's other leads, Bosch and Haller.

For Connelly fans I would suggest picking up the Poet, but skip the Scarecrow.
Donna Lewis
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It is from 2009, and I am not sure how I missed it because I have read most of Michael Connelly’s books. The plot is intricate, the characters are complex and interesting, and there is plenty of action. There’s nothing like a good serial killer to make a book gripping. Jack McEvoy and Rachel Walling are a favorite duo. Sorry I missed this one but glad I found it.
Jeanne
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am working my through the "Harry Bosch Universe" and this second book featuring Jack McEvoy turned out to be one of my favorites. H0pe to see Jack return one day.
Robin
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been over ten years since Jack McEvoy wrote his bestseller about "The Poet" before taking a job as a crime reporter at the Los Angeles Times. Newspapers are currently having a hard time, so Jack isn't surprised when he is told that he has two weeks to train someone else for his job before he is let go. Jack decides to find a story that will make them regret laying him off. When an angry reader calls him concerning a story he wrote about a murder confession made by her 16-year-old grandson, ...more
Bonnie
2 stars
This is a very popular book at the library; I waited months to get it. Michael Connelly has many fans, doubtless because of his acclaimed Harry Bosch character. I know I’ve read Connelly before, because I remember Bosch – though it’s been so long that I can’t remember details. I used to read books in this genre by many authors – for escapism.

But Harry Bosch does not figure in this book; The Scarecrow is the second of two books featuring Jack McEvoy. McEvoy is the highest-paid crime
Jim
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book in the Harry Bosch universe, although this one stars Jack McEvoy & Rachel Walling. There's not much mystery, it's more about when & how they'll catch The Scarecrow rather than who he is or what he's done. We learn that from The Scarecrow's point of view, but that doesn't hurt a thing. It was beautifully paced; a wild chase with a nail biting climax. I had bring my MP3 player into work to finish it up this morning - I couldn't wait for the ride home. Great ending ...more
Roy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember being overseas in an airbnb and this was on the shelf. Devoured it in a few days but Im just not a fan of the character. Bosch is just so much better. I've always found Jacks storys too much of a slow burn.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Jack McEvoy is a seasoned L.A. Times reporter known as the reporter who brought about the demise of a serial killer called The Poet. Unfortunately, the Times is being forced to trim their budget, and Jack's being replaced by a young, cost-effective, social media savvy reporter and worse yet - he's forced to train her in his last two weeks on the job. In the course of doing so, Jack receives information that leads him to investigate a "trunk murder" in which a sixteen-year old supposedly ...more
Stephen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very slow start and as I didn’t particularly enjoy the previous Jack McEvoy book, The Poet, I was thinking that this was just one I’d have to plough through on my way to more Bosch books as I go through the Bosch Universe series. However it seriously picked up once Rachel Walling appeared and the internet surveillance aspect was quite topical and seriously addictive and creepy after that. Still prefer Bosch and even Haller but a worthy addition to the series.
Jeff Dickison
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, well written, well plotted, exciting in parts, with a good ending. Why not 5 stars? Too much computer crap. Take out the computer nonsense and this book would have been 100 pages shorter. I am a fan of Connelly, but I am not a fan of computers. It's like being in love with your typewriter. Recommended to Connelly fans and to computer nerds everywhere.
Nancy Newcomer
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Think I read this when it came out in 2009 but didn't remember most of it. It's about an investigative reporter, Jack McEvoy (not his better known protagonist Harry Bosch, detective.) It's a well told thriller with some nice twists and turns and a surprising ending. Didn't go where I thought it was headed. Pretty sure it is setting up a sequel which I'm pretty sure I read also. Anyway, always a pleasure to read M. Connelly. Still prefer the Bosch series, but this was a good read.
Carol
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To me, three great Michael Connelly books to read in a row are 1) The Poet, 2) The Narrows and
3) The Scarecrow. They fit well together. The first two feature The Poet, journalist Jack McEvoy and FBI Agent Rachel Walling. Jack and Rachel continue in The Scarecrow. I have read and re-read each book and think they are among the best that Michael Connelly has ever written.
David Highton
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, only the second in the Jack McEvoy series after a long gap since the Poet, which I read years ago. Moves with a good pace and with a crescendo at the end. FBI agent Rachel Walling, who has popped up in a number of Harry Bosch books, notably Echo Park, emerges again as a main character in this book.
Kathy
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm gratified I found it necessary to do a bit of backtracking/filling in of books I missed in this series as this Jack McEvoy + Rachel W of FBI coupling to catch a serial killer was a satisfying read for a couple of reasons. Both were under fire at work, losing and regaining their jobs. Then the added attraction of vibrant, gritty scenes of the newspaper business as it was.
With Jack instrumental in earlier Poet investigation, this serial killer, "the scarecrow" was well aware of who he was up
Michael
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2009
Michael Connelly's continues to expand his fictional universe beyond the confines of Harry Bosch--and that's a good thing. It's not that I don't like Bosch, but it really seems that Connelly's better efforts these days are when Bosch isn't the central focus of the novel.

At the front and center of his latest book, "The Scarecrow" is former Rocky Mountain News reporter, Jack McEvoy. As the book begins, Jack has been downsized from his beat at the Los Angeles Times and given two weeks to train his
William
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slow start, rambling and disjointed, not up to Connelly's best standards.

However, once Rachel Walling enters the picture, the pace picks up to wonderful speeds. The FBI are generally not treated as idiots in this book (finally), and Rachel is presented as a driven and competent personna.

Unlike in The Poet and The Narrows, this time I bought her relationship to McEvoy as "the single bullet" theory of love, even if McEvoy is someone less than worthy of her. (As you see most of the time in Real
Georg
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, english
After „The Poet“ and „The Brass verdict“ this is a huge disappointment. After a short exposition you can easily guess how this thriller will end.

McEvoy is a weak and flat character, and his girl-friend, Rachel, is still worse. An autistic and arrogant bitch who, only one day after McEvoy has saved her life, is irritated when he calls her. “This’d better be good,” is all she says. Both have one thing in common: total lack of humor.

What I've always noticed in Connelly’s novels is his
Nicky
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Every few years I go through a thriller phase - I can't get enough of the pulpy stuff that authors like Grisham and Dan Brown churn out. The matchmaking feature on my Kindle thought I might enjoy The Scarecrow (still not sure why), so I took the bait, and now I'm prepping myself for a summer full of legal and newspaper-centric thrillers.
I guess I like these sort of books because they don't require anything from me - they're entertaining and procedural, they provide a glimpse into life as an
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Michael Connelly can be a little hit and miss in his books, but this one is a solid bounce back from his original Jack McEvoy attempt over a decade earlier. It is much more exciting and while the story is different, it seems to flow in a much better fashion. I suppose, THIS is the type of story I expected from a reporter first person story. It has thrills and excitement and all that jazz.

The charatcers seem to work much better and the killer that they hunt is also much more mysterious than the
Donna
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the 25th book by Michael Connelly that I've read. He is my second most-read male author. I loved his Harry Bosch series. He is consistent and solid in his writing.

This book is the second book in the Jack McEvoy series (I haven't read the first one yet.) I enjoyed this one, like I do most of his books. I like the characters Jack and Rachel. I also liked that Jack worked for the newspaper and tried to navigate within that dying industry.

Michael Connelly writes a great story. They are
Anastasia
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly is the second Jack McEvoy book. Investigative reporter Jack McEvoy has been given his pink slip from the L.A. Times and is given 2 weeks notice and decides to go out with a major prize-winning story. He focuses on a 16 year old drug dealer Alonzo Winslow who has been arrested for a brutal murder, but soon finds there is more to the story and the boy is innocent. Another fast paced book with plenty of twists and turns that you just cannot put down. Jack teams up ...more

• Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher, #13)
  • Heat Lightning (Virgil Flowers, #2)
  • Deliver Us from Evil (A. Shaw, #2)
  • Chasing Darkness (Elvis Cole, #12)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Rough Country (Virgil Flowers, #3)
  • The Lovers (Charlie Parker, #8)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • One Good Deed
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • The Watchman (Elvis Cole, #11; Joe Pike, #1)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • Red Eye: Patrick Kenzie vs. Harry Bosch: An Original Short Story
  • Unofficial Series List - Michael Connelly - In Order: Harry Bosch, Mickey Haller, and others
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his

Jack McEvoy (3 books)
  • The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #5)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
“There were a billion lights out there on the horizon and I knew that all of them put together weren't enough to light the darkness in the hearts of some men.” 61 likes
“Now I” 1 likes